Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europa Universalis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Europa Universalis Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europa Universalis - 10/13/2004 10:36:00 PM   
1LTRambo

I remember in another thread somebody mentioned a game called Europa Universalis. Can anybody tell me about this game and whether it is a game worth getting?
Post #: 1
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/13/2004 11:00:27 PM   
Norden_slith

Hi,
There is even an EU2. It is a pretty complex realtimegame from Paradox, which has to be seen to be believed. It is most certainly worth getting.

http://www.napoleonguide.com/wargames_eu2.htm

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Norden

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 2
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 1:29:07 AM   
Ozie

EU2 is definetly worth looking into. I've spent countless hours playing it. It is a very good game and has a lot replayability.

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 2:25:20 AM   
Hanal

I found the real time game engine more managable and enjoyable in EU2 than in it's offspring HOI.....it's worth checking out and is probably at a bargain basement price now..................

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 4
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 6:09:11 AM   
philjones62

It is very big - more playable countries than I'd ever be inclined to try, very moddable and while real time, there is a monthly cycle overlaying it in the background.

A bit of a different scale from EIA.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 2:56:10 PM   
Ozie

EU2 is definetly better than HoI.

(in reply to philjones62)
Post #: 6
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 11:04:20 PM   
ktotwf

No matter what anyone tells you, I would put Starcraft and Europa Universalis II as the top two greatest strategy games ever. Europa Universalis is very, very, very, very good. I play it more than any computer game I have ever had.

The Napoleonic Scenario blows, but other than that it is a MUST HAVE to even think about calling yourself a strategy fan.

It is pretty much a strategy game where you take control of a country in 1419 and then play through as that country until 1820. You can pick anyone from France, to the Golden Horde, to Assam.

< Message edited by ktotwf -- 10/14/2004 9:05:07 PM >

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 7
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 11:49:12 PM   
Kikka

Why would you say the Nappy Scenario blows?
I was considering EUII until that comment.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 8
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/14/2004 11:54:45 PM   
ktotwf

No, you should still get it. The Napoleonic Scenario is a very, very minor part of the game.

It blows because the game engine is more modeled towards Late Medieval/ Pike and Shot kind of siege warfare than Early Modern Mobile Warfare, and the diplomatic engine of the game cannot handle most Napoleonic complexities.

But, the heart of the game is the Grand Campaign, in essence, the game goes 400 years, and the Napoleon scenario lasts about 20 years. Its not even as close to as big a deal as you may have originally thought.

But, if you don't get the game its your loss, not anyone elses.

(in reply to Kikka)
Post #: 9
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/15/2004 1:33:40 AM   
Ozie

Agreed. The Napoleonic period is a very minor part of EU2. The scenarios are not where the game shines it is the grand campaign. Everyone who likes strategy games should give it a try. Ofcourse it is not for everyone to love it but it has such a great potential you shouldn't miss is it altogether.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 10
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/17/2004 12:02:46 AM   
Sonny

EU II is definitely worth getting.

It is real-time (actually continuous-time) but it is not a clickfest.
You can start the game from 1419, or 1492 or several other later dates and play up to 1820.

If you are looking for the detail of the Napoleonic era (or any other era) you won't find it. But the feel of the different centuries is there.

There are tons of mods for the game and the game is easily moddable by normal folks like me (though some would dispute that I am normal).

I have certainly gotten my moneys worth several times over. At this late date you can find it pretty cheap - so it will be worth it.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 11
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/17/2004 7:31:39 PM   
Freddy Fudpucker

EU2 (and Victoria~ also by Paradox) are the best two games I own. I can't begin to fathom how many hours I've spent playing them. If you can't find EU2 I do believe it is included on the disc of one of their more recent games. I think its called two thrones and is a simplified version of EU2 for those who don't like micromanagement.

You'll find out more at their forum. there was a link in a post above.

btw
Does anyone know when EiA is going to be available?

< Message edited by Freddy Fudpucker -- 10/17/2004 5:32:12 PM >

Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. -Capt. E. Blackadder.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 12
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/17/2004 9:08:50 PM   
ancient doctor

EU2 is a really god game covering a period history with so many nations that nobody else does so good or at all.HOWEVER its wargame aspect its not in a good shape.Instead very simplistic and giving the players very few option will certainly discourage a fun of EiA war concept.However its almost excellent in all the other aspects including diplomacy/colonisation/events/industy etc so overall it is worthy.If you have played EiA board game and you pay more attention to the war and combats(beautifully made in the board game)then you will be disappointed.

(in reply to Freddy Fudpucker)
Post #: 13
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 2:14:54 AM   
Ozie

While EU2 is great same can't be said of some other Paradox titles. Victoria even with latest patches is still a mess. If you wont to divide your group of divisions you end up loosing the new parted group in to thin air if you didn't remember to push the pause button before doing it!!

How is that for a great feature!

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 14
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 2:46:19 AM   
ktotwf

quote:

While EU2 is great same can't be said of some other Paradox titles. Victoria even with latest patches is still a mess. If you wont to divide your group of divisions you end up loosing the new parted group in to thin air if you didn't remember to push the pause button before doing it!!

How is that for a great feature!

For the record, Victoria is an acquired taste. Crusader Kings is shaping up nicely, and HOI II is looking very very good.

Victoria is not for everybody, but it is not the mess you say it is. Its pretty stable at this point. The new patch (October 3rd) fixed a whole lot of problems that have plagued the game since day one.

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 15
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 4:10:09 AM   
Ozie

Hmmm... Let me check...

By your own accord:

- pretty stable year after the release and multitude of patches
- still with some of the same problems than the day 1

and with bugs like loosing your armies into thin air...

Seems like a mess to me.

And all of this without even getting into the economic system... *shudders*

But thats pretty much all I want to say about Victoria. Im sure some people like it. Because there are those too who like to be regularly whipped. I just like games that work.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 16
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 4:21:22 AM   
ktotwf

Well, you don't have to be a smartass.

But. the point is not that Victoria is "now stable after a year." Its that it is the most stable of all the Paradox Games, after only three patches. I don't know what you are whining about about armies disappearing, but it sounds to me like you are misunderstanding the Mobilization system.

< Message edited by ktotwf -- 10/18/2004 2:28:31 AM >

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 17
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 3:59:43 PM   
Ozie

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153737

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 18
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 5:35:39 PM   
ancient doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ktotwf

Well, you don't have to be a smartass.

But. the point is not that Victoria is "now stable after a year." Its that it is the most stable of all the Paradox Games, after only three patches. I don't know what you are whining about about armies disappearing, but it sounds to me like you are misunderstanding the Mobilization system.

Let my guess.You are a Paradox hard core fun right?Well in that case its not a surprise that this might blind the opinion you have about their games,especially Victoria which is good only because it is unique since the only game that can compare with her is the master piece Imperialism 1 which was made 10 years ago and still is a very nice and acceptable game for lots of hard core strategy funs,i honestly doupt that about the same for Victoria.Otherwise Victoria althought a very interesting concept is a very problematically made game for several reasons that everybody can find even in Paradox forums.Well not to difficult to guess why it went bad in sales.
A game isnt at all good only because it is stable 1 year after its release.Actually this is only a sign of how bad it can be.Seriously i cant imagine buy a game and wait a whole year in order to see it "stable".As far as reality is taken in concideration for that game?Well developers obviously dont know that word.Victoria in many aspects have nothing to do with Victorian era reality.
As i said before a great idea very badly implemented.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 19
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 6:17:56 PM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ozie

Well for starters, these people at this post are retarded.

1] Why the hell are you splitting forces while the game continues to do its calculations? Yes Victoria (and other Paradox games) should have an idiot feature and automatically pause the game while you do your thing, but then you get a more turn-based effect. Paradox has made it clear that many of these problems depend on how much memory you have and if you are playing the game on a trash computer, you get trash results unless you compensate for your lame set-up.

2] They don't even know WHY they see units in the "Arctic". Paradox list units being transported in "arctic" areas, but these people do not even know what they are moving? Real bright bunch there.

ktotwf's post discusses HOI2 looking good, but you get all of HOI2 by keeping your patches up on HOI1.

As for Ancient's post above, there was an Imp II, which still was inferior to Victoria. Victoria (and the other Paradox games) are flawed in several ways, but they are still fun and it is hard to beat the lure of taking over Siam throughout the ages and forming the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere before Japan can even conceive of it :)

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 20
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/18/2004 10:27:04 PM   
ancient doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ozie

As for Ancient's post above, there was an Imp II, which still was inferior to Victoria. Victoria (and the other Paradox games) are flawed in several ways, but they are still fun and it is hard to beat the lure of taking over Siam throughout the ages and forming the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere before Japan can even conceive of it :)

Well OBVIOUSLY you didnt saw that i mentioned ONLY Imp. 1 and for good reason.when it went in the market the game was a revolution on its own implementing excellent features,very nice play,combat map allowing you to play battles plus that it was stable form its release(something that unfortunatelly almost ALL Paradox game dont have)and many many more things which for the time back then(more than a decade)were never seen in this way till then in any similar strategy game.As about its in depth playability well people-lots of them-keep playing it,something which is true for most of SSI games.Imp 2 was an upgrade in some things(especially techs) but in general not what gamers expected after the miracle of Imp. 1 so it didnt make such a success.
Till then the only game working only for that period is Victoria and for the 10 and more years since Imp. 1 came,Vicky was a dissapointment for lots INCLUDING the Paradox funs for many reasons.
So as i said Victoria was and still is a good idea poorly and badly implemented unfortunatelly.If you want more detailed conversation about it i dont have a problem but it want change the fact about that game and the bad results it brought.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 21
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/19/2004 2:51:04 AM   
BoerWar

It's a fun game for awhile, but the AI is pretty stupid so once you figure out the game system you'll probably get bored with it soon after.

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 22
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/19/2004 5:55:19 PM   
toddtreadway

Speaking of Imperialism I & II, both of which I loved, I wonder if any developer is working on an updated version of them (Imperialism III?).

And (just curious) how is HOI2 going to be an improvement over HOI?

< Message edited by toddtreadway -- 10/19/2004 10:01:57 AM >

(in reply to BoerWar)
Post #: 23
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/21/2004 11:08:44 PM   
1LTRambo

Thank you all for the information on EU. I went out and purchased EUII as that was the only one available. I enjoy it quite a bit, even though I am still learning how to play it.

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 24
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/22/2004 4:32:45 AM   
EarlPembroke

I followed the original EU on its forum for quite some time before it came out (reminds me of following EiA, in fact). EU2 is better. It is very good, as some pointed out above. If it is too easy with a large Western nation (advances more quickly technologically), try playing as Tibet (you can play with the Pueblo Indians, if you like, but they don't get much in the way of technology or money, so that makes it fairly boring to me.

Anyway, great game - in my top 3 of all time (Imperialism 2, Darklands - RPG, and EU2). The fact you can mod & create your own scenarios is a big plus too. Want to make yourself a general in Napoleonic France? Fairly easy to do with a text editor. (I once created a scenario with my ancestors as Kings of Wales.) The strength of the game is not in part of history (like the Napoleonic Scenario), but in the grand sweep of the emergence of the West, exploration & colonization, Religion has an impact, alliances are done better than other games I've seen, etc. Latest beta patch was Sept 5, which is good considering it's been out for a couple years. The patches now are primarily enhancements as the game is stable. Victoria wasn't as good for me (it was too difficult to play as Texas!). I thought HOI was decent, and Crusader Kings is pretty good too (needs some tweaking that, if it follows the patterns of EU2 & has patches over time, could be even better).

Back to where I started. Now I'm waiting for EiA to come out, ,so I can go back to the EU boards and say: EU is a great game for the 400-year sweep of history, but if you want a great game focused on one time period, you have to try EiA.

< Message edited by EarlPembroke -- 10/21/2004 8:36:19 PM >

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 25
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/22/2004 6:04:57 PM   
fahdiz

Europa Universalis 2 is most certainly worth getting. It's one of the best non-hex-based historical computer games ever made.

I also recommend Crusader Kings with equal enthusiasm. I'd recommend Victoria, too, but it's rather an acquired taste. As for HoI - personally, I'd wait for HoI2.

< Message edited by fahdiz -- 10/22/2004 8:05:30 AM >

(in reply to EarlPembroke)
Post #: 26
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/26/2004 10:41:22 PM   
heychadwick

I've played EU1 a lot and have been thinking about it in the past few months. I tried to load it on my XP machine, but it won't work. I gave up, but am now thinking about getting EU2.

(in reply to fahdiz)
Post #: 27
RE: Europa Universalis - 10/27/2004 12:40:13 AM   
donkuchi19

quote:

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

Speaking of Imperialism I & II, both of which I loved, I wonder if any developer is working on an updated version of them (Imperialism III?).

And (just curious) how is HOI2 going to be an improvement over HOI?

Imperialism was one of my favorite games of all times. I loved that game. I was so disappointed when I upgraded my computer and could no longer play it because of a new operating system. (I had given my old computer away). I would love to find a version of it again that I could play on XP. (I lost my original disk).

I didn't care as much for IMP 2. I prefered the 1st one by far.

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 28
RE: Europa Universalis - 11/6/2004 4:33:38 PM   
1LTRambo

Again, Thanks for the feedback on EU. It is great. I am currently playing the Ukraine in the Fantasia. It's quite interesting. Another game I have wondered about is Sid Miers Colonization. That game was tremendous fun but was a Dos game. Has anyone considered updating that one?

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 29
RE: Europa Universalis - 11/8/2004 4:21:42 PM   
Hoplosternum

Well Colonisation works on my work and home XP machines and is still great I doubt there will be a remake although there were / are all kinds of shareware efforts at making one.

I am a fan of Paradox. They make the sort of games I like or at least think I will, rather like Matrix. I do wish that they had made them all turn based instead of pauseable real time like a good many of their customers. But that battle was lost a long time ago

I know they produce initially buggy games but they always support them and they seem to come right in the end. Unlike Matrix who produce playable games straight out of the box and then tweak stuff, Paradox games tranform from patch to patch I have not bought HOI and I think I shall wait for HOI2. EU was a good game after the patches but EU2 was the game it was always trying to be. I can highly recommend it to anyone who likes a patient empire builder and does not mind getting knocked a step back for every two you take forward. It's not usually a game where you just get bigger and better all the time.

< Message edited by Hoplosternum -- 11/8/2004 2:23:02 PM >

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Europa Universalis Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI