Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Noobie Q's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some Noobie Q's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Noobie Q's - 9/3/2004 6:33:41 AM   
culture_jam

Hello fellow wargamers, been playing around with spwaw for a bit and have a few questions I was hoping some of you could clarify or answer for me...

1. Radios- the number given is a percentage; now is this the chance that the unit has a radio for the entire battle or is it the chance of them "getting through" each turn or what?

2. HQ's- I noticed you can upgrade the A0 unit to other types of units other than an HQ (tanks etc) is there any adverse effect if you make your A0 something other than a HQ unit? I was playing around with the idea of turning mine into a "command" tank or a larger infantry unit with a good radio rating since I am pretty sure that if you can upgrade to something else that a high radio rating is important.

3. Upgrading and other nations- Can you upgrade your units to those of other nations?

4. How do you change your opposing countries and terrain in the WW2 campaign while mid campaign?

5. Formations- I was wondering what was the max number of units that could be in a single formation. Also I like to add extra "sections" (e.g. snipers, mgs, panzerfausts) to my infantry platoon formations, will they actually use their new leaders for rallying and what not?

6. Paratroops- I believe you can airdrop any unit that the transport planes can carry, is there any advantages then to using the specifically designated "paratroopers" class of infantry in airdrops as compared to other infantry or is this just of historical signifigance?

I think some of these maybe tricky, others maybe not but any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/3/2004 12:41:03 PM   
Melvin

Hi

In response to #6:
Yes you can pretty much drop any infantry. The difference is that regular infantry takes much
more suppression from the drop and it seems to take longer time to recover. Paratroopers usually
recover quickly.

In my experience however, once the drop is over and you have rallied the forces they don't have
any difference (I might be wrong, but I haven't noticed anything significant). I usually take paratroops
for fighting, snipers for scouts and a few engineer squads to destroy tanks and fortifications. It works
quite well since paratroops can buy time for the engineers to recover from the drop.

I'd also be interested to hear anything about this from the perspective of the game mechanics ...

//Melvin

(in reply to culture_jam)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/3/2004 3:23:57 PM   
FNG

Paratroops usually have a higher Fire Control than regular infantry.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/3/2004 4:37:57 PM   
Poopyhead

1. It's the chance for a unit to have a radio. A unit with a radio may still end up out of contact sometimes.

2. Everyone has wanted to get more firepower out of their HQ, but this is very dangerous. If you upgrade A0 to just another tank or squad to use in the battle and you lose it, really bad things happen. You lose 200 points for the HQ, then your overall morale takes a hit, and your units don't rally as well. A0 belongs behind the lines where he can keep the artillery in contact and use his command radius to boost morale. Upgrade points are better used for actual warfighters.

3. Yes, I recently upgraded USMC artillery to U.S. Army guns. You can use the "Nation" butoon during upgrading to have a mix of equipment from different nations (there was a real Russian unit that had Panthers!).

4. I think that there are several threads on using the editor to do things like changing terrain, etc. The manual also explains this.

5. When you pick a large formation, say a company, it will have one or more formations (platoons) under it. New formations may not be added on to the company, unless you delete an existing platoon and replace it. To add sections to existing platoons, pick the sections after you have completed all other picks (this way you don't end up with empty slots in your battallion list) and use the "assign to a new HQ" button during the deployment phase to assign them one by one to the leader of the platoon where you want them. I have had artillery platoons with nine guns and nine trucks for transport. These are then part of the platoon for all purposes.

6. Melvin's got the word.

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/3/2004 5:33:42 PM   
plloyd

For #2: Yes you can and I have. It does not seem to adversely affect the command and rally ability, but it doesn't help you much. If you convert your A0 to a front line unit, you are more likely to use it as such, therefore more likely to get it killed. That is very bad. I would generally advise against do it.

For #3: Yes you can.

For #5: I don't what the limit is, but remember you will only have one commander for the "platoon". I have found that buy the time I get 6 or 8 subordinate units, I start having elements out of command more frequently.

For #6: Anyone can jump out of a perfectly good airplane. The issue is what sort of shape you are in after you meet the ground. Paratroops are often ready or pinned, and in command. Almost evedryone else ods retreating or routed, and out of command. It makes a big difference in how quickly you get into action after the drop.

Good luck!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Post #: 5
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/4/2004 2:35:02 AM   
culture_jam

well thanks guys you really helped a lot I am glad to see a friendly forum out there

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/4/2004 6:02:54 PM   
culture_jam

oh and one more question; I know that when you start a campaign the AI sets its forces according to what you set your battle points at and I was wondering if when you upgrade and some units increase then in battle points if the AI will respond accordingly. I would hate to upgrade all my panzer III's to Tigers and yet still fight an opponent whose not correspondingly tougher

Post #: 7
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/6/2004 3:13:29 PM   
Poopyhead

Oh yeah, they keep pace with what is available for the time of the battle. You'll be facing T-34's and KV-1's a long time before you get your Tigers.

Post #: 8
RE: Some Noobie Q's - 9/14/2004 5:48:27 PM   
RockinHarry

For #4: Use Fred Chlanda´s WaWEditor and load your latest campaign in progress save file. The "Game Data" window allows you edit certain things. Here´s what the programmer (Fred Chlanda) described in his manual (excerpt):

To open the Game Data window, select Tools|Edit Game Data. Some of the values on this screen are only applicable to campaigns. General properties the current Turn Number, the maximum number of turns, the visibility and Description of the scenario terrain/local. As always, after a field is changed, remember to click the Retain button before closing the window to save your changes.

Some of the other fields are of interest to players of long campaigns. You can see a summary of victories and battles. It seems pointless to change these, but you might want to change the total number of battles to be fought in the campaign. The countries refer to the human player (first field) and up to 3 computer opponents. The numbers are referenced to the appropriate OOB files. ... (IE germany is 70, US is 82, USSR is 81, and so on). The terrain field describes the kind of terrain that is used for map generation. If you started with Plains and want to switch to Desert just change the terrain to 4 (desert) and the next map will be a desert map. The Terrain types are 0-Plains, 1-Forest, 2-Mountains, 3-Jungle, 4-Desert. You can adjust your points available for unit purchase ($$$) but remember, some people would consider that cheating. In theory (I haven’t tried it), it would be possible to start a WW II German campaign against the British in the Desert, switch to some Eastern front battles on the Plains of Eastern Europe then go back to the desert and fight Americans in 1943 then in Italy’s Mountains, the Plains of Normandy and finally the Forest of the Ardennes.

Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some Noobie Q's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI