Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invasion by sea, step by step.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Invasion by sea, step by step. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/21/2004 7:01:02 AM   
corona

It's is Feb. 8/42 and after a thrilling raid on Truk (CVL Shoho sunk, 70 Japanese aircraft destroyed, multiple transports sunk/damaged, torpedo hit on the BB Hiei at the cost of 20 planes destroyed, 1 torp hit on BB Colorado) the Lex, Enterprise and Saratoga are retiring to my major base at Canton Island.

While they were gone, transports arrived carrying the 25th USA Division to complement the 2nd USMC Division already on the island. Rather than have these troops sitting around, I'd like to start attacking north into the Gilberts (Tarawa has about 3000 Japanese troops and 20 guns on it, I'd like to start there).

If you could post any tips for bombardment, air support, invasion fleet composition, logistics, I would appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.

I looked at the tutorial and it said something about using LCI(G), and mobile command ships, neither of which I could find in my available ship inventory.

< Message edited by corona -- 8/21/2004 5:02:24 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/21/2004 7:12:43 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I looked at the tutorial and it said something about using LCI(G), and mobile command ships, neither of which I could find in my available ship inventory

Those ships come later in the war ... this early, you'll be using AP's.

(in reply to corona)
Post #: 2
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/21/2004 2:26:49 PM   
mogami

Hi, The most important questions are.

1. Is game versus AI or human?
2. Number and where abouts of IJN CV.

In PBEM if I was Japan and still had my 6 CV and Allies were present at Canton in strength this early I would be working on Operation to exploit this. (While I tend to beef up Kwajalean early if enemy had made 1 raid and escaped I would take steps to prevent a repeat. )

< Message edited by Mogami -- 8/21/2004 7:29:40 AM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/21/2004 5:40:04 PM   
Grotius

Well, I'm no expert, but I gather one important task is to neutralize the defense's CD units with port attacks and/or naval bombardment.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 4
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/21/2004 11:36:00 PM   
corona

This is against AI (my first game, want to get used to it before I try to tackle a PBEM game). The KB is currently hammering southern DEI and Java, air search patrols out of Rabaul, Palmyra, Noumea, Suva and Baker Island show no enemy carrier force activity, sub patrols near Kwajalien and other areas north of Tarawa report only transport contacts.

My feelings on the campaign are pretty mixed at this point. I've been able to keep the AI out of New Guinea completely, by running a CV up to Rabaul once and awhile. It's nearly halfway through Feburary and I STILL hold Manilla and Bataan, so the AI seems like it's going pretty easy on me (Historical AI settings) but I am getting crushed in the DEI, Singapore has fallen and the Japanese are spreading through Java like wildfire... and of course, my fighters at Kendari are routinely obliterated by Zero's.

I feel pretty good about SOPAC, Noumea has a division on it, Port Moresby is shaping up nicely, Canton Island is STOCKED (100,000+ fuel/supplies lots of support personnel, 200+ Fighters + Bombers) but I don't know where to draw the line north of OZ. I moved a lot of assets out of PI and Java to Darwin, but I have a feeling I'm about to get steamrolled (mainly because Jap air just blows my bases to smitereens).

My only experience with a game like this would be the old Axis and Allies board game and there is so much to try and learn. I feel like there are tons of intangibles that I'm just not getting, but that's what practice is for.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 5
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/22/2004 2:15:34 AM   
mogami

OK sounds like you are doing fine. As long as you provide fighter cover you should be able to pounce on Tarawa.
Be aware. BE VERY AWARE. That although the IJN CV are currently in SRA they are less then 2 weeks from reaching your operations. If they disappear and you don't find them for a week to 10 days.....................................

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to corona)
Post #: 6
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/22/2004 3:16:51 AM   
esteban

Yep, if I were you, I would start inching forward to Baker Island. Of course, this is against the AI, so a more aggressive strategy can be good. However, if you you chesse the AI off, it can send KB after you, and you are not in a good position to resist that right now.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 7
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/22/2004 10:58:53 AM   
corona

Surprise, surprise, just as I'm about to launch my pre-invasion bombardment fleet, with transports sitting loaded and ready to go, the KB dissapears east of Luzon.

It took a few extra turns but I sent the Enterprise and Lexington to Rabaul to harass the increasing enemy activity there and it worked beautifully - the KB showed up almost immediately to try and engage my carriers (they narrowly escaped south, then back up to Darwin). While this went on My bombardment and transport TF's hit Tarawa covered by the Saratoga and Yorktown. There was a scary moment when some Jap bombers managed to get an unmolested run on my CV's while they were LRCAP'ing the landing force (thought I was out of range, OOPS), but both escaped and Tarawa is mine.

A small victory maybe, but the Japanese air in the area doesn't seem too strong, the surrounding islands should fall quickly, and I now have a good look at the shipping going on in the area. If the KB shows up to crash the party, well I doubt the 24 F4F4's I have there will do much to deter them, but I guess the same could be said for just about any allied base in 42.

I'm still at a loss as to what to do North of OZ. I have a decent base at Kendari, but Tarakan and Balkipapan have fallen putting me squarely in LBA range from DEI. Java is just a skeleton of half empty bases and no major ground forces. I still don't know where to make my stand to keep the Japs out of Darwin (maybe having 2 CV's in the area can help, but the KB is probably at Truk so they won't be helpful for long).

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 8
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/23/2004 7:58:43 PM   
firefly177

Sorry, what's "KB"?

(in reply to corona)
Post #: 9
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/23/2004 8:05:18 PM   
Skyros

KB stands for the Kido Butai which is the carrier mobile strike force of the IJN.

Follow this link for more info.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/cvlist.htm

(in reply to firefly177)
Post #: 10
RE: Invasion by sea, step by step. - 8/24/2004 11:17:03 AM   
Sneer

No problem with KB - not until next patch or so
AI do not react to anything. you can do everything Japan LBA allows you

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Invasion by sea, step by step. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI