Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix- someone is ripping you off

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Matrix- someone is ripping you off Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:06:34 PM   
watchtower

Hi - just done a search on ebay uk looking for books on the pacific war and someone is offering WITP for £4.99 definately a pirate by the looks of it - seller is in china. You might want to get ebay to squash it!!
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:16:03 PM   
rogueusmc

a couple have been reported.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:21:50 PM   
Sultanofsham

quote:

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Hi - just done a search on ebay uk looking for books on the pacific war and someone is offering WITP for £4.99 definately a pirate by the looks of it - seller is in china. You might want to get ebay to squash it!!

Hes selling 4 copies of it. Not to bright.

Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:27:40 PM   
watchtower

Cheeky begger has put a link to The WITP page as well!!!

(in reply to Sultanofsham)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:29:14 PM   
DrewMatrix

Hopefully the perpetrator lives in a country with good copyright laws and really awful jails

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:34:08 PM   
Sultanofsham

Got to love this too:

GAME Pack with CD Sleeve - this is not the regular GAME hard casing (Amaray Case)
Original GAME Hard Casing (Amaray Case) is replacing by GAME soft Sleeve is because:
1. This Packaging Better Protects the GAME from Scratches.
2. Easy to store your GAME s and Save a lot's of space.
3. Off course, it helps us save on some Cost FOR POSTAGE

This guy need a beating.

Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:38:49 PM   
neuromancer

They said China. Which means there is ZERO that can be done to the seller personally.

Of course if the Chinese government decides the game is 'politically incorrect', he could be arrested and shot for spreading of seditious materials.

I wonder where they print the CDs for this game (like the one I got that had my name on it, but not the name of the game). Often that is where the piracy starts, copies stollen straight from the factory. Possibly the original ISOs so they can just burn their own CDs at home!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:42:02 PM   
DrewMatrix

Heck, if it's from China it may BE the Chinese government.

Can't 2x3 do something to stop Ebay from trafficking in pirated copies, though?

(in reply to neuromancer)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/18/2004 11:49:41 PM   
watchtower

It's a definate no -no to sell pirate copies of anything on ebay - the sellers rating is zero as well so the whole thing is bogus. If anyone is fool enough to go for it, I bet they will see zip apart from a hole in their paypal account and a negative feedback after.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 12:11:03 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

It's a definate no -no to sell pirate copies of anything on ebay - the sellers rating is zero as well so the whole thing is bogus. If anyone is fool enough to go for it, I bet they will see zip apart from a hole in their paypal account and a negative feedback after.

One day they will make this stuff a criminal act instead of a civil court issue ... only way to ever cure it for good ... pirate and go to jail.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 12:12:20 AM   
watchtower

Have just reported the offending listings to ebay: it's a little gang of em selling pirate DVD's, games etc. looking at the feedbacks a lot of people have got ripped off by these guy's. Suprised ebay hasn't squashed em already. I hate Pirates - apart from the type that say "Avast, me hearties!" - Hang 'em from the yardarm

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 12:36:33 AM   
DrewMatrix

IIRC the traditional punishment for piracy is to be "hung between the tides" ie you hang the person on the mudflats. I think you tar his body and put a metal cage around it (so it doesn't fall apart too quick). Then you just leave the body there, sometimes in the water and at low tide out of the water.

So ships coming and going can take a look at it.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 12
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 2:29:51 AM   
tanjman

Ah! Them were the good ole days matey when the ships were made of wood and the men had iron heads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

IIRC the traditional punishment for piracy is to be "hung between the tides" ie you hang the person on the mudflats. I think you tar his body and put a metal cage around it (so it doesn't fall apart too quick). Then you just leave the body there, sometimes in the water and at low tide out of the water.

So ships coming and going can take a look at it.

Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 13
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 2:38:52 AM   
RUPD3658

This is the cop in me:

Step 1. Someone from Matrix should buy the CD he is selling. He probably got it via digital download and this has a serial # that can be traced.

Step 2. Block that serial # from being allowed to register/recieve patches.

Step 3. If the original serial # was downloaded by someone in a country with copyright laws have the authorities go speak to him and find out how pirated copies of HIS copy got made.

I deal with E-Bay fraud all the time. If it is within the USA it is pretty easy to file charges. A little detective work will identify your suspect and a good forensic analysis of the hard drive makes the cases air tight in court and often uncovers other crimes. Plus we get to seize their computer equipment because it was used in the commission of a crime.

Best thing you can do to these people is call the Postal Inspector's Service. If it goes through the mail it is a federal crime.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 14
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 2:42:34 AM   
RUPD3658

Just looked at the listing and it claims to be in the UK. Any Brits want to pay him a visit?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 15
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 3:24:51 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Just looked at the listing and it claims to be in the UK. Any Brits want to pay him a visit?

There ya go...let him have a 'bobby' up side the head....They can't pistol whip him...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 16
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 3:35:40 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

This is the cop in me:

Step 1. Someone from Matrix should buy the CD he is selling. He probably got it via digital download and this has a serial # that can be traced.

Step 3. If the original serial # was downloaded by someone in a country with copyright laws have the authorities go speak to him and find out how pirated copies of HIS copy got made.

I deal with E-Bay fraud all the time. If it is within the USA it is pretty easy to file charges. A little detective work will identify your suspect and a good forensic analysis of the hard drive makes the cases air tight in court and often uncovers other crimes. Plus we get to seize their computer equipment because it was used in the commission of a crime.

Best thing you can do to these people is call the Postal Inspector's Service. If it goes through the mail it is a federal crime.
If you ask me, i think their might be a connection to the mysterious "back-up CD" disappearances from Digital River. How could SO many people have not gotten them, myself included ( Ordered July 2nd), they must have gone somewhere.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 17
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 10:25:31 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

This is the cop in me:

Only problem i see is what if the persons cracked the way the serial numbers work?

Then the serial number might be a legit number of a legal purchaser?

You would then be going avter someone who has had "identity thiefted"

< Message edited by Cmdrcain -- 8/20/2004 1:48:19 AM >

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 18
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 2:28:16 PM   
Marc von Martial

We´re aware of the situation and reported to Ebay. We also contacted all bidders

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 19
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 4:19:54 PM   
carnifex

quote:

One day they will make this stuff a criminal act instead of a civil court issue ... only way to ever cure it for good ... pirate and go to jail.

Yeah, lol you gonna go to Beijing or Volgograd to serve that warrant?

Anyway, no need to make this a federal case on our end. All that Matrix has to do is send a copy of the OOB for scen 15 to the People's Republic and once they take a look at the sorry-ass Communist forces in this game they will find the seller, charge him with Crimes Against The People, and take him out to a little room with a bloody hay bale in one corner.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 20
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 4:52:44 PM   
Feinder

Hm. Interesting thot (potentially) connecting the missing CDs from Digital River. Hadn't even thunked of that. But I wouldn't be surprised if that did account for lost CDs. Not that Digital River (idiots) are involved in this mess, but simply I wouldn't be surprised if some of their missing CDs were somehow involved with this).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 21
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 5:05:16 PM   
Maserati

The Chinese forces may suck, but I took Bangkok with Chinese troops in May 1942 (against the AI). If they've had MY luck the PLA will give them a medal.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 22
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 6:14:20 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

Hopefully the perpetrator lives in a country with good copyright laws and really awful jails

If it's China, forget about it. China, aka, Piracy Central.... and not much can be done about them, either...

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 23
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 6:17:20 PM   
UncleBuck

Well we could tell them we may withold Most Favored Nations status for them.. oh wait we already gave the Commies that didn't we?

There isn't much we can do about that nest of Evil.

UB

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 24
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 6:50:12 PM   
Wilhammer

BTW, WiTP was available for download on Usenet about a week and a half ago.

It is also on emule now.

You see the CD key and the cracked patches there too.

The horse has left the stable.

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 25
RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off - 8/19/2004 7:13:35 PM   
Damien Thorn

Don't think that all Chinese are pirates and crooks. In China it costs about 100 Yuan for two people to go see a movie. In spending power that is abou the same as 100 US dollars. They could buy a pirated DVD for about 5 yuan instead (and sometimes do) but the theaters I went to were still full.

I agree these guys should be punished because they are selling something that does not belong to them and has real value (i.e. a current computer game that people would pay rel money for). I look at it differently though if it was something that was say, five years old and not available through legitimate channels or the original company was out of business. There needs to be an expiration date on intellectual property that is much shorter than the current 50+ years. For computers 5 years is a lifetime and a half. Heck, it's hard to even make games tht old run on current computers. Like I said though, that doesn't apply to this guy who is pirating a current game.

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Matrix- someone is ripping you off Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI