Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it just me or.... (busy graphics)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) - 10/2/2004 3:31:31 AM   
Sturmpanzer

Ok I own WAY too many computer wargames and I finally broke down and paid too much for KP. (had been looking for the price to come down and it isnt!) On starting it up I noticed the ingame graphics are WAY too busy. It actually gives me eye strain looking at the game. I have tried all different resolutions @ 75Hz and up. Is it just me? As an example off the top of my head I dont remember TOAW or West Front or (insert any other turn based wargame I can think of here) ever causing me a problem. I hate to say it but I bought squad assault and felt a little ripped off. I dropped $40 for this title and the gameplay and depth seems great(still reading manual) but something seems overdone about the graphics that hurts my eyes.

Is this just me? Perhaps its all the details, and the different unit insignias but it is bothering me. The screenshots always bothered me a bit, but for some reason I didnt think it could be as cluttered as it looked.

I play board wargames from ASL to Paths of Glory (etc.) and no matter how much stuff is cluttered on the board, or HUGE TOAW scenarios on computer etc., I can always easily discern what is what and who is who without all the background noise distracting my eyes.

I dont see any obvious posts about this and since I last was checked with 20/20 vision, perhaps I am losing it!!

Dont get me wrong, everything esle seems awesome I just wonder if anyone else thinks this? I havent tried 640x480 but I dont see any recommended resolutions (unless it forces one) in the manuals. In particular I am talking about the map, not all the other data tables/etc.

Stormy

ps: It kind of reminds me of the hard to see squads in jungles/woods in SPWAW kind of eye strain. Of course you can see a men# but it still is "messy".
Post #: 1
RE: Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) - 10/2/2004 3:41:15 AM   
Sturmpanzer

I dont mean to say the graphics arent well done (they are great!), just a little cluttered looking.

Any hints or suggestions? I have a good trinitron 21" monitor.

I noticed Alt does a Zoom and that helps avoid all the other distraction when looking at a single small area

s

(in reply to Sturmpanzer)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) - 10/3/2004 3:53:36 PM   
JSS

Stormy,

Don't have the problem you describe. Actually find the game MUCH easier to track when compared with TOAW. Units are distinctive by type & division graphics make one panzer division easy to distinguish from another.

Couple of suggestions for you:

1. If you don't have it already, get a copy of hotkey quick reference from Run5 files section.

e (strongpoints), i (town indicators), m (minefields), and u (units) toggle on and off graphics. Sometimes this helps to view map only when planning strategy. Air interdictions & partisans are the only graphics you cannot toggle on/off. These toggles can also be done from the selections menu.

2. Download Rommel Master of Battle & Trouble in Bastogne scenarios from Run5 scenarios section. These scenarios have the least busy maps I know of. Rommel scenario is PBEM only (no AI).

JSS

< Message edited by JSS -- 10/3/2004 9:54:30 PM >

(in reply to Sturmpanzer)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) - 10/3/2004 5:13:43 PM   
Kevinugly

I remember when KP came out there was a 'discussion' on the garish nature of the graphics. I think we've all gotten used to it now but at the time ...........

I'm using a 17" TFT screen at the moment and I do find there are several games that I have to use a different preset 'light view' on account of the nature of the image. Sturmy I can only suggest 'mucking about' with your monitor settings if it has the facility to store different ones.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) - 10/8/2004 9:22:21 PM   
Sturmpanzer

Thanks for the feedback and help. I had some friends take a look at the game (we all play computer wargames) and they agreed that the graphics were a little hard on the eyes. I think a more faded (less bright) map terrain would help a little bit. Even after toggling things off.

Again thanks for the help and I will still try and tinker.

Stormy

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Is it just me or.... (busy graphics) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI