Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWAW sounds found to be.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW sounds found to be..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWAW sounds found to be..... - 2/27/2002 5:47:00 AM   
Druss

Taken directly from Saving Private Ryan. I was watching the movie last night, and I had this uneasy feeling I had heard them somewhere before.... Well, they're in this game. Not too sure what my real thoughts are about it, like, really, who CARES where they got their sound bytes from..... But.... kinda funny, all in all.

Post #: 1
- 2/27/2002 6:06:00 AM   
Supervisor

My favorites are the BAR rifles and the 20mm AA gun at the bridge. Erie isn't it.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 2
- 2/27/2002 12:53:00 PM   
ksuguy

I thought I had heard that 20mm somewhere before!

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 3
- 2/27/2002 6:46:00 PM   
Druss

The sniper sound is when the German that kills the Jewish guy with the knife is firing his Kar 98 across the river at the guys on the bridge. I shuddered...

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 4
- 2/27/2002 6:49:00 PM   
Supervisor

Was it real or memorex, they all sound so close it's scary.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 5
- 2/27/2002 7:44:00 PM   
campekenobi

I'll have to check it out, since I own the movie, but I really wonder if ALL of the sounds are from the movie; they can't be, of course since there are so many different weapons/sounds in the game. Tell me then, where does the Soviet chanting come from during the rifle firing? And I also don't recall the sound of tanks/cars blowing up w/ that fanbelt slowing down sound in Private Ryan. Certainly a certain gun with an accurate sound effect would sound the same in ANY movie or recording... but if you're talking about ambient noise mixed in from the movie, then you do have a point. I'll check it out....

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 6
- 2/27/2002 8:23:00 PM   
KG Erwin

I've noticed the similarities in some of the sound files, too, but I'm not complaining. To take it a step further, I even hear an influence from SPR in Derek Boain's music for SPWaW. If anything, the SPWaW soundtrack, IMO, is even more memorable than SPR's.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 7
- 2/27/2002 8:32:00 PM   
El_Peco

Yes, there are many sounds from the movie.
I recognized the mg42, the thompson of captain Miller and the Garand m1 with its characteristic sound of the clip that goes away!
By the way, in the movie, after the rangers go inland, there are two german soldier that surrender screaming something, then two americans fire to them, and the shooter say: they are saying that can't wash their hands!
I don't speak german, so I wonder if someone could tell me what really the german soldiers told. Regards.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 8
- 2/27/2002 10:32:00 PM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by GI Jim:
Speaking of sounds...is it just me or does the mine detonation spoke the bajesus out of any one else! Maybe it's too much Gevalia, maybe I'm on edge (young kids and all), but I am beginning to get shell shocked. Well done for whomever did this. Bravo. [ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: GI Jim ]
Jim - Thank you for confirming I am not alone in jumping out of my chair when a mine goes off. This wav file (or whatever format is used) was pretty obviously made EXTRA LOUD. No matter how much I play WAW it always gets me. I woldn't go so far as to say "Well done .." - prsonally I would prefer a decentliy modulated mine sound file. To each his own, that's what makes this game great in my mind; it appeals to so many people on so many different levels. BTW, after having gone on vacation on the Black Sea, the guy who yells "Mooie!!!" for the Russians is back, and I've got'em. (The grand prize for trivia goes to the first Panther who can identify the origin of "So and so is back and so and so has got him!") I would also wish for some other alternate sound files we could shuffle in and out of the snd directory - particularly those belonging to artillery, but that is a purely personal wish list. Mooie!!!! Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 9
- 2/27/2002 10:35:00 PM   
hingram

My 6 year-old son plays SPWAW with me and we love the sounds. My tank will hit a mine and we will both jump. Then we have a good laugh about it.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 10
- 2/27/2002 10:36:00 PM   
Omegaunit

Oh yeah when those mines blow I spill drinks and drop cigarettes and jump. props on the .wav files

-// Enough with the arms of critique! it is time for the Critique of arms!!! //---

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 11
- 2/27/2002 11:29:00 PM   
Don Eddins

I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that "Gable's back, and Garbo's got 'im". But, I can't recall a movie in which both of them appeared.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 12
- 2/27/2002 11:32:00 PM   
kshinner

It would be nice if they would include some cursing right after the mine sound and save me the trouble of shouting it myself whenever my best units blow up.

"We got our own ammuninition - it's filled with paint. When we fire it...it makes pretty pictures - scares the hell outta people." - Oddball

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 13
- 2/27/2002 11:47:00 PM   
Bing

Xeno is the winner and current champeen!!! It was indeed "Gable's back and Garbo's got him." The movie was most likely forgettable, the hype will probably live as long as there are movies. Cursing as an addition to the mine detonation sound file would be helpful. I usually have an involuntary response, which is along the lines of the unspecified person's lineage. Really would save some time and effort. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 14
- 2/28/2002 12:02:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Xeno:
I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that "Gable's back, and Garbo's got 'im". But, I can't recall a movie in which both of them appeared.
Me neither. I don't think they ever played in the same movie? As for Saving pvt. Ryan sounds, the ones I recognize most are the MG42 in the Omaha beach bunker and the *blam blam blam KCHING* from the M1 Garands. One of the best SPWAW sounds are defenitely (sp?)the sniper shot. I can almost smell the gunpowder and feel the slight numbness in my shoulder from the recoil. Makes me want to get back to the shooting range anytime. Speaking of MG42's - why is it so hard for filmmakers and gameproducers to get it right? Recently played Medal of honor: allied assault, and even if the focus of the game is Action, it's a fairly ambitious game history-wise. So why does MG42's sound like an M60 or something? Same with "Cross of Iron", an otherwise very very good film, but the MG's sound... tired.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 15
- 2/28/2002 12:30:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
Jim - Thank you for confirming I am not alone in jumping out of my chair when a mine goes off.
{snip}
Bing

Thanks from me too...actually, it sounds like everyone feels the same. To top it off, I usually get a "Will you turn that down!" from the other room when the sound plays. And with my 4.1 speakers the echo of the blast seems to rumble quite a while too. I'm wondering if a couple of my gray hairs can be traced to that .wav

Jim NSB

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 16
- 2/28/2002 1:08:00 AM   
Supervisor

Yeah I hate mines too, I look at it as an ah sh*t reminder, I really just screwed up bad.

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 17
- 3/1/2002 4:57:00 PM   
RockinHarry

I usually try to combine the best sounds that I can get from the web and other games. Currently my SPWAW folder contains sounds from Talonsofts West Front, Combat Mission (..great MG42 sounds..check supporting sites!!) and others. ________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 18
- 9/13/2002 11:03:04 PM   
Heide

Heh, gonna drag this thread up again, but I was just watching SPR last night and as I am new to SPWAW I just realized the sound clip origins. :) It was the sound of the halftrack moving and then being destroyed that clicked for me, after that I recognized a few more. Pretty cool, I think, although I wonder if Dreamworks is aware of it. ;)

(in reply to Druss)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW sounds found to be..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI