Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Steel 1.5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel 1.5 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/14/2004 4:22:54 AM   
drwho007

Where can I find Russian Steel 1.5? At I have a new computer system and I need to download it to my new drive.

Thank's
drwho007

Jab
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/14/2004 5:15:21 AM   
Orzel Bialy

I have the Russian Steel files on my HD...however if you have SP:WaW 8.2 then Russian Steel will overwrite the Yhangtze River Campaign since they both take up the same campaign slot (#22). You would have to go in and either store Yhangtze in a seperate file or rename all the files c023xxx...which would be a lot of work.

I also don't believe Russian Steel was ever updated for 8.2 so I can't promise that there won't be some issues.

If you want me to email the files to you just send me a note to Orzelbialy1939@aol.com and I will mail them to you.

(in reply to drwho007)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/16/2004 3:35:18 AM   
M4Jess

I could use the camp ....

thanks!

Katzkiller01@Aol.com

Thanks!

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/16/2004 4:04:19 AM   
Sgt Popov

I have played it--VERY NICE!!!
We need more Russkie campaigns

- Sergeant, what should I do if my parachute won't open?
- Bring it back and I'll replace it.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/16/2004 1:53:37 PM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Hi!

I lost the campaign when my hard drive ended his existence in this world...

Could you please send the campaign to

roland.rahn@cityweb.de ?

Thanks in advance,

Roland

Post #: 5
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/16/2004 6:53:07 PM   
Orzel Bialy

Jess, I sent yours out last night...Roland, I will send yours out tonight when I get home from work.

It is a 3MB package...so if your mailbox doesn't accept anything over 1MB please let me know and I will break them up.

(in reply to RolandRahn_MatrixForum)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/16/2004 8:43:23 PM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Yes, there is a limitation (I'm not sure if it is 1 MB or 1.5 MB), so please split them up.

Thanks in advance ,
Roland

Post #: 7
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/20/2004 3:23:21 AM   
Orzel Bialy

OK, Roland....I assume your files arrived intact this time as I haven't heard back, so no news is good news. lol.

Joe, I am sending yours as we speak. There will be three seperate emails to break up the 3MB file size.

Saint Orzels work here is nearly done. LOL

Post #: 8
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/20/2004 3:35:55 AM   
M4Jess

Orzel,

Thank you but my files did not unzip, well they did unzip kindof, I got an error notice and I cannot load the camp..any ideas?

Jess

Post #: 9
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/20/2004 4:20:31 AM   
Orzel Bialy

If it is giving you an error message saying that: filexxxblahblahblah should be filexxxyaddayaddayadda...then you may have to do what I did...explode the files into a seperate folder...and then move them into the campaign folder.

That was the error message I was receiving when I tried to unzip RS directly into my campaign folder. Worked when I did it the other way and it seems to play fine thus far.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 10
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/20/2004 4:26:01 AM   
M4Jess

Cool! On it!

Jess

Post #: 11
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 10/20/2004 9:59:30 AM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Hi Orzel,

I know that it sounds strange, but when double-clicking the first of the three zipped files, I get an error message that the file is invalid or damaged.
The strange thing is that the other two files could be opened and unzipped.
So, I'm currently missing nodes 014 and 016-035....
Therefore, I can now start the campaign, but I will run into trouble when reaching one of the nodes...

Roland

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 12
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/3/2004 5:52:59 AM   
SU100 Brad

Hello,

Just checked forum after very long time - long enough to forget password and have new email.

Was darroch and with help of Penetrator and many others, produced Russian Steel mods up through 1.5...

Actually had generated RS 1.6 which loaded to slot 32 (to avoid overwriting Yanghtze camp) but then got swamped by real life events....

I hope to try and finish up 1.6 and de-bug the zip error thing over the next couple weeks...

Please let me know here if you'd be interested in 1.6 if I get it wrapped up.

Post #: 13
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/3/2004 8:18:58 PM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Hi Brad,

it's great that you are back!
I'm currently playing 1.5.
Will the campaign be continued?
Do you need volunteers? (I could offer myself as playtester)

Roland

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 14
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/4/2004 2:24:37 PM   
serg3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: SU100 Brad

Yes! It's the only big russian campain for single player.

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 15
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/4/2004 8:30:10 PM   
KNomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: serg3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: SU100 Brad

Yes! It's the only big russian campain for single player.

I'm a big fan of East Front simulations

That - and a good sub sim - any recommendations?

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 16
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/4/2004 9:02:02 PM   
Paul Wykes

Add my voice to one of those that would definately play a version 1.6.

Great campaign.

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 17
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/5/2004 3:09:05 AM   
SU100 Brad

Roland, Thanks!

I hope to get 1.6 ready within three weeks. It has three more battles set in/around Kharkov in Feb 1943. It has been re-hosted to campaign slot 32 and I have played some of the battles using 8.2 and haven't noticed any discrepancies.

I am going to try to include saved games so that a player has the option of picking up in 1942 and 1943 without having to play 20+ battles to get there.

I actually started playtesting the first of 4 planned kursk battles and between the battle being really large and the core force being really elite, it doesn't appear to be feasible to continue.

The large battles require a lot more time and effort to playtest. The problem with an elite core force is that the AI has to have 3:1 in tanks to provide any challenge....and when elite units are repaired they generally come back elite (instead of green recruits as one would expect)....it actually gets quite tedious to test and to play...

As a result, the last few battles are real monsters....and they are probably the last of the original Russian Steel concept.

I'm considering four alternatives and there may be others I'm overlooking...

1) Carry on from Kursk with smaller battles and platoon sized core forces (along the lines of WIld Bill's quick play concept...)

2) Re-engineer all Russian Steel with a smaller core force so that even by 1943, the 6 elite tanks in the player's core won't be overwhelming in terms of playbalance...

3) Switch to 1944 and start with Operation Bagration (Destruction of Army Group Center) and run all the way to Berlin...

4) Take a cue from Wild Bill's The Victors concept - set up a hypothetical Soviet Union vs. Allies in non-traditional areas....one could do a Greek Communist uprising with Soviet intervention and maybe have it spill into Turkey or Yugoslavia...Another interesting variant would be a Persia grab by Stalin with a shoestring response by the West (kind of a Caspian Korean War)....the attraction here would be to exercise typically unused weapons types (i.e. Centurions and JS-III) and complete freedom to make up hypothetical scenarios...

(in reply to Paul Wykes)
Post #: 18
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/5/2004 6:05:16 AM   
Sgt Popov

Cannot wait for Ver 1.6!!
I would love for it to end in Berlin

- Sergeant, what should I do if my parachute won't open?
- Bring it back and I'll replace it.

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 19
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/5/2004 11:12:23 AM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Hi Brad,

I think that the special charme of Russian Steel is the big core force that is seriously damaged again and again in the desperate battles in June 1941 and that slowly changes into an elite force.
So, I think that the original concept should be continued as long as possible.
However, I must confess that I'm currently at Kolochny station, so I might be completely wrong in my judgement. (When I got the campaign a couple of weeks ago again, I played until Kaluga attack, then I realized that my core force was way to huge and had to restart it - I should have read the intro text .)

If it turns out that after a few more battles, the core force is such an elite force that it becomes unplayable, I would suggest to finish the campain with one glorious battle where the whole force is destroyed. The aim in that battle would be to kill as many enemy units as possible before the inevitable defeat.

Then, there could be a russian steel II, with the original concept of a 59-units-core force, but starting on June 22nd, 1944 and continuing to Berlin. If it's still playable on May 8th, 1945, send them on a hypothetical journey to Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris....

Regarding a smaller core force, I would suggest a completely new Russian Steel for that.
I'm currently working on a Japanese campaign with a core force of just one Infantry Platoon A* and it's a lot of fun what you can design around such a small core force.
Problem is that after 20 scenarios or so each of the infantry sqds has more than 100 Kills, more than 100 experience and is nearly invincible.

Imagine a small infantry platoon that serves well, becomes an elite unit and is later used sometimes in conventional battles with a bigger auxiliary force and sometimes alone (or with a few other auxiliary elite units) for special missions....

Something like a counterpart to Skorzeney's force.

Just my 0.02 cents,
Roland

BTW:
Many thanks for Russian Steel as it is today....

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 20
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/5/2004 3:05:30 PM   
SU100 Brad

Roland,

I agree with your observations. I can't help but love the big, sprawling Russian Steel concept - the combined arms task force commander role is one is find very enjoyable.

A small-team approach to Russian Steel would indeed be a whole new game - it would have its own charms.

Another possible thing to ponder would be to decrease or eliminate AUX units. At some level, no matter how elite the core became, going up against 200 German units could remain challenging....especially because RS 1.6 has reached July 1943 which provides the scenario designer with a whole new set of German nasties (a couple Tigers and Panthers can ruin your whole day)...

But at the moment, I'm stumped on the first day of Zitadelle: the AI doesn't do well with minefields and pillboxes...

The main problem with the big, elite core is one of determining playbalance - with fewer AUX units, the player's entire force could be wiped out - not that I'm against imposing penalties for imprudent judgements but the next battle might be entirely unbalanced from the start unless enough build points are provided to essentially rebuild the core force over from scratch...

I'm grateful for this discussion - multiple viewpoints always improve thinking.

B

Post #: 21
RE: Russian Steel 1.5 - 12/17/2004 12:46:27 PM   
Kizardvexius

Just unlurking to say I would love to finish russian steel in berlin.

I beared the terrible days of 1941 with my rookie force, now it is payback time. I would be ok to continue that wonderful campaign with almost no aux units, if that means I can go on with my core force.

I dream to send my force in the streets of berlin.. the exact (almost...) one that took a beating in 1941.

No small scale battles please, just russian steel 1.6

please !

(in reply to SU100 Brad)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel 1.5 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI