Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Please Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Help - 5/1/2000 3:17:00 PM   
Robert Lohaus

I am having a serious problem while playing pacwar. I am looking to have a showdown with a japanaese carrier task force, the time is 42 if that means anything. Anyway there are a minimum of 4 japanese carriers sitting in the same hex as a base they just took. I send a force of 6 full size carriers to blow them out of the water if possible. I ordered the force to standoff 2 hexes from the base and to attack taskforces. So, what happens? The computer attacks the airfield over and over again! There are minimum of 4 carriers in that same hex, sighted!! The enemy fleet is shadowed by PBY scout planes, so it isnt like we dont know they are there! Even the SBDs sighted the enemy carriers! The computer wasted the entire turn attacking an airfield with 2 aircraft on it! I decided (just to see what would happen) to leave the force there until the next turn. Once again the computer just attacked the airfield!! It took 3 weeks until the computer attacked a TF! Then it attacked cargo ships!!!!!! The japanese carrier cap was covering the cargo TF and I lost 158 aircraft attacking cargo ships!!!! What the hell am I doing wrong?????? The enemy carrier TF was in the 2 hexes away at the base the entire time! Please help me before this game leaves my HD forever.

Post #: 1
- 5/1/2000 3:23:00 PM   
Robert Lohaus

Not only that! That same TF of mine, a few turns earlier, launched a suprise attack on Tarawa catching 2 battleships and 4 cruisers in the hex. The was also a large cargo TF in the hex. So what HAPPENS!!! 30 cargo ships get sunk while the BBs get away. I really love this game, but I cant handle THIS!! Please tell me Im doing something wrong, so at least I can do it differently. If this is normal procedure for the game, then I just cant play it.

(in reply to Robert Lohaus)
Post #: 2
- 5/1/2000 3:27:00 PM   
Robert Lohaus

One more thing. According to the logic the AI uses to select priority, we could have avoided the disaster at Pearl Harbor by placing several cargo ships near battleship row.

Post #: 3
- 5/2/2000 12:18:00 AM   
Major Tom

Well, what I think is happening here is that the Carrier TF targets the lowest number enemy Task Force. I have been able to created "dummy" Task Forces of less important ships of, say, using Task Force 1, then I create my "real" Task Force using a number, say, 2. The enemy air 75% of the time goes after the lower number task force. Possibly the task force number determines other factors. Maybe these Carrier TF and Battleship TF were very high numbers? What we don't see in the game, are the small details. Is it easier to find a Task Force of 80 Cargo ships, or one of 4 Aircraft Carriers? Misidentification happened a lot of times during the war. The Neosho, a USN Oiler, was thought to be a Carrier, and sunk during the Coral Sea. Possibly the TF was spotted, but, it doesn't guarantee it being attacked correctly. The best way to catch an enemy Task Force, is, if it is going to a destination set your fleet on reatcion range. They usually avoid Transport and Cargo Task Forces and go straight to Combat Task Forces. Also, does your TF have a good Commander, or one at all? Without a Commander you can't expect much from any type of TF. And remember, this is a MACRO scale game, we can't control EVERY little choice the game makes.

Post #: 4
- 5/2/2000 4:50:00 AM   
Shamus

I agree, that it would be nice to be able to control the targeting of carrier task forces. It would be great if the new game used a pop-up menu and let you select a task force from available search data. However, with the current game, ambushes work best. Set the move option for your carrier group(s)to several hexes, use a task force commander with high aggression & air capability & lie in wait at a base where you expect the enemy to transit nearby (within the movement range you have selected). Your chances of a suprise attack are also higher with this method & you always get first strike. [This message has been edited by Shamus (edited 05-01-2000).]

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Please Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI