Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Casual gamer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Casual gamer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Casual gamer - 10/15/2004 11:15:36 PM   
Howcome

Hello everybody, I was wondering if this game is too hard for a casual gamer. I am very interested in the subject but I don't have an alternate life to give up playng this game. Is there small scenarios that I can play and enjoy without taking months to finish or writing a book of notes. I think you all get what I am trying to ask, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Casual gamer - 10/15/2004 11:19:10 PM   
Toro

Hey HC,

Well, most folks here are so enthusiastic about the game, we'll probably want you to get it anyway, it's really very good.

But, to answer: "casual" as in how? What kinds of games do you usually consider casual? There are smaller scenarios that you can play which last a shorter period of time, but you may find you'll want to do longer ones afterwards. Me, my life does not revolve around gaming (everyone else, watch out those "boooos!" ), but I've always wanted to re-enact this area of WW2, and this one does it.

(in reply to Howcome)
Post #: 2
RE: Casual gamer - 10/15/2004 11:25:58 PM   
Tankerace

If you are casual in the sense you play something for a bit, and hope to beat it in say 12-20 hours, then this mgiht not be from you. To fully "beat" and enjoy this game would require months, if not years. The one bad thing about this game is it requires almost near total commitment. I made the mistake of playing it a lot, and then playing and finishing "Call of Duty: United Offensive". When I came back to WiTP, I was a bit lost as to what I was trying to do. I reccommend it, but if by casual gamer you tend to play a game for a bit, then move on, I would reccomend getting UV instead, mainly because 1) it doesn't take as long, and 2) its easier on the checkbook.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 3
RE: Casual gamer - 10/15/2004 11:27:22 PM   
Feinder

Are you familiar with hex-based wargaming, and (general) attention to detail that it often demands?

WitP is not at all like "Axis & Allies" (board-game), or even the turn-based games like Civ3 or whatever. It is FAR more complex (just being frank with you).

WitP has quite a few things that seem like minutia, that are crucial to playing the game. Not going to lie to you. Without a doubt, it can be a bit overwhelming at first kick.

But honestly, in direct response to your question, "Yes, there are shorter scenarious that you can play, instead of getting wrapped up the long campaing right out of the box."

In fairness, that's one of the advantages to a turn-based game to the casual player. You -can- play even a single turn. Put it down for a day or so, and come back to it. You might need to leave yourself a little not about what you were doing, but turn-based games are good that way.

The hardest part is getting over the "overwhemled stage". Part of it is really cool to sit there and click thru every single pilot in the Pacific, or check the stats on every patrol boat if you so desire (trust me, there's a morbid curiousity about this). THAT will make your mind explode. Play the tutorial, and the smaller scenarios. They're designed to help you learn the game in smaller fragments.

But is WitP for the casual player? I'd honestly have to say it depends on your background. You -can- play it casually. But the problem is, if you've never been exposed to something like it before, it's going to be daunting.

Regards,
-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Howcome)
Post #: 4
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 12:54:23 AM   
doktorblood

I'd say all-in-all it's fine for a casual gamer despite the game's rather steep learning curve. There are smaller and shorter scenarios included; you can even set up your own if you wish. You can also let the computer run any of the fronts you are not interested in, while you concentrate on the theatre you are interested in.

As it is a turn based game you can play and learn to play at your own pace ... against the computer AI at least and PBM games aren't that hectic.

True, the game is set up to appeal to the wargame grognard but I think anyone who is interested in wargames, strategy or history could enjoy it for a long time ... and ... we don't need no stinking notes.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 12:55:25 AM   
RevRick

WitP might be for a Casual Player if that player has an affinity bordering on obsession for the complexities of Naval Warfare, and in the Pacific Theater of Operations. That is, if you define casual as one who wants a quick play the game on Sunday afternoon between football and baseball seasons diversion. This is not a quick diversion. It has a depth and scope which cannot be imagined until you dive into it. I can only play a couple of hours a day (usually) which means I usually get one turn finished and begin another. About three turns every two days.

But, if you REALLY want to know what theater commanders had to wrestle with when they were protecting our collective tookuses - then this game is it.

Just my 20% of a dimes worth.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 4:13:40 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Hello everybody, I was wondering if this game is too hard for a casual gamer.

Howcome, not at all. Just set it on "easy" and you're on your way having fun as a chair Admiral. You can play as little as you like, and will learn a lot about WW2 on the process. Just don't expect to play the entire WW2 on 10 hours: you will probably not finish it, but will certainly enjoy.

Now, these guys here they say the "very hard" mode is too easy; they have nightmares with the Akagi coming and sinking their carefully balanced battle groups; they named their sons Fubuki, Cleveland and Big E, and they will go and bite the developers legs trying to prove that the A6M5 should have 3 points more of maneuverability. That when they don't go crazy saying that the attacks on Pearl Harbor are executed as dive-bomber, torpedo, dive-bomber, when they should be torpedo, dive-bomber, dive-bomber because the Vals attacked 87 seconds later than the Kates (or whatever).

On the other hand they really know their turf, and the forum alone is like 30% of the fun of the game. If you are a WW2 enthusiast and like to learn about military history, this is your game.

Now, you're more like a Civ3 guy, then this game is not for you.

F.

(in reply to Howcome)
Post #: 7
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 4:30:52 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Small scenarios be damned! The big one is the way to go, even for the casual gamer with a fixed and limited amount of time to play. I say this because almost every turn has an example of a victory or a defeat, and any larger operations you are conducting carry with them the inevitable victory, defeat or draw. Winning the entire war is important, but its the smaller victories and defeats which lead to the end result which provide the most satisfaction for me. Every time I sit down and play WITP, I am assured of a rewarding experience.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 8
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 4:32:42 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Every time I sit down and play WITP, I am assured of a rewarding experience.

Even more rewarding when one of the carriers repop on the US, that's another way to add to the game's satisfaction...

F.

< Message edited by fbastos -- 10/16/2004 2:33:39 AM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 9
RE: Casual gamer - 10/16/2004 4:56:02 AM   
Howcome

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to give it a shot. It will be next week when I take the dive but I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again.

(in reply to Howcome)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Casual gamer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI