Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:02:08 PM   
2ndACR

Also to add, I play Lemurs scenario only and it is by far more Japanese friendly scenario.

If I had the time, I would offer to let you give this a whirl with me. But since I do not know when I will leave it is moot.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 31
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:04:15 PM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen

Planes:

Guess that you'll have to engage them when you attack their base with LCU's. Otherwise the Sturmovik will make you pay dearly (just a guess, as I never tried, but seems at least reasonable).

Supplies:

Maybe, but what happens when China chooses to attack you while you're busy elsewhere. Of course you could take back the lost terrain later, but you'll still need enough supplied troops in China to hold your most important positions.

The Russian fighters cannot inflict any significant damage on the Japanese fighters. Move some zeros up to Manchuko and the russian fighters are toast. What I would do is move large numbers of fighters and bombers to manchuko and knock the russian air force out right away. I would use political points to shift air units attached to the japanese home defense to the kwantang army.

In regards to the chinese army launching an offensive. You are leaving out part of the china strategy. The divisions that are garrisoning the coastal chinese towns are moved to china proper or manchuko because forces are moved to the coastal towns to take over garrison duty. There should be no lost territory to recapture. Remember, the allied player won't know that your china forces have been shifted to Manchuko until they appear in Russia. By the time the chinese army is in full scale attack mode on selected targets the kwantang army,the divisions that were moved out of china and the 12 divisions shifted from the delayed invasion of the pacific islands,malaya and singapore will be arriving in china. A large part of the chinese forces are far away and have to move slowly over dirt tracks or over mountainous terrain.

Of course if you screw up the Russian campaign and don't take the Russians out in a month or so after you launch the invasion you are toast. But, given how the russian forces are dispersed and how easy it is to isolate them and cut them off from supplies, you would have to be a total bumbler to make this mistake. If you use this tactic: cut off the enemy from supplies, bring up superior forces, fight a battle of encirclement, then you can make short work of the Russians. If you don't do this, you will get embarrassed.

Hirohito

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 32
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:10:33 PM   
kaiser73

To Xargun:

Russia has 7k Assault points, i think for a fast victory (2 months) you need at least 12k Assault points.

I mean, here we are talking about annhilating 7000 Assault Points. no way you can do that with 10k.

About Starving the russians as Hirohito says, startving takes time. a Unit takes a month to finish the supply ONCE the base has run out. Given the supplies Russians have, to starve them it will take 2-3 months.

Prolly you can take amboina and kendari and borneo and mindanao. Surely not Java, sumatra.

IJN can cut off Philippines. But Phi have their own resources. it will take time to starve them, lot of.

I repeat, i can't see Japan winning Russia in 2 months. Many forget the logistic. it will be like 3-4months. and once you have won there you will lose a month to rest your troops and move back in china.
Then you will still need months to kill the chinese. and it will take lot of time to beat china. Hell, it takes 2 weeks just to move units from Sians to Chunking... 3 months is the minimum to win in China and annhilating chinese.

so russia (3,5) + 1 for redeply and rest + (3,5) china is 8 months at best. SO you are in september '42. going to india as you suggest will take lot of time. Takes 1 month just to move units from china to burma and to move by sea some divs to india.

Again, i think you don't have enough time to win in india.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 33
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:21:42 PM   
BlackVoid

Attacking Russia would make sense if Germany would also be on play. Japanese attack Russia in 41 would have been a rude surprise for Stalin and could have meant the loss of Moscow in the West.

In the game it does not make sense ot attack Russia. In real life, it would make the USA weaker in the PT.

(in reply to kaiser73)
Post #: 34
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:29:45 PM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

Japanese attack Russia in 41 would have been a rude surprise for Stalin and could have meant the loss of Moscow in the West.

Rude surprise, yes. Why would that have led to the fall of Moscow? I seriously doubt Stalin would have rushed troops away from Moscow in late '41 to reinforce Vladivostok.

In the game, and in Real Life, the main result of a Japanese attack on Russia would be sending a bunch of troops the Japanese could use elsewhere into a sideshow that could not possibly help them in the long term.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 35
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 8:33:30 PM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

Japanese attack Russia in 41 would have been a rude surprise for Stalin and could have meant the loss of Moscow in the West.

Rude surprise, yes. Why would that have led to the fall of Moscow? I seriously doubt Stalin would have rushed troops away from Moscow in late '41 to reinforce Vladivostok.

In the game, and in Real Life, the main result of a Japanese attack on Russia would be sending a bunch of troops the Japanese could use elsewhere into a sideshow that could not possibly help them in the long term.

No Stalin would not have sent forces to Vladivostok, but neither would those forces he DID send towards Moscow be able to be used. The winter offensive used alot of forces from the Far East command because the units in the West had been chewed up so bad.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 36
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 9:04:07 PM   
moses

It really all depends on how fast you can subdue russia. If you can get it done by end of Feb 42 its probably a good deal. If your still fighting there in May you've lost the game.

It would be fun to read the AAR.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 37
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/8/2004 9:07:12 PM   
sveint

Hirohito;

Glad to see you are back, and your tone is much more humble this time. Very nice discussions here.

Your plan is not viable. You NEED to take DEI while you can and pulling forces out of the Southern Army to attack Russia is a recipe for disaster; much like your previous proposed plan. However it does score points for originality.

For a variant that I think will work (and I think would work in reality), see:

http://www.svein.org/senkou/index.shtml ALL MY PBEM OPPONENTS NOT ALLOWED TO VIEW

Historically speaking: Japan should have made an all out effort in China - and then turned on Russia in spring 1942 after Russia had transferred forces west.

< Message edited by sveint -- 11/8/2004 1:17:08 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 38
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 1:11:13 AM   
kaiser73

Just to add, i think that if you do this plan, it would be fair to give 10 days to russia to deploy his troops before attacking.

I mean, Allied player has no chance to redeploy his troops while Japan player can make his plan to exploit russian's starting deployement.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 39
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 2:19:27 AM   
Cav Trooper

Not a bad plan, to a degree. However, I do have some reservations about it working exactly as you think it would go:

1. Supply in the short term probably will not hurt to bad at first. However, once you start to move inland on China, you have to remember, you are moving further away from your supply nodes, where as the Chinese are falling back upon theirs, and India's. So, one glitch in supply, you've got problems.

2. PI's are up and running for the Allies, and India / Burma has some long range AC from decent bases. As allied, since I no longer have to interdict convoy's running from SRA and the Central Pacific back to Japan, I use all available subs to start interdicting your ports (except inland Sea of Japan) and any outgoing supply convoys from the Home Islands and vice versa. As you're chasing down my subs, I'm burning up your fuel reserves at an alarming rate, solidifying my SW pacific bastions and gearing up for a reposite sometime in late 42 to early 43. My A/C are bombing your Mainland china ports, SEA ports and again attriting valuable supplies and fuel stocks.

3. With no concerted effort to work over the SRA, except for a few spots, I'm able to begin to extracate the resources / oil / fuel back to OZ and the long route to India to help bolster the supply issues there. US is sending a couple of additional TF's to OZ and other Central / South Pacific key supply nodes for follow on actions. Meanwhile, I'm mining and setting up interdiction assets for your run around Malaya to get to India / Burma, which is a heavly predicated operation for your success in the CBI.

4. I really don't see Russia paying that much of a concern to losing Siberia at this point. Japan is not a threat to European Russia at this point in time, and Stalin would not release additional troops to the Far East. Yes, I do believe that Russia's loss of Far Eastern troops would hurt them initially, however, seeing as the Germans' were not prepared for any other operation lasting longer than 6 months, factor in the weather (lousy winter which they were ill prepared for) and I believe that the only difference on the Eastern Front would have been a delay in getting off the Soviets' offensives by about 6 to 9 months at most against mostly stabalized lines. The only thing I see the Soviets really getting up tight about is the Trans Siberian lend lease shipments they were getting from the US in terms of Aircraft transfers (if memory serves me proper), only these would have been cut out and would have been shipped via the North Sea supply lines.

Overall, not a bad strategy, however once again, total success on Japan's part would be contengient on intial overwhelming and near perfect execution. Short term goals achievable, however, once again long term goals are seriously lacking. There is no buffer zone to collapse upon as the Allies are gearing up for offensive action. Navy will be stronger due to not losing ships / merchant assets early on. Air Force able to have an impact upon operations earlier than historical and/or planned. This would heavily rely upon no American involvement what so ever for the first 9 months to a year (assuming PH never occurs). Once again, I do not see the US standing patiently by doing nothing.

Not a bad plan, if (<-- note) if, there is an additional plan to be executed in the wings to conduct southern,eastern and central pacific operations to counter US / British counter moves. Enjoyed the thinking you have provoked. And if anyone see's flaws in my observations, please correct them as it will aid me in understaning the Pacific theater better...

3rd ACR Tanker
3/4 US Cav Trooper
Brave Rifles

"Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs."

(in reply to kaiser73)
Post #: 40
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 4:17:19 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaiser73

To Xargun:

Russia has 7k Assault points, i think for a fast victory (2 months) you need at least 12k Assault points.

I mean, here we are talking about annhilating 7000 Assault Points. no way you can do that with 10k.

About Starving the russians as Hirohito says, startving takes time. a Unit takes a month to finish the supply ONCE the base has run out. Given the supplies Russians have, to starve them it will take 2-3 months.

Prolly you can take amboina and kendari and borneo and mindanao. Surely not Java, sumatra.

IJN can cut off Philippines. But Phi have their own resources. it will take time to starve them, lot of.

I repeat, i can't see Japan winning Russia in 2 months. Many forget the logistic. it will be like 3-4months. and once you have won there you will lose a month to rest your troops and move back in china.
Then you will still need months to kill the chinese. and it will take lot of time to beat china. Hell, it takes 2 weeks just to move units from Sians to Chunking... 3 months is the minimum to win in China and annhilating chinese.

so russia (3,5) + 1 for redeply and rest + (3,5) china is 8 months at best. SO you are in september '42. going to india as you suggest will take lot of time. Takes 1 month just to move units from china to burma and to move by sea some divs to india.

Again, i think you don't have enough time to win in india.

Don't fight the 7,000 K assault points all at once, fight them in 2,000 K chunks after you isolate them. You can overwhelm each group that is isolated. And I send far more than 10 K assault points into Russia, the entire Kwantang army, the 12 divisions that are redeployed from the original plan, and divisions from China.

Russia cannot hold.

Hirohito

(in reply to kaiser73)
Post #: 41
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 4:22:36 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

Hirohito;

Glad to see you are back, and your tone is much more humble this time. Very nice discussions here.

Your plan is not viable. You NEED to take DEI while you can and pulling forces out of the Southern Army to attack Russia is a recipe for disaster; much like your previous proposed plan. However it does score points for originality.

For a variant that I think will work (and I think would work in reality), see:

http://www.svein.org/senkou/index.shtml ALL MY PBEM OPPONENTS NOT ALLOWED TO VIEW

Historically speaking: Japan should have made an all out effort in China - and then turned on Russia in spring 1942 after Russia had transferred forces west.

The oil production that you get conquering russia and then china makes up for delaying the conquest of DEI, does it not?

Hirohito

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 42
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 4:45:20 AM   
moses

I did a quick look around Russia. Does anyone else think it looks like Japan can take it very easily and quickly? Has anyone tried this? I had thought it should be a tough war and that Japan would need to bring in lots of forces to take Russia out. But an admittedly very quick and superficial look at the Russian deployments makes me feel it would be pretty easy.

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 43
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 4:55:34 AM   
tsimmonds

Oil Production:

400 Soviet Far East
225 China (not already Japanese controlled)

800 Borneo
800 Sumatra
300 Other DEI
100 Burma

quote:

The oil production that you get conquering russia and then china makes up for delaying the conquest of DEI, does it not?

It definitely does not.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 44
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:00:51 AM   
2ndACR

One of the Betas attacked the Russians in a test. He did not go for victory, just to see what would happen. He got spanked bad.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 45
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:16:24 AM   
moses

Was it early in the game or late.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 46
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:22:02 AM   
2ndACR

January 42 I think. He grabbed that isolated Russain oil producer on the island and the big bad Russain bear came a knocking in Manchuria. It was early war though.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 47
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:27:25 AM   
Tankerace

Attacking Russia, "just for fun" is suicide. The only way you could do it is if you sank everything in the US and Japanese inventory, and had control of the Pacific. Then you could let your troops get slaughtered in Siberia. Otherwise, for a serious game, it would be best to go with the normal plan of taking the DEI and the PI. Oil is good. Tanks and Battlewagons love it.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 48
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:31:47 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: 3rd ACR Tanker

Not a bad plan, to a degree. However, I do have some reservations about it working exactly as you think it would go:

1. Supply in the short term probably will not hurt to bad at first. However, once you start to move inland on China, you have to remember, you are moving further away from your supply nodes, where as the Chinese are falling back upon theirs, and India's. So, one glitch in supply, you've got problems.

2. PI's are up and running for the Allies, and India / Burma has some long range AC from decent bases. As allied, since I no longer have to interdict convoy's running from SRA and the Central Pacific back to Japan, I use all available subs to start interdicting your ports (except inland Sea of Japan) and any outgoing supply convoys from the Home Islands and vice versa. As you're chasing down my subs, I'm burning up your fuel reserves at an alarming rate, solidifying my SW pacific bastions and gearing up for a reposite sometime in late 42 to early 43. My A/C are bombing your Mainland china ports, SEA ports and again attriting valuable supplies and fuel stocks.

3. With no concerted effort to work over the SRA, except for a few spots, I'm able to begin to extracate the resources / oil / fuel back to OZ and the long route to India to help bolster the supply issues there. US is sending a couple of additional TF's to OZ and other Central / South Pacific key supply nodes for follow on actions. Meanwhile, I'm mining and setting up interdiction assets for your run around Malaya to get to India / Burma, which is a heavly predicated operation for your success in the CBI.

4. I really don't see Russia paying that much of a concern to losing Siberia at this point. Japan is not a threat to European Russia at this point in time, and Stalin would not release additional troops to the Far East. Yes, I do believe that Russia's loss of Far Eastern troops would hurt them initially, however, seeing as the Germans' were not prepared for any other operation lasting longer than 6 months, factor in the weather (lousy winter which they were ill prepared for) and I believe that the only difference on the Eastern Front would have been a delay in getting off the Soviets' offensives by about 6 to 9 months at most against mostly stabalized lines. The only thing I see the Soviets really getting up tight about is the Trans Siberian lend lease shipments they were getting from the US in terms of Aircraft transfers (if memory serves me proper), only these would have been cut out and would have been shipped via the North Sea supply lines.

Overall, not a bad strategy, however once again, total success on Japan's part would be contengient on intial overwhelming and near perfect execution. Short term goals achievable, however, once again long term goals are seriously lacking. There is no buffer zone to collapse upon as the Allies are gearing up for offensive action. Navy will be stronger due to not losing ships / merchant assets early on. Air Force able to have an impact upon operations earlier than historical and/or planned. This would heavily rely upon no American involvement what so ever for the first 9 months to a year (assuming PH never occurs). Once again, I do not see the US standing patiently by doing nothing.

Not a bad plan, if (<-- note) if, there is an additional plan to be executed in the wings to conduct southern,eastern and central pacific operations to counter US / British counter moves. Enjoyed the thinking you have provoked. And if anyone see's flaws in my observations, please correct them as it will aid me in understaning the Pacific theater better...

I wasn't going to skip PH attack, I was going to abandon central pacific, the PH attack still occurs.

I do have a long term objective, the conquest of malaya, singapore, burma, and india after china falls. To accomplish this, the kwantang army and the chinese divisions not doing garrison duty invade india from the north, while 10 divisions launch amphibious landings on both coasts of India. After India falls, attention is turned to DEI and PI. The british won't be conducting any counter moves as they won't be around. The burden now falls to the americans and the aussies. Will the american steam roller still roll over top of the empire? Probably. but, the IJN will be intact and the entire japanese air force will be meeting the counter blow when it comes, it wont be sitting the war out in manchuko and china.

I think there have to be several rules changes in the game to reflect the true impact of this strategy. If the Empire takes eastern russia in '41 and early '42 the Russians are in a tight spot for several reasons. First, fewer reinforcements coming from the far east; second, the loss of important resources, factories, and oil production; third, the lend lease equipment coming from America via the trans Siberian railroad. The Americans will be forced to make up the loss of the resources and factories in Siberia, Russia almost lost in '42 as it was, these resources will then be missing on the west coast of America. What happens on Russia's western front without the reinforcements from Siberia and the lend lease not coming via the trans siberia railroad? I'm not sure, but SOMETHING unpleasant has to be done to the Allies, the allies would have to do something drastic if Russia was on the verge of collapse on their western front.

What happens if India falls? That means Indian troops are no longer with the Brits facing Rommel, Australia might pull their forces out of north africa too. Britain is hurt from the lack of resources coming from the sub continent, they cannot make as good a stand against Rommel, perhaps. At the least, America will have to make up the resources lost in India, the Brits were hanging on by their fingernails in late '41 as it was.

The conquest of eastern Russia and India has far reaching effects on the war effort elsewhere. America would have been forced to make up the slack, therefore less men and weapons and ships and planes and supplies and resources for the pacific campaign.

Another issue, if Russia is conquered and China is conquered how does it make sense to keep the Kwantang army and the China armies restricted by not allowing them to board ships? They should be allowed to go to other theatres once Russia and China are taken. Now things get interesting. how does the allied player hold PI or DEI against the Kwantang army, some part of the China armies, and the 6 or so divisions of the original plan? Along with the bulk of IJN and the bulk of the air forces? I don't think they do. Now, how does America successfully invade PI if PI is defended by 15 divisions? They don't.

I think the reason that taking Russia and China seem so "not worth it" is that the rules don't take account of the fact that the Kwantang army and the china armies could be redeployed once Russia and China fall. This makes America's counter offensive a risky adventure at best.

Hirohito

(in reply to Cav Trooper)
Post #: 49
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:39:52 AM   
sveint

quote:

while 10 divisions launch amphibious landings on both coasts of India. After India falls,

You make it sound so easy. Hirohito please play a game and post an AAR. Then come back and talk. Better yet try any of these strategies. Anyone can think grand - but it's execution that matters.

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 50
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 5:49:11 AM   
moses

You can hardly talk about realism here when it is clear that this kind of plan is only viable in the game and not in the real world. The idea that Japan could have shifted tons of divisions to Russia, defeat them in a lightning winter campaign, shift everything to China, conquer all of China in 4 or 5 months, then shift to India and defeat the forces there is a total fantasy. It is impossible beyond belief.

In the game it is possible because the game does not model large land campaigns all that well. Most important is that things happen at least twice and probably 3 or 4 times as fast as in real life.

It might be fun to try this in the game to see how it goes. But we should not then start bringing in what ifs about added rewards for doing so. You get no extra rewards because in real life it was flat impossible.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 51
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 6:11:14 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

You can hardly talk about realism here when it is clear that this kind of plan is only viable in the game and not in the real world. The idea that Japan could have shifted tons of divisions to Russia, defeat them in a lightning winter campaign, shift everything to China, conquer all of China in 4 or 5 months, then shift to India and defeat the forces there is a total fantasy. It is impossible beyond belief.

In the game it is possible because the game does not model large land campaigns all that well. Most important is that things happen at least twice and probably 3 or 4 times as fast as in real life.

It might be fun to try this in the game to see how it goes. But we should not then start bringing in what ifs about added rewards for doing so. You get no extra rewards because in real life it was flat impossible.

What evidence do you give that a campaign like this was impossible? The Germans pulled off even more spectacular campaigns against Poland, France, Russia, Yugoslavia, Greece, and North Africa. Would you have said, "the idea that Germany would conquer Poland, then shift their forces north to invade Denmark and Norway, then move their army west to conquer France, Belgium, Holland, and Luxembourg, then move part of their army all the way back to eastern Poland for an invasion of Russia that captured 3 million Russian troops, surrounded Leningrad and began shelling Moscow from the Moscow suburbs, that is an impossible fantasy." Would you have said that?

I see no evidence why the campaign I outlined could not have worked in real life.

Unless you are saying that the game is so flawed that it in no way reflects reality, in which case we are all wasting our time playing the game. Which would beg the question, why do you play the game if it is so "unreal" as to be a fantasy?

What makes the campaign I outlined an "impossible fantasy"?

Hirohito

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 52
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:09:12 AM   
Tankerace

No offense, but here is an Allied counter attack strategy. You say that you won't skip Pearl harbor, but you will abandon taking the Central Pacific, and you plan to grab the DEI and such after Russia falls. In that time, With my RN, and ABDA forces, I could easily cut off your supply lines, and force a landing in French Indo China. As any troops that you could rapidly shift to counter this would be in Siberia, I could have a considerable beachhead, supported by Indian units no longer needed in the defense of India. With that beachhead, I could stack it with bombers, and interdict any attempt of yours to land on Malay. Every hour you fight in Russia, I grow stonger.

Then, I would form a good sized task force, and get 1 to 2 good divisions, via Australia, to the Phillippine Islands. While it may not stop you from taking them, by the time you get around to it, it will stall you from taking it long enough that when you do, your industry will collapse and force you out of the war.

While I'm doing that, I will take the 1st and 2nd USMC, and make a landing in the Pacific. Ideally I would take kwajelein. Reletively lightly defended, an all out assault should grab the island. With this, I can seriously hamper your Pacific gains.

And, through all of this time, I would blockade your ports. Mining ports, and putting my subs around Soviet bases and Korea, I can seriously harass your shipping. For every transport I sink that carries goods to the Soviet front, that is less supplies on that front meaning alonger campaign, and 1 less transport that can shift troops to offensive operations. With your Zekes knocking out the Russian airforce, I can strengthen my hold on the PI, and shoot down any bombers that try to attack it. By the time you get around to it, you'll be facing a ready, prepared, and reinforced enemy.

By the time you are in aposition to begin taking the PI and DEI, (after India "falls") I will have enough ships and planes to begin a counterattck. With several Centpac bases already in my hands, I can invade islands at my leisure, straight up to Japan. And then you have a choice. Starve yourself resource wise and defend Japan, or take the DEI and have Tokyo blasted by B-17s in 1943.

And even if you DO take the DEI, it will still be in my favor, as 1) Russia has no plans in my war, 2) It is 1943-1944, and you have had no holdings in the Sopac or centpac area, and 3) my subs have sank so many of your transports, that your troops will be stranded, and the amount of resources you can get back to Japan is minimal, especially if I can get a foothold in the Marianas.

Quite simply, it would be a downhill fight for me all the way.

< Message edited by Tankerace -- 11/8/2004 11:11:14 PM >

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 53
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:31:19 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

No offense, but here is an Allied counter attack strategy. You say that you won't skip Pearl harbor, but you will abandon taking the Central Pacific, and you plan to grab the DEI and such after Russia falls. In that time, With my RN, and ABDA forces, I could easily cut off your supply lines, and force a landing in French Indo China. As any troops that you could rapidly shift to counter this would be in Siberia, I could have a considerable beachhead, supported by Indian units no longer needed in the defense of India. With that beachhead, I could stack it with bombers, and interdict any attempt of yours to land on Malay. Every hour you fight in Russia, I grow stonger.

Then, I would form a good sized task force, and get 1 to 2 good divisions, via Australia, to the Phillippine Islands. While it may not stop you from taking them, by the time you get around to it, it will stall you from taking it long enough that when you do, your industry will collapse and force you out of the war.

While I'm doing that, I will take the 1st and 2nd USMC, and make a landing in the Pacific. Ideally I would take kwajelein. Reletively lightly defended, an all out assault should grab the island. With this, I can seriously hamper your Pacific gains.

And, through all of this time, I would blockade your ports. Mining ports, and putting my subs around Soviet bases and Korea, I can seriously harass your shipping. For every transport I sink that carries goods to the Soviet front, that is less supplies on that front meaning alonger campaign, and 1 less transport that can shift troops to offensive operations. With your Zekes knocking out the Russian airforce, I can strengthen my hold on the PI, and shoot down any bombers that try to attack it. By the time you get around to it, you'll be facing a ready, prepared, and reinforced enemy.

By the time you are in aposition to begin taking the PI and DEI, (after India "falls") I will have enough ships and planes to begin a counterattck. With several Centpac bases already in my hands, I can invade islands at my leisure, straight up to Japan. And then you have a choice. Starve yourself resource wise and defend Japan, or take the DEI and have Tokyo blasted by B-17s in 1943.

And even if you DO take the DEI, it will still be in my favor, as 1) Russia has no plans in my war, 2) It is 1943-1944, and you have had no holdings in the Sopac or centpac area, and 3) my subs have sank so many of your transports, that your troops will be stranded, and the amount of resources you can get back to Japan is minimal, especially if I can get a foothold in the Marianas.

Quite simply, it would be a downhill fight for me all the way.

And what do you think the IJN and the japanese air forces will be doing while you do all of this? Sipping tea? Please try an amphibious landing in Indo China, the Japanese air force needs the target practice. You won't have any problems taking Kwajalien, I already said I would abandon it. Most of what you propose you leave the IJN and the Japanese air force out of the equation. Also, it won't take two years to take Russia and China. Also, you leave out the fact that with the fall of Russia, the army in manchuko is freed up for offensive operations in China. Your assumptions are very inaccurate. I don't need to shift troops from Siberia to counter your landings in Indo China, IJN and the japanese air force will send that invasion fleet to the bottom of the sea. I don't plan on having any central pacific gains, so your landing on the undefended Kwajalein means nothing to me.

Please send your mine layers to ports in Japan, Korea, China, and Russia, and please send your subs to the sea of japan and the shallow waters off korea and russia. Do you know what happens to subs in shallow waters with a vigilant ASW combined arms force on the prowl? They make good target practice.

You seriously think you are going to get your fleet into the sea of japan to interdict supply ships headed for Vladisvostok? PLEASE send your fleet there. We can sell tickets to the fireworks display.

Your plan makes no sense, unless you like using your navy assets for target practice.

Hirohito

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 54
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:40:22 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

quote:

while 10 divisions launch amphibious landings on both coasts of India. After India falls,

You make it sound so easy. Hirohito please play a game and post an AAR. Then come back and talk. Better yet try any of these strategies. Anyone can think grand - but it's execution that matters.

I never said it was easy. I have said that this plan requires a great deal of planning and prepositioning forces.

The stated purpose of this forum is to discuss strategy. That is what I came here for.

I have tried this strategy against other players, I didn't come here to find opponents, I came here to discuss this strategy. The stated purpose of this forum is "discuss strategies..", not "find PBEM opponents, try out strategies on them, then come here to discuss the results". Perhaps that is a different forum.

Hirohito

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 55
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:44:18 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

Attacking Russia, "just for fun" is suicide. The only way you could do it is if you sank everything in the US and Japanese inventory, and had control of the Pacific. Then you could let your troops get slaughtered in Siberia. Otherwise, for a serious game, it would be best to go with the normal plan of taking the DEI and the PI. Oil is good. Tanks and Battlewagons love it.

I didn't suggest attacking Russia "just for fun". I suggested attacking it to 1) free up the Kwantang army and 2) capture all the resources, which are not insignificant, in eastern Russia.

The oil production captured in eastern russia and northern sakhelin island can run 1/5 of the japanese war production. Why bother having a forum to discuss strategies if the only strategy that is worthwhile is the "normal" plan of taking DEI and PI? The Empire didn't do too well with the "normal"strategy last time around. I'm looking for alternatives to what is known to be a losing strategy.

Hirohito

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 56
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:44:54 AM   
madflava13

Hirohito,
I'll state the obvious - You must not own the game. If you do, it's dusty.

I'm sorry, but attacking Russia and not the DEI is wrong. Please play me in a PBEM game. Name any terms you want, but attack Russia first. I'll have subs and B-17s causing you problems within the second week of the war. It just won't work for you otherwise.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 57
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:45:27 AM   
Tankerace

Ok, let me clarify.

1.) My main battle fleet will stay in Phillippine and Pacific Waters. Only may massive submarine force will blockade Japan.
2.) My landing in Indo China will be in range of air units, and not until I am sufficiently prepared to do this. You are underestimating the Soviet Air Force. If you keep to your time table (which you must), you will have to commit everything.
3.) The IJN. To keep the supply lines to your troops in Russia, you will have to detail most of your destroyers. This, unless you want my submarines to send your flattops to the bottom, hampers how much you can deploy. In addition, you are on the defensive. The bulk of my plan is to get a foothold in the central Pacific, and get troops, going all the way around Aussie land, to the PI. If you don't take my airfields, then I can sink, or at least hamper your navy. You forget, You are not going to want to risk your carriers, as you won't get as many as I will. This goes in my favor. With your escorts attempting to keep the flow of goods to Siberia, your IJN can't be in the South China Sea, Central Pacific, Southern Pacific, and Northern Pacifc. In addition, I gave you a rough outline of my plan. I can attack from either avenue, or two at once.
4.) IJN Airforce. That is going to be the real tricky part. That will only hamper my French Indo China operations. Worst Case, I can't make a landing. So, I simply beef up Malay and the DEI. Doesn't matter to me, the result is the same.

The mistake you are making is that you don't see yourself committing your airforce to Russia. This is a naive thought inviting disaster. While you might knock out the Soviet AF, you still have to dig out the ground troops. The quickest way will be to bomb them. And your planes can't be dropping bombs on Soviet troops and my carriers at the same time.

My plan is all about Stalling. You are already on a 14 month time table on December 7. If you go Russia first, with luck on my part you may reduce that to an 8 month time table, by the time you're troops can go into India. Another 5 months slogging through Malay, India, and China, that leaves you just three months to grab the DEI and PI. That is 11 months, from Dec. 41, so this is November '42. By now, I can stick so many troops in the PI, I can hold you there for 4, and defacto, you're industry is broke. Not to mention, your fleet train is so badly damaged that if it is getting resources to Japn to restart the industry, then it can't be taking positions I hold in the SoPac and CentPac theaters. This means from a standard game, you have advanced my invasion time table by a year.

To say my plan is not feasible, is to furth criticize you're own plan. I actually messed with WitP checking things, and seeing how feasible it would be. I didn't just say "Hey, what if I did this."

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 58
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:47:57 AM   
Hirohito

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

I did a quick look around Russia. Does anyone else think it looks like Japan can take it very easily and quickly? Has anyone tried this? I had thought it should be a tough war and that Japan would need to bring in lots of forces to take Russia out. But an admittedly very quick and superficial look at the Russian deployments makes me feel it would be pretty easy.

It is easy. I suggested bringing in lots of forces. All you have to do is isolate the Russian troops into several pockets, bring up superior forces and fight a battle of encirclement. Repeat this for however many pockets you divided the Russians into. IF you preposition your troops properly you can slice up the Russians and dispose of them slice by slice. It should be over in a month or two.

Hirohito

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 59
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/9/2004 7:50:53 AM   
Tankerace

You ever tried land combat in Witp Hirohito? It would take a month or two just to march your troops where they need to go, let alone the battle, quelling resistance, defending, and then marching them back. That is about a 4 month operation at least, looking closer to 6 or 7 months.

(in reply to Hirohito)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI