Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Awesome picture of PH attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Awesome picture of PH attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 4:45:54 AM   
fbastos

Rally cool picture - I wonder how I never saw it before:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h50000/h50931.jpg

Text says:

Photo #: NH 50931

Pearl Harbor Attack, 7 December 1941

Torpedo planes attack "Battleship Row" at about 0800 on 7 December, seen from a Japanese aircraft. Ships are, from lower left to right: Nevada (BB-36) with flag raised at stern; Arizona (BB-39) with Vestal (AR-4) outboard; Tennessee (BB-43) with West Virginia (BB-48) outboard; Maryland (BB-46) with Oklahoma (BB-37) outboard; Neosho (AO-23) and California (BB-44).
West Virginia, Oklahoma and California have been torpedoed, as marked by ripples and spreading oil, and the first two are listing to port. Torpedo drop splashes and running tracks are visible at left and center.
White smoke in the distance is from Hickam Field. Grey smoke in the center middle distance is from the torpedoed USS Helena (CL-50), at the Navy Yard's 1010 dock.
Japanese writing in lower right states that the image was reproduced by authorization of the Navy Ministry.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph
Post #: 1
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 5:24:15 AM   
dtravel

I saw this picture about a year ago (I think). There is a torpedo wake that apparently can't be accounted for as coming from any of the torpedo bombers, so it is considered evidence that one of the mini-subs did make it into the harbor.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 2
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 5:40:19 AM   
Gudgeon

Didn't the F14 take a picture alot like this in that movie where the nimitz time warped back to PH?

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 3
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 5:57:35 AM   
Caltone

That is a great photo. The site below has that one and a few others, plus lots of other great stuff. Just follow the links from the main page to your area of interest The photo fbastos posted is under Japan>>>Pearl Harbor Attack>>>Pictures for example.

WWII Pics and Sounds

Here's another of their pictures from Pearl of the Shaw's magazine going up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gudgeon)
Post #: 4
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 6:08:56 AM   
Caltone

And just to be fair and balanced Here's another interesting one of the landings at Iwo from the same site I believe. Lots to see here as in the Pearl Photo fbastos posted. As a retired Marine, this one fills me with pride. Just imagine what's ahead for most of those guys.

Check out the smoke around the beach, Mt Surabachi, and the fire coming from the landing craft.

Sorry to hijack the thread fbastos, but I love WWII pics I have tons of them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 5
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 6:45:49 AM   
MadmanRick

Both of those Pearl photos have been around for a while. I remember seeing them in a book, perhaps "At Dawn We Slept..." or "Day Of Infamy"? They are however, great pics, particularly the Shaw photo.

Rick

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 6
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 7:19:15 AM   
T Rav

Tactics question:

It is interesting to see the fire-support ships just behind the second wave there. DDs and DDEs (I assume) lined up at a 90 degree angle from the beach. When I first saw this picture a few years ago, I had always assumed that those ships would be parallel not perpendicular.
However, those ships are very close in and very early in the assault. The choice may well have been to give the defenders a small profile to shoot at and maybe sacrifice the "full broadside" on a single target that a parallel ship would provide.

Anyone out there now the real skinny on whether that was doctrine or just happened to be that way for this particular snapshot in time?

Ciao,
T-Rav

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 7
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 7:23:58 AM   
madflava13

Those ships are marking the line of departure, I believe... They aren't fire support - just navigational markers, if I am correct...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 8
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 7:27:06 AM   
Tankerace

And if you see a yellow stain, and a converted DD retiring at high speed, we all know who that is

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 9
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 5:56:12 PM   
Wildhack

He can make men quail if he should spot a shirt tail.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 10
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 6:19:35 PM   
UncleBuck

Line of Departure and I beleive AA suport. they woudl do fire support but probably not untill the last wave went by, that concussion would swamp those landing craft .

As for the Angle they have guns in turrets so the forward guns would only cover the beach directly ahead but other guns could be turned to bear on onter portions of beach. Notie that none of them are burning as WitP woudl have them doing.

UB

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 11
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 7:09:03 PM   
Speedysteve

Nice pic Caltone

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 12
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/26/2004 11:49:03 PM   
JamesM

The film was called "Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen.

cheers

jim

(in reply to Gudgeon)
Post #: 13
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/27/2004 2:45:44 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

I saw this picture about a year ago (I think). There is a torpedo wake that apparently can't be accounted for as coming from any of the torpedo bombers, so it is considered evidence that one of the mini-subs did make it into the harbor.

yep cool stuff!!!

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:eQJRw4r-xp4J:www.usni.org/navalhistory/Articles99/Nhrodgaard.htm+pearl+torpedo+wake+midget&hl=en

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 14
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/27/2004 2:51:55 AM   
Tankerace

I have seen that picture several times, and each time I always wondered "Where was the plane that dropped that torpedo?" I guess now we know it wasn't a plane after all.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 15
RE: Awesome picture of PH attack - 8/27/2004 3:11:17 AM   
Tiornu

It is an utter disgrace that the Naval Institute let itself get involved in this ridiculous midget sub theory. It's not bad enough that they let it slip into Naval History, but they waited a year and reprinted it in Proceedings, which is supposed to be a professional journal. I couldn't believe it!
I can't imagine there was any peer review on this nonsense, as anyone looking closely at the topic will realize that the midget sub torpedoes were already accounted for. The greatest irony is that the photo that the writers manufactured into this ridiculous story was a blurred copy of a clear original located in Japan. The original shows that the article misidentifies features fundamental to the theory. (Is it a midget sub...or a guy standing in his boat?)

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Awesome picture of PH attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI