Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

japanese repairs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> japanese repairs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
japanese repairs - 11/17/2004 11:40:01 PM   
Mathusalem

My shokaku is badly damaged: 65 system damage. I try to repair it, in Osaka or Tokyo. I even let her alone in Tokyo Harbour, to let all repairing people work on her, I bring an AR Ship, but everything is useless. It stays at 65 %. How can I speed repairs ?
If I expand repair yards, do them stop functionning during repairs ?
Post #: 1
RE: japanese repairs - 11/17/2004 11:45:06 PM   
madflava13

Make sure there aren't other ships repairing in the same port. Also, check under the industry screen for your biggest ports - thats where to send heavily damaged ships. You can also put up to 4 ARs in the port to get the maximum repair rate. I believe having a Naval HQ in the base also adds some benefit...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Mathusalem)
Post #: 2
RE: japanese repairs - 11/17/2004 11:45:49 PM   
Bradley7735

Put her in the largest port (size 10) preferably with a repair yard. Put a Fleet HQ there as well. And put the AR ships there too. If you want to make sure that she gets priority from the repair yard, remove all other damaged ships and move them to another large port.

But, repairing a large CV will take time. You should probably see it drop by one point every other day or every third day. I bet it takes between 6 to 8 months to fully repair her.

(in reply to Mathusalem)
Post #: 3
RE: japanese repairs - 11/18/2004 1:22:10 AM   
Zeta16

I always put my ships in the ports south of Osaka. They have huge repair yards. I got a carieer from around 40 to 0 in like 2 months

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 4
RE: japanese repairs - 11/18/2004 2:39:29 AM   
Alikchi2

Also, make sure the ship is disbanded, not just docked in port.

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 5
RE: japanese repairs - 11/18/2004 1:54:32 PM   
Captain Cruft

Practically speaking:-

Okayama (size 8, 104 rep yards) and Maizuru (size 8, 110 rep yards) are the places to go, plus build Maizuru to size 9.

Theoretically speaking:-

You can get 0, 1 or 2 sys damage points reduced per turn.

1) Ports without a repair shipyard can reduce 1 sys damage per turn or do nothing based on a die roll. The higher the port size the more chance of the die coming up as 1.
2) Ports with a repair shipyard may reduce an additional point of sys damage if there are local repair points available equal to the durability of the ship in question. This only happens if the generic port size die roll has already come up as a 1.

Having an AR present simply increases the port size by 1. I'm not sure if this applies in a size 9 port though (size 10 is supposed to represent an order of magnitude difference in facilities).

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 6
RE: japanese repairs - 11/18/2004 7:46:44 PM   
PeteG662

I saw in another post about one port in China that, if the repair yard was expanded, did better than some of the ports in Japan......was it Shanghai?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 7
RE: japanese repairs - 11/19/2004 1:18:46 PM   
Captain Cruft

Shanghai starts with repair yard of 90 and can be built to port size 9. Not quite as good as Maizuru but close.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 8
RE: japanese repairs - 11/19/2004 2:17:50 PM   
tsimmonds

Shanghai is for sure a more convenient location than Maizuru.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 9
RE: japanese repairs - 11/19/2004 6:21:13 PM   
Xargun

Don't forget Hong Kong... You will capture it with around 25 repair yards and it can also be built into a size 9 port. Right now I have a couple ships in HK (size 30 repair yard right now) and they both repaired 2 points last turn - a PC and a ML.. Nothing major, but still useful ships.

I recommend expanding HK to at least 50 (or so depending on what you capture it as) and then even down the road you can expand it again depending on your damages.

Also don't forget about Singapore when you capture it... Same thing there.

Xargun

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 10
RE: japanese repairs - 11/19/2004 9:06:18 PM   
PeteG662

In regards to Shanghai, another poster said they expanded the repair yard a bit and that is where the BBs and CVs were sent because it appeared to repair faster than SIMILAR ports in Japan proper.....unsure of the reasons, just knew there seemed to be a difference where they repaired faster!

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 11
RE: japanese repairs - 11/19/2004 11:41:17 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

In regards to Shanghai, another poster said they expanded the repair yard a bit and that is where the BBs and CVs were sent because it appeared to repair faster than SIMILAR ports in Japan proper.....unsure of the reasons, just knew there seemed to be a difference where they repaired faster!

One of the reasons for it appearing faster is that a lot of the good ports in Japan with high repair yards are only size 5 or 6 at game start - you need to expand those to size 9 as soon as possible - starting on turn 1. I also send capital ships to japan for repair as they have the best repair yards AND is the safest area in the game for japan - only have to worry about subs - it would be a brave / foolish allied player who would bring a TF within striking distance of japan - until the allies have superior air power...

I personally use Hong Kong and Shanghai for merchies and small combat ships - PCs, PGs and MLs... I also use them for layover points to repair flt damage before sending ships to japan for real repairs... - Never had a game go much beyond the point of me capturing Singapore yet, so I cannot comment on its use...

Xargun

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 12
RE: japanese repairs - 11/20/2004 1:28:48 AM   
2ndACR

Singapore is best used for "normal repairs" only. Combat damage greater than 10 should be sent to the rear. Hudson raids can be a pain at Singapore.

Even Hong Kong is not really safe until all the close Chinese bases are captured. Shanghai I use mainly for AP's, AK's, TK's. The main ports in Japan (those with huge repair ports) are best used for CV's, BB's, CA's. The smaller repair ports (size 20-50) are best used for DD's, CL's.

I return some of the far flung naval HQ's to Japan to keep in some of the larger repair ports and when AR's are available I begin placing them there too.

You may have to shuffle ships around after awhile though. I try to only have 1-2 major combatant in each of the large repair ports. 4 DD's in any of the smaller ports. Also beware the upgrade of ships. Nothing like keeping ships in forward areas only to find out they are due much needed upgrades. Rotate them back to get them.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 13
RE: japanese repairs - 11/20/2004 6:57:39 AM   
madflava13

It's also a nice idea to change some AKs over to ARs immediately. Once built, as the allies I like to have 4 in Noumea, Pearl, somewhere in N. Oz and then Derby or Perth. As Japan, I recommend 4 each in Truk, Palau, Singapore and maybe one other place (Soerabaja maybe?) - this way your battle damaged ships get to those ports first... Get fires and flood under control and maybe get a little repaired so they can travel faster. Then send them back to the rear to be made whole again.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 14
RE: japanese repairs - 11/22/2004 4:11:56 PM   
ElvisDaKing

Should the AR in a TF be docked in harbour or you can let them disbanded to benefit from them…..?

< Message edited by ElvisDaKing -- 11/22/2004 5:43:22 PM >

'To my point, in war, there s just one attractive thing : the victory Parade... What sucks, it s all the things before.... We should get the enlist payroll and do the parade right away, before that it get totally screwed up'
Un Taxi pour Tobrouk

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 15
RE: japanese repairs - 11/22/2004 6:31:31 PM   
worr

Large ships need to go to harbours with large repair yards, not Hong Kong or Singapore. Read the rule about durability less than repair yard points.

Worr, out

(in reply to ElvisDaKing)
Post #: 16
RE: japanese repairs - 11/22/2004 7:33:11 PM   
PeteG662

Guys,

I understand the concept of larger ports and larger repair yards.....my comment above was that a poster commented that repairs proceeded QUICKER in Shanghai than in the home islands ports and they were approximately equal in repair and in port size. I have not had time to run a test to see whether this is accurate or just a bunch of good "dice rolls" but if someone else has time to take a stab at it feel free.

Pete

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 17
RE: japanese repairs - 11/22/2004 7:39:21 PM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisDaKing

Should the AR in a TF be docked in harbour or you can let them disbanded to benefit from them…..?

Disbanded in port.

(in reply to ElvisDaKing)
Post #: 18
RE: japanese repairs - 11/23/2004 12:15:44 PM   
ElvisDaKing

ok, thks

'To my point, in war, there s just one attractive thing : the victory Parade... What sucks, it s all the things before.... We should get the enlist payroll and do the parade right away, before that it get totally screwed up'
Un Taxi pour Tobrouk

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 19
RE: japanese repairs - 11/23/2004 2:22:35 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Singapore is best used for "normal repairs" only. Combat damage greater than 10 should be sent to the rear. Hudson raids can be a pain at Singapore.

Even Hong Kong is not really safe until all the close Chinese bases are captured. Shanghai I use mainly for AP's, AK's, TK's. The main ports in Japan (those with huge repair ports) are best used for CV's, BB's, CA's. The smaller repair ports (size 20-50) are best used for DD's, CL's.

Having Flashbacks, Dave?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 20
RE: japanese repairs - 11/23/2004 2:23:59 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Guys,

I understand the concept of larger ports and larger repair yards.....my comment above was that a poster commented that repairs proceeded QUICKER in Shanghai than in the home islands ports and they were approximately equal in repair and in port size. I have not had time to run a test to see whether this is accurate or just a bunch of good "dice rolls" but if someone else has time to take a stab at it feel free.

Pete

Kinda sucks when 10th AF B 17s smack a few holes in the ships you have spent so much time and effort on though.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 21
RE: japanese repairs - 11/23/2004 4:21:21 PM   
PeteG662

Depends on when 10th AF is on station and where.....

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 22
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 3:07:34 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Everyone keeps mentioning throwing AR ships into the port. Do not forget that an AR can help up to 4 ships and increases the effective port size by one, while an AS, AD, or PT tender give a bonus of two to the port size while helping up to two ships.

Definitely not a bonus to be taken lightly, especially since you can throw an AS into a size 8 port to repair at size 10 effectiveness. It's all there on p.183 under 13.4 Ship Repairs.

(in reply to Mathusalem)
Post #: 23
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 3:54:59 AM   
2ndACR

But AS repair submarines only, AD's are DD's only. AR's are just about everybody.

Ron,

Hell yes I am having flashbacks.

Tally,

The B17's start arriving on turn 2 in China. They are coming from the PI and anywhere else Ron can grab them from. So just about every port in range of Chinese bases is no longer safe after turn 2.

(in reply to seydlitz_slith)
Post #: 24
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 5:32:19 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

But AS repair submarines only, AD's are DD's only. AR's are just about everybody.

Ron,

Hell yes I am having flashbacks.

Tally,

The B17's start arriving on turn 2 in China. They are coming from the PI and anywhere else Ron can grab them from. So just about every port in range of Chinese bases is no longer safe after turn 2.

I did not mind doing the damage to those ships but it is just too easy! Hitting ships in port needs to be tweaked down some I think. Getting all those mag explosions was fun too but totally overdone. Magazine penetrations could use either a reduction to 1-2% from the current 4% or go with a system which I proposed based on the Advanced Rules for Avalon Hill's Bismarck. Basically keep the 4% chance for a magazine hit but have this 4%chance be the qualifier for the actual roll based on ship type.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 25
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 7:23:48 AM   
Bison Frontier

Is there a fixed number of days required for a ship to undergo an upgrade, or is it variable depending on class/type of ship?

Post #: 26
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 7:49:14 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bison Frontier

Is there a fixed number of days required for a ship to undergo an upgrade, or is it variable depending on class/type of ship?

Somewhat variable.

(in reply to Bison Frontier)
Post #: 27
RE: japanese repairs - 12/6/2004 7:58:51 AM   
Bison Frontier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bison Frontier

Somewhat variable.

Thanks Ron, now when you say "variable" are we talking a few days, a few weeks or even longer?

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> japanese repairs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI