Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is anyone actually playing the game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is anyone actually playing the game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 6:08:42 AM   
KG Erwin

I have two long campaigns going on at present. The AARs are still active, as are other forum threads relating to SPWaW.

Do you remember this:-- "Stand up. Hook Up. Equipment Check. Go! Go! Go!...."

Post #: 1
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 7:44:42 AM   
m10bob

I'm sure you were referring to MCSE,but in the "quote" of a jumpers commands,you left out "Move to the door".
On the subject of military parlance,it is impossible to "Lock and load".
In truth,the order of sequence is to hammer the magazine into the magazine well,(to insure a good seat),and then to release the bolt,thereby "locking" for firing..
Inevitably,civilians will always say "Lock and load".
It's alright,I've even heard vets call a rifle a "gun"........(but not while they were "in".)
I play SPWAW approx 8 hours every week,since SP days.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 10/29/2004 12:53:04 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 7:45:14 AM   
BryanMelvin

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I have two long campaigns going on at present. The AARs are still active, as are other forum threads relating to SPWaW.

Do you remember this:-- "Stand up. Hook Up. Equipment Check. Go! Go! Go!...."

I have been playing Long Campaigns at this time

USA vs Axis 1942-1945 - completed
UK vs Axis 1939-1945 - on going
Gemany vs Allies 1943-1945 -completed

These ones I completed have been a blast to play and the current UK Long Campaign is too I made it to March 1945 in this one.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 2:13:42 PM   
robot

Oh yes i remember callin it a gun. After first time never made that mistake again. and yes i do play at least 3 to 4 hours every day. Some time even more if the boss doesnt have some thin for me to do.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 4
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 3:20:28 PM   
rrockw

I'm playing the LVMC and a long campaign from the german perspective... I also just updated a scenario I created a few months back.

Rich

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 5
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 4:00:18 PM   
parusski

AM I PLAYING IT??? HELL my wife thinks I have developed a mental problem becase I spend so much time playing. But really has her freaked out is my daughter. She is a very attractive 17 year old, loves football, basketball...and oh my GOD. She loves SPWAW. I told her she will make some man think he has died and gone to heaven when she marries him. But for now, I love to watch her play. She is a killer.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 6:25:00 PM   
Goblin

I am designing and writing right now, but still manage to play several hours a week. Mostly play scenarios and designed campaigns, as trouncing the AI after playing PBEM is boring as all heck to me. There are some exciting scenarios and designed campaigns though! I still play Long Long Road to Victory all the time.

Goblin

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 7
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 10:20:52 PM   
chief

Do I play the game, well let me see now.....I get up at 9AM read the papers, do the crosswords, kiss the wife, kick the cat, and head for the comp at about 11:00AM, check out my two forums till noon. Lunch, Then it gets serious, if I'm testing a scenario or playing against the AI (5.0 hours) then supper, back to SPwaw till 8PM (2hrs) then boss wants me in TV area till 11PM, then back to SPwaw (1hr) till midnight, recheck forums and return to SPwaw (1.5 hrs) till 2 AM. Now what was the question again....total time per day for gaming ~10.0 hours.

Yeah I guess I'm playing the game. Some days I really get to spend some real time on the game.

Tell me Abby do I need a life ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/29/2004 10:40:15 PM   
KG Erwin

Well, now that I'm free of my mod duties, I stay up WAY too late on work nights to indulge in playing. When you're immersed in this, time is suspended in your mind, but the ol' clock ticks on by seemingly faster. It is like all pleasurable experiences--they pass by in a heartbeat. As one grows older, the disconnect between the perception of days dragging on (say, at the workplace), and the seemingly shorter periods of weeks, months and even years grows wider. It is an odd phenomenon that all of us experience. I'm only 47, but this weird acceleration of time gets more pronounced with each successive birthday.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 9
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 7:12:08 AM   
magresh

I play one or two scenarios a month and have a long campaign going which I jump back into once a week for eight or ten hours. When thats done I start a new one. Then I have a mission in the megacampaigns to play at least once a week, again eight to ten hours. This routine has been going on with a few interruptions (Uncommon Valor,WITP, Combat Mission, Partying, Surfing) for over three years now.

I am 58 and know what you mean about the time acceleration thing. The thing about it is that it makes you appreciate and sort of narrow your focus on the things that you like most. There is a saying that when you are doing what you should, you lose track of time. That's not a bad thing in this day and age. That is one of the reasons I keep coming back to SPWAW.

I have never played against a human opponent, but I have read the AARs of yours and others. The scenarios that you guys keep making are one of the great treats that make the game larger than any game I know. Most of us play but we don't write in enough to tell you and Wild Bill and M4 and others how much we welcome your work. I have never met any of you but I feel like you guys are my old friends. Even like a kind of celebrity friend. I admire you guys. Keep up the excellent work if you can, but always play more.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 7:31:24 AM   
historyis

I am playing a 10-scenario Spanish Civil War campaign... and as the Republicans, I have almost taken the entire country back... so my next campaign is going to be a WWII campaign as Republican Spain vs. Italy and Germany. :)

(in reply to magresh)
Post #: 11
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 7:48:03 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: magresh

I have never played against a human opponent, but I have read the AARs of yours and others. The scenarios that you guys keep making are one of the great treats that make the game larger than any game I know. Most of us play but we don't write in enough to tell you and Wild Bill and M4 and others how much we welcome your work. I have never met any of you but I feel like you guys are my old friends. Even like a kind of celebrity friend. I admire you guys. Keep up the excellent work if you can, but always play more.

magresh, the celebrities are just regular guys, but they are extraordinarily talented, and some of them are close friends. I consider myself lucky to have worked with some of these guys. We are ALL part of the community , and here we are regarded as equals. We all share the love of the game, and guys like you inspire the designers to expand the envelope.

Thanks for your kind words.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/30/2004 12:51:05 AM >

(in reply to magresh)
Post #: 12
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 9:09:13 AM   
stevemk1a

I usually have about 4 or 5 pbem games going. Some guys reply within a few hours and some every week or so ... So it depends on what's in my inbox. I still play designer scenarios vs the AI, but not generated scenarios or campaigns (although I may give them a shot sometime).

I play the game every day!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 3:50:16 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

Do I play the game, well let me see now.....I get up at 9AM read the papers, do the crosswords, kiss the wife, kick the cat, and head for the comp at about 11:00AM, check out my two forums till noon. Lunch, Then it gets serious, if I'm testing a scenario or playing against the AI (5.0 hours) then supper, back to SPwaw till 8PM (2hrs) then boss wants me in TV area till 11PM, then back to SPwaw (1hr) till midnight, recheck forums and return to SPwaw (1.5 hrs) till 2 AM. Now what was the question again....total time per day for gaming ~10.0 hours.

Yeah I guess I'm playing the game. Some days I really get to spend some real time on the game.

Tell me Abby do I need a life ?

What a very understanding wife you have.

Im allowed max 2 hrs a day usually between 23 hrs to 02hrs. Any longer there will be a sulk on. Many arguments so far aswell.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 14
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 7:51:11 PM   
chief

Wodin: I'm fortunate that my lady does not like computers, but is an avid mystery reader. She enjoys authors from your country and that is her passion. Mine is reliving a piece of the period I grew up in. We both have other things in common but we both have our own hobbies.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 11:19:20 PM   
parusski

KG Erwin, my wife saw your post.

I must add another post. I don't really play this game. I live it. My wife comes into my computer room in order to talk with me or watch a movie. I have never had crack or coke, but my wife is a doctor and she says I and the rest of us on the board are addicted like addicts. I LOVED IT.

Gotta go, plaing......SPWAW.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/30/2004 11:50:04 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I must add another post. I don't really play this game. I live it. My wife comes into my computer room in order to talk with me or watch a movie. I have never had crack or coke, but my wife is a doctor and she says I and the rest of us on the board are addicted like addicts. I LOVED IT.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 17
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 10/31/2004 12:42:04 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Well, it isn't a perverse addiction--we just sit in front of our PCs, intent on wreaking destruction on our opponents, once in a while fiendishly cackling or muttering to ourselves, or cursing when one of our prized units gets knocked out.... uh, what was I saying?

The really scary thing is reading your own AARs. I've found myself writing about my battles while referring to myself in the third person, like Caesar was wont to do in his histories ("Col Erwin took matters into his own hands, and decided to personally visit the front...". )

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 18
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/5/2004 1:54:16 AM   
rbrunsman

Saturday is usually my day of rest. As in, I tend NOT to play on Saturdays. Otherwise, it's after work, before dinner and then again from 8 or 9 pm until 11pm to 2am. I hate those late nights! Is it a problem if you can't tear yourself away? Just one more turn...

I knew my girlfriend, now wife, was a keeper when she didn't complain about my habit.

rb

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 19
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/5/2004 2:36:19 AM   
VikingNo2

SPWAW IS GOOD

MORE SPWAW IS MORE GOOD

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 20
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/5/2004 2:53:33 AM   
Wild Bill

Still playing, almost one battle a day, either generated campaigns, scenarios, MCs, something. SPWAW is still alive and well here.

Probably never be another quite like it...but we'll see

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 21
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/5/2004 4:26:04 AM   
Sgt Popov

Every night, for at lest 2 hours, and more on weekends. I have bazillions of games (esp wargames) but ALWAYS play SP

- Sergeant, what should I do if my parachute won't open?
- Bring it back and I'll replace it.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/9/2004 12:55:28 AM   
11Bravo

Haven't played in a while...been playing WITP instead. But I'll be back!

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Sgt Popov)
Post #: 23
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/9/2004 1:51:15 AM   
parusski

I thought I should add more to my previous comment. I think about this game ALL the time. NO other game has ever gained my love more than this. I have never seen a game that can be re-played over and over. WE are her.

Come every one, speak up.

Dave

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/9/2004 8:59:07 AM   
Huffy

Yes,...my friend and I play against each other at least 2 games every Sun. . We hook up the LAN...and do it that way....but if anybody wants to chime in...we can play a game over the net....just PM me...and we'll get phone #'s and such....gotta love it...
take care,
Huffy

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 25
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/9/2004 4:02:07 PM   
Jackk

Yep, still poking along with it. I have less time these days but I manage a couple of PBEM turns a week and a MC battle every other week or so.

There is NO OTHER game that I have played so much or for so long. I've been on it since v1.0 and don't see an end in sight. I might as well make it part of my OS install routine. :)

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 26
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/9/2004 7:57:04 PM   
Riun T

Hello again fellow addictics,I've been busy with cutting and processing core samples for diamond exploration up here in saskatoon,but always use my lunch breaks to run homefor a bite and check the forums.My lady and I were just giggling at this thread because it's SOOOOOO relivant.She says we all need our own support/rehab group,I try to defend us by saying the forum IS our support group!. I've been muttering on the results of a generated British vs what ever the AI came up with from Feb/39 to wars end,and I was wondering why when u try to be in the time frame of battles like Hong Kong island, Singapore,or the first battles in the Phillipines, that the computer skips over these pinicle defence battles early in the war??The efforts of ALL the fellow Addicts I have met threw this game and the advice and assistance of those Septre's in Excellance, like GUNNY,Wild Bill,Goblin,and too many others that would fill the floor, I SALUTE U....

(in reply to Jackk)
Post #: 27
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/10/2004 12:03:05 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riun T

Hello again fellow addictics,I've been busy with cutting and processing core samples for diamond exploration up here in saskatoon,but always use my lunch breaks to run homefor a bite and check the forums.My lady and I were just giggling at this thread because it's SOOOOOO relivant.She says we all need our own support/rehab group,I try to defend us by saying the forum IS our support group!. I've been muttering on the results of a generated British vs what ever the AI came up with from Feb/39 to wars end,and I was wondering why when u try to be in the time frame of battles like Hong Kong island, Singapore,or the first battles in the Phillipines, that the computer skips over these pinicle defence battles early in the war??The efforts of ALL the fellow Addicts I have met threw this game and the advice and assistance of those Septre's in Excellance, like GUNNY,Wild Bill,Goblin,and too many others that would fill the floor, I SALUTE U....

Wow, thanks Riun!!

Goblin

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 28
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/10/2004 7:27:58 PM   
Belisarius

My SP gaming is on pilot flame right now. Got one massive PBEM with Jess going and am also participating in the Red Snow campaign, but unfortunately it doesn't get much more than that right now.

Still love it everytime I start it up though!

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 29
RE: Is anyone actually playing the game? - 11/11/2004 11:52:37 PM   
joki

KG
I played a lot some time ago( 2-4 hours a day) after work until late night/early morning , but have been away for a some time.
Now I back trying to catch up what I missed

Jonas

< Message edited by joki -- 11/11/2004 9:53:12 PM >

Matrix Games players - Divided by borders, united by the game !!

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is anyone actually playing the game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI