Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

6 turn "defend" decisive victories

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 6 turn "defend" decisive victories Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6 turn "defend" decisive victories - 6/11/2000 6:08:00 AM   
sjuncal

I've had about 6 or 7 battles (in fact every "defend" mission I've had) where after beating up the AI player for 5 turns as it attempts to rush my victory hex's, the AIP gets one more turn (usually close to well defended objectives) makes a sort of all out run for the hex's, kills a few more of my tanks and gun, and causes a few more infantry casualties; only to have the turn end and go to the victory screen (decisive for me crushing for the AIP)... Something inherently fustrating about having a cease fire happen right after the enemy get's the last punch in. Is the 6 turn thing coded in? Is there a rule that ends a battle if no objective's are taken by the 6th turn? Or am I just routing the enemy coincidentally at the 6th turn (I admit my defenses are similar enough from battle to battle to potentially cause this). In my last defense, an interesting situation was developing just before the victory screen popped up. As a platoon of SS and "Spec Ops" with a platoon of Panzers rushed my 2 Brit Commando platoons. who were (self sufficiently as Commandos are wont to do) holding a far flung batch of V-hex's all by their lonesome (w/ attached mortors, snipers and an AT team). Unfortunately they never got a chance to spring the ambush. If there's a 6th turn requirment in defend missions I'd like to see it upped to 8 or even 10, as this last rush is certainly not good for the AIP's strategy, and they often don't have enough time to really threaten objectives (especially lightly defended ones which they've had JUST enough time to kill off most ressistance, but not enough movement left to take a V-hex). ------------------ -- Simon Moderator Capitals@his.com Aka Alhazred http://capitals.washington.dc.us/ http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/

Post #: 1
- 6/11/2000 6:48:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... Nope. No turn six thing coded in. You have just been putting up too good a defense. Once the computer opponent sees it is not going to win, it shoots a few more of your fellows and quits.
quote:

Originally posted by sjuncal: Something inherently fustrating about having a cease fire happen right after the enemy get's the last punch in. Is the 6 turn thing coded in? Is there a rule that ends a battle if no objective's are taken by the 6th turn? Or am I just routing the enemy coincidentally at the 6th turn (I admit my defenses are similar enough from battle to battle to potentially cause this).
It seems you have had a interesting run of luck. Once the terrain or mission type changes or the computer opponent gets some newer and better weapons, the battles won't always come out the same, ending on turn six. Bye... Michael Wood

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 2
- 6/11/2000 10:32:00 AM   
victorhauser

If you don't want the computer to give up, then let it take and hold one of your flags. That way you can kill all the computer's units and it won't quit until you capture that last flag on the last turn of the game. I personally make things more challenging for myself by never using mines, barbed wire, or dragon's teeth. In addition, I almost always let the computer take all my flags before I start fighting back in earnest (if I'm fighting in dense jungle with no roads, then I modify this somewhat). But then again, I've played so many hundreds of games against the computer (SP1, SP2, SP3, SP2WW2, and now SPWAW) that I'm used to giving the computer enormous handicaps and still managing to win a marginal or decisive victory about 99.9% of the time.

VAH

(in reply to sjuncal)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 6 turn "defend" decisive victories Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI