Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Galavanting Supply Convoys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Galavanting Supply Convoys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/15/2004 10:25:55 AM   
Desertmole

I'd like to know why some computer controlled transport convoys seem to go galavanting off into enemy territory. It is really annoying to be sending a supply convoy to Tulagi, and it takes a hard left and charges Rabaul! And of course, Rabaul just happens to have about 50 Vals standing by to sink it.

I have tried to reroute the convoys, taking them off computer control and even sending them back to Noumea, to no avail. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? These convoys seem to have a death wish (or are being seduced by the Dark Side of the Force [or Schwanz or something]).
Post #: 1
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/15/2004 12:07:17 PM   
Tuli Vapaa

I have seen this too! Routine convoy running suplies and fuel from Townsville to Port Moresby worked fine, until I managed to take Lae. At this point AI in his infinite wisdom, decided Lae's overland supply route wasn't enough, and sent 25 ship convoy to Salomon Sea. Without aircover! I got 1 TK and 1 MSW back intact. After this I haven't used AI's routineconvoys.

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 2
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/16/2004 5:40:31 AM   
rogueusmc

I never have gotten the AI to run convoys for me in a satisfactory manner. If ya want it done right, do it yourself is usually my way of thinking in most things.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 3
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/16/2004 5:56:13 AM   
spence

Well this is not the same thing but iI wonder if the mechanism might be the same.

I send 4 DDs on an FT mission to Lunga to pick up an eng unit there at the start of Scen 7. After one turn with the DDs just SW of Shortlands I get a sniff that the USN may be gonna show up about the same time as my DDs so I cancel the mission:
---convert homeport to Shortlands and hit Return to Shortlands button---well come the combat resolution phase of turn my 4 DDs and 6 USN cruisers plus DDs show up in Lunga.....not a happy day for the IJN. That was playing the AI.
Then in a PBEM game I try the same thing only this time it's to Tulagi. Same cancel the mission orders only this time I change homeport to Shortlands and issue destination orders to Shortlands...another unhappy day for the IJN cause the DDs run into a bunch of cruisers, etc and get creamed. (BAD, BAD--DON"T DO DAT NO MORE SPENCE--(slap, slap, slap)).
Anyway the DDs appear to be carrying out their original mission even though it's cancelled.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 4
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/16/2004 7:05:02 AM   
Desertmole

Last night I had a TF of 6 PTs decide to attack Rabaul, (complete with 2 BBs in port). Needless to say, there was no shortage of plywood matchsticks in Rabaul that day. The only reason I continue to use Routine Convoy is that I am late in Scen 17, and have ports and bases needing supplies in several locations at once. Managing all those convoys manually is a royal pain, and adds a good 10 minutes to each turn.

I once had a convoy of tankers decide to do rings around the Shortlands, as if begging to be bombed. I got frustrated after they sank most of them and the TF continued to circle, so I finally scuttled the whole thing (2 damaged TKs and an SC).

On the other hand, in a previous game, I watched a TF of Japanese cruisers decide to take up residence in the hex next to Vila, where I had a large airbase. My SBDs and B-25s knocked them into fish reefs over the course of the next week.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/17/2004 1:56:50 AM   
Denniss

I had problems with Routine Convoy,too because they seem to look after the base with the lowest supply and go or it regardless of range to move . I'm now working with Constand Supply convoys instead of Routine Convoys - the load supply from a given base and unload at another given base then go back and load again (fixed route) .

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 6
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/17/2004 10:25:31 AM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

I had problems with Routine Convoy,too because they seem to look after the base with the lowest supply and go or it regardless of range to move . I'm now working with Constand Supply convoys instead of Routine Convoys - the load supply from a given base and unload at another given base then go back and load again (fixed route) .

I reached the same conclusion, Dennis.

Unfortunately, Continuous Supply (CS) convoys are subject to this, too.
I'd yesterday a CS convoy from Noumea to Luganville, diverting by its own to Gili Gili, cause this base was low on supply.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 7
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/17/2004 1:37:11 PM   
Desertmole

Same here. Had one divert to Salamaua. I was moving Kanga Force from Wau to Lae by march. KF hit Salamaua, and a CS aimed at Vila did a "Hard-a-Port," I guess because there were no supplies there. Quite Frustrating! Thankfully, I already had Gasmata and had been bombing the snot out of Rabaul, so the Japanese had no bombers in range to do something about it.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 8
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/17/2004 7:37:07 PM   
crsutton

Repeat after me. Never, ever, ever, ever, let the AI manage your supply convoys. OK good, now repeat again. OK great. Now write it in a complete sentence 50 times and submit to me for corrections.

Good. You are now ready to proceed. Good luck and good hunting.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 9
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/18/2004 12:41:58 PM   
Denniss

A CS:xx convoy has a fixe route - if such a convoy is diverting to other bases low on supply I'd consider this a BUG .
-> Question : Was the CS:xxx target changed as well ?

< Message edited by Denniss -- 11/18/2004 11:41:38 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/18/2004 12:52:58 PM   
sabreman1966mcs

I have been using CS and Routine Convoys and have never yet had them divert to other bases or seen this happen. Guess I am just lucky

Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 11
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/18/2004 2:42:51 PM   
Resisti

quote:

No, still showing its original "CS:xxx" target, but heading somewhere else.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 12
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/18/2004 9:59:06 PM   
Denniss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Resisti

quote:

No, still showing its original "CS:xxx" target, but heading somewhere else.

Enemy aircraft/carriers or ships around the original target ?

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 13
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/19/2004 3:55:59 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Enemy aircraft/carriers or ships around the original target ?

No, but darn them, there were some, in the place my CS convoy decided to point to ;) :)

No, I think that it simply decided by its own that it had to bring supplies to another location more in need of them.

But I agree it shouldn't be this way: CS convoys are one of the best time-saver solutions of the game, and it's a pity you can't rely 100% on them.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 14
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/20/2004 8:47:34 AM   
Desertmole

Yeah, I have come to the same conclusion. I had some TFs bombing Truk, whose fuel was just about down by half. I had a group of tankers (TKs not AOs) decide to divert from Buka (my new fleet HQ) to fuel the TFs. I have never tried it. Can you do underway refueling from TKs or justs AOs?

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 15
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/22/2004 12:46:37 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Desertmole

Yeah, I have come to the same conclusion. I had some TFs bombing Truk, whose fuel was just about down by half. I had a group of tankers (TKs not AOs) decide to divert from Buka (my new fleet HQ) to fuel the TFs. I have never tried it. Can you do underway refueling from TKs or justs AOs?

Hi,

You can use either TK's or AO's to fuel underway. The AO's are more efficient at it though and generally cause fewer OPS points to be used.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 16
RE: Galavanting Supply Convoys - 11/24/2004 8:32:31 AM   
Blitzer

Hi,

Yes AOs are far more efficient at refueling at sea. Because of their greater capacity they are also much preferable for base replenishment and furthermore there are a limited number available, so it's really a tactical call on your part.

With respect to all the good tips presented here, I would redirect the discussion to crsutton's advice, namely to never leave routine convoys to the computer. The AI can perform a reasonable job on occasion, but it also makes grievous mistakes which a human with two dozen firing neurons would not even consider. It's best to accept that convoy management should become an integrated part of your turn, and you should therefore deal with it in the most careful and intelligent way possible.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Galavanting Supply Convoys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI