Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 4:11:10 AM   
Hartley

That's just from the PM phase:

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 4:11:50 AM   
Tankerace

Holy Jebus..... Sending convoys to Oz is gonna be a pain now...

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 5:01:35 AM   
Twotribes

How did you get your aircraft to attack, my planes are on ASW and at best all they do is spot subs, havent had one in Australia attack one yet. And the waters are teeming with subs.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 5:11:19 AM   
Tankerace

I think it has to do with experience. Once my groups had been there for a while and logged some flight time, I got a few attacks. Nothing yet what I got in UV however.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 8:16:24 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartley

That's just from the PM phase:

Doesn't anyone find this odd? I thought submarines operated submerged the majority of the time in enemy waters during daylight. I think we spot subs by air much too often.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 8:21:57 AM   
Tankerace

I have yet to see anything that effective in my game... most of my sub sightings are by coastwatchers.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 6
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 8:24:40 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

I have yet to see anything that effective in my game... most of my sub sightings are by coastwatchers.

Attacks are rare enough in my games but it is early. It's all the sub sightings I get. Subs submerge before dawn in enemy waters. SOP

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 8:27:27 AM   
Tankerace

Yeap. Charge batteries at night, submerge at or just before daybreak.

Post #: 8
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 9:01:17 AM   
Twotribes

Depending on depth a sub is spottable from the air, depends on how high the aircraft is and the depth and color and sea state of the water.

Since most WW2 subs didnt dive deep it is possible to spot them from the air. Whether one would have the means to attack or not is another story )

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 9
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 10:21:50 AM   
Adnan Meshuggi

well, it depends....

most german subs learned to dive deep to be not sighted by air...

but with the great barrier reef, i think any sub manouvering inside is death after detection. No room to escape, (i speak about deep sea and the change to escape out of this trap.

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 10:56:34 AM   
ElvisDaKing

Submarine has to be at periscope depth to spot potential targets, which was to be around 5 - 6 meters below the sea level (if I am right)
This can be easely spoted by an airplane in clear waters and during good weather.
I read once that submarines during WWII, even submerged, were much easier to spot in Mediterranea than in Atlantic because of the clear waters...

'To my point, in war, there s just one attractive thing : the victory Parade... What sucks, it s all the things before.... We should get the enlist payroll and do the parade right away, before that it get totally screwed up'
Un Taxi pour Tobrouk

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 11
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 11:12:21 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Butsubs did not always run at periscope depth, they came up for scheduled peeks and relied on hydrophone contacts as well. Only ran on surface at night orin transit, at least until air search radar was fitted.

(in reply to ElvisDaKing)
Post #: 12
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 11:22:21 AM   
Wildhack

The general impression I've gathered of WWII sub operations is that remaining surfaced during daylight hours was the norm, and that submerging during daylight hours when no specific threat or target was present was the exception.

(in reply to ElvisDaKing)
Post #: 13
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 11:26:03 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wildhack

The general impression I've gathered of WWII sub operations is that remaining surfaced during daylight hours was the norm, and that submerging during daylight hours when no specific threat or target was present was the exception.

They stayed submerged primarily when in close proximity to enemy air bases...at least early in the war. Farther out, they ran on the surface. Depended on leaders,nationality, technology...tons of stuff. No biggie...justbugs me whenthe same sub is attacked on the surface multiple times a day. GET THE FRIG DOWN!

(in reply to Wildhack)
Post #: 14
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 3:02:31 PM   
BaitBoy

[/quote]

They stayed submerged primarily when in close proximity to enemy air bases...at least early in the war. Farther out, they ran on the surface. Depended on leaders,nationality, technology...tons of stuff. No biggie...justbugs me whenthe same sub is attacked on the surface multiple times a day. GET THE FRIG DOWN!
[/quote]

It doesn't bother me that a sub won't dive. Even a near-miss from a depth charge can damage a sub to the point that it would sink if it tried to dive. The crew could be trying to make emergency repairs.

I know some one is going to come back and say 'but the Sub wasn't damaged!'. This is one of the times that I let my inagination fill in for a gap in the game. This game is great and I am willing to let a few things slide.

"You go over there and attract their attention while I . . . "

Member Henchmen and Sidekicks Local 272

Post #: 15
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 4:33:02 PM   
Hartley

It's my limited exprience that you need a combo of ASW patrol groups to spot, and naval attack/search groups to actually go after the subs.

Even SBDs on NA with 10% search will attack subs.

(in reply to BaitBoy)
Post #: 16
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 4:43:05 PM   
freeboy

How much affect does the shallow water have? could this be a reason these subs are attacked more frequently? Easier to spot a sub at 100 feet against the sandy bottiom at 150 than if there was no seen bottom ?

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 17
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 6:51:03 PM   
Captain Cruft

When there are multiple subs in a single hex the spotting/attacking chances from the air go up by several orders of magnitude. In shallow water it's even worse.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 6:59:49 PM   
PeteG662

You may want to notcie that many of the same subs were attacked by different planes which would be a logic issue with me as if you were spotted once you would tend to "lay low" for a while. Understanding this is a 12 hour turn I can be forgiving on this point though! LOL

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 19
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 9:43:11 PM   
Chris21wen

If there are inside the great barrier reef they will be visible by air, its shallow clear water, not the best place to be in daylight. Perhaps shallow water reflect this.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 20
RE: Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef - 9/13/2004 9:59:45 PM   
Desertdaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartley

It's my limited exprience that you need a combo of ASW patrol groups to spot, and naval attack/search groups to actually go after the subs.

Even SBDs on NA with 10% search will attack subs.

So is that the secret? Use ASW to locate them but use Naval Attack to actually hit them. I always just assumed that ASW did the attacking while Naval Search did the locating.

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sub hunting in the Great Barrier Reef Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI