Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MC Watchtower "Insert Disk 2" Error....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MC Watchtower "Insert Disk 2" Error.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MC Watchtower "Insert Disk 2" Error.... - 2/8/2002 12:49:00 PM   
sg

I know this has been posted before but I can't find the thread on it. I just got MC-LV and MC-W. MC-LV installed ok by running the update.exe file directly from the cd but half way through the MC-W install it started asking for disk 2. What do I do now? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.
Post #: 1
- 2/8/2002 7:09:00 PM   
Supervisor

Did you install LV or MC-WT first. You should install WT first because in LV there is a special updated Norway OOB that would have gotten overwitten by an older one from WT. On WT CD install the full program using setup.exe, this will install both full version of SPWAW version 7 and the MegaCampaign. See if that helps, typically your error signifies an incomplete/corrupted zipped data package, but your the first to have a problem with that CD that I've heard. Let us know how things go, we may have to contact help desk for a replacement if we can't work through it. On LV CD the autorun menu causes problems if you just try update, so my suggestion is also to install it using the setup.exe instead of just upgrading. Keep us informed. Good luck [ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 2
- 2/9/2002 10:34:00 AM   
sg

Ok, I finally got all 3 MC's to work with just a little effort. For those of you experiencing the installation blues, heres what I did.
1. Copied entire spwaw folder to a backup folder.
2. Load spwaw ver5.3 and MCNA from desert fox cd. (autorun worked perfectly and no nested folders)
3. When complete, do complete shutdown, not restart.
4. Load spwaw ver7 and MCW from watchtower cd. (again the autorun ran perfectly and no nested folders)
5. When complete, do complete shutdown, not restart.
6. Load MCLV from lost victories cd. Autorun won't work here, you have to manually start the UPDATE.EXE file on the cd. To avoid nested folders, just remove \LOST VICTORIES from the end of the destination folder location so it reads C:\MATRIX GAMES\STEEL PANTHERS WORLD AT WAR.
7. Restart when prompted.
8. Install MCNA patch using included instructions.
9. Install MCW patch using included instructions.
10. Copy all custom Campaigns, Scenarios, Maps and Save Game Files from your backed up folder. 10 easy steps to spwaw and mc bliss. Worked for me in about an hour. Never got the "insert disk two" error, as long as I did a complete shutdown between install procedures. Now, back to the desert..... Thanks, Steve

Ulysses Everett McGill.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 3
- 2/9/2002 12:18:00 PM   
Supervisor

The important things is that your up and running. Chalk one up to patience, never had issues with restart as opposed to complete shutdown. Will have to remember that in case it crops up again. I'll send you the beta 7.1 patch so you can enjoy the Mega's to the fullest until the final version of the patch is released very soon if you send me your email address. Thank you for the very informative step by step breakdown of installation. [ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 4
- 2/9/2002 12:35:00 PM   
sg

7.1 beta would be great, thanks. Email is sgraves46@home.com just updated my profile to include it...didn't realize it wasn't there. Thanks, Steve.

Ulysses Everett McGill.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 5
- 2/9/2002 12:41:00 PM   
Supervisor

It's on the way!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 6
- 2/9/2002 12:44:00 PM   
sg

Thanks, and by the way, congrats on the new forum "el supremo" title/job. Steve

Ulysses Everett McGill.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 7
- 2/9/2002 12:56:00 PM   
mogami

Hi, I think the important issue was using setup.exe rather then update.exe There is no machine difference between a shutdown and a restart (memory and TSR purged in both)
"insert disk2" is a holdover from bygone days when loading programs if a file could not be found the machine assumed it to be on another disk and requested it. Nowdays it means the file is bad or the disk is asking for a file that is not there. (up date requires a file already be present. Setup installs files.)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 8
- 2/9/2002 2:46:00 PM   
Bing

Mogami - I used to think the same, that there was no difference between shutdown and restart. I'm running Win98SE and there definitely is a difference for me. Right off the top, Windows reserves an extra block of memory, often 5 to 8 megs of RAM for a restart that it will not take for a cold boot. If I run certain apps - Train Sim is one of them - when I restart Windows will grab an extra 50 Megs of RAM. When I power down and then cold start, the 50 Megs always comes back. And it doesn't happen if I've been playing W@W or using lots of other apps - just certain apps and TS does it every time. Having 512 Megs RAM may have something to do with this, but it is apparent to me that certain functions occur during a warm restart that do not for a cold boot. That's the way it shows up on my Cacheman at any rate. Also: I can get that 50 Megs back by having Cacheman recover it, usually it requires three iterations. Does it matter in terms of performance? Probably not, the vcache and swap files are always there anyway. Memory usage has never been an easy topic, Windows has made it even more so and I don't even want to think about Me, 2K, or either flavor of XP. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 9
- 2/9/2002 3:40:00 PM   
mogami

Hi Bing, I wish I understood what you just said. 50meg? Conventional mem is just that first 640K
upper mem is from 641K to 1meg. Loading things 'High' or (UMB) saves that much conventional mem. All DOS applications take place in this first 640K (those loaded high can be pulled down as needed) Having 6000000meg of RAM in your machine would still produce 'out of memory' errors if there is not enough conventional. The 50 meg windows reserves is not RAM but space on your harddrive (virtual mem I think) The more Microsoft fiddles with it's versions of Windows the more in accessable it seems to make conventinal memory. But cleaning this first 640K up is what solves all these problems. Of course I did build and set up my machine with these old games in mind. My cold start and reboot produce exactly the same conventinal mem and resourse avaliable.
The only program I have never been able to get to run (3 differnet CD's) was High Heat Baseball, it goes black screen lock up every time. My video card is on list of those that should work (and is properly installed) but I am pretty sure a black screen lock up is video not mem. But it has puzzled and confounded me every time. [ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 10
- 2/9/2002 9:35:00 PM   
Supervisor

Mogami, I agee with you on the issue of setup.exe as opposed to update.exe. The thing that puzzles me is I know of several instances of gamers updating MC WT and not doing forced full install without these issues. May be something a simple as a weak data cab file the update.exe routine. First complaint I've heard so far about it. I always prefered setup instead of updates anyway. The thing that I've hated with new setup routines is the issue of file checking and not replacing if its already present. Which is why Microsoft can be such a headache when trying to repair something that has a bad file ie: dll's. If it sees it they just get passed up no matter if it's corrupt or not. The important thing is, it's up and running and its certainly not the first and won't be the last time that someone got it working by unconventional means. [ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 11
- 2/9/2002 11:16:00 PM   
rich12545

Couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about the order in which the MCs should be installed. I, like others, installed df then lv then wt. Paul chimed in and said this was perfectly fine. Now you're saying it isn't because lv will have some incorrect oob files. Uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing is a job. Can you tell us which files from which disk can be copied where to avoid doing this?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 12
- 2/10/2002 12:10:00 AM   
Bing

Mogami - I hear you on conventional memory, I started this silly business from the DOS command line and my living depended upon it, so I was always aware of memory issues. Remembetr Blue Max and Quarterdeck? I do, they were DOS memory managers (I hope I got the names right, its been a looong time). Sorry, but the 50 Megs do indeed come out of RAM, they are reserved by Windows during the load routine and there really isn't a question about what is happening. First, out of the total of 512 I get 462 or so as available RAM (I will trust Cacheman to report RAM correctly, I have double and triple checked it against other apps that measure the same thing and it has always returned identical results). Then, instead of 408 or so being my final available RAM, the figure suddenly drops by 50~ Megs at the end of the Windows loading. You might not have this happen on your machine, perhaps you find it hard to believe it IS happening, however I assure you it does happen with my system. As said, it is only after I have been running certain apps that this happens, Microsoft Train Sim is notorious in this regard. Hasn't happened in the past week because I haven't run MSTS. Granted, Window is not USING that 50~ Megs at the time the load settles down and prior to me running anything - I load Cacheman and only Cachman durng my Win98 boot - and it varies a little depending upon my vcache settings - and I can get it back in the wink of an eye with Cacheman mem recovery - all the same Win98 is setting aside a block of RAM. I don't know how else the event could be interpreted - there are lots smarter people than myself that might be able to answer this. Why would it tell me it was doing this when it was not (of course anything is possible in an OS as complicated as Windows, I understand that). And why is so easy to get the 50 Megs back? If I had the answers to all the above, I wouldn't be talking to you guys, I would be rich and famous, like the Enron CEO. I don't pretend to UNDERSTAND all this, I just attempt to deal with it. A personal hunch is that a lot of what we see is due to programming the MS people ought to be ashamed of, but that's purely personal BTW, I'll stick with "setup.exe" when installing apps of just about any kind, it has worked fine for me. Once in a very great while the CD won't have a setup.exe - there are a very few I've seen this way. A lot of the shareware I download uses a setup.exe routine for installation, probably the majority. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 13
- 2/10/2002 12:14:00 AM   
Bing

Just occurred to me: Win998 grabbing the extra 50 Megs during load never happened prior to DirectX v8.0 - this might be a clue, might not. Bing

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 14
- 2/10/2002 12:21:00 AM   
Bing

Sorry, just one more little one: Mogami, my hair shirt with Windows has been Harpoon Classic, I cannot get it to run in Win98 no matter what and prior to the system I have now, there were no CD drivers that would work for me in a pure DOS environment. I finally gave up, a friend says he thinks it is the particular edition of Harp I bought on CD. I'mpretty sure the problem is DOS memory allocation but along came SPW@W and I haven't cared to expend the time and effort. Besides, some day we'll get Harpoon4, says Larry Bond - and he is an honorable man, I can tell you that. Bing

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 15
- 2/10/2002 12:39:00 AM   
rich12545

I play harpoon classic 97 (win95 program) and fyi there will be an update to that in about a month (check the usenet naval board) that looks good. I'm leery of h4 since h2 didn't turn out very well.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 16
- 2/10/2002 2:29:00 AM   
rich12545

quote:

Originally posted by rich12545:
Couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about the order in which the MCs should be installed. I, like others, installed df then lv then wt. Paul chimed in and said this was perfectly fine. Now you're saying it isn't because lv will have some incorrect oob files. Uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing is a job. Can you tell us which files from which disk can be copied where to avoid doing this?
Bump

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 17
- 2/10/2002 3:27:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

I play harpoon classic 97 (win95 program) and fyi there will be an update to that in about a month (check the usenet naval board) that looks good. I'm leery of h4 since h2 didn't turn out very well.
I heard really bad things about Classic 97, as bad as any at the time, but I never tried to use it. Ran the DOS vetrsion for a long time and once I disabled the songs that play after sinking a ship - or victory I forget which - the lockups stopped. I like Harp a lot, but from a graphics standpoint it is pretty ancient. Fleet Command was a bust out of the gate, but it looks like the Naval Warfare people did a lot with it - I couldn't keep up with their revisions and critical updates and required databases. I play for fun and FC looked to be not very much of it. Then there was that destroyer sim - the one where they left out the land forms becuase it was too much work for the programmers. Heck, in Harp I used to chase Ruski TF's right across the middle of Iceland - they wren't going to get away from me!! For me, when a sim gets to be so much work that you need to quit your fulltime job to keep up with it - Falcon 4.0 is like this for me - then I find something else to do. There's quite enough involved in keeping up with SPW@W and the satisfaction level is what counts - I find our beloved game as satisfying as any I've played on the computer. Now board ASL, well that was a different story. BTW, I classify paper Harpoon as maybe the best miniatures-based effort ever done - that I've seen over the years and its still going strong from what I here. Young officers used to do paper Harp in the wardroom during their off duty hours. Those were the days ..... Bing

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 18
- 2/10/2002 3:46:00 AM   
rich12545

I've been playing Harpoon since it came out way back when. Had a pc emulator on my Apple 2 gs just for that and empire. Harpoon Classic was the latest incarnation of that series and except for a few bugs I never had a problem with it. Sure the graphics are outdated as are spwaw, so what? The new update might be worth a look for you. They're calling it Harpoon 2002 and it's 97 without the bugs and with some enhancements.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 19
- 2/11/2002 4:45:00 AM   
swagman

quote:

I've been playing Harpoon since it came out way back when. Had a pc emulator on my Apple 2 gs just for that and empire. Harpoon Classic was the latest incarnation of that series and except for a few bugs I never had a problem with it. Sure the graphics are outdated as are spwaw, so what? The new update might be worth a look for you. They're calling it Harpoon 2002 and it's 97 without the bugs and with some enhancements.
Can you copy the URL of the usenet naval page into a post...this will enable those old time harpoon players to go to it direct instead of searching blind in planet internet. Much appreciated.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 20
- 2/11/2002 6:03:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by swagman:
Can you copy the URL of the usenet naval page into a post...this will enable those old time harpoon players to go to it direct instead of searching blind in planet internet. Much appreciated.
Good idea - I can't find it, though I did find an updated Harpoon"3" on the Naval Warfare page, I would prefer to go with the tried and true Classic Harpoon. Gosh, I hope he comes back ... Bing

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 21
- 2/11/2002 6:17:00 AM   
rich12545

It's not a url. It's usenet, a newsgroup. Go to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.naval. The head of the development has been posting there. He said it will be ready in about a month and will be marketed from the naval web site. It should be about $30.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MC Watchtower "Insert Disk 2" Error.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI