Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Running Out of Ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Running Out of Ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Running Out of Ideas - 12/2/2004 1:26:21 AM   
KaiserWilly

Okay, we've talked about best generals, worst generals, movies, books. What else can we talk about while awaiting some news of the game's release or website?????

My moustache is turning gray during the wait, and before you know it will be 1916 and I'll have to turn in my Pickelhaube Helmet for a new steel one....lol

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/2/2004 2:01:09 AM   
Clipper1968

Best tanks...best aircraft...best ship...best submarine...best rifle...gun...etc...
Just some idea...

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to KaiserWilly)
Post #: 2
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/3/2004 2:26:00 AM   
Hanal

Best WWI Documentary!...for me it's the 1960's CBS documentary World War I (duh?) which was narrated by the actor Robert Ryan..a close second was the 6 hour PBS documentary The Great War...both need to see the DVD light of day...

(in reply to Clipper1968)
Post #: 3
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/3/2004 3:23:56 AM   
FrankHunter

How about best WW1 boardgame and why? I think I've tried them all but would like to hear other opinions.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/3/2004 6:19:03 AM   
Hanal

Guns of August from Avalon Hill was a good game...it did a decent job of simulating the attrition on the Western Front and the more open Russian Front...I also enjoyed Diplomacy, though it was an abstract representation of the war, it was fun to play if you could manage to get hold of six other players.....SPI's tactical game of the Battle of Cambrai was very good, especially the use of the armor units....

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 5
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/3/2004 6:51:57 AM   
FrankHunter

Ever tried any of the Ted Raicer games such as Great War in Command 33 or All Quiet on the Western Front? Or La Grande Guerre from Azure Wish? Or even the old SPI games on WW1, the little one and the War in Europe version?

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 6
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/4/2004 6:38:53 AM   
CSSS

Best WWI board game? Two actually Azure's La Grand Gerrue 1914-1918 Hands down winner.Fatal Alliances by GDW and SPI's monter WWI

(in reply to KaiserWilly)
Post #: 7
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/4/2004 7:04:49 PM   
SirRodneyOfGout

I played several of SPIs WWI games way back when. The S&T First World War had an interesting system, I seem to recall a CTR where you could expend points representing manpower / armaments for losses rather than retreat. And declaring an overall status for each front (similar to Third Reich): offensive, defensive, etc. I don't have a copy and haven't played it for, hmm, decades :) so could be wrong in these details.

The first WWI SPI game I played was 1918, and was always impressed by the supply/artillery system which consumed supply units, esp. on the offensive. Forced the German player to think ahead as to where the offensive should focus late in the game. Not a bad game for its time, and also similar enough to the horde of WW2 operational games SPI had out that players otherwise unfamiliar with WWI could play and feel at home with a relatively mobile situation rather than stuck in trench warfare.

And I second JP Falcon's nod to SPIs To The Green Fields Beyond. A great game on Cambrai; I wish someone would do this on PC (the scale of TOAW just doesn't do it justice).

Cheers

"Consult the book of armaments!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post #: 8
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/6/2004 8:11:08 AM   
FrankHunter

Actually I never tried SPI's WW1 game although I had read a review in Fire and Movement which mentioned how you could lose manpower for losses at the front. Did the game "work"?

Another series I should have mentioned was the Der Weltkrieg series (the one with the weird hexes). I only tried Schlieffen Plan, anyone try any of the east front games?

(in reply to SirRodneyOfGout)
Post #: 9
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 12/6/2004 5:11:01 PM   
SirRodneyOfGout

Re: S&T 51 WWI, Did the game "work"?

I thought it modelled the situation fairly well, but could never find anyone interested in playing it, so only solitaired it. Web Grognards site has a much more thorough description, and some post play analysis at http://grognard.com/reviews/spiww1.txt

Whets the appetite even more for GoA.

"Consult the book of armaments!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post #: 10
RE: Running Out of Ideas - 4/18/2005 11:32:16 AM   
Vyshka

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Guns of August from Avalon Hill was a good game...it did a decent job of simulating the attrition on the Western Front and the more open Russian Front...I also enjoyed Diplomacy, though it was an abstract representation of the war, it was fun to play if you could manage to get hold of six other players.....SPI's tactical game of the Battle of Cambrai was very good, especially the use of the armor units....

Speaking of Diplomacy and finding players, have you ever tried playing a game online through one of the diplomacy
judges? The judge automates the running of the game sending emails to the players. Good way to play if you can't find
enough ppl.

For World War I games, I think the only one I have played is Paths of Glory. I remember there being Guns of August by
AH, but never got a chance to play it.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Running Out of Ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI