Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small Graphics Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Small Graphics Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Graphics Problem - 10/18/2004 3:00:12 PM   
Bill Durrant

loaded up 8.3 with no problems.

However, all through 8.0, 8.01, 8.2, and 8.3 I've had the following problem (hoped 8.3 would fix this)

At the end of the intro my screen is blank (black) other than a message asking me to pick style of play. As I drag my mouse across the screen the graphics come into view - a bit like painting on MS Paint. Game seems to play okay so not a major problem. I have a new system (4 months) and latest drivers.

Any ideas?

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Post #: 1
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/18/2004 3:35:48 PM   
robot

Dont use intro use mech exec in steell folder.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 2
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/18/2004 4:20:41 PM   
Bill Durrant

Same thing happens.

Message says "Select to play by e-Mail" and rest of screen is black. as soon as I move my mouse the screen starts colouring in, message disappears and normal screen starts appearing - if I move my mouse vigourously

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

Post #: 3
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/22/2004 5:10:08 PM   
m10bob

After replacing my harddrive last month(and losing everything),I reloaded all and I too was having this same "black screen" issue,(having to re-draw by moving the mouse),and was seeing problems in the graphics coloration,especially with "neon" smoke,but I resolved this with Directx,(type it into your browser),because MS just THIS MONTH(10/04)released a Directx 9.+ "UPGRADE" which resolved all my issues...Works perfect..
Note:this is NOT just a patch and took my dial up approx 90 minutes to download...

Post #: 4
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 12:14:19 AM   
sarjen

Well i am having the same problem even with DirectX 9.0c. And as i understand m10bob the update is a SDK-package not meant for the normal enduser. So, i too have the graphics problem. I think it has something to do not only with DirectX but also with the SP2 of XP.

Any help?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 12:59:56 AM   
KG Erwin

I can run SPWaW with XP, but it may help to run it under Win98 compatibility mode.

I have two PCs--the new one is for graphics and memory-intensive games, running Windows XP. My primary PC is nearly 6 years old, uses the standard Win98, and it will run SPWaW without ANY problems.

The moral to this story is--if you plan on upgrading, and your old PC still works, then KEEP IT. New PCs and older games don't always mix.

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 6
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 1:04:56 AM   
Hexed Gamer

I get what I "think" is that effect periodically.

I get a black screen where the menu of game mode options would be.

Moving the mouse reveals screen image.

No idea why it occurs, but it seems like a fluke. I usually just call it a bad load and when the exit button is visible, I close game and reload. It only happens to me once in like 50 loads though.
It might be just the spectre of a dos program getting snitty with XP at a random moment.

< Message edited by Hexed Gamer -- 10/29/2004 11:05:15 PM >

There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 2:50:09 PM   
sarjen

OK .. tried all compability modes - to no avail. I reinstalled 7.2 - no avail. So there is a problem with SP2 of XP.

@HexedGamer: i have it every load :(

i will wait until a solution drops by

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 8
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 3:08:15 PM   
robot

I gave up on sp2 with xp a long time aago. But it was more with the mouse speed then graphics.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 9
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 4:59:36 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Well there is no shortage of anti Windows or MS anything comments out there.
I recently tried Mozilla Firefox for instance, but I found it had difficulty remembering passwords. The randomness annoyed me.

During a recent format and reinstall I decided to look into SP2 and I went back to IE.
I have not experienced a lot of gaming trouble with XP, but then I have a fairly old video card Radeon 7000 PCI 32 meg type.
I also play more older programs (but not so old XP hates them) and that makes a difference to I suppose.
I have not experienced much trouble since adding SP2, but then my computer usage is mostly a few older wargames, a word processor and ordinary email usage. I have noticed it has snarled my usage of Yahoo where cam and file sending/receiving is concerned though (so SP2 is not 100% thrilling to me yet).

Whenever I see graphics troubles, the first thing that comes to mind, would be is your video card a newer more powerful sort of card.
Generally, if most people say they are playing the game no hassle, then it has to be a problem peculiar to the users non game environment.
Thus, you need to stop thinking it is automatically the program, and search out what about your actual computer the program doesn't like.

Most computers (I think) come with some sort of onboard video. Likely sucks against most of today's newer game usage. But then most onboard video should have no real trouble running Steel Panthers. It is worth it (if you know how) to go into your system settings (through control panel) and see if is possible to access any potential onboard option might be open (I have an onboard video option in my case). The onboard video won't be a perfect solution, I am just offering it up as thinking out loud :)

As with any fiddling, make sure to use Restore points (they save you from bad ideas sometimes).

I have tried the multiple partition multiple OS on one system approach. It "can" work, but I am no real fan of it.
If your problem truely persists, and you are not afraid to spend a few bucks, you might contemplate wandering used locations and finding a near worthless system just for the sake of a minimal hard drive minimal motherboard ram and video arrangement.
Steel Panthers will run fine on a computer most would rather throw away than sell.
My foot is resting on right now :)
The nice thing about Steel Panthers, is it's a great game, but doesn't need an overly great computer.
You can find a clunker, load 98SE nothing else, and call it your PC/Console box :)
Mine is a 500 system has a 1.9 gig drive 256 megs of ram (that was just what was handy) looks like a circa 2000 system sort of.
Right now the only reason I have it, is it runs SPWW2 and SPMBT with fewer hassles than XP for me.
Otherwise, it would be upstairs masquerading as a clever typewriter.

< Message edited by Hexed Gamer -- 10/30/2004 3:02:03 PM >

There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 10
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 7:24:26 PM   
m10bob

I too agree with Gunny ref: the Windows 98 mode...BTW,the other times I had been getting that "blackout screen" was when the mouse was not active,during arty shelling,when I was just sitting back watching the shells hit.Screen would go black and I would have to move the mouse to re-draw.Sometimes even touching the mouse would bring the screen back!.
I have XP pro and SP1,SP2,SP3 won't even run on my CPU..

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 11
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/30/2004 11:24:01 PM   
parusski

I can't give u a solution. I am computer engineer. I and my coworkers have yet to determine what causes this problem. We have done it all. New video cards, new hard drives, new computers, of course updating(sometimes rolling back) software updates of drivers.

A programmer I work with has examined the code-sees nothing wrong.

So, to heck with it. When it happens to us, we just move the mouse around. Problem solved-well, sorta.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 12
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/31/2004 11:32:51 AM   
sarjen

I installed it on my Laptop running on Win2000 Prof. No problems, except that the fonts are somewhat garbled, but still readable. YESSSS ... playing it now

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 13
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 10/31/2004 6:51:55 PM   
proberts

i have had the same problem for a very long time black screens and having to move the mouse to clear it i am at present running a p4 3.0ghz SP2 ,nvidia 5700,1ghz quality ram etc .My previous systems were of equal spec but still the problem persisted (no sp2 though but still black screens) i am a pc engineer so had tried what i considered to be everything until one day i decided to shut down a spyware program running in the background "SPYWARE GUARD "and suddenly no black screens i turned it back on black screens came back ,so after a lot of fiddling around to solve this over a long period of time it was in my case a simple answer,you may not have spyware guard but check what is running behind the scenes.

phil

Post #: 14
RE: Small Graphics Problem - 11/1/2004 2:56:37 AM   
chief

fmphil: Great advice, its been posted many times but still needs to be repeated. SPwaw is a MEMORY HOG it will use all it can find, if your playing against the AI shut down ALL background running ops except Explorer and Systray. If your plaing PBEM firewalls are a disaster but a Anti virus will still be handy. of course if you enjoy censorship than by all means keep your black screen

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to proberts)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Small Graphics Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI