Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A good book?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A good book? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A good book? - 1/22/2002 11:22:00 PM   
elmo3

Can anyone recommend a good book that covers the battles depicted in UV? One possibility might be William McGee's The Solomons Campaigns 1942-43 which looks like it covers everything after Coral Sea. Thanks.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Post #: 1
- 1/23/2002 8:58:00 AM   
Jason629

I would strongly reccomend "Guadalcanal-The definitive account of the landmark battle" by Richard B. Frank. Although it is a bit specific compared to the game scope, I think it would provide a great deal of context and understanding for the game.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 2
- 1/23/2002 9:23:00 AM   
RayM

Excellent question. As with anything, I guess it depends on what interests you. Without knowing that, I can suggest a number of books (no particular ranking but they do cover a variety of topics/areas): * Destroyer Squadron 23: Combat Exploits of Arleigh Burke's Gallant Force, Ken Jones
* US Army in WWII Series: Victory in Papua, Samuel Milner
* US Army in WWII Series: CARTWHEEL - The Reduction of Rabaul, John Miller
* US Army in WWII: Guadalcanal - The First Offensive
* The Shame of Savo, Bruce Loxton w/Chris Coulthard-Clark
* Disaster in the Pacific - New Light on the Battle of Savo Island, Denis and Peggy Warner w/ Sadao Seno
* A Battle History of The Imperial Japanese Navy, Paul S. Dull
* The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, James W. Grace
* The Battle of Cape Esperance, Charles Cook
* The Battle of Tassafaronga, Capt. (Ret) Rusell Crenshaw
* Guadalcanal: Starvation Island, Eric Hammel
* Guadalcanal: The Carrier Battles, Eric Hammel
* Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea, Eric Hammel
* Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account, Richard B. Frank (my personal favorite on the subject)
* Into the Shadows Furious : The Brutal Battle for New Georgia, Brian Altobello
* No Bended Knee: The Battle for Guadalcanal, Gen. Merrill B. Twining, USMC
* Guadalcanal, Edwin P. Hoyt
* The Glory of the Solomons, Edwin P. Hoyt (A good 1 volume of campaign up the chain after Guadalcanal)
* Savo, Richard Newcomb
* Bloody Ridge: The Battle that Saved Guadalcanal, Michael S. Smith
* South Pacific Destroyer: The Battle for the Solomons from Savo Island to Vella Gulf, Russell S. Crenshaw Jr.
* The Battle of Guadalcanal, Samuel B. Griffith
* Once A Marine, Gen. A. Vandergrift * Serveal volumes from S. E. Morison's series (although I don't own any of the series yet) Lord knows, there are hundreds more. Good luck! RayM

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 3
- 1/23/2002 9:37:00 AM   
elmo3

Thanks very much for the help guys.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
- 1/23/2002 7:36:00 PM   
Supervisor

Elmo3 Here are some more titles for the New Guinea Campaign. The first two are from the Australian Army history history series. For reference they are quite different in style to the US army series. The US army series tend to take a top down approach and rarely go below battalion level in detail. The Australian histories tend to describe more of the individual battles, and tend to take a bottom up approach and can start at squad level with the heroic actions of individuals being noted. The Australian books also tend to give quite a good background summary before diving into any particular battle. They are also well sourced, referencing both American and Japanese works. Titles to look out for:
Dudley McCarthy - South-West Pacific Area First Year. Kokoda to Wau
David Dexter - The New Guinea Offensives 1st book covers Dec 41 - Feb 43.
2nd book covers Feb 43 - Feb 44. For a more general look Peter Brune is quite good. He describes the setting for a couple of select battles, the generals involved, the rationale behind their decisions. He then goes into a detailed description of the layout of the battle field and the battle fought.
Two examples are:
Those Ragged Bloody Heroes (Kokoda to Gona)
The Spell Broken (Milne Bay, Buna, Sanananda) You may want to try the Australian War Memorial shop (http://www.awm.gov.au/shop/) to see if they have any of these in stock. It would be best to email them as the electronic catalogue only lists some of their books! Good Luck, Mike

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 5
- 1/23/2002 8:11:00 PM   
elmo3

Mike Thanks to you also. Looks like I'll have plenty of reading to keep me busy while I wait for the game. elmo3

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
- 1/24/2002 5:05:00 PM   
USSMaine

Jack Greene had a book that covered the Guadalcanal campaign. Unfortunately I haven't seen a copy of this book since the 70s when I moved from northern Maine.....and I haven't been able to find it online yet......kinda light on the subject but some of the charts and diagrams were great. A good intro book in my opinion.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 7
- 1/24/2002 8:09:00 PM   
Supervisor

The US Army Official Histories have excellent maps. You find them folded up in the back! Well worth picking up!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 8
- 1/30/2002 2:03:00 AM   
Von Rom

I would highly recommend John Toland's "But Not in Shame". I have read a lot of books, but this one has to be the most readable, emotional, and finest book done on the first six months of the Pacific War, that I have ever had the pleasure to read It is no longer in print, but it can be found at many used book stores. If you can find this gem of a book, grab it. Why they don't re-release this book is beyond me.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 9
- 1/30/2002 2:34:00 AM   
elmo3

I'm currently reading Frank's Guadalcanal which I got at the library after a couple of guys recommended it. Also bought McGee's The Solomons Campaigns 1942-43. It covers the fighting from Guadalcanal all the way to Bougainville. First impression after just a quick scan is positive. Plenty of maps and detailed OOB's. Saw a copy of Dudley McCarthy's book for sale online for a mere $304! At that price I have enough reading material for now assuming UV comes out in the next few months. elmo3 [ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: elmo3 ]

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 10
- 1/30/2002 5:09:00 AM   
USSMaine

John Toland's "Rising Sun" was also an excellent read and offers a different viewpoint than much of what I have read but then most of my reading on the topic was in the 70s and early 80s. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points, but they sure are though provoking.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 11
- 2/4/2002 3:46:00 AM   
Paul Dyer

If you're after a concise one volume read I'd recommend Edwin P. Hoyt's "The Glory of the Solomons". There are copious volumes on Guadacanal from Aug 42-Feb 43. This book starts as the Japanese evacuate Guadacanal and covers the rest of the Solomons through 1943, ending in early '44 with the chain back in American hands and Rabaul isolated. Read it and you'll have a good feel for the growing American superiority, the frittering away of the Japanese naval air assets by basing thm on land in a vain attempt to stem the tide, and the rising through the ranks of a new breed of US leader who were warriors rather than peacetime commanders (men like Burke and Merrill). Probably out of print by now. I was lucky enough to find a copy in a discount bin a few years back.

"It is also possible that blondes prefer gentlemen"

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 12
- 2/6/2002 10:35:00 AM   
Jason629

Another good read is Lords "Lonely Vigil". Its all about coastwatchers in the Solomons. A great read and good detail about this relatively obscure but interesting topic. A must for IJN and pac war lovers.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 13
- 2/6/2002 12:57:00 PM   
Reg

Here are two more books which I feel are essential reading to fill in important gaps usually left by most historians. Action Stations Coral Sea
The Australian Commanders Story.
Chris Coulthard-Clark, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, 1991, ISBN 0 04 442251 2 It is not well known that a major portion of the Allied force (including US and Australian major surface units) present at this battle were under the command of the senior sea-going commander serving with the Royal Australian Navy, Rear-Admiral J.G. Crace. This book deals with the non-carrier aspects of this encounter that have long been neglected by historians. The Shame of Savo
Anatomy of a Naval Disaster
Bruce Loxton & Chris Coulthard-Clark, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, 1994, ISBN 1 86373 650 6 Commander Loxton, then a midshipman, was seriously wounded on the bridge of HMAS Canberra when that heavy cruiser was disabled during the opening stages of the battle. All thoughout his subsequent career (including being lectured at the United States War College on the subject), he encountered many myths and misunderstandings concerning this important naval action. His meticulous examination of American, Japanese and Australian records strips away layers of misinformation and half truths to point to the wider causes of the Allies defeat. Not everyone will be pleased by his conclusions. An excellent book and highly recommended. Hope you find these references useful.
Reg. [ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Reg ]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 14
- 2/6/2002 9:57:00 PM   
Philbill1

As a result of this thread I have just purchased Richard Franks Guadalcanal from Amazon.co.uk . I am enjoying the book which is detailed and gives the story from both the American and Japanese perspectives.
Phil

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 15
- 2/8/2002 7:30:00 AM   
11Bravo

quote:

Originally posted by Philbill1:
As a result of this thread I have just purchased Richard Franks Guadalcanal from Amazon.co.uk . I am enjoying the book which is detailed and gives the story from both the American and Japanese perspectives.
Phil

I found this book in my local library. Currently half way through it, and look forward to spending an hour with it each night. Even though this is a history, with a very detailed accounting of the events, it is not at all dry, with parts of it actually reading like an action adventure novel. Couldn't be more pleased. Also thanks to all above for posting such a good list. The history interests me so much, that I look forward to "writing" my own when I get this game.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 16
- 2/11/2002 1:50:00 PM   
Supervisor

Franks book is excellent; Morrison is good and the Army's official histories of the campaigns in the region are as well.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 17
- 2/18/2002 10:22:00 PM   
NWB

"Fire in the Sky" from Eric M. Bergerud This book gives a thorough understanding of how air war was fought in the South Pacific during WWII.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 18
More Books - 3/14/2002 6:56:59 AM   
Custer6

I too, am reading up on the campaign. I really enjoyed two book by Eric Bergerud:

Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific
Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific

Both made me think of this campaign in new ways. They challenged my perception and even changed it regarding this facet of the war. They are very good books.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A good book? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI