Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Legion Gold, Gates of Troy, Spartan & Chariots of War >> Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/26/2004 9:48:41 AM   
Alex Fiedler

"Slitherine's Gates of Troy is an epic turn based strategy game that covers the Trojan Wars, and lets the player take control of mighty heroes such as Achilles and Hector and allows you to assault the Gates of Troy and build the Trojan horse."

Please feel free to discuss this great new game coming to Matrix Games.
Post #: 1
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/26/2004 1:20:37 PM   
IainMcNeil

Yes indeed :)

We're really pleased with this opportunity to work with Matrix to bring Gates of Troy to the American market. Although we're really busy working on Legion Arena and monitring our own forums we'll do our best to pop in and answer any questions you might have here as well!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Alex Fiedler)
Post #: 2
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/26/2004 2:51:52 PM   
Hanal

How many games are you guys going to force me to buy?!!!.......

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 10/26/2004 10:30:32 AM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 3
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/26/2004 3:09:43 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

Understand Slitherine sold out its first production run of Gates of Troy.

Well deserved, I might add.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 12:27:13 AM   
freeboy

I have Spartan, and to be quite honest it comes in a distant second to RTW,(Rome) is Gates of troy an upgrade to Spartan, or a completely new engine?

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 5
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 1:51:19 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I have Spartan, and to be quite honest it comes in a distant second to RTW,(Rome) is Gates of troy an upgrade to Spartan, or a completely new engine?

Hi!

I own Shogun and Medieval Total War. When it came to a decision between which game I would buy, Spartan or RTW, I went with the innovator... Slitherine.

From what I've read about RTW, I made the right decision.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 8:42:41 AM   
freeboy

well, all the poo poo ing about rtw is crap, it is the greatest game in the series , onlyu flaw is the neat combat is wwwwaaaayyy too fast, which bodes well to patchability.. is that a word. I truly love 4x games, explore build develope and conquer.. did I get that right? This might be the bst one ever.. so back to my ?, is got an upgrade or a new engine.

btw I have not heard anything exceipt from poeple seeing the demo, try rtw,, if you like to build empires it rules....
My current game as the hellinistic Greaks is amazing... as I try to expand those pesky Romans keep showing up, and as I turn my attention to them the Egyptions are a menace.

oops the Gauls just fell, but to whom? I hope it wasn't one of the
Roman factions!!!

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 7
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 11:12:24 AM   
IainMcNeil

Abolutely RTW is a great game, but it does offer something a bit different to Spartan & gates of Troy. They focus on battles while we focus on the campaign. Their battles are better than ours & our campaign is better than theirs. You might even notice ideas from Legion & Chariots of War appearing in their latest campaign game :)

Our lead programmer was flying to Canada a few months ago and was on the same plane as the Activision producer for RTW and they play our games and know what they're about, just like we play their games :)

It all depends what you're looking for. RTW is great fun, but Spartan & Gates of Troy are a bit more serious, have more depth and are more historically accurate. I don't see a problem - just buy both :)

< Message edited by Iain McNeil -- 10/27/2004 10:46:33 AM >

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 12:25:16 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

Hi!

If you have Spartan, then you have access to their forums and of course you know the answer to your own question. Of course it uses the same engine.

Or are we here to actually "dis" the game and play RTW fanboy?

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 12:56:48 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Their battles are better than ours

Hi!

Nice diplomatic response Iain.

However, I have played at least 2 games from each series and I must disagree.

I own Shogun and Medieval TW. The tactical battles in these games basically are clickfests which are about as historical as "Axis and Allies" is to WWII. Having the "pause" button there also really helps (wonders if Trajan had a pause button?). Hey, if you like that kind of thing, great! But after awhile I got totally bored by it. I'm not saying that the game isn't fun, I enjoyed the TW series, but mostly for its strategy.

Legion and Spartan (which I also own) use a completely different type of format. Here the emphasis is on pre-battle planning, which is far and away a better historical representation. Once the battle starts it plays out automactically as you would expect in the ancient world. I realize that there is a lot of pressure to allow the player more flexibility and control. Okay, yes maybe some, but the people who like these games like them because there is no pause button and because it is an excellent "historical" representation.

Overall, I found with the TW series by mid campaign I was just having the computer resolve combat because it was just too repetitive, time comsuming and to be quite honest.. boring (at least for me). With Slitherine's engine, the battles are fast and furious (thus having far less impact on the strategic part of the game... which is nice since its a strategy game not a tactical battle game) and I have found that unlike TW, I perfer to play every battle, right to the bitter end.

The games are different. The emphasis is different. It's a win-win situation for the players.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 10
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 8:03:11 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Interesting looking game. This is a case of a demo getting my interest....

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 11
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/27/2004 9:12:50 PM   
freeboy

Sorry guys if my answer was at all reactionary... I like the elements of planning and developing that each game has.. rtw does have agreat deal of combat planning as different units each are a little different in abilities and weaknesses as well as terrain and weather coming into play. I feel free to add my ideas here, even though I do own Spartan and almmost all the Matrix titles and am a tester fo ggwaw, It is a shame "serious" wargamers discount RTW. I have my answer, Spartan is the same engine as Gates, and many will find it a very enjoyable game and I in no way mean to diminish it.Last year we where really pressed for titles, now we are not, with the new BIN, WITP, Alexander.. etc etc
BTW I didn't go to the "other " forum because I was here, and this was the place this game was being discussed.
My real reason was to see how much "better different neater" was the new product as I percieve it up against some tough competition...
thanks

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 12
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/28/2004 12:05:34 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

well, all the poo poo ing about rtw is crap, it is the greatest game in the series , onlyu flaw is the neat combat is wwwwaaaayyy too fast, which bodes well to patchability.. is that a word. I truly love 4x games, explore build develope and conquer.. did I get that right? This might be the bst one ever.. so back to my ?, is got an upgrade or a new engine.

btw I have not heard anything exceipt from poeple seeing the demo, try rtw,, if you like to build empires it rules....
My current game as the hellinistic Greaks is amazing... as I try to expand those pesky Romans keep showing up, and as I turn my attention to them the Egyptions are a menace.

oops the Gauls just fell, but to whom? I hope it wasn't one of the
Roman factions!!!

Have you tried the mods? (Sorry to discuss this in here, so I will be brief). PM me if you need directions, but there are a whole series slowing unit movement on the battlefield, slowing down the casualties in melee, making the Spartans look (unhistorical) but a lot tougher.

I thought the game was a huge disappointment as it shipped, but I am back in the fold following the mods. I wouldn't play it without them.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/28/2004 1:45:20 AM   
freeboy

lets take rtw stuff elsewhere ..

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 14
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/30/2004 1:38:29 AM   
TheHellPatrol

Looks awesome, Legion Gold is still on my hard drive after all this time. I'm glad to see Slitherine and Matrix put their heads together...great minds think alike.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/30/2004 1:56:32 AM   
Clipper1968

I was really disappointed by Legion.I found it was not historical at all!Seemed like an historical context has just been applied to the game!Moreover the battles were so confused...
I hope this sequel will be better and I will give it a look.
What is the difference between Legion and Legion Gold???more scen?more units?

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 16
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 10/30/2004 3:12:07 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pumba1968

I was really disappointed by Legion.I found it was not historical at all!Seemed like an historical context has just been applied to the game!Moreover the battles were so confused...
I hope this sequel will be better and I will give it a look.
What is the difference between Legion and Legion Gold???more scen?more units?
An extra campaign as well as some other goodies...

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Clipper1968)
Post #: 17
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 11/10/2004 5:08:03 PM   
jhdeerslayer

When is this available?

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 18
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 11/21/2004 5:50:21 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

When is this available?

Hopefully it we be available soon. SPARTAN is a very good game - I enjoy it more than RTW - and GATES OF TROY promises to take SPARTAN to the next level.

Slitherine has also announced LEGION II, which will be an enhanced LEGION GOLD with all the SPARTAN/GoT innovations and a bunch of exciting new features. I'm really looking forward to it. Details are at the Slitherin website at http://www.slitherine.co.uk/GameIndex.htm and in the Slitherine forums at http://slitherine.aimoo.com/, check them out.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 19
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 11/21/2004 8:46:27 PM   
Genisis

I bought Gates of Troy direct from Slitherine a couple of months ago, and it's a damned fine game. And bloody hard if your too lazy to use the diplomats.
We need to support the small developers because that,s where the best wargames have always come from.

Buy British, you know it makes sense.

Put it away it might rain!

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 20
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 11/22/2004 1:11:43 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Genisis
Buy British, you know it makes sense.

I was with you right up until that last line... :)

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Genisis)
Post #: 21
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 12/8/2004 11:11:05 PM   
JDM

Its not as bad as you think, there is a strong Scottish contingent at Slitherine :-)

Regards
JDM

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 22
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 12/9/2004 3:36:29 AM   
Hanal

So as I quicky look over the game, I presume that all of the earlier scenarios, from the #4 the "Sandbox" through Scenario 12, are only available to you if you have the game SPARTAN?

(in reply to JDM)
Post #: 23
RE: Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! - 12/9/2004 3:49:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

JP,

That's right, those slots are for the Spartan scenarios.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Legion Gold, Gates of Troy, Spartan & Chariots of War >> Welcome to "Gates of Troy" Forums! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI