Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What was your first wargame?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What was your first wargame? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 2:47:14 PM   
Chris21wen

Mine was from SPI's S&T #29 dated Nov 1971. USN and I've been hooked ever since, especially with the war in the pacific. The designer was Jim Dunnigan and I still have it. Wild horses wouldn't make me part with.

(However for a considerable number of pennies I might consider it)
Post #: 1
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:02:56 PM   
Mundy

For me, it was Avalon Hill's "Midway", in the 8th grade, back in 1983.

How times have changed...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:05:45 PM   
Feinder

Avalon Hill's "Panzer Leader". Then many, many more followed.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 3
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:15:56 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

dont remember the name but it was a stragtegy / wargame in the late 80's, covering the Rommel campaign in Africa for the C64 with inf tank and air units, even convoy supply was included and suppl depots. wont forget the endless hours playing the siege of tobruk

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:38:12 PM   
Twotribes

Mine was ( not counting risk) Africa Korps by Avalon Hill. I had found the board at some place with no units and no rules and was intrigued, I searched around for it and found it one day in a store and got my mom to buy it, or maybe I used my paper route money cant remember. that was in 1970 or 71.

I own over 50 board games, havent looked at one in years though.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 5
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:45:37 PM   
aspqrz02

I actually saw an Ad for S&T magazine in an old Analog -- well, it was *new* at the time in 1971 or 1972 and sent away for it, but they stuffed up the order and it took the best part of a year to arrive, and then only after "encouragement" from the USPS Postal Fraud people (no, it wasn't fraud, just incompetence

Anyway, in the meantime I came across Avalon Hill's "Panzerblitz" ... and that's how I know that the horse drawn cart is the most valuable unit in some scenarios.

If you're old enough, you may even know why

Phil

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:45:40 PM   
mogami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

dont remember the name but it was a stragtegy / wargame in the late 80's, covering the Rommel campaign in Africa for the C64 with inf tank and air units, even convoy supply was included and suppl depots. wont forget the endless hours playing the siege of tobruk

Hi, "Knights of the Desert"? (one of my first computer games. It was SSI game)
First wargame other then minatures was SPI's "War in Europe" ("War in the East" and "War in the West" combined)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 7
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:45:48 PM   
dr. smith

Avalon Hill's generic "Kriegspiel", then discovered SPI, and the crack habit was semi-satisfied by many many dozens of games, now WitP.

Hey, Mogami a moderator now!!

WOW, you started with WIE??? What, did ya set it up in a cornfield? War in the East took half my room.

< Message edited by dr. smith -- 9/16/2004 8:47:44 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:48:45 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Battle of the Bulge - AH Back in maybe 1970. I cost me $5 and I still have the game and the receipt... I use to play it PBM using Stock Trading reports. Remember THAT system? Yuck.

(in reply to dr. smith)
Post #: 9
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:49:26 PM   
Caranorn

For me it was Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader. But I learned those from my big brother (at age 8 or 9).

The first game I learned to play myself was Longest Day or Flat Top (both in relatively short succession when I was 13 or so).

The first wargame I bought myself (my brother already had a huge collection when I started to play) was Victory in the Pacific (maybe a year later when I visited the Battle of the Buldge museum in Bastogne (seems like an odd place to buy a Pacific war game;-)).

All Avalon Hill products (though there were also VG, SPI, GDW and other publishers in my brotehr's collection).

Marc aka Caran...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:54:08 PM   
Chris21wen

Just scratching my head trying to remember what my first computer game was. Can't all I can remember is it was for an Apple 2e, probable an SSI game around about 1981.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 11
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 3:58:45 PM   
RevRick

Avalon Hill's first D-Day game. And it seems to me, from the dim memories of that time (too long ago) that it was in the early 60's, when I was about 12-13 or something like that. But that was when I also got hooked on Science Fiction, and I didn't really get into gaming until after the USN. First game then was France '40.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 12
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:02:51 PM   
timtom

Avalon Hill's "Afrika Korps", round about 1987

SSI's (?) "Second Front", 1991 (practically dropped out of school for that one)

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:10:19 PM   
pompack

Avalon Hill's Tactics II in 1961 (or was it 1960?) Wore the print off the counters (that was before I learned the trick of coating the counters with clear nail polish before punching them out)

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 14
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:13:36 PM   
Feinder

So how many of us still have them...

My brother (Knavey) and I had quite the collection when we were teenagers. Those d_mned things would spread all over the floor. But I swear our Mom's cat killed more Tigers than Patton.

Gawd, I can't even begin to name all of them that we -used- to own (many lost over time, and countless moves). But we've gone thru a phase where we've been hunting these old games on Ebay. Managed to buy a few of them (altho it's not like we live under the same roof anymore, so we can't really play them).

I've got -
Squad Leader
AirForce
Dauntless
AF & D Expansion Kit
Dauntless (some other edition, same rules, just looks different).
Pacific War, the Struggle Against Japan
Civil War
Star Fleet Battles (and countless numbers of expansion books)

He's got -
Flat Top
Longest Day (gawd that's huge)
Panzer Blitz
Europa - Their Finest Hour (remember Europa?! *salivates*)
I'm not sure if he managed the set, he was bidding a collection of them (France, Norway, North Africa, and Balkans) a while ago, don't know if he got them.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 15
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:22:19 PM   
strawbuk

Surely you all wrote you own games to start with? As soon as you relased something called 'wargames' existed, to get some use out if those airfix figures you were given as kids?

Age 11 I had my own rules (written on inside of back of a cornflakes packet) for japanese vs aussies (actually 8th army figures but hey I was young). Possibly reflected more movies than good history but sure I had digested some Burma hsitory books bythen because my great uncle was a Chindit.

Looking back I'm sure they are still more playable and more fun than stuff I've paid £30 for.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 16
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:29:42 PM   
Chris21wen

What! where going that far back, toy soldiers etc.

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 17
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:31:39 PM   
captskillet

Another AH Panzer Leader first timer. I have been hooked ever since.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 18
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:38:25 PM   
captskillet

How many of you guys had the Longest Day (still got it but I think its short some counters) and how many ever set up and played the whole shooting match????

PS....great game by the way..

Got a bunch of the old SSI Civil War series...Bloody April (Shiloh) and Terrible Swift Sword....one of my greatest war game wins ever was taking and holding the Round Tops against the Yankee hordes !!!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 19
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:43:35 PM   
DrewMatrix

First board game: Tactics II (Avalon Hill)
First Wargame: Charles Grant's Miniatures rules (for 7 years war) about 1965 or 68 or something. (Charles Grant preceded even Wargames Research Group Ancients Rules by several years).

I am surprised, given the average age of the crowd here, no one has yet said

"Little Wars" by HG Wells (about 1900 )

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Post #: 20
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:46:39 PM   
Nikademus

SSI's "Carrier Force"

The beginning of many hours spent in front of a computer on evenings and weekends....

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 21
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:49:24 PM   
Peter Fisla

East Front for ATARI 800XL, cartridge - I was using joystick to move the units on the battlefield After that I didn't really touched wargames until I played Steel Panthers and Across the Rhine. The #1 wargame that I love very much and I can't live without is Close Combat 1 from Atomic Games. Wrote about 4 editors: Map Editor, Scenario Editor, LOS generator, campaign progress editor. I even learned how to crack games just so I can remove the CD check from the executable so I can run the game from HD on Win XP so that I can use my own custom campaigns :)

Peter

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 22
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 4:52:32 PM   
Caranorn

To date I have only lost 1 game (Kingmaker in the original English version, by brotehr lent it to a colleague at work and lost touch with the guy). My brother did sell or trade a few games too. But otherwise our double collection is now entirely in my hands (he died a few years ago). So I now have several hundred wargames from the late 1970's till the late 1990's (only bought one board game recently as I'm entirely broke these days). That's not counting magazine games like Command, S&T etc.

And of course I have a bunch of duplicates as this started out as two collections (Longest day twice, Pacific war twice, Squad Leader series twice etc.).

And yes, I also made up rules to play with Plastic figurines. But I only did that years after starting to play board wargames. I tried to lure my sister's kids to the hobby that way (did not work:-). On the other hand, I created my own Panzer Blitz/Leader, Squad Leader and other game counters, maps and materials from the start (A Squad Leader module for North Africa all hand drawn;-).

Sadly I haven't played a board wargame for a while now (exception a medieval skirmish game for which I also produced add on material for internet distribution the past few years). I neither have the room (probably because all my games boxes are already stacked on the big tables along with history books etc.) nor the inclination to spend that much time these days.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: First computer wargame was Utah Beach by Atomic Games (I got into computers pretty late).

Post #: 23
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:11:18 PM   
Sardaukar

First board wargame was Squad Leader, I think. Been long time ago .

First comp game was some SSI one on C-64 Commodore...about Normandy invasion...followed by Knights of the Desert. That was definitely what Oliver Heindorf played too ...hard to forget those supply depots . The one situated into Normandy was also same series.

Most enjoyable boardgame was Imperium Romanum II, but I had few chances to play it...oh why hasn't someone turned that into computer game. Rome: Total War and Europa Universalis II are not quite into it's class.

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 24
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:19:32 PM   
MadmanRick

My first (board) wargame was War At Sea by Avalon Hill round about 1974. Still have that sucker around here someplace too! Many, many more soon followed. I'll never forget the days (months?) of Carrier Strike...or Fortress Europa.... I think my fondest memory though was when a friend and I combined ALL the Fleet games into one and tried to game that monster! Talk about a logistical nightmare...but such FUN

My first computer wargame was the original Harpoon on 5 1/4 floppies. From the moment I booted that sucker up I was HOOKED! Since that time I've upgraded my hardware 7 or 8 times, just to play games....guess I qualify as a real geek!

Rick

< Message edited by MadmanRick -- 9/16/2004 10:21:53 PM >

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 25
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:30:28 PM   
Mike Scholl

AH's "GETTYSBURG" in 1959-60. Played it until the counters were literally worn out.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 26
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:34:41 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 27
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:45:15 PM   
Sabre21

Well I guess toy soldiers, Risk, and Stratego don't really count:) considering I had been playing with the former since I was knee high to a grasshopper. As for a real bonafied board wargame, I reckon the first I tried was a WWI type. I think it was called Guns of August or 1914 or something like that. It was back in the mid sixties. It was a bit more than I could handle at the time, shooting real guns was a bit more entertaining then..hehe.

I still have a closet full of the things..like Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, Pacific War, Empire at Arms, Flattop, Fire in the East, 3rd Reich..oh and of course Star Fleet battles (trekkie). I don't want to even think about all the great boardgames I have lost or gave away and as for computer wargames..there's a couple hundred of them too and that collection is still growing thanks to Matrix.

Sabre

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 28
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:52:47 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Mine was from SPI's S&T #29 dated Nov 1971. USN and I've been hooked ever since, especially with the war in the pacific. The designer was Jim Dunnigan and I still have it. Wild horses wouldn't make me part with.

(However for a considerable number of pennies I might consider it)
Beat you by one: I had S&T 28 - "Lost Battles".
But before that I played miniatures for several years. Donald Featherstone's "Wargames" and "Naval Wargames" were my first books on the subject, my friends and I campaigned through three summers using them - with additions, amendments and deltetions of our own, of course!

Someone else mentioned SPI's "War in Europe" - did you know it was computerised? CWIE, published by Decision Games. It may be available as abandonware now.

Edit: Probably not: It's still being advertised on their site:
http://decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

Steve.

< Message edited by steveh11Matrix -- 9/16/2004 4:15:10 PM >

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 29
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/16/2004 5:53:15 PM   
tanker4145

That would be AH's Battle of the Bulge in the late 80's. My parents got it for me for X-mas since I was so interested in everything war related. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when I got it. Actually, it may have been more like 5th or 6th grade now that I think about it. Never got to play it against another person, but played it solitaire a lot.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What was your first wargame? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI