Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> PBEM ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM ? - 10/9/2004 11:08:25 AM   
toddt

My wife and I became addicted to PBEM (well, at least _I_ did) with Korsun Pocket. However, the immersion factor just isn't there in KP for Monique--she doens't like the counters, or the maps...loves max details on the tanks, guns, etc, a la Panzer General...but I digress.

We are looking at some other options for PBEM.

Why?

PBEM is awesome. With microsoft Outlook, you can use advanced rules techniques that automatically copy your PBEM attatchments to their target directories AND kick off the game AS SOON as you receive the email. The thing is, you run your turn, then automail it and the game goes away. You work some more, and soon, the game pops open again, automatically, beckoning you for more stratigic genius.

At most businesses, LAN games are impossible, because of firewalls--this is true of mine, too. Plus, during working hours, who has time to pay attention to when someone finishes their turn? Your game popping open, on the other hand, is a wonderful present you receive several times a day! Anyway, the firewall prevents lan games, but the email always gets through. :)

So, the relavent conundrum--does the shipping version of tin soldiers have PBEM?

(btw, love KP myself--the only thing preventing me from buying BiN is the OUTLANDISH prices being asked. :^o . I'm not poor, but 60 bucks for a digital download? I'm having trouble with that just on principle).
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM ? - 10/9/2004 1:22:51 PM   
Marathon

Look up and you will see a new Alexander Opponents Wanted forum.

Edit: Head-to-head play is available now but PBEM is not. Koios said they were working on it here...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=648272&key=pbem

< Message edited by Marathon -- 10/9/2004 7:02:20 AM >

(in reply to toddt)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM ? - 10/9/2004 3:19:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Todd, Marathon,

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great does not support PBEM mainly because of the style of the system. The multiple possible mid-turn reactions mean that you could potentially send a file back and forth 6-7 times for a single turn if there are reactions in every phase. The head to head support is a lot of fun and because it's turn-based, if you want you can minimize it for a little while, just as long as you pull it back up before the timer for your orders expires (10-15 minutes, IIRC).

I hear what you're saying about PBEM - the way you've set it up is great, I think very few of our customers have actually done that. Perhaps you could post an FAQ in the Tech Support for Gamers section? I'm sure others would be interested in having similar PBEM ease. With regard to the auto-launch though, some folks might find that a problem at work.

The internet head to head mode is a great way to play Alexander the Great and I rarely found myself waiting for my opponent's turn. You may find someone who's unusually slow, but generally you won't be waiting for long if you're waiting at all.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Marathon)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM ? - 10/9/2004 3:58:03 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I hear what you're saying about PBEM - the way you've set it up is great, I think very few of our customers have actually done that. Perhaps you could post an FAQ in the Tech Support for Gamers section? I'm sure others would be interested in having similar PBEM ease.

I'll second that... it sounds a really smart way to set things up but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

I'm not sure what's happening with PBEM. Koios certainly said they had decided to work on it, but I don't recall having heard anything since. I don't know whether it's still planned for a patch, whether it's planned for the next game, or if it's been dropped altogether.

Erik is right in that the game is probably better suited to internet play, though. It is very fast paced, and with turns being simultaneous (and those being split into three phases) rather than IGOUGO each player is "active" pretty much all of the time.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM ? - 10/10/2004 4:53:55 AM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
I'm not sure what's happening with PBEM. Koios certainly said they had decided to work on it, but I don't recall having heard anything since. I don't know whether it's still planned for a patch, whether it's planned for the next game, or if it's been dropped altogether.

All,

Based on feedback that we received from testers and discussing it internally and with Matrix, we decided that PBEM would be likely be more frustrating that fun for many players. Once we have more folks who have the game that can provide feedback, we are always willing to consider it. However, there are currently no plans to support it.

Deride

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM ? - 10/10/2004 7:15:42 AM   
toddt

Ah, 0kay. Well, that answer's that, thanks!

On the suggestions for posting how to automate your mail in outlook, hey, I'd be glad to post it. It's not that hard--just one shareware thing and some menu clicking, and booyah.

Thanks for the help!

(in reply to toddt)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> PBEM ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI