Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/29/2004 5:53:03 PM   
poerr

Gentlemen,

Can I ask you guys to help me out with some advice?

On December 7, I am going to start the grand campaign against the AI from the Japanese side. I have been playing until now on the Allied side, where I have restarted the campaign several times with patches etc. Now I think things are just about as stable as they are going to get, so I figure time to settle into the grand campaign for real and I wanted ask your guys for a little guidance in some areas (see below). I will be playing the AI as I have limited free time with work/family so I would not be the timeliest PBEM opponent… Also, I have been really intimidated with the complexities of industry, resource, and production from the Japanese side and a little hesitant to settle into the long campaign as a result. I have been spending some time reading this advice on these boards, but here are my questions:

What Mods are the best to use with the game (have been to Spooky’s site)? What do you folks recommend? What helps out, adds atmosphere, etc?

What do you folks recommend for helping to increase the understanding of the Japanese production, resource, and research?

Do you recommend I use a modified grand campaign scenario – like Tanaka’s, with alterations to allow me to adjust for Japanese research and production? What is the best campaign scenario to run for the Japanese – long campaign wise?

Is there a detailed description of the first move for the Japanese that I can use to save some time on the setup of turn one?

Should I modify the pilot pool for the Japanese Navy/Army or any experience ratings? No intent to start a discussion on this, but what is reasonable here?

How many days per turn do you folks recommend to make the game length manageable – what do you recommend or use?

How many of you use Mogami’s training approach and how hard or tedious do you find it? Any tricks to keeping things straight around this that you might recommend?

Basically, I just wanted to see if I could ask you guys to help me setup the best choice for a long Japanese grand campaign, with all the bells and whistles, so that I am making the optimal use of my game play time.

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

Russ
Post #: 1
RE: Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/29/2004 6:56:15 PM   
2ndACR

I play Lemurs 4.0 mod or used too any way. Have not looked at Tanaka's yet, no time for it.

There are alot of things that need to be done concerning Japan, but that depends on the scenario you are playing. Every one of them have different upgrade paths etc.

Playing against the AI, you really do not need to do anything major to industry production.

You will find the pilot drain for IJN pilots pretty hard to overcome, even by being very restrictive on replacements. But you might as well get used to it and learn how to overcome it.

Mogami's method is okay, but you will learn to hate the 90 day delay to reform the air unti for training.

Against the AI, you really do not want to go too far outside the "box". It will get confused and either go into a death spiral or basically "lockup".

(in reply to poerr)
Post #: 2
RE: Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/29/2004 8:41:10 PM   
poerr

Bump.

Thanks 2ndACR. Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks,

Russ

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/29/2004 8:59:04 PM   
ancient doctor

Well the interesting about real strategy games is that they are(or should)allow you to take desicions and see the result by yourself.so the best way to find out what-how-when etc is to try it.
Now from what i have seen Mogami's programm for training pilots and regrouping is probably the only reliable solution unless you do some serious editing.If you manage to plan your operatios in a way to match your capacity then it will be more or less easy.After all that is the basics.Planing ahaid as much as possible.As for mods.Well 1st play the game in a "vanilla" sort of way to see how it works and then try something different.Atleast that is what i whould do.

(in reply to poerr)
Post #: 4
RE: Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/29/2004 10:36:45 PM   
MengCiao

Fixing the Jap Pilot problem isn't so hard -- just make your own scenario and set their pilots the same as the USN and one half the US Army.

I'm starting a PBEM game now against a Japan we are calling "the Heavy Japs"...they have an extra carrier with radar, Yak-1s with Kawasaki engines, an armored Betty and a twin-engine fighter bomber based on the Lily for shooting down B17s.

These Japs are heavy, man.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 5
RE: Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please - 11/30/2004 6:51:17 AM   
poerr

Bump. Anyone else have any comments?

Thanks,

Russ

(in reply to MengCiao)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Advise on Japanese Grand Campaign Please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI