Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do you burn out in SPWAW Campaigns?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Do you burn out in SPWAW Campaigns? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you burn out in SPWAW Campaigns? - 2/11/2002 11:10:00 PM   
A_B

I've noticed, with myself, that after 3 to 6 battles i burn out on built campaigns. They either get too easy, or my core gets mangled so bad i can't continue, or, i don't know, they just don't seem as fun. I don't think the last item is very objective. It is more Me than the battles themselves. I've gotten the impression that a lot of other people feel the same way. The Stalingrad Campaign thread was very active up to battle four or so, and then Died. Do other people finish campaigns, or stop after the first few battles, and if so, why? This would be a helpful discussion topic for people like myself, who are puttering along on their own campaign projects.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Post #: 1
- 2/11/2002 11:21:00 PM   
mogami

Hi, I guess it could be called burn out, I get tired of any game against the AI. Watching the same mistakes over and over (I for example can always invent a new mistake bit the AI just sticks to it's favorites) When you know exactly how the battle is going to go before the first turn it loses the ability to keep me interested.
Designed battles or Campaigns at least can hold your interest since the designer can make up for the AI's incompentance (usally by making things really tough) The major (IMO) problem facing designers is if they make thing too rough they lose the players that way (how many times will some one replay a battle never win and then quit)
So I think you should possibly mix in degrees of difficulty. (have a easy mission once in a while) I love playing some of the built in campaigns but in all of them if I hit a scenario that becomes impossible for me I usally stop.
I find my self more and more just starting long WW2 campaigns just to buy different core forces and look at things more then actully playing. I only want to play against another human anymore but combat net is always empty. [ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 2
- 2/11/2002 11:31:00 PM   
Bing

I'll second a lot of what Mo says. As I progressed towards the end of Heroes of the Motherland, I found myself imposing voluntary limitations upon myself. Getting too easy, too many repair points available for one thing. So I made sure my core got out there and took the enemy fire, reserving support and aux for critical situaitons. I had to totp using the Katyusha rocket launchers entirely - just three of them were bringing the enemy to a total halt in his advance. Last battle I opened with the Katys first turn bombardment - plus me 6 X 120mm mortars - and didn't use the rockets for the remainder of the battle. Has anyone tried the "exchange" type of campaign where a fellow Panther sets up the AI forces on a per-battle basis for you and you do the same for his or her ongoing campaign? I like campaigns a lot, the kind where I have input as to force composition, gives me a feeling of being involved on a command basis. But we all know the AI is capable of just so much, it really isn't that bad in W@W, I have seen much worse elsewhere as I'm sure many of us has. Needs help from time to time, that's all. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 3
- 2/12/2002 12:10:00 AM   
ubertechie

I have noticed with the sealion campaign that i deisgned that after the 1st 3 battles i havent had anymore feedback. So i guess what you are saying is possibly true. Personally i like to play things to the death no matter how frustrating the aI can be - the only other option is for more people to play - i would play the sealion campaign against people but then it gets confusing if you have a lot of pbem going on at the same time and the delay can be frustrating. Dont know hte way around this one short of re-writing the AI which i guess isnt going to happen Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 4
- 2/12/2002 12:55:00 AM   
A_B

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
Has anyone tried the "exchange" type of campaign where a fellow Panther sets up the AI forces on a per-battle basis for you and you do the same for his or her ongoing campaign? Bing
I'm doing this right now. The pluses are; 1. You can stick to a TO&e force, cause the battles are, to a degree, geared towards your current Core force. So,if you end up with a ton of heavy tanks, you're given battles that a HvyTnk Btn. commander would be given (which isn't a static defense or beach assault ). 2. Maps and the storyboard are much more realistic than in computer generated campaigns. 3. If you loose a battle, thats OK, because the next battle can reflect your current situation - so their isn't the pressure to perform against the computer. You're performing against youself, and what you would consider 'good tactics.' 4. Human Interaction. This is possibly the best part. On normal campaigns, it's just you and the computer. The wife could care less if you just completed a realy desperate defense. In fact, she hates it because you were supposed to fix the Gate. But now a fellow SP player is involved in your campaign (and you in his). The in-game Sit Reps are pretty fun to read, because you know he is about to run into your 'surprise.' The Negatives are; 1. Balance. Because the battles aren't play tested, the balancing is pretty wild. This problem is somewhat offset by the fact there isn't the pressure to go forward in the campaign following a certain path. 2. Sometimes the AI does what it is planned, and sometimes there is a major glich. I think keeping things simple, and the AI on defense, is important. If the AI is russian or french, it isn't as big a deal if it does really stupid things, it is historical. 3. Waiting. This is the real tough part, because you invariably end up waiting when you have an open evening, and get the next battle when you inlaws are over for dinner (not a difficult choice, mind you, but one which is paid for later). 3. Learning Curve. I think the key is to work with someone you are used to, which takes a little time. Hard to get a good fit right off the bat. I'm in one of these campaigns right now - an alternative history which will pit Patton vs. Rommel in the Iraqi desert. I'm on the US side. It is really good so far, and i'd suggest it for others who like the long WWII campaigns.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 5
- 2/12/2002 1:19:00 AM   
brianleeprice

The more I play online or pbem games the less inviting I find random battles/campaigns against the AI to be. Still useful for trying out some things, but to make things at all comparable to human vs human requires a person to setup and deploy, set objectives, waypoints, etc for the AI. Good, responsive, AI battles are very difficult to setup - to do a good job the person setting up the objectives/waypoints/stance etc for the AI has to have a good idea of how the AI will act given various setups. Basically, in order to get the most out of the AI, it requires that the person setting up the AI side of a long campaign be an experienced scenario designer who has a good handle on AI control issues. In theory the custom scenarios and campaigns should approach the Mega Campaigns in this regards, but with all the changes many of the custom scenarios and campaigns have yet to be reexamined and adjusted to take the changes into account. Also you will probably find that some designers create scenarios and campaigns that appeal to you personally more than others. Everyone does want something a bit different. While you may or may not like Command and Control on for human vs human battles, for battles vs the computer it is nearly a necessity in order to even the playing field a bit. The same goes for the other realism options. And if the AI ignores a setting or two and possibly 'cheats' on occasion (not that it does normally in most cases), so what? It needs all the help it can get! Setting things to Hard Battle, giving AI advantage, etc won't make the AI any smarter, but it will make it tougher. I think one of the most fun and interesting long WWII campaigns you can play, especially with someone to setup the AI side and attempt to get infantry and armor to cooperate a wee bit, is GE vs SO beginning 6/41. Especially in the early half of the war the AI does pretty good imitating SO doctrine, especially if it gets a wee bit of guideance. For human opponents, try stopping by the #spwaw irc channel on StarlinkOrg. Depending on what time zone you are in and your available times to play, you stand a pretty good chance of finding at least one or two people there. (Btw my irc nickname is Omnivore) Look forward to seeing you there: easy to use web gateway addy is in my sig. Hope this helps,
Brian

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 6
- 2/12/2002 3:10:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

quote:

Originally posted by ubertechie:
I have noticed with the sealion campaign that i deisgned that after the 1st 3 battles i havent had anymore feedback. So i guess what you are saying is possibly true. Cheers Ubertechie
I have held off playing the third installment because I want more "pratice" playing smaller scenarios before I take on the next challenge. After two "draws" I am hoping for a better result.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 7
- 2/12/2002 8:28:00 AM   
chief

UberTech see my earlier comments, had to take a break, more AARs to come --. --- --- -.. --. .- -- ., -.-. .... .. . ..-.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 8
- 2/13/2002 12:10:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by A_B:

I've gotten the impression that a lot of other people feel the same way. The Stalingrad Campaign thread was very active up to battle four or so, and then Died. Do other people finish campaigns, or stop after the first few battles, and if so, why? This would be a helpful discussion topic for people like myself, who are puttering along on their own campaign projects.

I try to finish campaigns, though there are a few that I didn't, but taht was because I'd been playing SP too much and needed to play a diffent game for a bit. And I never get so mauled that I can't, in two battles, get enough points to rebuild my core. V-man

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 9
- 2/14/2002 12:58:00 AM   
TheZel66

I played MCNA all the way through, and only got frustrated when i continued to get DV's, only to have to retreat back I admit I've lost my interest for MCLV, mainly because I've been addicted to MC-W.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 10
- 2/14/2002 1:27:00 AM   
hingram

I find the invasion scenarios are the most fun to play with the AI. The Allies get hammered.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 11
- 2/14/2002 2:38:00 AM   
ruxius

I do not have so much time to play all the campaigns.. As regards campaigns I play them just to give a look at something different..and I love them because of finding new maps different form the standard ones randomly generated But the AI is not so exciting I know..that's way I fought to have MEGACamp where you can fight against a human opponent... do you know about this ?
it seems the best way to solve the problem.. as for the old campaigns I found a new way to play them I call COOPERATIVE CAMPAIGN...it makes things so enjoyable I am still playing FROM UTAH TO RHINE with a friend of mine and I will start
BALKAN CRISIS and WATCHWORD FOR FREEDOM as soon
as I will end some school work.. After all I am wondering if designers did things keeping in mind that battle after battle the
player core force becomes more experienced...

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 12
- 2/14/2002 2:41:00 AM   
mogami

Greetings, I don't have to get DV's every battle to be happy. I don't even need to win every battle. If it is supposed to be a historical campaign the situation might require a DV to be almost impossible. (Soviet core force example battles in June 41 even if I meet all battle requirements i still will find that the core force has been retreated for next battle. And if my June 41 mission was an assault against German armoured troops I would not be too suprise to be hammered by the Luftwaffe and see my green troops head for the rear. The designer could use an impossible battle to set up the next. But if I was faced with more then 3 nightmares in a row I might get to be afraid to resume the game. (the designer could cut an early war Soviet a break by having him engage one of the Axis minor allies)
Designing a series of battles requires more thought then designing several battles. I mean in the series you have to consider the cumlative effect. If you wear down the players core in one battle you should at least rebuild it in a later battle. (units that suffer above a certain percentage are often removed from combat to rebuild, in a campaign the designer has to rebuild the player on the fly.)
Some people like tricks, myself I do not care for tricks. I prefer straight forward missions "Commander the Regt is to make an advance this afternoon. Hill #xxx is an enemy observation point overlooking the route of the advance, therefore you must capture and secure Hill #xxx not later then ^^^^. You will have blah blah and blah as support. Then the objective will be held by a reasonable mix of enemy troop types. Not the 1st Ski Mechanized Airborne Guard Super Heavy Monster Tank/Panzer Super­calli­fragilistic­expiali­docious Division. (a word like that deserves an eek) [ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 13
- 2/14/2002 4:11:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Burn out? Not Possible Oh I have to mention I also have Red Barricades, Kampf Gruppe Peiper 1 and 2, plus Pegasus Bridge all for ASL. So I guess its not possible for me to get "Burn out" with Steel Panthers heheh. Hey did I mention I also play Longest Day, now that will train you to be immune to "burn out" if anything will. Pushing 10k counters around a 5'x5' map will harden ya alright. I cant wait to be missing in action with Lost Victories heheh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 14
- 2/14/2002 5:58:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by A_B:
I've noticed, with myself, that after 3 to 6 battles i burn out on built campaigns. They either get too easy, or my core gets mangled so bad i can't continue, or, i don't know, they just don't seem as fun. I don't think the last item is very objective. It is more Me than the battles themselves. I've gotten the impression that a lot of other people feel the same way. The Stalingrad Campaign thread was very active up to battle four or so, and then Died. Do other people finish campaigns, or stop after the first few battles, and if so, why? This would be a helpful discussion topic for people like myself, who are puttering along on their own campaign projects.
Yes, it can get that way. I too have faltered around battle IV of the 'Stalingrad' campaign, primarily because of the difficulty factor coupled with low pointage making the next battle next to hopeless. Not completely the fault of the design as i squandered my reserve of repair "points" upgrading one platoon of tanks Mark III ausf M The extra armor sure came in handly but still did'nt save me from battle IV. That scenerio was nasty. almost too nasty given the parameters of the campaign which strongly recommended a balanced mix of infantry and tanks. that i did which, coupled with the modest point allowance, translated into two platoons of tanks and two platoons of SS infantry well scenerio IV pretty much takes out the infantry component. (without giving too much away, think ; open ground + alot of flak guns ouch. my core ended up looking like swiss cheese and you get very few repair points in between as it is. Its certainly a fine line. make the battles too easy or give too many repair points and it gets as pointless and boring as generated campaign, but on the same token ,make it too challenging or frustrating and you end up giving up. Battle IV again, is a classic example. that is one type of scenerio i dont want to have to play twice much less mult times, but other than that your only option is to either quit or cheat in order to get to the next new scenerio and see what the designer has in store for you. I agree with the others, human vs human is the way to get the best out of the game, too bad for some of us scheduling the time to do so can be problamatic. But thats the beauty of the campaigns too....their unique designs and set piece AI tends to provide the best and most varietal challenge so inevitably, i end up coming back for more punishment

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 15
- 2/14/2002 8:41:00 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Not so far. Mixing the regular game campaigns with the MCs keeps the game fresh for me so far. (Fingers crossed.) Visiting the forums helps to inspire me to play more as well. Eric Maietta

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 16
- 2/14/2002 10:31:00 PM   
wulfir

I try to finish the campaigns I have started. The Big problem is time - never seem to have enough. Anyway considering the time and effort that is invested in making a campaign I think it’s a crying shame if they are not played. I know it is not very fun to get butchered but I don’t think this should be a reason for giving up. Hang in there! A tough fight brings a satisfying victory.
Btw, if you are not too upset by ‘cheating’ there is always the possibility of boosting your refitting and support points using the editor.

Semper in Primis

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 17
- 2/14/2002 11:05:00 PM   
Jeff_Ewing

quote:

Originally posted by Nikademus:
Yes, it can get that way. I too have faltered around battle IV of the 'Stalingrad' campaign,
That was the coolest! I had to play that about 5 times to get a decent score against those "flak chicks." (Hint: you need a *lot* of smoke-capable arty) So, no, I don't get burned out on designed campaigns. You do sometimes have to figure out what the designer "wants" you to do. Another example from the Stalingrad campaign: I fight an advance and win handily; I get a huge # of repair points, which I bank , since I don't need them. Next scenario, I have 2 AUX Tigers attached. They're the only tanks that survive the scenario. Light goes on over my head: Ah, Melvin *wanted* me to buy a bunch of Tigers with those points! Needless to say, I played that one again.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 18
- 2/15/2002 2:21:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff_Ewing:
That was the coolest! I had to play that about 5 times to get a decent score against those "flak chicks." (Hint: you need a *lot* of smoke-capable arty) So, no, I don't get burned out on designed campaigns. You do sometimes have to figure out what the designer "wants" you to do. Another example from the Stalingrad campaign: I fight an advance and win handily; I get a huge # of repair points, which I bank , since I don't need them. Next scenario, I have 2 AUX Tigers attached. They're the only tanks that survive the scenario. Light goes on over my head: Ah, Melvin *wanted* me to buy a bunch of Tigers with those points! Needless to say, I played that one again.
heh, the trick would be to somehow purchase the artillery with said smoke. IIRC you are only give about 135 support points for that battle, not enough to buy even a section of 81mm morters. Fortunatly the designer does provide a moderate artillery component which did allow me to isloate the flak guns situated farther back. A tough scenerio with some truely evil inspired quirk (hint: watch out for insideiously placed AT guns) A good variation (I ran into a scenerio like this before back in SP-1 days) but not one i'd want to play 5 times! I dont have a week to spare In the end i just took the draw and moved on to play Battle V with a depleted force. Fortunately i was able to pull a DV out of that one. A great tense little scenerio that was featuring a classic armor heavy Soviet attack across an open plain, made more tense by a sudden well......try it and find out Lets just say if you keep your cool....(and dont overcommit) you can still pull the chestnuts out of the fire. The pre-built bug makes it an even bigger challenge as the few T-34's and KV-1E's benefit from heavily favorable zero angle armor results when forced to take fire on slight or moderate oblicities. Thing i liked most about this scenerio was it's realistic balance of AFV types. Some of the past controversey around the T-34 and KV when 7.0 hit was along the line of, 'if the T-34 was so great and so overmatched the Mark III and mid Mark IV, how did the Panzerwaffen do so well all the way through to 43? A good part of the reason was that the T-34 did'nt become the primary battle tank (in terms of sheer numbers and organization content) of the Soviet army until 43. Even with their herculoran efforts you cant just replace 20,000+ tank losses overnight, especially when having to move your primary factories. So it was'nt always or even primarily Mark III/IV vs T-34 and/or KV but more like a mixture of light tanks, left over T-26 and BT, some lend lease and then T-34's and KV's where they might be found. Continual losses due to botched operations like the Kharkov spring offensive did'nt help either. This forced the Soviets to fill out their ranks with whatever was available, meaning primarily light tanks as well as the hodge podge of lend lease tanks. A typical 1942 brigade might contain 1/3 T-34 and a few KV if they were lucky, the rest were light tanks in most cases or lend lease for some others. Battle V portrayed this nicely with a slew of light tanks and lend lease Stuarts, followed by a battalion of Lee's, filled out lastly by a few troublesome T-34's and even more troublesome KV-1E's SP players are just too used to generated battles where Soviet players (wisely) choose T-34s or KV's exclusively while disregarding the neglicable and often useless gaggle of light tanks. Similar to the complaint that that German players always pick Panthers and Tigers or at least long barreled Mark IV's for most battles. I can say with a little pride that i resisted this urge for this campaign in favor of going for a challenge as well as a more historical mix and chose one platoon of Mark III's and one of Mark IV specials. ok, so i upgraded the Mark III's over the space of the first two battles from J to M. I wanted a challenge, not to commit suicide!
Good fight and since i only lost one tank to a lucky hit from a T-34 i was able to rebuild my core back to muster. My only complaint......for some reason in the campaign when you are unable to repair a tank (but have part or the crew intact) that crew does'nt transfer to the next scenerio. Instead, a destroyed graphic of the tank appears.....sans crew, meaning that after the present battle when you are able to repair the tank, you get a completely new crew, losing the experience in the process. grrrrr

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 19
- 2/15/2002 5:46:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Guys,you're right:the point is the AI.Even in a designed camp you play alone on your pc,against a pre-designed intelligence.You know what is the real solution?the real SPWAW-not-alone experience?The Double Deuce Tournaments!!!!!Give it a look.....
Double deuce tournament
I've been playing it since this summer,and......well take a look at it and you'll see!!!!

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 20
- 9/18/2002 10:03:13 AM   
Irinami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Some people like tricks, myself I do not care for tricks. I prefer straight forward missions "Commander the Regt is to make an advance this afternoon. Hill #xxx is an enemy observation point overlooking the route of the advance, therefore you must capture and secure Hill #xxx not later then ^^^^. You will have blah blah and blah as support. Then the objective will be held by a reasonable mix of enemy troop types. Not the 1st Ski Mechanized Airborne Guard Super Heavy Monster Tank/Panzer Super­calli­fragilistic­expiali­docious Division. :eek: (a word like that deserves an eek)

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree; I always had a problem with "Victory Hexes" and turn limits. Dammit, the point of war is to make the other bastard die for his country, and I'll choose the effing time and place I make him do that!! If you want to limit my time, then schedule enemy reinforcements to arrive on XX turn... but I should either try to beat them or be smart enough to retreat if I take too long. Don't force me to play your tactics. >.< The only thing I see VH's as good for are, well, strategic necessities. A hill with a good overlook. A road. A bridge. A city, a factory. But some hill in the middle of nowhere with terrible spotting? Puh! Don't make me laugh. I'll take it in my good sweet-@$$ time.

I liked Conflict: The Arab Israeli Wars. Every hex was a 1-point VH; Golan Heights hexes were 5 pts., and cities were 100. You could bypass Damascus and win the war... you could retreat from the GH and the Suez to draw the Arabs out, then stiffen and blast their supply lines to smithereens. You didn't HAVE to take xx hex... it just may have been a good idea.

On the other hand, SP:WAW is a smaller scale, and I can blame stupid VH's on "The Brass." ;) I do see VH's and turn limits as a trick, though... tell me the objective in the mission notes, note it on the map... send in enemy reinforcements (or my own and--if I wait that long--consider me to have lost the battle because another allied commander won it) after a certain time...

But doggonnit, leave me be to take the objective in my own special, painful way! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 21
Campaign Burnout - 9/18/2002 7:55:45 PM   
Orzel Bialy

is very real. :( (of course that doesn't mean the game itself isn't a winner :) )

I've started generated campaigns and by the fourth or fifth battle they become, as others here have stated, somewhat stale. They tend to travel the same path after a couple battles and therefore lose some of their flare.

The best solution I have found was already mentioned...and it's one simple way for designers to keep battles interesting: limit the amount of turns for the given battles.

Less turns mean quicker action and less time for the battle to go into that predictable cycle. You can't sit back and pound someone to death or wait for them to bash themselves against your defenses if you only have a dozen turns to take the VH's. This forces you to push forward into the AI forces...rather than sit back and take full advantage of it's known weaknesses.

Resetting the AI values is another way to "toughen" the AI forces, but time limits are a much easier method in my opinion...and they keep a campaign fresh and flowing, since you don't have 30 monster battles of 25-30 turns each to burn the player out with.

Anyway...that's my 2 cents worth

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 22
- 9/18/2002 8:08:26 PM   
Jim1954

I noticed this problem first when I went from SP to SP2, and even more with SPWAW or SPWW2. It takes soo loong to complete battles now with all the chrome that's been added (mostly at gamer's requests for more) that it seems like that beats me down. I don't have as much time as I would like to pursue this hobby and I do get discouraged.

What I have tried to do with the campaign problem is organize all of the pre-made scenarios in chronological order and play them that way. At least you experience different designers along the way and the battlefields don't tend to be so vanilla. If the designers have been true to historical facts, at least you get to experience what the evolution of equipment was like and the tactics needed to overcome them. I try to avoid the "what if" types.

I personally like battles with smaller #'s of units and less turns. I just recently started another long campaign as the Germans with a core force comparable in size and make up to that in MCLV and it seems a bit more manageable.

Just an opinion.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 23
- 9/19/2002 4:57:32 AM   
BryanMelvin

One solution - try the Mini Campaigns. These are 3 to 5 battles long with short amount of game turns.

The Core force can be limited in the short campaigns to the AO and one or two support units and the repair points adjusted to fit the scale of the game.

Mini-campaigns can be full of nasty little surprise :D

Another thing about normal, large size, and Mega campaigns is to play these over a period of time - say a year and this way you'll be able to complete these.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 24
- 9/19/2002 6:07:18 AM   
Kraut

If you do a randomly generated campaign you can make it more difficult by giving the AI twice or more battlepoints.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 25
Stalingrad - 9/24/2002 1:08:44 PM   
Grenadier

Once you get past the flak guns the real fun begins. I have finally gotten through the city to the Volga banks. My best purchase was 2 nebelwerfers and 2 Wurfrahmen 40's. They have racked up the highest numbers of kills. Over 50 for each one. The Red October and The Barricades battles are the most challenging. Now I am at the moment of decision. Can I get to Kalackh and get out side the encirclement or will I be trapped? I routed the Russians attacking the Rumanians but now I have to race to Kalach. This is the 12th battle

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 26
- 9/26/2002 7:11:03 PM   
darroch

Shameless plug follows:

Ever wonder what Kalach was like as the Russians?

Russian Steel 1.4 lets you find out.

Campaign burnout:

Definitely happens - too many units and excessive length are factors....

We started RS with 350+ units and 30+ turns - I am now designing battles with 150 units (not counting player's core) and 20 turns or less if possible....

No plan to go back and rework the original battles to be leaner but future battles Feb 1943 onwards will be tighter and leaner...I will offer a "save" game file that will allow you to time travel to 1943 and do Russian Steel Lite if so desired...

But I'd encourage any burnouts to try RS and see what a user-generated game offers.

Cheers,

Brad
:)

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Do you burn out in SPWAW Campaigns? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI