Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best way to play each power

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Best way to play each power Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best way to play each power - 8/14/2004 8:33:05 PM   
9thlegere

I realise that there is a small advice sheet at the back of the old rule book but I have played EIA with the same group of friends (4 of us) for about ten years now.

I just wanted to see what kind of strategy people used that may give me some ideas (or and edge!) the next time we play.

I also realise this is a large question so why not try and just answer your favourite countires strategy.

What do you look to do in the first few turns?

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/14/2004 9:31:28 PM   
Pippin

#1 Build Units
#2 Don't piss anyone off

Keep in mind, rule #2 will be broken as I eye the situation and in later rounds find someone to POUNCE on (if not jumped on first).

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 2
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/15/2004 6:23:30 AM   
vonpaul

Depends on the Power, ALOT of EIA is diplomacy, that is going to be hard to replicate in a game with AI. As France its divide and conqurer!

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 3
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/15/2004 12:23:18 PM   
9thlegere

What I really meant is in the first few turns.....

As Prussia do you find it is worth creating Poland. Do you attack or ally with Hesse? etc

As Austria do you look at taking Bavaria by conquest and try taking Italian provinces?

I have seen a French player declare war on nearly everyone in the very first turn to avoid the PP loss. (I don't actually remember now if you can declare war on someone at the start of the game without losing the PPs. We may have just made this an inhouse rule but I cant remember now.

Do the Turks every try and take parts of Italy? Or the Russians with Corfu? Do they try Italy?

Anyone have a particularly favourite ploy?

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 4
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/15/2004 1:43:01 PM   
pfnognoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: 9thlegere

As Prussia do you find it is worth creating Poland. Do you attack or ally with Hesse? etc

As everything else it depends on diplomacy. If you are sure about your Anti-Franch alliance with Russia and Austria, then it would be a good idea to create Poland for morale boosting puposes. Later if things go bad you ceed them to Russia before you surrender to France. On the other hand if Russia isn't a good friend you know and trust then you don't create them because France will take it from you... Anti-French alliance is important for Prussia because of its lack of decent leaders at the beggining. If there is no coalition then you could even seek audience with Napoleon and make some kind of a deal, but that is only an option number two, because he will sooner or later run out of enemies and pounce on you as well...

quote:

As Austria do you look at taking Bavaria by conquest and try taking Italian provinces?

If the coalition is strong enough, maybe you can do that, but it will be even better to let France declare and than bid for control so you get an extra corps to boost your strength. As for the Italy you must negotiate this conquest with Spain because they will look at Italy as well and as Austria you should not make extra enemies...

quote:

I have seen a French player declare war on nearly everyone in the very first turn to avoid the PP loss. (I don't actually remember now if you can declare war on someone at the start of the game without losing the PPs. We may have just made this an inhouse rule but I cant remember now.

It is an option but just for major powers. They can decide before the start, by mutual agreement, that they start at war with eachother.

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 5
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/15/2004 2:05:50 PM   
ktotwf

I would think that a big part of being Turkey would be founding the Ottoman Empire to get the +1 Morale Bonus.

(in reply to pfnognoff)
Post #: 6
Two Germany suggestions - 8/15/2004 5:40:18 PM   
meyerg

Austria and Prussia strategy:

Ally with each other. Too many times I have seen France (sometimes me), convince Austria or Prussia to join the dark side. At the beginning of the game, France is at its weakest.

I have seen the Austria-Prussia alliance smashed when France surrender to one for generous peace terms and pounds the other. It is amazing how tough it is to be pounded by three French corps your buddy could have popped and not be bitter.

As for forming Poland, it is usually best to wait for some leaders so you have some chance of keeping Poland. Some of our Russian players are so greedy, form Poland as Prussia and you see the Russian player at war with you to "get Poland and keep it from France".

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 7
Interesting British strategy - 8/15/2004 5:46:47 PM   
meyerg

A friend of mine believes Britain is in charge of keeping the anti-French alliance together. When someone is not quite on board and are not listening to reason, he suspends trade, declares war, and takes the full amount of victory points he can per turn from them. It is amazing how many people decide getting on his bad side is not worth it.

(in reply to meyerg)
Post #: 8
RE: Interesting British strategy - 8/15/2004 9:12:41 PM   
yammahoper

Well, with the British, I like to go for Denmark first. Russia and Spain may have their sights set on it, but as an island nation, other majors are far less likely to declare war if they KNOW they will not be able to get a corp on the island. While that is happening, I build infantry at my first eco phase because GB must keep all its ports garrisoned if it wishes to not be tied up the entire game in blockading enemy fleets.

For any nation, part of the key in grabbing minors is not to rush. Let them be a steady flow of PP over the first year. When those monors run out, war is only a heart beat away.

As the French I like to seize a few monors, but let Pr and Au get some as well. I talk to the Spanish and offer a few weak Italian nations, get the Turk going into Africa (to keep all that cheap man power out of the Brits hands) and get ready to pound the leaderless Pr come spring. A few minors and a bit of Italy can keep the Au at bay. After crushing the Pr armym, and the French NEED to severly reduce its size by 25 to 35 factors, I then prepare to rape Au. France can win the game simply beating the snot out of thses two powers, which makes for a rough game if you are Pr or Au. Problem: Gb is always determined to not let this happen.

Prussia is very hard to play the first year. Basically, make two army stacks and spread out the rest of your corps. Garrison all your capitals. Go for a few minors, and when France attacks, get in bed with the Au. If you can, get the Spanish and Russian also, although Sp is so weak at the start this is unlikely. Fr will drive for Berlin, so keep your main army there, but move OUT with the rest and attempt to harrass the invaders, taking french provincial capitals, minors, depots, etc. The Fr will swarm, which will releive the Au and allow them to advance. Even the Brit can land two corps and march on Paris. You will need to sell the others that Fr is the enemy and the REAL threat, and early action can win the day. Good luck on that, cuz you have almost nothing to offer in exchange.

Russia, focus on Sweden and gaining some territory in the med. You will need one fleet to speed up the march into sweden. The other two can be at corfu for med expansion, or in the black sea if you 1)want to fight the turk, or 2)will keep freindly relations with the turk so you can come and go at will. After a year of building, you will have to choose a power to smack around.

Turkey, get into africa and get a rich ally, probably the french.

Austria, grow. Dont worry about your eastern front in the beginning, you have the insurrection corps to slow down turkish advances. Gain some territory, and decide if you want to ally with the Pr, which will mean an early war against Fr in all likelyhood. When Fr does attack, use the mountains to your advantage. If Fr attacks you in the mountains, you will be better off. He he walks past you, you will have many options to disrupt his invasion.

Spain, slow growth is the idea and only way. Choose ur side early, and stick it out. War with Turkey and Russia are two goals you can reach and win.

yamma

(in reply to meyerg)
Post #: 9
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/15/2004 9:31:43 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: 9thlegere

Before the game begins you can DOW anyone (EDIT: meaning major powers here, obviuosly not minor countries) you want without losing any PPs. I don't know if Matrix has implemented this, but the real game sure did. As France, I personally think it is a mistake to DOW Pr and Au in the beginning.

As the first reply to this thread, I ALMOST ALWAYS try to build units and not piss anyone off for the first year. Grab some minors and get an army and get some allies, if needed.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/15/2004 7:33:29 PM >

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 10
RE: Interesting British strategy - 8/15/2004 10:59:06 PM   
Pippin

For a while I have been thinking on writing one of those strategic essays for EiA/EiH. At least in regards to the British player. However I guess I can state a few BASICS for now as I don’t know when I’ll get around to it..

The major pieces to master for Britain IMHO is the navy. You have the biggest and the best, so take full advantage of it. Don’t do something stupid like early start trading it away for little gains. Yes , we have all seen those newbies who decided to do those portraids and smash em face on into the port-guns just to eliminate some French pieces. Well great, you’ve lost a big chunk of your navy for someone else’s fleet that certainly was no where near as useful as yours, so what have you gained in comparison to your loss?

Watch the channel! Make sure France can not just march across easily into your territory. In other words, use your fleet once again to ensure this is not possible, so keep it safe and within reach of home. In other words, don’t go off sailing your navy halfway around the world without expecting to pay the repercussions afterwards. There are some players who will let you get away with this, if I am France, I will definitely give you a raping for it! I will even get an ally or two, or three to join me in the beating you are about to get!

Beware of joined forces. Once again, you may have the best navy..but what happens when a few opponents stack together and:

#1. Secure the channel crossing… (I sense your doom coming soon after this)
#2. Lock you into a port… (Can basically make your fleet useless for the rest of the game)
#3. Some worse fates yet to come..

Be very cautions of splitting up your navy. Now, yes there are often multiple gains by doing so but… can you afford to risk this? Keep in mind many players love nothing else but to see Britain get greedy and weakening her naval stacks… It takes 1000x more effort to break a British navy when it is fully stacked, than to jump onto it while in little clumps.

Keep Nelson protected! And for god’s stake don’t put him with a tiny scout group either! Besides the attack bonus, that windgage is one of the biggest naval winning factors. That extra +1 modifier for wind gauge will often help to spell doom for your opponent(s), it will also cause a major decrease in the ships you lose. That first strike effect is more important than a lot of players realize. Nelson is more important than the extra +1 political point he gives, though that is another nice benefit of course. Remember, the larger stack Nelson is on, the more ships he can help give the first strike bonus to. This is huge.

Do not lose your dominant status! Look at the key territories you need to watch out for. Gibraltar, Malta, etc. These are very easily taken from you if your opponents wish. Make sure you have a plan to prevent losing the last territory that will cause you to lose that dominant status.

Britain also can chose when to do its naval movement. Use this to your advantage. No one else has this ability.

The “Pippin Death-Grip Special“:

One of my favourite moves… look for an opponent who has been bottled up in port, or had to flee there. If you suspect the port is under garrisoned, block the bastard in (assuming you haven’t pursued him). Lock and hold him locked in there while sitting in the BB and hit the garrison with your grunts. If it fails, it’s not the end of the world… But if you get in… he can say goodbye to his ships.

Only problem is if you do this too well, there may not be enough enemy ships left to gain PP points for the rest of the game :P

Too many things to mention here.. But on a side note, I will trade with everyone EXCEPT for France. Not only does this make things a little more frustrating for the big boss, but it seems to win more trust over the other players.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to meyerg)
Post #: 11
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/17/2004 12:43:59 AM   
9thlegere

Very good Pippin. I have never seen the "death grip special" I hardly ever play GB, but now I fancy it just to try and bottle someones fleet up and take it en-masse!

We have playeed this game for over 10 years and I have never seen that happen......

Wonder what else people have up there sleves.............

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 12
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/17/2004 4:25:04 AM   
meyerg

I have seen Britain offer money to people who force blockaded ships to sail. Many a Prussian or Austrian will take out fleets if there are big $$$ in it for them. Otherwise, it is not a good risk.

Many Austrian and Prussians think having a French fleet to keep the British in check is somewhat useful, but when offered hard cash to help scuttle French ships of the line cannot resist.
Greg

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 13
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/17/2004 11:03:26 PM   
Madcombinepilot

don't be too hasty in the 'death grip'.

Nothing is more satisfying than having an ally and running the port guns a couple times (spain will usually go with you when France is taxing her). If you run the guns a couple times, you can split the casualties and get the PP's. If you have 'death gripped' someone, you are on your own....

(in reply to meyerg)
Post #: 14
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/18/2004 11:39:30 AM   
Forward_March

The Pippin Death-grip....I'd never considered such a tactic....usually because I never considered playing Britain. What a nasty Idea. Should I play anyone with a fleet, I'll keep some garrisons handy.

Russia is probably second easiest to play in the game...Britain being the easiest for the many obvious reasons.

Anyway, subjugating Sweden has to be the first move...followed quickly by making it a free state.

There's no need to be in a rush to join Austria and Prussia in an anti-French coalition unless it's backed by a considerable amount of british gold going straight into the Tsar's coffers. Neither Austria or Prussia has anything to offer Russia...I don't see them offering up their spoils from the partitioning of Poland..do you?
And any state far from the Russia (like Wurtemmburg or Bavaria) is too far away to protect.

And, should there be no British gold in the offing, your nearest and southernmost neighbor has some nice provinces that will go a long way toward giving Russia dominant power status...as well as keeping the game from being too boring for Alexander.
Add to that that except for the Janissaries, the Turks really have no staying power, and marching south should be relatively easy. Should that advance be accompanied by miserable luck with the die, the Russian hinterland is a great place to starve your enemy to death.
Those pesky Turks shouldn't be allowed to aggrandize too much, anyway;)

(in reply to Madcombinepilot)
Post #: 15
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/18/2004 8:14:05 PM   
mattbirra

I agree with you, Forward_March, Russia has a distend situation in game, but not that much ...
If Russia starts to rush Prussia or Austria, will give a winning status to France, and that's something Great Britain , should not allowed... I have seen a powerfull Great Britain (1809-1810) stealing Sweden and all Russia's minor countries, disembarking and taking St. Petersburg (allied with Turks attack from the south) just because Russia was playing against Prussia ... and thats a lot VP's for Russia ... plus loosing its fleets makes Russia became almost nothing ... waiting for later Prussia + GB coalition ...
In fact, Great Britain should let Russia play that way and soon GB will find allies (say Turks) to win some VP's that will make absolutely win the game (rushing Russian fleet is one of the biggest gifts to GB in game)...
So, if balance is to be kept, Russia should play a coalition against France, to win a few VP's , wars against Turk (no one will say a word but France) and let everybody crush Great Britian and France (mainly Britain)

In my humble opinion ...

(in reply to Forward_March)
Post #: 16
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/18/2004 11:50:19 PM   
ktotwf

Somethings wrong with this game if Austria and Prussia can easily whip France. Napoleon beat each of them quite easily, on several separate occasions.

It should take Austria+Russia+Prussia to take down Napoleon. Unless of course the other commander is Wellington, then Britain might have a chance.

< Message edited by ktotwf -- 8/18/2004 9:56:11 PM >

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 17
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 12:30:25 AM   
Pippin

You may be right but it is unwise to put TOO much faith in history, or logic for that matter when playing the board game. We are after all, playing out with random dice on an overly simplified and abstracted system here. Not to mention, different players altogether :P

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 18
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 12:36:41 AM   
ktotwf

quote:

You may be right but it is unwise to put TOO much faith in history, or logic for that matter when playing the board game. We are after all, playing out with random dice on an overly simplified and abstracted system here. Not to mention, different players altogether :P

Yeah. The famous saying is "If you want to see history repeated, go read a book."

Ah well, it wouldn't be any fun if you can't change history, but then again it wouldn't be fun if Napoleon was a pansy either.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 19
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 9:22:46 AM   
eg0master

My experience is that even if Austria and Prussia work together closely it is an even match with France. The reason France usually (and in history) wins is that Austria and Prussia don't work closely enough and/or don't trust each other 100%. Also if France has the initiative, there is a good chance to catch one of the enemies main armies and destroy them before they get the chance to work together.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 20
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 3:02:59 PM   
Manfred

I've got a question about Russia :
do you have to take both capitals (Moscow & St Petersburg) to make her lose all money at the economic step ?
I've played EiA for years and my friends always considered that taking only one capital was sufficient for it, but I've always been skeptic about it. So who's right ?

(in reply to eg0master)
Post #: 21
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 3:21:51 PM   
eg0master

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manfred

I've got a question about Russia :
do you have to take both capitals (Moscow & St Petersburg) to make her lose all money at the economic step ?
I've played EiA for years and my friends always considered that taking only one capital was sufficient for it, but I've always been skeptic about it. So who's right ?

Rule 8.2.1.2.1.5 states thet both Russian capitals have to be occupied by unbesieged enemy troops in order to deny Russa trade.

8.2.1.1 Also states that Russa may not collect any money at all if ONE of the capitals are occupied by enemy unbesieged factors.

So you are both right in a way but your friends are more right...

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

(in reply to Manfred)
Post #: 22
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 8:42:49 PM   
fjbn

I don't think so. France is at its weakest point in the begining. If Rusia began to divert its forces in Sweden, Mediterranean, etc. It will have few forces to face France; and Prussia and Austria will be destroyed individually. Austria and Prusia have only a good general (Charles) but maybe it won't be enough.

You have to think that if Russia doesn´t join the coalition from the star and makes a previous DOW to france, maybe in january Spain will join its navy with France and will make a sortie against Royal Navy in february, disembarking in England.

My recomendation: deploy a very strong fleet in Corfu to join the Royal navy in the blockade and negociate the conditions with England. Maybe 35 gold per phase, Sweden and par or the whole of Denmark. This will create a strong Russian Navy and leave forces enough to attack Turkey ot others.

Post #: 23
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/19/2004 9:14:52 PM   
rhodopsine

I'd be surprised that Britain would allow the Russian to have both the Dane and Swede fleet. The game is long and alliances are easily broken. I'd be suspicious as a Russian if England allowed me to have both of those 2 fleet and then give me that much money. As for Prussia and Austria, I would consider to threaten them to invade if one would surrender with nice conditions leaving the other one at the mercy of the French. Going to war with France early in the game is probably the way to go, but let the German fight most of it. You have the leisure to sent 4-5 corps around Berlin or even in Silesia and wait for the French to show up, and put some pressure on the Turk so that Austria don't get a visit in their back

The Pr-Au forces are still pretty tough to beat, if played intelligently at the start of the game because they can generally field more men then the French and it finally turns out as an attrition war. France must keep a sizable amount of troops in it's home country to garrison it's ports and the Paris/Channel sector. Au-Pr can usually field around 150 factors while France can field 100 factors. Of course, they'll lose lots of battles, but in the end, France will be seriously depleted. The problem is really to keep the strong Pr-Au alliance.

Martin Paradis

(in reply to fjbn)
Post #: 24
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/20/2004 3:01:22 PM   
fjbn

Of course you're right about the convenience of a strong and serious Pru-Au alliance, but my experience is that Prusia will commit its forces if Russia is behind, because if Prussia losses many factors doesn't have the manpower nor the gold to replace the losses, specially cavalry losses, and Prussia has horrible leaders in the beginning. I fact, playing as Prussia I asked the Russian to send me only one corp and Bagration (tactical 4) to balance the fight against France.

About Denmark, maybe not the whole of it, but you can get Norway, and leave Denmark and its fleet to the brit.

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 25
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/21/2004 1:02:10 AM   
Forward_March

quote:

ORIGINAL: fjbn

My recomendation: deploy a very strong fleet in Corfu to join the Royal navy in the blockade and negociate the conditions with England. Maybe 35 gold per phase, Sweden and par or the whole of Denmark. This will create a strong Russian Navy and leave forces enough to attack Turkey ot others.

I've tried this same tactic...but Britain changed his mind and decided that running the 20 guns of Corfu and destroying what Russian ships were there was a better option...I've little doubt that some form of Pippin Death Grip would happen here again.

Like someone else said, alliances are broken easily. And Corfu is a long way from Russia...and very undergunned.

(in reply to fjbn)
Post #: 26
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/21/2004 3:30:26 PM   
YohanTM2

No way I would put a large fleet in Corfu (except maybe against the AI)

You are begging for it to be wiped out.

Post #: 27
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/21/2004 7:13:06 PM   
fjbn

I don't understand you. If Russia is atacked in Corfu in january 1805 it means that GB prefers a Russia allied to France.That means that Prussia and Austria will be destroyed.

By the way, if GB atacks Russia in Corfú, risking an attack of harbour defences (OK, only 20, but they attack first) how many ships are blockading French Navy? and what about Spanish Navy?.

I think this is not a good strategy. You can attack Russia only after France has been defeated, not before.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 28
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/22/2004 12:04:14 AM   
Forward_March

quote:

ORIGINAL: fjbn

I don't understand you. If Russia is atacked in Corfu in january 1805 it means that GB prefers a Russia allied to France.That means that Prussia and Austria will be destroyed.

By the way, if GB atacks Russia in Corfú, risking an attack of harbour defences (OK, only 20, but they attack first) how many ships are blockading French Navy? and what about Spanish Navy?.

I think this is not a good strategy. You can attack Russia only after France has been defeated, not before.

Perhaps it isn't a good strategy. But with Spain not alligned with France, and a British player who seeks to ensure that no combination of navies can be brought against it, it works in their favor. They have enough to ensure they can blockade France, and still take out the Russians in Corfu.

The Brits have always been made jumpy by any power who sought parity with their navy. This is the main reason why Britain sought to change their long-lived enmity with France before the outbreak of WWI. It is the same reason that French sailors died at Oran some 20-odd years later.

Placing a lot of trust in Britain will never be easy unless the English players shows himself wothy of such trust over a period of time.

(in reply to fjbn)
Post #: 29
RE: Best way to play each power - 8/22/2004 12:15:23 AM   
fjbn

Yes, but showing that strategy is a clear sign to Spain that it's better to ally with France, because now it's clear for everybody that Britain considers every foreign fleet a menace, so, if Spain wants to preserve her fleet, there is only one way, coalition with France and Russia, and this is a very superior sea power.

You say that atacking foreign fleets its a British tradition (Coppenhague, Oran, etc), and you are right, but continental strategy were in two ways: don't let other countries to build strong navies and, more important, don't let any country or coalition of countries to dominate Europe, because Britain knows that, if a power dominates the continent, he will have concentrate his forces building a very strong navy.

Striking Russian Navy in Corfu instead offering an alliance is suicidal because you don't kill Russian navy, throw Russia and probably Spain into France's arms and create a coalition with no match in Europe. A coalition joined with an aim: to destroy Britain.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Best way to play each power Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI