Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

couple ah suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> couple ah suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
couple ah suggestions - 6/10/2000 9:41:00 AM   
sjuncal

Campaigns: After my generated campaign -- where I never got to upgrade or repair -- I'm actually missing some of the things I had to do to compensate for that, I would love to see an option to adjust frequency of the upgrade/repair screen after campaign battles. This bug was actually kind of fun... It forced me to think before I took a low percentage shot, before I used anything with limited ammo... such as infantry AT, and I certainly couldn't "game" the system; having all my unit fire just so they might gain some experience. In addition it stuck me with platoon upon platoon of of "upgradables" 37 mm AT, Snipers and M20 scouts... Which showed me a thing or two about combined arms with plentiful but mediocre equipment, I now have a "WWII campaign" going where I've got a couple platoons of 37 mm AT, Snipers and M20 Scouts that I'm _not_ planing on upgrading (in addition to the ones I will be upgrading) just because I've learned how to use them to good effect. Where as without the upgrade screen bug I would have turned them into 76's and 90 mm and Tanks and Engineers long before I had to adjust and figure out how best to employ them. As it stands Ammo carriers and dumps are a total waste of points... with the bug they were a necessity worth every penny Again I'd love to see an "unreliable supply/upgrade/repair" option... You could even consider it somewhat historical for all sides later in the war. New preference options: "Don't re-center on firing unit" Longer shots, especially multiple units firing on various long range targets get scroll intensive rather quick This wouldn't be a big deal but often the longest range shots are early in the battle and present the most possible targets, at a time when your units have the most amount of shots. That equals a LOT of scrolling back to where you where, and even some slight confusion over what you already shot. I know about the "fire at current target" button but often wish to actually view the hit chance and status of the units before taking the shot... "normal speed arty" the speed that SP2 used to use for arty was perfect.. The current speeds of ultra slow or instant no feedback "quick" are both IMHO unsatisfactory. I'd like to see an in-between setting that shows each hit with a quick results message if any as well as counter battery fire. As it stands unless I want to spend an hour for each barrage, I have to forego any feedback except examining all units after the fact. "oh my 75 mm pack is a man short... they must have been hit with counter battery fire". Arty seems to have absolutely zero effect on all vehicles... Not even trucks seem to suffer any suppression... and I haven't seen so much as an immobilized tank. CPU bombardments of my entrenchment's and armor cause zero suppression (and likewise zero damage to armor). The "king of the battle field" is more like a lamb In the bug category SS squads are often "buttoned" after some fire... shouldn't this read "taking cover" Speaking of buttoned I'd like to see tanks button up a little more readily, a sniper can defeat any tank if their crew insists on keeping their upper body exposed to fire, there should at least be a decent possibility for a sniper to kill tank crewmen if they aren't buttoned I've seen tanks remain "ready" even after quad .50 cal hits, now never mind that a quad .50 cal should be able to wreak some serious havoc with external tank bits, it should definitely button up a tank, and baring that should probably have an exceptionally high likelihood to kill multiple crew members on any hit. IIRC the .50 caliber had something like a 300 rounds per minute rate of fire (I could be totally wrong but that number sounds right) It's not MG42 but multiplied by 4 assuming all shots were to hit, that would be 1200 rounds of big fat .50 bullets hitting various parts of a tank... bye bye optics... bye bye smoke generators, bye bye pretty much anything else that's not on the inside of that tank, including crewmen -- Simon Moderator Capitals@his.com Aka Alhazred http://capitals.washington.dc.us/ http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/

Post #: 1
- 6/10/2000 10:38:00 AM   
sjuncal

Doh, I see a good many of my suggestions were made moot by the forthcoming patch. SP:WAW is shaping up to be the best of the SP series. -- Simon Moderator Capitals@his.com Aka Alhazred http://capitals.washington.dc.us/ http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 2
- 6/10/2000 3:52:00 PM   
Dave R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sjuncal: [B]Campaigns: After my generated campaign -- where I never got to upgrade or repair -- I'm actually missing some of the things I had to do to compensate for that, I would love to see an option to adjust frequency of the upgrade/repair screen after campaign battles. This bug was actually kind of fun... (snip) Gotta agree with this point. As the upgrade system is set, it feels pretty unreal to me, especially at the scale that SPWaW covers. Units just wouldn't get the opportunity to re-equipe with new equipment after each and every battle. At best, they'd have the chance to re-arm, maybe grab a few fresh troops from the pool, and perhaps do a few battlefield patch ups to equipment that's been damaged. Unit's would have to be pulled out of the front line for a prolonged period just to re-build let alone re-equipe with new equipment! For me it would be much better to have to fight several battles, before you can do a full rebuild and or upgrade of equipment!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 3
- 6/10/2000 7:14:00 PM   
Charles22

I would say to blame the numbers of battles you assigned the generated campaign if you feel they get new stuff too quick. In WWII campaign, the battles are monthly and in some cases less frequently (like when changing fronts). For any equipment to make it from the factory, assuming they had a pool in waiting, to the front in a month would probably be none too rare. Also, think of the Russians, it wasn't unknown for them to be making a T34, to not paint it, and rush it from the factory straight into the front.

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 4
- 6/10/2000 8:16:00 PM   
Pack Rat

I think for this one the game needs to be a game and ere on the side of allowing the upgrades. The reason is the AI will have the newest units to throw at us. Perhaps if something needs to get looked at it would be the amount of points given for the fix/upgrade ? ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 5
- 6/11/2000 3:07:00 AM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: I think for this one the game needs to be a game and ere on the side of allowing the upgrades. The reason is the AI will have the newest units to throw at us. Perhaps if something needs to get looked at it would be the amount of points given for the fix/upgrade ?
But you misunderstand what I'm getting at, I'm suggesting a preference option that adjusts how often you get the repair upgrade screen or (best case) just makes it variously unreliable. Much like the dial settings for Troop and Armor toughness etc. Ideal would be a toggle "reliable / unreliable repair" and/or a variable dial "repair screen at least every N battles". I'm under no illusion that everyone would find this option fun or usefull, but unless it's too hard to code for, I'd love to see it. In generated (and probably WWII long) campaigns you sometimes get "quick counter attack" battles where you purposefully don't get to repair, upgrade or resupply; So obviously there's code in the game to handle this already... causing it to happen often or at a semi-random "unreliable" user selected rates probably wouldn't be the hardest thing the Matrix crew have done Making supply at least a visible component adds some subtle immersive/suspension of disbelief qualities to the game that I enjoyed. ------------------ -- Simon Moderator Capitals@his.com Aka Alhazred http://capitals.washington.dc.us/ http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 6
- 6/11/2000 4:52:00 AM   
victorhauser

Of greater concern to me is the rate at which experience points are gained. I'm used to using older equipment than the AI and still able to fight against the computer successfully. Indeed, I often stay in old equipment because I don't want to lose experience points by upgrading. (And, besides, I think I read somewhere in these forums that the equipment-availability issue has already been addressed in the forthcoming patch.) However, I'd like to see experience points gained have a time factor, rather than a "per/battle" factor. By this I mean that I'd like to see a difference in experience gained based on whether battles are occurring daily, weekly, monthly, etc. Since the "standard" long-campaign battles are roughly 1-month per battle, then maybe campaigns where battles are being fought daily or weekly or bi-weekly can be given a lower "percentage chance to gain an experience point" factor proportional to the time ratio when compared to the monthly "standard".

VAH

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 7
- 6/11/2000 11:21:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by sjuncal: But you misunderstand what I'm getting at, I'm suggesting a preference option that adjusts how often you get the repair upgrade screen or (best case) just makes it variously unreliable. Much like the dial settings for Troop and Armor toughness etc. [/B]
Not trying to sound like a wiseass here...but you're not forced to upgrade or repair. So just don't do it if you don't think the timeframe is right. Click "done" and move on...

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 8
- 6/11/2000 1:01:00 PM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Dean Robb: Not trying to sound like a wiseass here...but you're not forced to upgrade or repair. So just don't do it if you don't think the timeframe is right. Click "done" and move on...
That's a lot like saying "if the AI can't ever beat you,just let them win".

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 9
- 6/11/2000 3:08:00 PM   
Jon Grasham

thinking of availability, didn't SP2/3 sorta have some units restricted? I recall when playing as the Soviets, in the early 80s, against 3rd world countries (Afghanistan and Iran come to mind) only T64s were available, when by the year, T-80s were out, and if I would play a campaign, same year, against say the US, the new gear would be available.

?

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 10
- 6/11/2000 11:44:00 PM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Grasham: thinking of availability, didn't SP2/3 sorta have some units restricted? I recall when playing as the Soviets, in the early 80s, against 3rd world countries (Afghanistan and Iran come to mind) only T64s were available, when by the year, T-80s were out, and if I would play a campaign, same year, against say the US, the new gear would be available.
Yeah, units only become available the first year they saw action...

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> couple ah suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI