Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/10/2000 1:03:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I have a question. In v.1 it seems to me as though when a crew abandons a vehicle, that the crew must be slain in order to receive credit for a kill. I'm not sure, but ...
I am sure as I tested this. If a crew bails out of a tank (because you destroyed it or damaged it) you do not get a kill for it. When the crew is killed, the kill is credited. You can not get two kill credits, one for the tank and one for the crew. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 31
- 6/10/2000 1:13:00 AM   
Fishu

Did I hear right, Finnish EXE file... wow, I am impressed

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 32
- 6/10/2000 1:28:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Belaja, you said you bet the Finnish translation was not done by someone from our group. You lose that bet. Mr Pentti Perttula, who has been a part of my Raider crew, and who is Finnish, did the translation. We call him "Ambush." If you wish, check with him. He is a great person. ambush@sci.fi A couple of other staff members have also contributed. I personally speak and write Spanish fluently. Frank Donati knows French very well. Massimo Rocca, one of our chief testers, is Italian. Massimo, "The Mad Italian," lives in Italy. Klaus Mueller Buschbaum, one who has helped with the artwork, is doing the German translation. He lives in Germany. And so it goes. We might fool you Our organization, just like our supporters, is world wide. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited 06-09-2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 33
- 6/10/2000 6:41:00 AM   
Antonescu

quote:

Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: And I'm not even Catholic... [/B]
Let's be more considerate of one another than to post this kind of crap. Thanks A. "Take it easy big Joe, these people have sensitive feelings ya'know!" ---Oddball

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 34
- 6/10/2000 6:58:00 AM   
victorhauser

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: Charles22: I'm not very sure but I think the only way to get a tank kill score is to blow one up. So if a crew vacates a tank, the only score you will get is in infantry casualties, IF you destroy the crew.
However, you can actually get 2 kills when you destroy an AFV... If you destroy the AFV (i.e., it blows up) the unit that caused the destruction gets a kill credit. And if one or more crew survive the destruction of their AFV, then they can be killed too (and even by a different firing unit if you choose) and the unit that causes the destruction of said crew gets a kill credit, too. Unfortunately, you do not get credit for shooting down aircraft (which has always bothered me). And sometimes indirect fire will destroy units that you don't know about because they were hidden. In this case, the artillery unit that fired the round which eliminated the hidden unit will usually get credit for the kill. I say usually because I'm aware of instances when hidden units destroyed by indirect fire were not credited to the destroying artillery. I think this happens when there was more than one hidden unit in the hex but I'm not sure.

VAH

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 35
- 6/10/2000 7:29:00 AM   
Charles22

victorhauser: Yes, I thought that was correct, that each tank is 'potentially' 2 kills.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 36
- 6/10/2000 8:14:00 AM   
Tombstone

For me what I liked about Sp3 was the size and scope of the battle. I really liked the sub-operational aspects to game. It took a long time to get from one place on the map to another, so if your plans weren't adequate to the task you'd be punished for it. At this scale, even making the map larger can't compare with the 4x size increase in the sp3 scale. Battle's could be won or lost because such and such tank company was sent via the southern road and couldn't take part in an important engagement. It did a really neat blending of operational and tactical gameplay. A bigger map and more units (not to mention raw improvement on the mechanics) would enhance this particular aspect of the game a lot I think. I don't know why I'm talking about this. It's just depressing me. Oh about the animation button... My problem with the animatiom button being absent is that even with all settings at their fastest it still takes a good amount of time for a stuart to fire the 37mm and all it's machine guns five times, especially if it's gonna take the whole platoon all it's firepower to make sure that damn infantry squad in the rough hex, while enrtenched wont do anything nasty to that highly experienced tank that was lucky not to die in the assault as one foolishly drives about the 'apparently' empty battlefield... Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 37
- 6/10/2000 11:33:00 AM   
victorhauser

My experience with SPWAW is that the pace of operations is a little slower than previous SP games. I see this as a good thing since I always felt units scampered around SP1 and SP2 battlefields a bit too easily. I also preferred SP3 over SP1 and SP2, but SPWAW is a much better game than SP3. (Especially the modern version where Apache helicopters ruined the play balance so badly... We used to play with enemy tank toughness set to 250% and still the Apaches would dominate. But I digress.) Yes, the mechanics resolve themselves more slowly in SPWAW. I'm not sure why. I have a 600MHz PIII machine and I can only imagine what it's like on a slower PC. I, too, wish the game would execute faster, but SPWAW is so much better than any other SP game that I put up with the slow execution without too much complaint. (Indeed, the only thing I really don't like is the elite designation for SS troops.) Compared to previous SP games and their awful rules loopholes and abuses, SPWAW is truly wonderful. It still has nit-picky bugs but none of them are game-breakers as was the case with the other SP games.

VAH

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 38
- 6/10/2000 11:34:00 AM   
Kev

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: This information just came from Michael Wood,
It's funny - at a time when usenet is full of hysterical screaming about the death of hardcore wargaming and hardcore sim gaming, we see a list of FREE improvements to a FREE game of the quality of SPWaW and a demo like steel beasts. If this is the death of hardcore wargaming, let it get more dead daily. BTW, what is the download figure for SPWaW up to now? (obviously you can't account for the amount downloaded and then copied for friends).

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 39
- 6/10/2000 12:23:00 PM   
Kharan

Oops, I was talking about the scoreboard at the end of a battle. Anyway, I checked it, and a tank kill gave me 50 points, while destroying a crew that left a non-destroyed tank (immobilized or pressing "9") gave me only one point per man. So if you don't completely destroy a tank, you won't get the points. This makes its possible for the unsportsman player to abuse the "9" key, which is one reason I'd like empty tanks to be targetable and destroyable.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 40
- 6/10/2000 12:33:00 PM   
Drake666

I think it would just be better if they gave the same amount of points for a abondoned unit as a destroyed units. Their are very few cases were a army wount around destroying abondened units. The German and soviets were to bessy makeing use of any abonded equipment that they could. I think it would take away from the game if you could destroy abonded equipment.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 41
- 6/10/2000 12:49:00 PM   
Kharan

Drake: This be true. Of course, they didn't actually always know if the tank was abandoned before it was burning, but just giving the kill points for abandoned (at end of battle) tanks negates the "I'm gonna get it now, better press 9 so opponent doesn't get points and I can even return later in the game because the tank can't be destroyed while I'm away" "tactic".

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 42
- 6/10/2000 1:42:00 PM   
Marek Tucan

I think that this upgrade will be a great thing. But the most important: I think I should offer some help and that I should attempt to translate SPWAW in czech. Just send me the lines you want to translate! Tuccy

Tuccy

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 43
- 6/10/2000 7:03:00 PM   
Wild Bill

That is a very generous offer Tuccy. Here is what you need to do if you can help us. Write David Heath, head of Matrix. He is putting together the language packages. Tell him of you willingness to help. davidh@thegamers.net And let me know how you do with this please! Thank you very much for your offer. A noble gesture indeed. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 44
- 6/10/2000 8:39:00 PM   
Alby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tombstone: [B]For me what I liked about Sp3 was the size and scope of the battle. I liked the hex range myself, seemed more close up and personal with the infrantry. Still having trouble getting used to infrantry firing at me from halfway across the map in spwaw and spww2. WAW is a great game tho, [This message has been edited by Alby (edited 06-10-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 45
- 6/10/2000 10:42:00 PM   
xman44

Also, not trying to complain, but is there any way we can have the AI learn the benefits of "smoke". I'm trying to teach my roommate how to play SPWAW (I'm a long time wargamer, he's just beginning) and I'm getting pretty upset at seeing the advancing British Army & the mighty Montgomery try the old "Charge of the Light Brigade" approach at my roommates highly experienced German Elite Force. At least in his latest battle the British put forth some type of flanking effort. I'm beginning to think that maybe my roommate was Patton or Rommel in a previous life. "And forward the proud British charged into the breach, but alas, they were summarily executed."

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 46
- 6/12/2000 8:46:00 PM   
Supervisor

quote:

Our organization, just like our supporters, is world wide. Wild Bill [/B]
You forgot me Bill, I speak fluent Arkansan...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 47
- 6/13/2000 12:51:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Johnson: You forgot me Bill, I speak fluent Arkansan...
Sorry, it's Arkansawyarin. Or at least it was in Fayetteville... I think Arkansan wuz that there Big City langwidge.

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 48
- 6/13/2000 5:08:00 AM   
Supervisor

quote:

Originally posted by Dean Robb: Sorry, it's Arkansawyarin. Or at least it was in Fayetteville... I think Arkansan wuz that there Big City langwidge.
Well, I live right outside Little Rock so Arkansan is correct. However, I used to live in Clinton so I USED to speak Arkansawyarin...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 49
- 6/13/2000 5:15:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Can someone please tell me what the hell these two are going on about, can't understand a word. I speak fluent stogie, thats talking with a mouth full of cigar. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 50
- 6/13/2000 9:09:00 PM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Johnson: Well, I live right outside Little Rock so Arkansan is correct. However, I used to live in Clinton so I USED to speak Arkansawyarin...
So, what is the definition of is in your language? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 51
- 6/14/2000 2:09:00 AM   
sami heimola

Finnish exe file? Great!!! BTW, is there names for Russo-Finnish war battleplaces(Kuuterselkä, Vuosalmi, Tali-Ihantala for example)? Thanks in advance anyway Sami Heimola

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 52
- 6/14/2000 3:50:00 AM   
stalker

in first it is a great job so, I think the IA artillerie routine must be change. All the time IA loss time to shoot with his artillerie when he see only a sniper or a motocycle far away from the main battle....It is stupid no ??????? During advance AI infantery moving around position stupidily....... The IA must have a defensive perimetre on his first position flag and a routine to pass infanterie to defensive stance when she reach its objectif. The IA reach move has disordered effect on the effectivness of his troop in first you kill tank then infanterie. So , Recon must have advance to be in front of troops infanterie move before tank and tank more far in the set up, move.. So recon discover player troops, infanterie discover too and react and then in third tank can acte with good support and effective effect against target. It will be interesting to have to groupe of armored vehicle both. In first one move other defend and the other turn vice-versa (the move defend and the defender move) sorry for my bad english byes

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 53
- 6/14/2000 5:34:00 AM   
BA Evans

Why not have a tank count as "Destroyed" for Victory Point purposes if you voluntarily abandon it? BA Evans

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 54
- 6/23/2000 7:24:00 PM   
jmo1

I have noticed that generated maps (by battle generator or scenario editor) are not realistic. For example generated maps have sometimes several near roads going to same direction or bridges in unsuitable places. Is this bug (or feature) fixed in SPWAW v2?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 55
- 6/23/2000 7:49:00 PM   
Spunkgibbon

Hopefully we'll be able to find out for ourselves soon enough. Fingers crossed for today...

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 56
- 6/23/2000 9:24:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

No, We use the same map generator that SP has always used. SP:ww2 has done a lot to improve automated map making. We are relying on The Raiders :-) We'll see about improving the map generator, but its fairly low on our list right now. Also abandoned units now count as destroyed for the player with fewer victory objectives. The side with more victory objetives is assumed to "control the field" and recover his... [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited 06-23-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI