Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gaza

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Gaza Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gaza - 11/5/2004 11:53:56 PM   
A_Turtle

Alright, I have to admit it, I am having problems getting past Gaza. Anyone willing to offer some suggestions? I only managed to get to one flag with one unit once in 6 tries. THings often start out good, but I just get worn down and eventually overwhelmed. I have max cards of sheild, helath, poison, berserk, bombard, fire, and rally. I take all units except for a couple of light units. Most of my units are verteran.

Thebes is a good intro, Granicus is interesting but not much room for maneuver. I really like Issus the best so far. I like to set up most of my hevy stuf on my left, crush the Persian right and then swwep inland and takes the flag in the middle. I have a smaller group that follows along the mountains and takes the flag there.

Still I am stuck in Gaza, so if you have won this battle and have some suggestions please share. Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Gaza - 11/6/2004 4:42:06 PM   
A_Turtle

Well I tried it again and barely eeked out a win, did not hit a single flag but I got the enemy army to break. Its off to Gaugamela plain for some face time with big D. I am sure it will be a challenge. Later.

(in reply to A_Turtle)
Post #: 2
RE: Gaza - 11/6/2004 5:24:00 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: A_Turtle
Well I tried it again and barely eeked out a win, did not hit a single flag but I got the enemy army to break. Its off to Gaugamela plain for some face time with big D. I am sure it will be a challenge. Later.

I was hoping that someone else would post a strategy for Gaza. Glad you got a win, but I think it is a fun battle to try again and again since there are really a good number of ways to win it. Gaza is my favorite map since you don't really have time to organize your troops before the fighting begins. And, the Egyptians bring in wave after wave of units.

Deride

(in reply to A_Turtle)
Post #: 3
RE: Gaza - 11/6/2004 6:11:49 PM   
Marathon

My strategy was to forget the flags and concetrate on breaking the enemys' will. I used my cavalry to break through the Egyptian lines and attack them from the rear.

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 4
RE: Gaza - 11/6/2004 7:06:14 PM   
Radames

Gaza is my favorite map, although not necessarily my favorite battle. I love the city scenery.

I've won Gaza each time, but only the last time (#4?) through got a major victory, as this was the first time I took more than one flag. My strategy is in a large part determined by the choices I made that first time through, since I now know what to expect.

I should also point out that all but the last try was using the beta builds, which had slightly different AI reactions.

On my first time, I decided I would try for a right flanking maneuver. At the outset, I shifted most of my cavalry along the wall to the right side while advancing the rest of my army to contact with the idea that 5-6 turns in I could make the main attack. I was taken by surprise by the cavalry that shows up from my far right! So instead of making an overwhelming attack, as I had intended, my cavalry ended up arriving just in time - but at that point I was only able to fight to a standstill.

Meanwhile, I am desperately watching the red and blue bars at the top of the screen. Although my line is now a mess, I've managed to give a little better than I've taken. Particularly on my far left, some judicious manuevering can draw out the chariots, hit them in the flank, and make up in points what I'm losing on the right. Just in the nick of time, the enemy routed giving me a minor victory.

As I've said, I've repeated this (I think) four times, but I've always tried varations on my original (accidental) strategy. I've always won by routing, not by taking all objectives. My key strategies are these.

1) Reinforce the right from the beginning. The initial setup doesn't have enough to counter the enemy cavalry, but waiting until the enemy is spotted probably means its too late to get anything there.

2) Push through the enemy center (there's a lot of axemen, susceptible to charge) and neutralize the enemy archers. If they are behind the lines when you stop moving, they'll kill you.

3) Finally, to successfully take 2 of 3 flags, I played a little differently. I advanced more slowly to start with, not trying to force an early contact. In response, the enemy move forward much sooner. Then I sent a small contigent (2 cavalry, 1 spear) through gaps in the lines to grab objectives, while the battle was still mostly at the line of those first two obelisks.

(in reply to Marathon)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Gaza Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI