Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tell us where to go after EiA...???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tell us where to go after EiA...??? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 2:13:44 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

Imagine EiA out and done (LOL!) OK, sorry BUT humor me and tell me where you think this type of gaming system could be applied ... i.e. Franco - Prussian 1870s, American Revolution, World Diplomacy Game, Civil War, etc.

Think out-of-the-box here and tell me what your thoughts are past EiA with this type of gaming system...

Nothing is out-of-bounds so give it to me...

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 3:05:03 AM   
Windfire

American Civil War - Area movement, corps and leaders would all appear to adapt to the system. Diplomacy and the political system would be virtually nonexistant.

Period of Frederick the great - May need to modify attrition/supply/forage to captue the strong desire to capture enemy fortresses. May already be in your plans.

American Revolution - similar to French efforts in Spain. Would likely need to use a different scale as the forces involved were noticeably smaller.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 3:52:32 AM   
Hanal

Russian Civil War 1918-1921....area map would be suitable from Poland to Vladivostok.....Diplomatic model could be implemented as Reds and Whites attempt to contol various independent factions, such as Ukrainians....Russo-Polish War and Allied intervention...players could take the position of the Reds, Whites, Allies, Poland, Independents/Monarchists...various minor armies would include Czech, Japan, Finnnish, Ukrainians... peasant/cossack brigades....leaders to include: For Reds: Trosky, Lenin, Stalin, Tukhachevsky, Kalinin, Kamenev, Rykov, Zinoviev, Voroshilov and examples for the Whites would include: Wrangel, Yudenich, Kolchak, Denikin, Markov, Abramov, Rodzyanko....

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 3
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 3:58:52 AM   
pasternakski

Any PC rendering of the Russian Civil War should be based on the GMT card-driven system (on this subject, called "Reds!"), which is excellent. Remember that an entire century had passed after the Napoleonic era, and many things had changed.

How about War of 1812?

On this subject, I would like to see Matrix pursue a PC port contract with GMT for all of their very enjoyable games of this type (Paths of Glory, Napoleonic Wars, Wilderness War, and others).

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 5:00:34 AM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Any PC rendering of the Russian Civil War should be based on the GMT card-driven system (on this subject, called "Reds!"), which is excellent. Remember that an entire century had passed after the Napoleonic era, and many things had changed.

How about War of 1812?

On this subject, I would like to see Matrix pursue a PC port contract with GMT for all of their very enjoyable games of this type (Paths of Glory, Napoleonic Wars, Wilderness War, and others).

Granted, some things had changed, but based on the EoA game engine, I think a game based on the Russian Civil War is very doable....however, I do realize that the chances of a game actually being done on this subject is rather slim, since the more popular wars will have greater appeal to gamers....nothing wrong with spitting into the wind, so long as you duck!.....

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 10/11/2004 10:01:39 PM >

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 5
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 6:10:52 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
nothing wrong with spitting into the wind, so long as you duck!.....

Ha haa! Quack! Your idea is an excellent one, I think. When you get on eBay and look at what "Reds!" is going for (unpunched/shrinkwrapped at 3-4x original retail), I think there is room to believe that a solid computer game on the Russian revolution would cook up some sales.

How about an EiA-engine treatment of Jules Verne's "sci-fi" vision of the late 19th century world?

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 6
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 8:59:20 AM   
John Umber

Great northern war

Applied as a scenario for the original EiA.
Very doable, many nations and lot of space.
Sweden versus Denmark-Norway, Poland-Saxony and Russia.
At the same time in central-europe consession of the Habsburgs. England, France, Austria and Spain. War all over the place.

Habsburg civil war

Protestants versus Catholic
Sweden and protestants (northern germany) supported by France versus Austria and Spain.

Ottoman Empire

Building of the Ottoman Empire? Conquer the Byzans and all of north africa?

World war I and II

Should also be very doable. Cavalry exchanged for armor etc...

Shogun?

Different poltical groups.

Rome?

All those wars during 1000 years???
That would be nice and endless number of scenarios...

The list is almost endless.

John Umber

Post #: 7
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 10:24:13 AM   
speedo

I would suggest the period between 1900 and 1918
since the diplomatic possibilities are enourmous and the theater is mainly focused on europe

(in reply to John Umber)
Post #: 8
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 12:56:35 PM   
Forward_March

HI Marschall!
A brave man to open Pandora's Box, are you. To stay within the EIA "system", the combination of diplomacy, simplified combat, and political/economical manipulation can only apply to a few wars.

The periods of Louis XIV and Frederick the Great would be the most readily adaptable to the game system...not to mention the map wouldn't require much change...though what you might have to make of the Holy Roman Empire is too scary to contemplate.

Too many wars are too cut-and-dried...one side always versus another. War of 1812, Great Northern War, American Civil War...to name just a few. Sorry, Swedes. I'd love to have Karl XII in command...who wouldn't...but it's still just him against Peter the Great with a sad finale outside Kristiana.

Louis XIV and Frederick the Great both saw huge coalitions arrayed against them, and in the Prussian case, diplomacy could be quite...ahem...fluid. Most nations fielded some colorful and well-known leaders all the way from Marshalls de Saxe, and Broglie to the Duke of Cumberland...not to mention Old Fritz himself.

Those would be my two choices. Otherwise, you might as well begin re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks for the query, Marshall!

(in reply to speedo)
Post #: 9
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 1:14:29 PM   
Ozie

Taking the limitations of the combat and movement system I strongly suggest to stay within 1600 - 1850 period. This is to match the type of the battles, density of troops and overall gameabilty with EiA system. In short if put earlier than 1600 melee was the way of the battle and the system won't be good. If put after 1850 the armies got so huge no single battles solved the fight. So again the system won't be usefull.

But if you are going to make drastic changes to the game system you can do what ever period you see fit.

(in reply to Forward_March)
Post #: 10
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 3:06:54 PM   
Hoche

I think the EiA system will work well for any war from 1700 to 1872.
This time period includes.
War of Spanish succesion
Great Northren War.
War of Austrian Succesion
Seven Years War.
American Revolution
War of the French Revolution
Napoleonic Wars.
War of 1812
Crimean War
American Civil War.
Austro-Prussian War
Franco-Prussian War.

You have a lot to work with here. You could also include mods that include war in the colonies, India, North and South America Were theathers of conflict during these wars. This wouldn't work for play-by-email but you could try to create a Grand-Grand campaign in which you run your country from 1700 - 1872.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 11
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 3:14:33 PM   
gazfun

Myself and my buddies are doing 1700 to early 1800 using a playboard system as you may be of. But I think the system you have developed would be good for Any European of US historical from 1600 to 1800 as troops moved in the same fashion as they do in Napoleonic Times except for Cavalry Corps and Mass Artillery.

Post #: 12
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 5:53:44 PM   
Frank McNally

Two suggestions-

EiA should port very well to the period of the fist and second punic wars as described in Polybius. He divides the nations well by focusing on each location in turn (Greece, Eastern Med, and Western Med). I would make the player states Rome, Carthage, Ptolemic Egypt, and Syria, the Aetolians and the other Greek League (drawing a blank at the moment, they fought the Aetolians in this period and were based between Lacedaemia and Messenia). Macedonia could also be a player power. This scenario could allow for the political system to be little changed form EiA and battle chits will work well with slight modification. This period is also nice because of numerous small neutrals and shifting alliances between the majors.

The other suggestion is more of a stretch. The game Pax Britanica (old Victory games) would be a good thing to bring to the computer. It is quite different than EiA, simpler I expect, but the structure of your EiA program could possibly work with a fair amount of guts torn out.

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 13
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 6:48:42 PM   
shanebosky

Definitely the period from the beginning of Louis XIV's rule to the end of the Northern War and the death of Peter the Great.

(in reply to Frank McNally)
Post #: 14
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/12/2004 9:19:42 PM   
YohanTM2

The Roman Empire is in desperate need of a worthy strategic game. Combat and effects can be modified easily. Not sure why someone mentioned this as an issue.

The core system and economics should relatively easy to tweak.

Go for it!!

Post #: 15
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 2:08:10 AM   
CSSS

Marshall, I have an excellent idea, this would be a GREAT format for ROMAN times. I have an original copy of the ANNALS OF ROME, that I have keep all these years. I will send it to you grab a C-64 off ebay and see the miracle of how the two would meld together.
There is NO good work on Roman times as turn based at all. With the centuries of warefare , politics,econoics and intrigue your game system would not need much to create a smash hit. I have and have over 400+ games from the year 1984 to present. I am going to dump a lot on Ebay simply for lack of space. But as a very expirienced gamer (if not typist) This would be a very sound place to invest your talent!

< Message edited by CSS -- 10/13/2004 12:08:43 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 5:57:52 AM   
Windfire

Rome would be very interesting. Multiple eras, multiple possible scenarios, multiple possible sides, in some case multiple Roman factions in addition to other powers.

To give an idea of the breadth of the period, there is an old board game "Imperium Romanum II" that covers most of the era with 33 different scenarios with player numbers ranging from 2 to 6 depending on the scenario.

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 17
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 7:14:30 AM   
Pippin

quote:

To give an idea of the breadth of the period, there is an old board game "Imperium Romanum II" that covers most of the era with 33 different scenarios with player numbers ranging from 2 to 6 depending on the scenario.

Wow! I still have Imperium Romanum II in my drawer. Thought I was the only one on earth who owned the box...

This is almost a happy moment for me :P

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 18
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 8:31:23 AM   
Kyllyr

OMG, finally a topic that motivated me to register. I have been lurking here for over a year, waiting for the release of EiA.

Without looking at the true history of the various situations, any palce where you had multiple factions fighting for dominace would work. (Early China, Japan, Fuedal England or Europe, the Middle East etc)

Like someone said earlier, creating a fictional world and countries. You could market these senarios repeatedly.

Post #: 19
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 8:33:46 AM   
Kyllyr

Marshall, Does looking past the release of EiA indicate that the relase itself is imminent?

Post #: 20
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 12:38:32 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kyllyr

OMG, finally a topic that motivated me to register. I have been lurking here for over a year, waiting for the release of EiA.

Without looking at the true history of the ******* situations, any palce where you had multiple factions fighting for dominace would work. (Early China, Japan, Fuedal England or Europe, the Middle East etc)

Like someone said earlier, creating a fictional world and countries. You could market these senarios repeatedly.

Sort of like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms from KOEI huh?...brings to mind Ghengis Khan and Nobunaga's Ambition which were similiiar games as well....

(in reply to Kyllyr)
Post #: 21
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 1:06:51 PM   
Norden_slith

Also there were no corps at the time, the wars of the spanish succesion and the great nordic are pretty much perfect, as most countries are involved. All you really need is a interesting start and lots of knowledge of leaders and armies, which is readily available. A lot is already done for EiA there. I remember the combined Marlborough-Eugen counter - 5.5.7.!!

Going totally berserk, I still dream of the mediterranean at war even before Rome! There are many many scenarios there. *sigh* Seapeople, Egyptians, Greeks, Karthage, Rome....Usually, these periods are played in larger "timeunits" than months though.

I know, these examles are there, but saying it more then once seems to be a good idea...

Norden

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 22
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 1:09:50 PM   
Norden_slith

There was also talk about a fictional world, where each countries variables (location, size, corps-counters, income, moral, leaders, fleets, trade etc, etc) were auctioned off, so the starting position would be different each time...

Most historybuffs dismiss this out off hand, but fictional works have some powerful advantages. More then 7 players comes to mind...

Norden

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 23
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 6:01:00 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

First of all, unfortunately this posted query does not mean that EiA release is at hand! I'm just taking a few minutes to look ahead a bit and see where we could go after EiA. Metaphorically speaking, I'm getting ready to change lanes to turn left or right at the intersection!

Second, I like the Roman idea quite a bit and have not thought of this system in the Roman period ????????

Elaborate, if you would, on the following game types (Start date, turn length, number of players and the major nations):

Roman Game
American Revolution
American Civil War
Franco-Prussian
World Conquering (i.e. Advanced Risk)

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 24
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 6:40:50 PM   
Holz

Going back even farther than Rome, I think the warring Greek City states (Pelloponesian War, Persian Invasion, etc.) period would model well to EiA. You have two main powers (Athens~= Britain and Sparta~=France), one a dominant Naval power, one a dominant Land power. Lots of smaller states, some of which would also be playable, and large state on the Periphery (Persia~=Russia?), and a period of time where there was on-again, off-again wars, changing alliances, etc. Seems like it would be a good match. I once made up a map of the period to play diplomacy on, but it didn't feel quite right making all the powers equal. I think EiA is a very good system to model this time period. I'll have to work out what exact dates and turn length would work. Besides the 3 major powers already listed, perhaps Thebes, Macedon, and Argos could be playable powers.

Post #: 25
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 9:30:06 PM   
1LTRambo

Hey Marshall, what about extending EiA later in time? Lets say through the Crimean war, or mid 1800's.

Post #: 26
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 11:03:43 PM   
Norden_slith

What about the "30 years war". It's pretty much perfect for this kind of wargame with long peaceperiods in between.

Norden

Post #: 27
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/13/2004 11:06:35 PM   
Norden_slith

The wars of the Asyrians, Babylon, Egypt are a very interesting peroid as well.
Look at "Chariots of war" for inspiration....

Norden

Post #: 28
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/14/2004 12:09:28 AM   
Frank McNally

On time period for Rome-

Almost anytime up to the Third Punic War could be used to play a game with a flow like EiA, after this it would be 6 against 1. The periods before this will have atleast 2-4 strong powers, and reasonable smaller powers. You may be interested in checking out the new board game Sword of Rome for some insight here and/or Rise of the Roman Republic (the scenarios give an idea of the numerous min-wars that could come and go).

For Ancients it might make sense to increase the turn legth to 3 months, trouble is one could realistically have more than 1 battle in this time for the same army. I think leaving one month turns could be ok, perhaps movement could be constained by nasty forage effects for long moves without supply (roman units ought to be able to go 300-500 miles per month if supplied)

Post #: 29
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 10/14/2004 12:58:25 AM   
megalomania2003

In addition to the diplomatic game, tactical movement and combat system you should also place your game in a setting where, realistically, a total victory (like Jena&Auerstadt) would not result in the destruction/absorbtion of a Nation. EIA works around the fact that no one, as long as you are not playing Sweden, can be eliminated by ONE total victory.

(in reply to Frank McNally)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tell us where to go after EiA...??? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI