Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seach plane patterns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Seach plane patterns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 4:56:06 PM   
Behemoth

Listen, as a little disclaimer, I'm fully aware that the Matrix/2by3 gang have more than their fair share of work, so this is only an exploritory question. I've noticed in a few major PTO naval exercises that focused search plane patrol patterns were utililized, ie; Similar to a seach light or radar cone. All planes focused in say a 45 or 35 degree search pattern in the direction of an objective. I know the best example comes right before the Battle of Midway when the Alllies fanned out their seach planes to the west where a they expected a Jap. invasion. Is this seach pattern at all possible with the way this game is built. I know it's not possible now, my question is could it ever be implimented or is it just not workable with the present code?
To make my case for it I think one has just to look at the utilility of such a search. I've used the shorter distance, search circles to try to simulate this, but it is a limited work around. Planes would have longer distances in one direction and would be more likely to get the bead on a surface group with a more focused cone pattern. I'm aware that as with many things, airpatrol is a little abstracted, but this one feature could give a enormous edge to a players inteliligence gathering ability. A new level of play would be added as the player would have to make sacifices for the need for inteliligence. As I said earlier, this is only a wish of mine, if this is unworkable than sobeit. Thanks.
-B

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI
Post #: 1
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 5:42:02 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Behemoth

Listen, as a little disclaimer, I'm fully aware that the Matrix/2by3 gang have more than their fair share of work, so this is only an exploritory question. I've noticed in a few major PTO naval exercises that focused search plane patrol patterns were utililized, ie; Similar to a seach light or radar cone. All planes focused in say a 45 or 35 degree search pattern in the direction of an objective. I know the best example comes right before the Battle of Midway when the Alllies fanned out their seach planes to the west where a they expected a Jap. invasion. Is this seach pattern at all possible with the way this game is built. I know it's not possible now, my question is could it ever be implimented or is it just not workable with the present code?
To make my case for it I think one has just to look at the utilility of such a search. I've used the shorter distance, search circles to try to simulate this, but it is a limited work around. Planes would have longer distances in one direction and would be more likely to get the bead on a surface group with a more focused cone pattern. I'm aware that as with many things, airpatrol is a little abstracted, but this one feature could give a enormous edge to a players inteliligence gathering ability. A new level of play would be added as the player would have to make sacifices for the need for inteliligence. As I said earlier, this is only a wish of mine, if this is unworkable than sobeit. Thanks.
-B

I am fairly certain this has been brought up a couple times in the past - not implementable through this code was the answer from the moderators.

(in reply to Behemoth)
Post #: 2
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 5:45:26 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

-B

I am fairly certain this has been brought up a couple times in the past - not implementable through this code was the answer from the moderators.

That banner is just wrong.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 5:51:09 PM   
Behemoth

thx rtrapasso, I kinda thought that was the case. I'll use the ever useful seach function from now on. I troll here often, I've just never saw this raised. Too bad though, I actually would love an opponent to try and blind side me by approaching me from an unobvious direction. Too much micro-management I guess, oh well. Thx again.
-B

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 5:58:57 PM   
madflava13

Behemoth -
I think it was actually raised in the UV forum, so a search wouldn't have helped!

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Behemoth)
Post #: 5
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 6:31:14 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

That banner is just wrong.

Which banner? Mine?

I was thinking of changing my signature to "waiting for 1945 fanboy".

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 6
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 6:34:23 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

Behemoth -
I think it was actually raised in the UV forum, so a search wouldn't have helped!

Yeah - it was i think - but it has been raised in witp also. (I've read it since i had a 2 year hiatus between UV and witp, and i haven't been on the UV boards of late). As i recall, the message wasn't in a separate thread, but it was stuck in with a bunch of stuff on a wish-list.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 7
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 6:34:56 PM   
mlees

It's also the Army Aircorps answer to level 9 forts...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 8:31:07 PM   
Behemoth

I know this is a tall request, but using the seach function didn't yield much in the way of what I'm looking for. Does anyone recall the subject or keywords used in the posts on this topic? I've tried search patterns, patrol planes(too many to count on this one.) and naval search. So my last resort is one of you wonderful people possibly remembering from way back when anything helpful on the subject. I have combed through both the witp and uv threads to no avail. Thank in advance.
-chris

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 9
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 8:55:44 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

I know this is a tall request, but using the seach function didn't yield much in the way of what I'm looking for. Does anyone recall the subject or keywords used in the posts on this topic? I've tried search patterns, patrol planes(too many to count on this one.) and naval search. So my last resort is one of you wonderful people possibly remembering from way back when anything helpful on the subject. I have combed through both the witp and uv threads to no avail. Thank in advance.
-chris

Good luck on this! It was a post in November or earlier. The search function only yields the most recent 50 hits, and so doesn't go back so far. I think it was mentioned in a wish list or want list string, but i don't remember what the exact topic was. I'll see if I can find it, but i am not too confident that i can.

(in reply to Behemoth)
Post #: 10
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 10:27:12 PM   
Mr.Frag

Search will not be modified to handle arcs.

This is not a tactical game where this would be of value with game turns in the < 1 hour range.

This was solutioned quite simply by allowing aircraft to be set to shorter then their maximum range and become more effective. (which when you think about is is exactly what the use of arcs and math that makes people cry ends up doing)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 11
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 10:41:06 PM   
JohnK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

This is not a tactical game where this would be of value with game turns in the < 1 hour range.

(Except where you're setting altitudes for squadrons :-)

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 12
RE: Seach plane patterns - 12/8/2004 10:44:04 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

(Except where you're setting altitudes for squadrons :-)

Do you test them multiple times during the course of the flight?

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Seach plane patterns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI