Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Repair and Maintenance...the not so glam side of war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Repair and Maintenance...the not so glam side of war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repair and Maintenance...the not so glam side of war - 5/19/2001 8:09:00 AM   
norsemanjs

An area which I've found in my personal experience as a refinery manager that is vital is the repair and maintenance of equipment. The ability of resourceful experienced people is invaluable. The factors of resourcefulness and experience allowed pilots to fly planes when they should have been grounded and sailors to put to sea when it should not have been possible. I hope that there will be a way to model the ability of units to gain experience and put their units back into the fight quicker than inexperienced units. America's cactus air force on Guadalcanal is a great example of how the mechanics and technicians kept their planes flying at times when supplies were short and conditions abominable. I'm sure their are similar examples on the Japanese side. The work of dockyards also did some amazing things at times, everyone is probably aware of the Yorktown's frantic repair job before Midway. I believe some of the Austrailian ports also did some pretty amazing repair turn arounds early in the war. Will dockyards build experience? WIll airgroups and ships with experience have a higher rate of available equipment? I don't want this game to get bogged down in too many details....but it would be cool to include this. Norseman

Post #: 1
- 5/19/2001 8:36:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... Dockyards might have experience in WiP. I am not sure. We haven't decided. They do not, however, in Uncommon Valor. In Uncommon Valor, air groups and ships with more experience gain a number of advantages. A good CAG for airgroups or skipper for ships also helps, as does a good base commander and air group ground crew. Bye... Michael Wood ____________________________________________
quote:

Originally posted by Norseman: Will dockyards build experience? WIll airgroups and ships with experience have a higher rate of available equipment? I don't want this game to get bogged down in too many details....but it would be cool to include this. Norseman

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 2
- 6/1/2001 7:07:00 AM   
Greg Wilmoth

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Norseman: An area which I've found in my personal experience as a refinery manager that is vital is the repair and maintenance of equipment. The ability of resourceful experienced people is invaluable. Did you know that Maxis once did a "sim-refinery" game? It was done under contract to Chevron and never released to the public. I don't know if went to Electronic Arts or separated with the spin-off they did a year or two earlier. (I can't recall the spin-off name.)

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 3
- 6/4/2001 9:10:00 AM   
norsemanjs

Greg: A refinery sim. I'd be very curious as to how well it mimics real life. Running a refinery or any production facility is a lot like a game sometimes. The only problem is you can't afford mistakes, since you can't save it and try it a different way next time. Norseman

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 4
- 6/26/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Howling H R Bryars

quote:

Originally posted by Norseman: ...America's cactus air force on Guadalcanal is a great example of how the mechanics and technicians kept their planes flying at times when supplies were short and conditions abominable...
PMFJIB.. For even more hair-raising accounts, check out "The Ragged, Rugged Warriors" by Martin Caidin. It is currently out of print but you can find a used copy or maybe find one at your local library. This fascinating book chronicles the Pacific War in the Air from prewar events up through about 10 AM on June 4th, 1942. In other words, it covers that brutal period of the war when the issue was very much in doubt. It is a fascinating read, and will give you a real appreciation for what the Allies were up against- and in particular the high cost of not being prepared for war... :(

HRB3

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Repair and Maintenance...the not so glam side of war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI