Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 2:58:42 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

Well for the purposes of this discussion Dietrich's statement is hearsay since nobody seems to know what it actually was.

LOL

That's a good one

I like, I like. . .

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 121
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:02:39 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom
Oh, brother

The exceptions to the hearsay rule apply in cases OTHER than DIRECT PERSONAL TESTIMONY.

Except that the question is what Dietrich's testimony actually was. That question appears to be beyond you.

quote:

Why do you continue to dig a hole that goes nowhere?

In your arrogance and rudeness you are ignoring the question which has lingered now for several posts. Where is Dietrich's testimony as that's the issue here.

What exactly did Dietrich say, is that too complicated for you to follow?

No, you could not distinquish between direct testimony and hearsay.

Dietrich's initial sworn testimony was NOT hearsay.

You are changing your line of debate, dropping what you think hearsay meant as it applied to Dietrich, and now you are echoing the other voices here, claiming that you only want to see Dietrich's statements.

You are calling me arrogant because I know the difference? LOL

So, you have travelled a winding road in your posts. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 8/28/2004 1:04:01 AM >

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 122
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:05:56 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Now you have my attention.

quote:

I have looked at Reynolds book.

If this is what you are using as a reference, then no wonder, you are making such statements.

You make a habit of these sort of statements, I think it's a debating tactic designed to make people think something is clearly wrong with something, but put in such a way you don't have to prove it.

Firstly, which of Mr Reynold's books are you referring to? If you have read it, you presumably can tell me the title. (If you can't, a quick scan of Amazon should give you a title to give me).

Secondly, what did you think was wrong with it? I'm guessing you noticed factual errors, could you name them? I'd happily accept just one example off the top of your head at this stage.

Thirdly, what did the reviews at Amazon tell you about this book? I know you've used Amazon reviews for Farago and D'Este et al. What do they say about Reynolds?

Ironduke

There is something wrong, believe me. . .

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 123
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:11:02 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

What I wrote above means is, that you simply have nothing concrete to say, and you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

If it continues I will simply ignore your posts as I have done in the past.

But I do have something concrete to say, I was asking for your critique of D'Este. You have posted many reviews revealing this to be a well respected work in the past, and if you now think it flawed, (and you keep saying it is) do you not owe it to this forum to explain why, after your previous comments recommended it. Some of the Forum readers may be planning to read this after the recent Patton threads and should be forewarned of any innaccuracies, errors of interpretation etc.

IronDuke

You see Ironduke, that's why you should read more than just ONE book about Patton.

Believe me, my estimation about D'Este's book has fallen several notches.

Post #: 124
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:15:48 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

I think we can have a perfectly sane discussion about Dietrich if we know more or less exactly what he did or didn't say. At the moment all we have is conjecture (better than 'hearsay' I feel) as to a sworn statement (contents unclear) that appears to have been later withdrawn as it was apparently made whilst under duress.

Again, you guys are confusing the issues here.

Whether we see Dietrich's statement or not is immaterial to his initial sworn statement. It was NOT hearsay.

I will say that again.

Dietrich's initial sworn statement was NOT HEARSAY.

The fact that Dietrich withdrew some of his statments is IMMATERIAL to it NOT being hearsay.

Does everyone understand that now?

Many murderers withdraw their initial confessions once they've had time to think things over.

This is a standard technique among murderers.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 125
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:17:58 AM   
Kevinugly

Is it also standard practice for police forces to beat confessions out of suspects? Are these then held as evidence in court to achieve convictions?

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 126
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:18:33 AM   
dinsdale

Are you deliberately being obtuse? I suppose it's easier than discussing the issue.

quote:

You are changing your line of debate, dropping what you think hearsay meant as it applied to Dietrich, and now you are echoing the other voices here, claiming that you only want to see Dietrich's statements.

No possibly not, however when you claimed that stated to be following "hitlers orders" then that is prima facie hearsay as there's no mention of the fact that he claimed to be directly ordered by Hitler. This has been the line I have attempted to follow for this entire waste of time while you continue to butcher terms of which you have little comprehension.

There are exceptions to the rule which may have allowed it into court, that does not mean that it's not hearsay, but hearsay with exception. I predicted about 3 posts before that this would be too subtle for you, and that is indeed the case.

Now, if you have anything other than he claimed to be working under Hitler's orders I will of course accept that it was testimony, but you didn't make the claim earlier in the thread, and now make the claim without any evidence for it.

If you have anything new, other than parrot-style "it's not hearsay, you're all stupid" posts then that would be great, but I fear that you'll simply ignore and move on to something irrelevant and use that as "proof" that this testimony was not hearsay.

< Message edited by dinsdale -- 8/28/2004 1:19:24 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 127
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:23:47 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Von Rom
Unfortunately, at the moment I think with some of the questionable statements being made, that it will be difficult to have a sane discussion about Dietrich.

I mean, people can't even distinquish between direct testimony and hearsay.

But it isn't direct testimony, because he rescinded it. It it was direct testimony, he would have testified at his trial to it's veracity. Instead, at his trial, he said "Sorry, they got all that out of me under duress, and I made it up". How is this direct testimony?

IronDuke

ID:

You seem to be unable to grasp a certain fact:

Dietrich's initial sworn statement was DIRECT TESTIMONY. It was NOT hearsay. This will NEVER change.

If he retracks a part of it, that is his privilege. But it is STILL direct testimony that he is retracking.

It's up to the court to decide whether he is lying, telling the truth, or simply changing his story to save his neck.

But it's still Direct testimony.

I can't believe I have made a dozen posts trying to clarify this issue.

And you guys expect to have a reasonable discussion about Dietrich's trial, and you can't even grasp what direct testimony and hearsay mean?

Anyway, I've had enough of this nonsense.

I have some interesting books to read.

See ya later, alligator. . .

I'll leave you all to ruminate over the issue of hearsay - LOL

Post #: 128
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:27:12 AM   
Kevinugly

I think you've entirely missed the point Von Rom. I also think that you haven't actually read any books about the Dietrich trial and don't know what his testimony was if it was ever made (which makes it hearsay incidentally). So you are using the 'hearsay' issue as a smokescreen to cover your lack of knowledge. If you can return with a full transcript of the document in question I will, of course, be happy to retract

< Message edited by Kevinugly -- 8/28/2004 1:28:20 AM >

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 129
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:28:55 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Are you deliberately being obtuse? I suppose it's easier than discussing the issue.

quote:

No possibly not, however when you claimed that stated to be following "hitlers orders" then that is prima facie hearsay as there's no mention of the fact that he claimed to be directly ordered by Hitler. This has been the line I have attempted to follow for this entire waste of time while you continue to butcher terms of which you have little comprehension.

There are exceptions to the rule which may have allowed it into court, that does not mean that it's not hearsay, but hearsay with exception. I predicted about 3 posts before that this would be too subtle for you, and that is indeed the case.

Now, if you have anything other than he claimed to be working under Hitler's orders I will of course accept that it was testimony, but you didn't make the claim earlier in the thread, and now make the claim without any evidence for it.

If you have anything new, other than parrot-style "it's not hearsay, you're all stupid" posts then that would be great, but I fear that you'll simply ignore and move on to something irrelevant and use that as "proof" that this testimony was not hearsay.

Dinsdale:

I don't know how many times I can say this:

Dietrich swore UNDER OATH that he was present with Hitler, and heard with his OWN ears Hitler telling him DIRECTLY about the "wave of terror" order.

This is DIRECT TESTIMONY. It is allowed in court.

This is the last time that I will respond to one your posts on this issue.

You simply cannot grasp what hearsay means.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 130
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:33:09 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

I think you've entirely missed the point Von Rom. I also think that you haven't actually read any books about the Dietrich trial and don't know what his testimony was if it was ever made (which makes it hearsay incidentally). So you are using the 'hearsay' issue as a smokescreen to cover your lack of knowledge. If you can return with a full transcript of the document in question I will, of course, be happy to retract

You simply fail to grasp the issue.

Whether we, here on this forum, ever see Dietrich's written testimony, is IMMATERIAL to it being hearsay.

His testimony was direct testimony in court.

We, ourselves, just haven't seen it. But that does not make it hearsay. It just means we haven't seen it.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 131
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:35:32 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

What's absolutely hillarious is that the site you quoted but was apparently ignored by us all claims:

Hearsay testimony was allowed and affidavits could be submitted by witnesses who did not appear in the courtroom and thus could not be cross examined by the defe

Now it's not specific to Dietrich, but I find it amusing nonetheless. But who knows, perhaps they have no idea of what hearsay is either

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 132
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:38:38 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

Dinsdale:

I don't know how many times I can say this:

Dietrich swore UNDER OATH that he was present with Hitler, and heard with his OWN ears Hitler telling him DIRECTLY about the "wave of terror" order.

This is DIRECT TESTIMONY. It is allowed in court.

This is the last time that I will respond to one your posts on this issue.

You simply cannot grasp what hearsay means.

Your trolling continues. Please cite evidence that this is indeed Dietrich's sworn testimony and the issue will not be in doubt. If I believed that this was your line originally I would not have entered the discussion. However, for the fifth or sixth time, I asked you if that was the case in my first or second post, but rather than answer you simply claimed I knew nothing.

Now if this is really the case, and really what you've said all along then why is it so difficult to produce the evidence of Dietrich's statement?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 133
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 3:38:42 AM   
Kevinugly

There doesn't appear to be any evidence that he made a statement or even what was in it, apart from the brief reference in Cole. Therefore, for the sake of this discussion it's hearsay - 'of the nature of or based on reports given by others' (Chambers Dictionary) until we have something more 'concrete'

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 134
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 4:59:13 AM   
Von Rom

Well you boys go right ahead and mumble amongst yourselves; come up with your own ideas about what consititutes Hearsay; and make farcical statements about what should or should be seen by you in this forum at this instant.

I guess if you can't see it, it doesn't exist.

kinda like a game of "Peek-A-Boo" I used to play with my Godson when he was a baby. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 8/28/2004 3:02:13 AM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 135
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:02:25 AM   
Kevinugly

quote:

Well you boys go right ahead and mumble amongst yourselves; come up with your own ideas about what consititutes Hearsay; and make farcical statements about what should or should be seen by you in this forum at this instant.

kinda like a game of "Pick-a-boo" I used to play with my Godson when he was a baby. . .

I've seen some bizarre posts in my time but this is truly weird. I use a dictionary definition of hearsay and this is the reply I get. Gheeesh

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 136
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:08:40 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

kinda like a game of "Pick-a-boo" I used to play with my Godson when he was a baby. . .

I've seen some bizarre posts in my time but this is truly weird. I use a dictionary definition of hearsay and this is the reply I get. Gheeesh

Sorry Kevin:

That post was not directed at you.

This thread has come to a screeching halt through a blather of meaningless posts.

I thought we could have had a meaningful discussion.

But I doubt that will happen.

I also suspect that this thread will be closed down very soon, since certain arguments and conclusions are not to certain peoples' liking.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 137
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:08:46 AM   
Kevinugly

"In the books I have read on Dietrich's trial NEVER has the issue of his testimony being hearsay EVER been raised in over 50 years by ANY lawyers. Why? Because they know better."

Since you've read so many books, you must know what was in his testimony...... or were you trolling when you wrote this (I'm being polite btw)

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 138
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:12:14 AM   
Kevinugly

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry Kevin:

This thread has come to a screeching halt through a blather of meaningless posts.

I also suspect that this thread will be closed down very soon, since certain arguments and conclusions are not to certain peoples' liking.

If certain parties had not become obsessed with semantics then maybe that would be possible. However, without any extra information coming to light regarding the Dietrich testimony then I suspect you're right.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 139
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:12:20 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

"In the books I have read on Dietrich's trial NEVER has the issue of his testimony being hearsay EVER been raised in over 50 years by ANY lawyers. Why? Because they know better."

Since you've read so many books, you must know what was in his testimony...... or were you trolling when you wrote this (I'm being polite btw)

Like I said, because of the actions of others, there will be NO meaningful discussion about Dietrich.

The last two pages of this thread has proven that statement.

Anyway, I'm off to have supper. . .

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 140
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:13:04 AM   
Kevinugly

Have a good meal

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 141
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:16:41 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry Kevin:

If certain parties had not become obsessed with semantics then maybe that would be possible. However, without any extra information coming to light regarding the Dietrich testimony then I suspect you're right.

But semantics IS important.

Otherwise, people would be arguing about the wrong thing as Dinsdale had been for several posts.

Hearsay and direct testimony are different terms, and it's important for people to understand the difference between the two.

Otherwise you will get all kinds of crazy stuff being said about Dietrich's trial that has no basis in fact.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 8/28/2004 3:17:41 AM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 142
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:18:11 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Have a good meal

Thanks

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 143
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:46:46 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

Yes, simply because you were challenged and unable to do anything but bandy insults around. Funny, I seem to recall a similar occurence in that 20 page thread a little while ago, of course it was others who derailed that thread too

Victim complex?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 144
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 8:36:55 AM   
Kevinugly

Well, one does what one can but I can find no evidence of Dietrichs 'testimony' regarding Hitler's 'Terror' order. It's absence leads me to the conclusion that if it existed it was a fabrication produced in the 'mock trials' that occured at Dachau prior to the real trials of Dietrich, Peiper and the other SS men accused over the Malmedy/Baugnez massacre. I do wonder what books Von Rom has read on the trial of Dietrich (since he used the plural I presume there's more than one) since he doesn't produce quotes. I suppose he may be partially right about Dietrich's supposed testimony - it's not 'hearsay' evidence, it's no evidence whatsoever! It makes the following snip from a Von Rom post on page 1 of this thread highly suspect.

quote:

In the Battle of the Bulge there were planned atrocities.

The worst one was the murder of eighty-six POWs of the 7th Armored Div. on Dec. 17th near Malmedy. Hitler had ordered "a wave of terror and fright and that no human inhibitions should be shown."

Elements of Lt. Col. Jocahim Peiper's SS command had committed the "Malmedy Massacre." In the first four days of the battle, Peiper's men murdered approximately 350 American POWs and 100 unarmed Belgian civilians. Word of this activity spread surprisingly fast among American troops.

The Following Information is from the US Army Official History of the Battle of the Bulge:

It was between noon and one o'clock of 17 December, on the road between Modersheid and Ligneuville, that the German advance guard ran into an American truck convoy moving south from Malmedy. This was ill-fated Battery B of the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion. The convoy was shot up and the advance guard rolled on, leaving the troops to the rear to deal with the Americans who had taken to the woods and ditches. About two hours after, or so the dazed survivors later recalled, the Americans who had been rounded up were marched into a field where, at a signal, they were shot down by machine gun and pistol fire. A few escaped by feigning death, but the wounded who moved or screamed were sought out and shot through the head. At least eighty-six Americans were massacred here. This was not the first killing of unarmed prisoners chargeable to Kampfgruppe Peiper on 17 December. Irrefutable evidence shows that nineteen unarmed Americans were shot down at Honsfeld and fifty at Bullingen. [3]

The Malmedy massacre would have repercussions reaching far wider than one might expect of a single battlefield atrocity in a long and bitter war. This "incident" undoubtedly stiffened the will of the American combatants (although a quantitative assessment of this fact is impossible); it would be featured in the war crimes trials as an outstanding example of Nazi contempt for the accepted rules of war; and it would serve a United States Senator as a stepping-stone toward a meteoric career. But the Malmedy massacre and the other murders of 17 December did not complete the list chargeable to Peiper and the troops of the 1st SS Panzer Division. By 20 December Peiper's command had murdered approximately 350 American prisoners of war and at least 100 unarmed Belgian civilians, this total derived from killings at twelve different locations along Peiper's line of march.

So far as can be determined the Peiper killings represent the only organized and directed murder of prisoners of war by either side during the Ardennes battle. [4] The commander of the Sixth SS Panzer Army [Sepp Dietrich] took oath in the trials of 1946 that, acting on Hitler's orders, he issued a directive stating that the German troops should be preceded "by a wave of terror and fright and that no human inhibitions should be shown."

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 145
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 1:52:33 PM   
Error in 0

Hersay or not, since Dietrich retracted the statement during trial, one cannot assume it as fact. While it may be plausible that Hitler would issue such a crazy order, it is more plausible that these written, sworn testimonoes was produced under stress. I think you are right vonRom that semantics and details are important, and should be discussed. That is why I think IronDuke does right in challenging your statement of Dietrich surrendering to Patton (which you said was just unnessessary hassel :))
VonRom, I believe you said Patton became a 4 star general at the time (prior) to Dietrich surrender. In your avatar (I assume its Pattons helmet and guns), I see only 3. I assume this picture was taken after the war. What happened?

JT

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 146
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:29:42 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

What I wrote above means is, that you simply have nothing concrete to say, and you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

If it continues I will simply ignore your posts as I have done in the past.

But I do have something concrete to say, I was asking for your critique of D'Este. You have posted many reviews revealing this to be a well respected work in the past, and if you now think it flawed, (and you keep saying it is) do you not owe it to this forum to explain why, after your previous comments recommended it. Some of the Forum readers may be planning to read this after the recent Patton threads and should be forewarned of any innaccuracies, errors of interpretation etc.

IronDuke

You see Ironduke, that's why you should read more than just ONE book about Patton.

Believe me, my estimation about D'Este's book has fallen several notches.

Von Rom,
It is one thing to say this, but another to prove it. You can continue to slander Professor D'este's work, (in order to push the claims of a journalist), but without evidence or your critique of his book, the fact it has fallen several notches in your estimation actually convinces me of it's merit.

Otherwise, all you're giving us is heresay. Claims without evidence is not history, either.

IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 147
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:41:12 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Yes, simply because you were challenged and unable to do anything but bandy insults around. Funny, I seem to recall a similar occurence in that 20 page thread a little while ago, of course it was others who derailed that thread too

Victim complex?

Nope.

The last two pages have clearly indicated to me how pointless it is to discuss the issue with you.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 148
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:41:18 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Now you have my attention.

quote:

I have looked at Reynolds book.

If this is what you are using as a reference, then no wonder, you are making such statements.

You make a habit of these sort of statements, I think it's a debating tactic designed to make people think something is clearly wrong with something, but put in such a way you don't have to prove it.

Firstly, which of Mr Reynold's books are you referring to? If you have read it, you presumably can tell me the title. (If you can't, a quick scan of Amazon should give you a title to give me).

Secondly, what did you think was wrong with it? I'm guessing you noticed factual errors, could you name them? I'd happily accept just one example off the top of your head at this stage.

Thirdly, what did the reviews at Amazon tell you about this book? I know you've used Amazon reviews for Farago and D'Este et al. What do they say about Reynolds?

Ironduke

There is something wrong, believe me. . .

With respect, I don't believe you for a second. You said you had had a look at his book, not read, not studied, just looked. Did the dust jacket or cover put you off? This hardly seems a reason for me to distrust this man. Usually when someone says something like this, they give reasons. When I tell you I dislike a website you have quoted, I tell you why (even though pointing out numerous factual errors attracts the charge of nitpicking ala the Rinamann thing a page or two back).

With respect, I think this statement is a debating tactic. You are attempting to discredit an opponent's argument by discrediting their evidence. Unable to discredit it (because you haven't read it), you instead make unsubstantiated statements without producing a shred of evidence or even a reason.

quote:

As a debating tactic, such tactics help you because people might get the impression you actually have discovered something wrong with it, and it is discredited as a result. It also helps you because you get to discredit it without offering proof.

Now I'm sure I'll get a response like "If you don't know what's wrong with it, then...." or "it's not my job to study your sources for you" or "just look what this thread has come to" but I'll ask anyway.

Which book are you referring to (or have you glanced at them all?)

What is wrong with it?

What examples can you offer to prove this.

IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 149
RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich - 8/28/2004 5:43:16 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

Well, one does what one can but I can find no evidence of Dietrichs 'testimony' regarding Hitler's 'Terror' order. It's absence leads me to the conclusion that if it existed it was a fabrication produced in the 'mock trials' that occured at Dachau prior to the real trials of Dietrich, Peiper and the other SS men accused over the Malmedy/Baugnez massacre. I do wonder what books Von Rom has read on the trial of Dietrich (since he used the plural I presume there's more than one) since he doesn't produce quotes. I suppose he may be partially right about Dietrich's supposed testimony - it's not 'hearsay' evidence, it's no evidence whatsoever! It makes the following snip from a Von Rom post on page 1 of this thread highly suspect.

quote:

In the Battle of the Bulge there were planned atrocities.

The worst one was the murder of eighty-six POWs of the 7th Armored Div. on Dec. 17th near Malmedy. Hitler had ordered "a wave of terror and fright and that no human inhibitions should be shown."

Elements of Lt. Col. Jocahim Peiper's SS command had committed the "Malmedy Massacre." In the first four days of the battle, Peiper's men murdered approximately 350 American POWs and 100 unarmed Belgian civilians. Word of this activity spread surprisingly fast among American troops.

The Following Information is from the US Army Official History of the Battle of the Bulge:

It was between noon and one o'clock of 17 December, on the road between Modersheid and Ligneuville, that the German advance guard ran into an American truck convoy moving south from Malmedy. This was ill-fated Battery B of the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion. The convoy was shot up and the advance guard rolled on, leaving the troops to the rear to deal with the Americans who had taken to the woods and ditches. About two hours after, or so the dazed survivors later recalled, the Americans who had been rounded up were marched into a field where, at a signal, they were shot down by machine gun and pistol fire. A few escaped by feigning death, but the wounded who moved or screamed were sought out and shot through the head. At least eighty-six Americans were massacred here. This was not the first killing of unarmed prisoners chargeable to Kampfgruppe Peiper on 17 December. Irrefutable evidence shows that nineteen unarmed Americans were shot down at Honsfeld and fifty at Bullingen. [3]

The Malmedy massacre would have repercussions reaching far wider than one might expect of a single battlefield atrocity in a long and bitter war. This "incident" undoubtedly stiffened the will of the American combatants (although a quantitative assessment of this fact is impossible); it would be featured in the war crimes trials as an outstanding example of Nazi contempt for the accepted rules of war; and it would serve a United States Senator as a stepping-stone toward a meteoric career. But the Malmedy massacre and the other murders of 17 December did not complete the list chargeable to Peiper and the troops of the 1st SS Panzer Division. By 20 December Peiper's command had murdered approximately 350 American prisoners of war and at least 100 unarmed Belgian civilians, this total derived from killings at twelve different locations along Peiper's line of march.

So far as can be determined the Peiper killings represent the only organized and directed murder of prisoners of war by either side during the Ardennes battle. [4] The commander of the Sixth SS Panzer Army [Sepp Dietrich] took oath in the trials of 1946 that, acting on Hitler's orders, he issued a directive stating that the German troops should be preceded "by a wave of terror and fright and that no human inhibitions should be shown."

Well, Kev, I fon't know where you live, but there are many, many libraries around, that contain many, many books. Why not visit a few and do some of your own research?

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Josef 'Sepp' Dietrich Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI