Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/14/2004 5:37:38 AM   
spence

According to the "Exciting Update" there is gonna be another patch to UV at some unspecified time. Anybody out there have any pet peeves and/or wishes they'd like to see included.

I've only played v2.30 and there are only a couple of bugs that I personally have encountered that I'd like to put on the list.

1) Fix the carrier "ghost squadron" bug (Claudes for the IJN, A-20s for the USN).
2) I'm not really sure how this occurs but sometimes when one forms a transport TF and loads troops you end up with enemy troops on your transports. They don't seem to really be there but if you just leave them alone then the transports don't load anything at all.

Then there's some OOB corrections I like to see in a few of the long (no Midway) scenarios - at least on the USN side.
1) Maybe this happened in real life but I am extremely skeptical: a Marine fighter squadron (VMF212) got the latest model fighter before VF3 or VF42??? The F4F4 had folding wings for use on carriers - just doesn't seem right that a land based Marine squadron woulda gotten them before all CVs had their share. It's a well known fact of the US military that the USMC gets the "2nd draft pick" when it comes to equipment.
2) Scenario 16 begins July 1st and there should be a change in the equipment of
the Lexington and Yorktowns fighter squadrons to F4F4s. The postulate is that no carrier battles have taken place so what happened to the 120 F4F4 replacements from May and June. Yorktown had F4F4s historically at Midway at the beginning of June after all. I believe the initial TOE for the reequipped VFs called for 27 F4F4s and then was increased to 36. The US CVs should all have 27 F4F4s at the start of Scenario 16.
3) For Scenarios 15 and 16 it seems kinda odd that none of the Army squadrons have any more planes or pilots or any better experience than they have in scen 17 even though theoretically they've had one or two months extra time to accumulate replacements and conduct some training. Same goes for the IJN LBA. Some upgrading of the initial forces seems in order.
4) Since the US intelligence was able historically to make a real good guess as to which way the IJN was gonna go in the early summer of 42 it would seem that the US and Allies would have had the opportunity to shift some added reinforcements from the Central Pacific to the South Pacific in the 2 months before Scen 16 begins. I'm not that knowledgeable about the period but the 4th Defense Battalion was sent to reinforce Midway just prior to the battle along with 2 companies of the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion so those two units appear to have been available in the appropriate time frame.
5) Since the premise for Scen 16 is that Japan determines to go whole hog in the South Pacific it seems that they're a bit light on Army troops. Another Division becoming available fairly soon after the beginning of the scenario and maybe 2 more in late 1942 and early 1943. Don't know what units might have been available.

At any rate those are a few thoughts of mine. Sorta think that anything we players would like to see ought to get out in the open soon so that when this patch happens it does what needs doing.
Post #: 1
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/14/2004 5:23:29 PM   
rogueusmc

Things didn't move very fast at sea. Might have taken two weeks to a month just to get shipping to the troops locations...loading time...then a good month to cruise to the South Pacific.

and the replacement planes and pilots would take at least a month to make the trip to the South Pacific.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/15/2004 10:18:24 AM   
Desertmole

I'll second the vote about the ghost squadrons. It gets annoying when you shift an air group back to a carrier, and find the ghost squadron prevents the last squadron from shifting.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/16/2004 5:40:12 AM   
Nomad

Two bugs I would like to see fixed.

1. The Japanese float plane pilot problem, I hate it when a max size 9 squadron had 78 pilots and 50 of them are 90+ experience.

2. the bug that prevents you from bombing an enemy airfield or port if you have LCUs in the same hex.

Of course I want to see the ghost squadron thing fixed also.

(in reply to Desertmole)
Post #: 4
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/17/2004 7:39:48 PM   
crsutton

My understanding is that there will be a few bug fixes and that is pretty much that. Don't expect OOB changes or scenario modifications. Almost all effort will go into WITP.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 5
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/18/2004 10:05:31 AM   
Resisti

To add to this list, I'm copy/pasting from a previous post of mines:

-The game doesn't retain the side your playing with, when you open a saved game: boring, if you play the Jap and forget to turn the "computer playing as allied" switch;
- You cannot access the scenario's briefing once you're in the scenario: does it never happen to you not to remember when the scenario will end ??
- It would be a helpful tool, to have a toggle to add the hexes coordinates on map.

< Message edited by Resisti -- 11/18/2004 9:05:52 AM >

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/19/2004 8:27:49 AM   
pad152

I working editor for this game would be nice

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 7
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/19/2004 1:23:53 PM   
CatLord

I would have like a historical 1 May 42 - Dec 43 long campaign.

All the ones available are ahistorical, or they all begin after Coral Sea.

Cat

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 8
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/19/2004 1:28:57 PM   
sabreman1966mcs

quote:

ORIGINAL: CatLord

I would have like a historical 1 May 42 - Dec 43 long campaign.

All the ones available are ahistorical, or they all begin after Coral Sea.

Cat

There is one over at Spooky's Site, it was done by Black Cat. I'm playing it at the moment after a long break.

Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to CatLord)
Post #: 9
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/19/2004 3:38:48 PM   
mapie500

Where can I find "Spooky's site"?

(in reply to sabreman1966mcs)
Post #: 10
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/19/2004 3:59:01 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: mapie500

Where can I find "Spooky's site"?

http://mathubert.free.fr/

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to mapie500)
Post #: 11
RE: The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list - 11/20/2004 8:55:53 AM   
Desertmole

I'd like the CS/Routine Convoy problem fixed. This seems to be a bug, when the computer decides to send a convoy galavanting in harm's way (see my thread on Galavanting Convoys). What bothers me about it is that the routing always seems to take the convoy to within close range of an enemy airbase or TF loaded with a large number of shipkillers. I have also noticed that later in a scenario (I'm in Aug 43 of scen 17) CS and Routine convoys return to home port and seemingly, go on strike. Even though they report that they are CS or Routine, you have to go in and manually order them to move out to the base they are to support. Otherwise, they fill up and will sit there, in the homeport, for days.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The next (maybe last) Patch - a wish list Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI