Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why use modified OOB's?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why use modified OOB's? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why use modified OOB's? - 2/19/2002 1:25:00 AM   
Capt Chris

I am not trolling here so please treat this as an honest question. I am fairly new to SPWaW and have seen a few discussions that relate to custom OOB modifications. I know that it is pretty cool that we can modify the OOB's as we see fit, but why would anyone want to do that? I can understand if you only play the AI, but it seems to me like it could become an OOB management nightmare if you are playing multiple PBEM games, all with different OOB's. It just makes more sense to me to have a standard set of OOB's for everyone to use.

Capt Chris

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
Post #: 1
- 2/19/2002 2:20:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Probably the biggest reason I can think of for doing custom OOBs is that there are so many constraints in place on the official ones that given the limitations of the OOB file format, if you want to model some engagement that can't be represented well enough using the stock ones, you have very little choice than to create your own set. If I ever get a chance to get back to working on the Merril's Maruaders scenarios/possible small campaign, I'll very likely have to create a custom set to go with them because of certain unit and formation considerations that are difficult to address with stock OOBs. Another reason might be for a tournament addressing aspects of a theatre that can't be modeled well enough using the official OOBs. Then you have people who don't like the changes in version X of whatever set of OOBs. If there are enough similarly minded people they can get together and create their own set for play within their own group. Hope this helps,
Brian

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 2
- 2/19/2002 3:06:00 AM   
Redleg

Although I have never used a custom OOB and probably never will, I can appreciate why some like to create their own. A few days ago, I was reading about a unit that was organized in such a way that it is not possible to approximate them in the standard oob.
So if I really wanted to make a scenario with these guys, it would require some surgery to the standard. PBEM and custom oobs are like oil and water. They don't mix well unless both parties have exactly the same oobs.

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 3
- 2/20/2002 4:12:00 AM   
Capt Chris

Thanks for your replies guys. I can see the reasons now but since I like PBEM and online play so much, I don't see myself using custom OOB's in the near future. Are the current OOB restrictions/limitations being taken into account for CL? Wouldn't this be a GREAT place for XML?

Capt Chris

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 4
- 2/20/2002 8:59:00 PM   
Warhorse

Well, for instance in the case of the Bulgarian oob. I originally made this oob for the game, but later found more, better information, around version 6, I believe. I offered to update the 'official' oob, and did, but it seems to have been lost in the shuffle, and the oob is still, as of version 7.0, the older one! I updated my own personal version 2.3 base ones though. Why, I like the old slower speeds, for one, and in the case of Bulgaria, and a few other Axis minor countries, mine are waaay more accurate!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 5
- 2/20/2002 9:26:00 PM   
Bing

I want my SS troopers to have the Panzershreck - it is late in the war and I think they ought to have them. I make a simple change in the German OOB. That's my use of the OOB. I don't change values or availability or cost or any of those parameters - very easy to screw up play by doint so. Seems to work OK other than when I come across an older scenario created prior to a major OOB revision - then some editing is necessary, though I find a lot of the designers have already done that. I have to look for their new version, if not available I ask the designer and most often have a revised scenario in a day or so. That's why I use modified OOB's. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 6
- 2/21/2002 12:28:00 AM   
Alexandra

I like giving shotguns to engineers - it takes out any chance of long range fire, admitted, but when they get close they get even more lethal. Alex
quote:

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 7
- 2/21/2002 1:54:00 AM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by Capt Chris:
Thanks for your replies guys. I can see the reasons now but since I like PBEM and online play so much, I don't see myself using custom OOB's in the near future.

Just set the game up twice, then you can have the best of both worlds: One version for PBEM, the other where you can go nuts on the OOBs, whether it is for playing the AI or designing scenarios. Hard disk space is REALLY cheap nowadays... says I with only 4 GB

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 8
- 2/21/2002 2:02:00 AM   
TheZel66

I'd love to see the ability to associate a custom scenerio with unique OOB's. In the editor, you are given the chance to use the standard OOB's, or use a custom one for the scenerio you are creating..

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 9
- 2/21/2002 2:04:00 AM   
Silberstein

If it's only a question about replacing OOB files (OOB70 or whatever), wouldn't the best thing be to just set up some batch files to replace the OOBs with any custom config. Then you'd just need to have a \OOBs directory and name the files bulgaria2.3.OOB or something... an idea or something

"Real men don't run away. They advance backwards."

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 10
- 2/21/2002 3:24:00 AM   
Warhorse

Max, that's a GREAT idea, I'm just not sure how to do it!! I can build cars, and do graphics, but not very good with technical stuff on the computer....yet Is that hard to do?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 11
- 2/21/2002 3:32:00 AM   
Bing

I think we need an OB Flipper, an app similar to the fine Scenario Wrangler, which would allow us to move OOB's back and forth between the W@W root and an alternate directory. In honor of our Italian friends, I vote to name it "Spatula", or if there were two or more, "I Spatuli". My use of the Italian language is, as natives will recognize, wildly approximate. Still, it is the thought that counts, right? Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 12
- 2/21/2002 5:27:00 AM   
Capt Chris

Hey Max, What's a batch file? Just kidding of course. I think an OOB changer is a cool idea. A simple VB app will do the job quite nicely. I wonder if Matrix will be addressing the current OOB limitations for CL. Looks like the whole OOB structure will have to be re-thought out with scalability and customizability in mind.

Capt Chris

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 13
- 2/21/2002 6:48:00 AM   
Silberstein

Chris, What I had in mind was just a simple DOS-based menu system using CHOICE and errorlevel But after realizing that neither NT4, 2000 nor XP supports the CHOICE command I had to come up with something else, so I spent the last halfhour trying to figure out how to make a script for Windows Scripting Host show me a menu and then copy some files... no joy though. :/ If you know how to do this then maybe you could put something together and post an URL on the forum or just mail it to me? (I got really curious, and since VB/WSH isn't my turf I have a chance to learn something new too silberstein@telia.com

"Real men don't run away. They advance backwards."

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 14
- 2/21/2002 10:39:00 PM   
RockinHarry

Hi I also would like to point you to my posting in this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=000442&p=2 ________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 15
- 2/21/2002 10:42:00 PM   
krull

Yes and No. to all. I mess with OOBs now rather than PBEM anymore. Most people are using version 7. And you usualy end up in a german type game why play pbem standard oobs where the germans basicly slaughter you at mid and late war times. No use playing if you have to handicap the german player to make an equal battle. Just make little mods on my own and play them alone. Its better than getting frustrated at changes to version 7 that from my point of view that all favored power players. Sadly doesnt seem like theres gona be anything to draw my intrest like SPWaW did. Ah well. [ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: krull ]

Krull

(in reply to Capt Chris)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why use modified OOB's? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI