Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

newb questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> newb questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newb questions - 8/21/2004 9:34:41 PM   
Sawbonz

I'm looking for a new game and wanted to get a feel for WitP before I bought. I couldn't really find any reviews. From reading the forums I get the idea that it is a combo between building and battle. Maybe like a realistic Civ3 with tactical combat. I've played three of the mega campaigns in Steel Panthers WaW and liked them. How much of WitP is combat vs mangement and building? Is the combat mainly naval, land based, or equal for both? I never played Uncommon Valor- how high is the learning curve for WitP? I usually play solo- how good is the AI? What sort of graphics- counters like a board game or more like SPWaW? Is there a demo by chance?
Post #: 1
RE: newb questions - 8/21/2004 10:13:14 PM   
Kavik Kang

WITP is the latest in a long line of similar games going back to PacWar and Carrier War. It is very complex compared to most games made today, and the learning curve would be very steep if you have no experience with such games. But you did say you've played Steel Panthers, which is not very similar does also have it's roots in the old Avalon Hill board games... if you liked Steel Panthers then you might like WITP a lot. If you only play FPS and RTS games, then WITP is likely to be far too much for you to handle without a couple weeks of learning.

Bulding is secondary in a game like this, you are mostly managing your fleet and the pacific war. If you like navy warships, then you'll definately like WTP a lot. It's mostly about the planes and ships, while ground forces are crucial to success in the game, they take a back seat to the air and naval forces... which is one of the things I like so much about it. While Civilization is every bit as complex in it's own way, these types of games are far more detailed and require a much higher degree of "micro-management" (which is not a bad word:-).

Like movies and music, the fun and quality of a game is in the eye of the beholder. WITP is not a game that many FPS/RTS junkies would appreciate, but if you want a game where you truely take command of a nation's war at sea... there are no competitors to this series.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." -- Neil Peart

(in reply to Sawbonz)
Post #: 2
RE: newb questions - 8/21/2004 10:44:22 PM   
Rekm41

Here! Here! That's a good way to explain it.

(in reply to Sawbonz)
Post #: 3
RE: newb questions - 8/21/2004 11:03:33 PM   
kew

I remember the first pc game that kept me up all night. It was called "North Atlantic 86" Then came "War in Russia" & "Pacific War" then their was "Harpoon" Since then the PC games have been pretty dull.

Until now that is!!!!!!!

God Bless Gary Grisby!

PS, I do have a life

(in reply to Rekm41)
Post #: 4
RE: newb questions - 8/22/2004 4:06:22 AM   
SGT Swanson

Are you sure about that?? LOL

SGT Swanson
U.S. Army, Infantry
B Co 4/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (87-90)
A Co 5/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (90-93)
B Co 2/502d Inf. 101st Airborne Div. (93-95)

"Because freedom is NEVER free!!"

(in reply to kew)
Post #: 5
RE: newb questions - 8/22/2004 4:22:05 AM   
Sawbonz

Well I gathered it was a complex game. And I'm not into FPS or RTS. How does the combat system compare to something like Steel Panthers? What are the graphics like? How much of the game is management vs combat? How intuitive is the game?

< Message edited by Sawbonz -- 8/28/2004 1:00:00 PM >

(in reply to SGT Swanson)
Post #: 6
RE: newb questions - 8/28/2004 3:01:18 PM   
Sawbonz

Still looking for some feedback.

(in reply to Sawbonz)
Post #: 7
RE: newb questions - 8/28/2004 3:26:34 PM   
2ndACR

Go to the AAR section and look at some of the longer AAR's for screenshots. Luskan is pretty good about posting some. Also you can read Nikodemus' AAR I may be wrong on the title here Banana something. He has alot of screenshots. The game is operational. Not tactical like SP.

It has a steep learning curve, the manual may confuse you. Hard to say how hard it will be for you.

Other than that it is worth every penny and then some.

(in reply to Sawbonz)
Post #: 8
RE: newb questions - 8/28/2004 3:53:56 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

See if you can get a cheap copy of uncommon valor , It's basically WITP writ small. although it was way large enough to last me 2 odd years .

The graphics are virtually identical and the game is much less complex on a strategic scale but the tactical level is very similar, Its a great way to get the feel for WITP and I for one would be totally overwhelmed by this game but for UV.

I hope you do invest in this game .. it's value/hour of play has to be phenominal (sp.)

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: newb questions - 8/28/2004 6:18:21 PM   
Mr.Frag

Steep learning curve, but basics can be picked up fairly quickly.

Not sure what you mean by building ... absolutely nothing like Civ. This is a *hardcore* war game at the advanced grognard level. Because it is computer based instead of a board game, the ability to learn is greatly enhanced.

Figure out your time commitment and post how much time you have to put into this as thats really the deciding issue. This game will consume your life

(in reply to Sawbonz)
Post #: 10
RE: newb questions - 8/28/2004 10:06:43 PM   
dtravel

Vampiric computer game. Now that's a scary thought.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 11
RE: newb questions - 8/29/2004 9:51:24 AM   
Central Blue

Sawbonz....

it's nothing like steel panthers. There's no tactical control, no good reason to turn on animations or sound. It's very much about management and strategy. All the combat is really out of your hands once you point your units.

THe best way to get a feel would be to download the free version of pacwar which can be found here in the downloads section of this website. Play around with that and see if you want even more obsessive-detail on a daily level.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> newb questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI