Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't find the USS Midway

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Can't find the USS Midway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:14:58 AM   
Jon_Hal

Was wondering if I just missed her in the OOB but I couldn't find the USS Midway CVB-41. I know she didn't fight in WW2 really but she was commissioned into service Sept 10, 1945. Sorry if this question has been asked in other posts but I couldn't find a mention of her. Not that the Allies *NEED* her in 1945 but it would be nice to see her on the ship list.

Regards,

Jon
Post #: 1
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:16:17 AM   
2ndACR

She is not there.

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:18:09 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jon_Hal
.. but it would be nice to see her on the ship list.

To what purpose?

Bodhi

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:28:41 AM   
Jon_Hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

.. but it would be nice to see her on the ship list.

To what purpose?

To smash the Japanese with..
Actually
She was the biggest US carrier conceived during WW2 and quite controversial when she was built. Some thought her massive air group would be too unwieldy to be used effectively. I already said I don’t think she is needed for a fair game or anything but for the sake of completeness it seems like she should be in there. Japanese players would scream bloody murder if Shinano wasn’t included in the game and her impact on the war was next to nil, save for the resources that Japan used to build her. Just a thought if this had been brought up before.

Regards,

Jon

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:51:36 AM   
2ndACR

Shinano was a waste of material. Give me 2 more Shokaku's instead. Or 50 more DD's.

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 9:31:36 AM   
grraven2004

He just is planning ahead when I have ALL of the Essex class ships swimming with the fishes

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 12:01:15 PM   
Twotribes

The Game can go on till 1946, I for one would like to see all the production till then included.

(in reply to grraven2004)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 5:13:13 PM   
Jon_Hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The Game can go on till 1946, I for one would like to see all the production till then included.

That's basically my whole point. If the grand campaign can go on till March of '46 then the US should have the Midway in it's OOB. I wonder what Matrix response/reasoning for this would be.

Regards,

Jon

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 5:27:27 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

I think the game should end on 1 Sept 45. I am with USN fanboys on this. If game goes past the historic end date, then Midways, Bearcats etc should appear in game.

O.

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 5:42:26 PM   
pry

quote:

quote:

That's basically my whole point. If the grand campaign can go on till March of '46 then the US should have the Midway in it's OOB. I wonder what Matrix response/reasoning for this would be.

Regards,

Jon

I am not responding for Matrix/2by3, this is just my personal opinion/observations.

Ok being commissioned into the fleet does not mean the ship is "Ready" only that it has been accepted from the builders and added to the fleet list, now comes training Shakedown and combat, this usually took from about 2 months for a smaller ship to 6 months for a carrier. Once the ship is certified operational then they sail into harms way.

Midway commissioned in 9/45 she became operational at the end of 2/46 (20 February, 1946 IIRC, crew and airgroup were certified operational for combat) IF, she had set sail on 1 March 46 from Norfolk she could not possibly have arrived in Pearl Harbor before the 15th of March 1946. She would have to replenished upon arrival and then would be ready to sail maybe by March 20th, the game ends 31 March 1946 and she would be nowhere close to where the war was by the end of the game. (So why include her)

*We would have to in theroy double the size of the Allied Ship, Air and LCU data bases to account for all the units that "May or May Not" have been available from very late war construction and possible transfers from the Atlantic (not only US but the British navy as well) How much over kill is really needed?, if the Allied player needs Midway to win the game then he/she has already lost it.

*This does not reflect the views/opinions of 2by3/Matrix, this is soley my opinion and should not be confused as any kind of official answer...

< Message edited by pry -- 9/5/2004 10:14:10 AM >

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/5/2004 7:20:41 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: pry

quote:

quote:

Regards,

Jon

I am not responding for Matrix/2by3, this is just my personal opinion/observations.

Ok being commissioned into the fleet does not mean the ship is "Ready" only that it has been accepted from the builders and added to the fleet list, now comes training Shakedown and combat, this usually took from about 2 months for a smaller ship to 6 months for a carrier. Once the ship is certified operational then they sail into harms way.

Midway commissioned in 9/45 she became operational at the end of 2/46 (20 February, 1946 IIRC, crew and airgroup were certified operational for combat) IF, she had set sail on 1 March 46 from Norfolk she could not possibly have arrived in Pearl Harbor before the 15th of March 1946. She would have to replenished upon arrival and then would be ready to sail maybe by March 20th, the game ends 31 March 1946 and she would be nowhere close to where the war was by the end of the game. (So why include her)

*We would have to in theroy double the size of the Allied Ship, Air and LCU data bases to account for all the units that "May or May Not" have been available from very late war construction and possible transfers from the Atlantic (not only US but the British navy as well) How much over kill is really needed?, if the Allied player needs Midway to win the game then he/she has already lost it.

*This does not reflect the views/opinions of 2by3/Matrix, this is soley my opinion and should not be confused as any kind of official answer...

Personally, I don't want to see one minute expended by the programming team putting in any late-war stuff. I'd prefer that they concentrate on adding features and swatting bugs. In terms of database additions, I'd much rather see the Ranger and some early British ships added for those who want to include them in early-war scenarios. Now, if someone wants to add the Midway and other late-war units/aircraft as a mod for those who get their jollies by dogpiling on Japan, that's another matter. But please don't ask 2by3/Matrix to waste time doing it.

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't find the USS Midway - 9/6/2004 3:55:09 PM   
Caranorn

What's more important to me is the IJN's late war carriers missing all together. There were several more under construction that could have been completed by late 45 early 46 if the Americans had not managed as well as historical (resources and strategic bombing, several were smoking piles of metal at their shipyards when teh war ended).

Midway might be nice in the game, but having a few more IJN ships (why not the missing Yamato class battleship)?

Though in the end I won't miss any of these in my regular games as I won't get to a point where these would arrive (the war will be settled either way long before that date). But they could be interesting for a 1945 or even 1946 scenario (in that respect a lot of British material is missing right now (I want the Guards Infantry Division even if it never deployed;-)).

Marc aka Caran...

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Can't find the USS Midway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI