Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/20/2004 3:26:07 PM   
vulkansanex

How do you all feel about getting the causalties of your artillery fire displayed during the "computers turn", even non lethal hits on armour during artillery barrages?

I find it highly useful telling me if my artillery is effective or not - I also feel it's a big cheat.

I guess this feature ties in with the code that prints out effects of fire in the game and cannot simply be switched off for artillery? If so - perhaps it would be possible to place some graphics over the text area during the computers turn so that none of the text was visible?

This would mean that you could not read the effects of direct fire during "the computers turn" either - but that would be Ok and in line with the fog of war.

Of course, I could simply look away during the computers turn - But I fear I'm to weak willed and to much of a sore looser to resist peeking.
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/20/2004 3:45:24 PM   
Svennemir

Panzer Leo changed the casualties messages such that they were blank lines in H2H. This was a bit better, of course, but still you could see approximately how effective artillery barrages were by looking at the blank lines.

In SPMBT there are IIRC no such messages, and all is almost well. But if you watch carefully, you can see that between certain impacts the game makes a small delay, meaning the computer takes time to distribute suppresion points and casualties :)

Evidently this problem is very difficult to get rid of...

< Message edited by Svennemir -- 8/20/2004 2:45:49 PM >

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/20/2004 4:32:38 PM   
Belisarius

In H2H, it will write blank lines for resolving suppression etc., too. So just b/c you see the text scroll away, you can't be sure it's a casualty report.

Works good in H2H. You'll have some notion if your artillery is close on target, but completely in the blue about the effects.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/20/2004 7:12:37 PM   
VikingNo2

Try this I find it very enjoyable don't watch the vcr repaly when playing PBEM then you have to analyze what happened to you and how it will be painful at first but after a while it will help you predict what your opponent will do. When playing the computer just don't watch when its his turn. The casualty reports do give away some things you should know but you can tyrn that around, example when playing a human place a smoke signature somewhere and put really cheap infantry in it whne your opponent hits is and causes casualties then they think they are hitting a aty park. They most likely will hit that same spot several more times

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/23/2004 1:48:41 PM   
vulkansanex

I do that frequently.

Having scout groups popping smoke in nice formations to trick the enemy.

One of those excellent SPWAW things that separates the vets from the newbies:)

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 5
RE: Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. - 8/23/2004 1:50:21 PM   
vulkansanex

quote:

In SPMBT there are IIRC no such messages, and all is almost well. But if you watch carefully, you can see that between certain impacts the game makes a small delay, meaning the computer takes time to distribute suppresion points and casualties :)

But with todays fast computers that delay may no longer be noticable perhaps??

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Artillery casualty giveaway anomaly. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI