Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How is the AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> How is the AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How is the AI? - 9/24/2004 10:48:09 PM   
Huskalator

I was incredibly dissapointed with the AI in KP. Since I mostly play single player I was wondering if the AI in BiN was any good?

I cannot justify a purchase of this game without a competent AI.

SW Episode 2:Good movie, bad love story

Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
Post #: 1
RE: How is the AI? - 9/24/2004 11:46:45 PM   
Black Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deep Breakfast

I was incredibly dissapointed with the AI in KP. Since I mostly play single player I was wondering if the AI in BiN was any good?

I cannot justify a purchase of this game without a competent AI.

See my comments and others folks at the Offical Forum BIN at:

http://www.ssg.com.au/

I`m no Fanboy but I will say that it is the best wargame AI I have played against and as the Allies, on my 5th. restart, it`s wiping the floor with me.

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 2
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 12:04:43 AM   
RobertRasmussen

Hello

I've played the Overlord scenario four times now - two as Allied and two as Germans at normal difficulty level - with overwhelming victories in all four and I'm not a very good player. So don't expect too much opposition.

On the other it must be said that the AI handled its forces reasonably well and far better than in KP. And in all other computer strategy games I've played for that matter. Its biggest problem as the Germans was its units getting out of supply and unable to retreat due to Allied air interdiction. It played better as Allies where the numerical superiority makes more room for the sort of odds maximizing/number crunching in which a computer excels. And it is VERY capable of using weaknesses in your lines for some vicious attacks.

So all in all: Don't expect the AI to beat you - at least not on the normal difficulty level - but you can look forward to some pretty intense games where you can't let your guard down too much. And that is a big step forward concerning AIs in strategy games.

Robert

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 3
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 6:06:12 AM   
Pustov

The AI is very good in this game...better than KP and most other wargames...But It still needs some work.
I found out the best way to fight against the AI ..is to not use the AI.? What I mean about this is...I do not used the combat adviser or anything else but my brains. And sometimes my brain fails me and the AI will come up with some very good moves that I never saw. One of biggest problem with the AI I think is that most if not all of the scenario are for PBEM. In my last game that I just played I had an overwhelming victory...But the AI could have easily....and I mean very easily... could have hit me down to a marginal or draw victory on the normal setting if it would have just taken two objectives Carourg & Dives that had nothing in front of them for over five turns tell the end of the game... take this as a cheat... the best way to defend Carourg & Dives is to not defend them and do not let your units retreat to them for they may fall by accident.

Hope this helps
Sorry for the bad English.

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 4
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 6:46:53 AM   
2gaulle

for Chess a "Deep Blue", a super calculator, is necessary to beat an human and Chess is only 8*8 sqare.

Now the Ai for Bin is realy superior than in KP, specialy in attack.
but if you want real fun fight again other human opponent

< Message edited by 2gaulle -- 9/25/2004 4:53:06 AM >

(in reply to Pustov)
Post #: 5
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 6:57:07 AM   
2gaulle

quote:

In my last game that I just played I had an overwhelming victory...But the AI could have easily....and I mean very easily... could have hit me down to a marginal or draw victory on the normal setting if it would have just taken two objectives Carourg & Dives that had nothing in front of them for over five turns tell the end of the game.

but Cabourg and Dives means +20 german units, don't know if i's good compare to 200vp

< Message edited by 2gaulle -- 9/25/2004 4:57:48 AM >

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 6
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 7:27:01 AM   
benpark

I find the AI a good opponent. I think it is the best AI programming yet in a hardcore, boardgame style wargame. Live Pustov, I do not use the combat advisor. I don't particularly care about winning, or the "score"-I'm probably in the very small minority here, but I just don't. I am more interested in objectives that come up as the game plays out. Obviously the big ones like Carentan matter, but I treat the game like a really great time machine...

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 7
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 9:09:12 AM   
Pustov

quote:

but Cabourg and Dives means +20 german units, don't know if i's good compare to 200vp

Yes.. that's right.....And exactly what I thought of also...But you got to look at it this way...if the allies have taken it five turns before the end of the game I would be -200 points for me and the Allies would get 200 points.... + 25 points for each town for every game turn for five turns, which is about another 250 points. That's a 650 point different in the final score and a marginal victory or draw for me. Instead of an overwhelming victory.. Actually the AI is better than I thought it would be... it killed... and almost destroyed most my right flank. If the game just went on a little bit longer????

< Message edited by Pustov -- 9/25/2004 7:15:11 AM >

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 8
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 10:21:41 AM   
Bertram

The AI is ok, with the limitations on the most AI's in this kind of game.

For a large part the AI depends on scenario designer choices, like how to cut up the battlefield, how to assign goals to the AI, setting the AI to aggressive or defensive, and what triggers change things.

The deisgner sets these things with an overall idea in mind how the attacker is going to behave, and tries to catch as much variants as possible. But if you do something odd, the AI might react odd to. If you send all your units to one side of the fornt, the AI might exploit it by atacking the other side. But it might also ignore the wealkness, as the designer never imagined that you would do something that stupid, and didn't program the AI for it.

So, if you stick to more or less historical options (you don't have to follow history, but you should not do anything they would not have done in real life) the aI shuold do ok. If you do weird things, the AI might do weird things to.

Bertram

(in reply to Pustov)
Post #: 9
RE: How is the AI? - 9/25/2004 10:55:20 AM   
Pustov

Well ...there was this one turn.... were the AI was so brilliant.. and I can't say what it was...but I hope I don't see it to much..because It just ripe thru my lines like nothing and killed a lot of my support units and encircle Caen and then killed all my units in Caen in the next few turns. but it never went for the objectives ( Carourg & Dives ).???

(in reply to Bertram)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> How is the AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI