Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply - Barges Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Supply - Barges Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply - Barges Question - 9/17/2004 11:58:13 AM   
scout1

I've recently got this game and enjoy it to death, even though I only understand
1% of it. Like any other game, I dove right in. Now I'm at the point where it's time
to start understanding the various details/subtlies. The supply system has me
stumped somewhat. Specifically the barge system.

Conceptually, I can load a TF with supplies and transport from pt A to point B and unload.
The barge system is specific to a couple locations/HQ's. Just what is it conceptually doing other than the above and what is its advantage ? Is it some sort of means for the player to establish a "standard supply route/TF" where the AI manges it so I don't have to creat every single TF, or is it something completely different ?
Post #: 1
RE: Supply - Barges Question - 9/17/2004 1:58:01 PM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

I've recently got this game and enjoy it to death, even though I only understand
1% of it. Like any other game, I dove right in. Now I'm at the point where it's time
to start understanding the various details/subtlies. The supply system has me
stumped somewhat. Specifically the barge system.

Conceptually, I can load a TF with supplies and transport from pt A to point B and unload.
The barge system is specific to a couple locations/HQ's. Just what is it conceptually doing other than the above and what is its advantage ? Is it some sort of means for the player to establish a "standard supply route/TF" where the AI manges it so I don't have to creat every single TF, or is it something completely different ?

1: You can run barges to and from any base you like as long as they are in range. Barge hubs and hq's don't really have any effect on how you use them.
2: Unlike WITP there is not auto convoy system in UV so you will have to creat each transport tf indivdually. But you can set up computer controlled transport tf's to run supplied reguarly to base in safe areas. You can do this with bardges and transports.
Best to use brages at the front line to support smaller bases as they are cheap to produce and it doesn't matter so much if you loose them.

Be aware of sending barges in to LBA range especially fighter bombers as they will make mince meat out of them in fairly short order. When set to fly at 100ft they will strafe and bomb the hell out of them. P39/P400 are especially good at this.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply - Barges Question - 9/17/2004 6:58:38 PM   
Scona

One trick I am using when running barges into areas covered by fighter bomber sweeps is to create single barge convoys, the idea being that 5 single barge groups make less of a vulnerable target than all 5 barges together. With luck the P39s go after only one TF and leave the other 4 to deliver the supplies. Trying to keep IJA units in supply in the New Guinea theatre forces you to adopt all kinds of sneaky tactics.

"Everything else being equal, the army with the best looking uniforms usually losses." Murphy's law of military history.

(in reply to Bobthehatchit)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply - Barges Question - 9/18/2004 10:07:49 AM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scona

One trick I am using when running barges into areas covered by fighter bomber sweeps is to create single barge convoys, the idea being that 5 single barge groups make less of a vulnerable target than all 5 barges together. With luck the P39s go after only one TF and leave the other 4 to deliver the supplies. Trying to keep IJA units in supply in the New Guinea theatre forces you to adopt all kinds of sneaky tactics.

That trick also works with single ship transport tfs, lba generally won't other get out of bed to hit a single ak/ap. Alittle gamey but some times useful.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to Scona)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply - Barges Question - 9/20/2004 10:20:46 AM   
mapie500

You can fight your war without worrying much about barges (at least if you're American!). Their capacity is so small. Might be critical in some situations. Much easer to send a transport or two.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply - Barges and attacking them - 9/29/2004 6:49:08 PM   
john martino

guys I have noticed that although I have LBA and CV forges within a hex or two from barge groups (in open water) rarely if ever do the air groups strike these formations. It is very fustrating! How do I cut up this barges with Air groups. Do I set fighters on sweeps? It will not let me target an enemy task force so how do I hit the barges with air power do I set my fighters at 100 ft and sent them on a Naval attack mission setting? Like I said many of these barges are just sailing next to hexes that contain major fleet elements and they mostly go untouched

< Message edited by john martino -- 9/29/2004 11:51:46 AM >

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply - Barges and attacking them - 9/30/2004 3:10:01 AM   
Scona

Some ways to kill barges.

1) Fighter bombers, set to 100 feet altitude and flying naval attack missions. P 39s and 400s, and the RAAF Beaufighter are all built for this job.

2) Surface forces set to "react to enemy"; these should be "light" forces like DDs or PT boats. In the case of the PTs, you might actually get a real surface battle going if one of the barges is carrying a decent sized AA gun.

"Everything else being equal, the army with the best looking uniforms usually losses." Murphy's law of military history.

(in reply to john martino)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply - Barges and attacking them - 9/30/2004 4:02:23 AM   
CMDRMCTOAST

also B25's set to 100 feet with over 60% experience levels will tear them up,
put a sub or two in the paths of them and they will take them out with there
deck guns although the barges sometimes fight back.

The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Scona)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Supply - Barges Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI