Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP perfomance + videocard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WITP perfomance + videocard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 1:16:10 AM   
BlackVoid

What kind of graphics card do you use for WITP? How does the game run on it?

I just recently upgraded to a Radeon 9800 Pro from an NVidia Geforce4Ti. The difference is quite big, scrolling is almost too fast with the new card. Also interface response time is better a bit. I have to say that in other respects I am not that satisfied with the Radeon, it was a pain to set up and there is the occasional boot-up on 60Hz. But for WITP it is perfect.

By the way, if you are using an NVidia card and your driver is not up to date, get a newer version. A few months ago there was a driver from NVidia that greatly improved performance.
Post #: 1
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 2:14:55 AM   
Nomad

I'm still using my Nvidia Ti4 4400. It works good enough for a 2-D game like WitP.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 2
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:11:25 AM   
2ndACR

I got you all beat, I am still using a Voodoo 5500 64 mb video card and everything runs smooth as silk.

And my last driver update was in 2000.

And it will run Ghost Recon and Madden 2004 with out a glitch. Plus MTW.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 12/13/2004 7:12:22 PM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:19:08 AM   
bradfordkay

You know, it's only on a wargamers forum where you'll hear the members bragging about how OLD their systems are!!!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:24:10 AM   
RevRick

I don't know what anyone's bragging about. I'm still using an old Pentium III 500 mhz machine with an old NVidia 32meg card. But then again, I don't give a flying rip for the combat animations. I just want to see the results, enter the response, and continue planning and emplimenting strategy.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:30:53 AM   
2ndACR

800mghz, 192 mb RAM, and my trusty Voodoo. I would love to get my hands on a Voodoo 6600, but there were only 10 prototypes made before they got bought out. I read somewhere a year or so ago that it smoked every card newer than that in tests.

Alas, the only one I ever found on E-Bay was priced at 10,000.00.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 6
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:50:27 AM   
steveh11Matrix

750MHz PIII, but only the built in (Intel) graphics...which have never been my focus anyway!

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 4:05:03 AM   
tabpub

Shoot, I draw mine on the screen in grease pencil....I go thru a lot of pencils....

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 8
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 4:13:36 AM   
tigercub

interface response time is slow it makes doing a turn a chore!! big room for inprovement there!
i have very good gear! new ish lap top 2.4gig

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 9
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 4:20:32 AM   
bradfordkay

tigercub... interesting. I play WITP on both my older desktop and my laptop. I find the same sluggishness with the interface on the laptop, but improved AI processing (faster turns - I'm starting to plan my moves on the desktop and then move the save to the laptop to run the turns!) with the newer laptop. I wonder if laptops process "mouse clicks" in a different manner?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 10
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 4:27:11 AM   
tigercub

anyone know what changes i could make to inprove interface response like boot-up on 60Hz any tips i have a rayon 7500 card 64 meg not sure on driver.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 11
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 11:13:39 AM   
RalfBHV

AMD Athlon 2600+, ATI 9600XT, 512MB. No Problems running witp.

Nessaja

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 12
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 11:55:38 AM   
Marten

AMD800, TNT2 32mb, 384 RAM (not a ninja PC ) and no problems with WitP so far.

(in reply to RalfBHV)
Post #: 13
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 1:01:58 PM   
Bozzaroo

bradfordkay - funny you would say that, I got a 2.8 p4 with 1gb of memory at home. And during my latest Europe holiday I took my work laptop which is only a 1.4 with 512 and I had the feeling I got about twice as many turns in (between 4 and 7am, when the rest of the family was sleeping) than I do now at home!

Could it have to do with the sound? I have renamed the sound folder on the laptop as the speakers is crap anyway, and maybe that's what is making it running faster!?

(in reply to Marten)
Post #: 14
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 1:14:57 PM   
2ndACR

Yep, renaming the sound directory to NOSOUND will make the turns fly by. Even on my old slow PC, I can run a PBEM 1st turn as the Japanese in about 8 minutes or so with full graphics.

I have gotten used to no sound. If I run with sound, my 1st turn will run fine, then slow to a crawl with lots of stutter. And I am not about to reboot up the game every turn.

(in reply to Bozzaroo)
Post #: 15
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 2:16:51 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I got you all beat, I am still using a Voodoo 5500 64 mb video card and everything runs smooth as silk.

And my last driver update was in 2000.

And it will run Ghost Recon and Madden 2004 with out a glitch. Plus MTW.

The good news is that dedicated fans have made NEW drivers for the entire family of Voodoo video cards.

Go here:

http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=1

I still use a 5 year old Voodoo3 2000 video card, and with the new drivers, I can play any game that requires DirectX 9.0!

This was/is a great video card, and I am happy to see that the community still supports it.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 16
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 3:51:20 PM   
hithere

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackVoid

What kind of graphics card do you use for WITP? How does the game run on it?

I just recently upgraded to a Radeon 9800 Pro from an NVidia Geforce4Ti. The difference is quite big, scrolling is almost too fast with the new card. Also interface response time is better a bit. I have to say that in other respects I am not that satisfied with the Radeon, it was a pain to set up and there is the occasional boot-up on 60Hz. But for WITP it is perfect.

By the way, if you are using an NVidia card and your driver is not up to date, get a newer version. A few months ago there was a driver from NVidia that greatly improved performance.

They acually released another driver on the 9th of Nov. It does not seem to improve WITP very much but it does seem to fix a problem i have been having with my 5200/256M card.....but it really does not matter for me.....I'm building a PCI express computer in Feb...........

< Message edited by hithere -- 12/14/2004 8:51:31 AM >

Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 17
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 4:42:50 PM   
Peter Fisla

WitP runs great on my machine; though I didn't try to disable sound yet to see if it makes the game run faster:

AMD XP 2700+ (@2.3Ghz), 1GB 333Mhz DDR, nVidia FX 5950 Ultra, SB 2 Audigy , Asus nForce 2 Deluxe; Windows XP Pro + SP2

(in reply to hithere)
Post #: 18
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 5:32:28 PM   
Thurmonator

Dude, I got me a Dell. (jus'kiddin', I built me own) 2.6ghz 1gb pc3200 RAM w/ 9800 Pro and Audigy 2zs.

I'm having some serious frame rate problems....

Please help me out... I get frame rate slowdown when the progress screen says "TRAINING SHIP CREWS". I also get some serious stutter and flashing when the air operations are conducting recon missions and such.

And I don't know aboot you guys, but my video goes all fluey when the air strike animations are happening. I mean I see the attacking planes, and I see the ships, and then, all of a sudden, the ship blows up, but I didn't see any bombs dropping. IT SAYS COMBAT ANIMATION. Where is the animation??? I am thinking that the textures aren't loading correctly due to the fact that I installed my drivers over the top of the old drivers.

If they could just fix the frame rate issues, and the bump mapping on the land hexes is a little off. Otherwise, it's solid.

< Message edited by Thurmonator -- 12/14/2004 3:34:02 PM >

Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 19
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 6:42:32 PM   
BlackVoid

Check SmartGart in Control Panel/Display/Advanced. If it says that AGP is off, then you might have to install a motherboard AGP driver.
If you have FastWrite enabled, disable it, fastwrite has issues and not quicker then otherwise.
If the above does not help, check AGP aperture memory size in BIOS. 64 or 128MB should work fine.

If all this fails, search the net...

(in reply to Thurmonator)
Post #: 20
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 6:43:14 PM   
BlackVoid

Thurmonator: my prev post was for you. Also try to disable sound, your problem might be sound related.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 21
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 6:45:46 PM   
Feinder

Bah.

Bet y'all didn't know it would run on this ol' trusty thing! Scrolling around the map is such a pain!

-F-

(sorry, my image skils are obviously somewhat lacking)

Attachment (1)

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 22
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 6:51:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

ATI Rage Fury 128 and Pentium III with 128 megas RAM. No problems at all. Well, a bit slow when I use the <ALT TAB> but that is because my machine is too old. I am going to add 256 megas of RAM though (I bought "Rome Total Wars" one month and a half ago and it needs 256 minimum: I could not play yet).

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 23
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 6:59:36 PM   
soeren01

You need processor power and RAM to run WITP. The video cards performance is not so important. I got an onboard video chip no 3D capability not fast but WITP runs very smoth and well. If your video card is not older than 2 or 3 years it should not be a problem.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 24
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 7:11:09 PM   
Thurmonator

Thanks BlackVoid,

BUt I still don't see the bombs or torps as they are dropped from the planes. Is my copy defective?

And PLEASE fix the shader support, cause my bump mapping is clipping the textures.

And what happened to the alternate camera angles< I thought there was going to be a horizontal view angle as well as a vertical one???

What gives?

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 25
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 7:19:52 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thurmonator

Thanks BlackVoid,

BUt I still don't see the bombs or torps as they are dropped from the planes. Is my copy defective?

And PLEASE fix the shader support, cause my bump mapping is clipping the textures.

And what happened to the alternate camera angles< I thought there was going to be a horizontal view angle as well as a vertical one???

What gives?

You mean, your supposed to?
I've never seen any - just heard sounds of bombs dropping, or splash of torpedo hitting the water (with accompaning Zoom of airplane motor. Get this sound even when it's a surface battle, to my amusement).

The only animation I've ever seen is flashes of guns on attackers (ships, airplanes) and fires on the attacked.

Post #: 26
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 7:45:50 PM   
Kwik E Mart

so if i rename my sound folder to NOSOUND, does it matter wheather or not i have the sound on or off? i suppose it wouldn't be that hard to turn it off, but why bother changing the folder name if you can turn the sound off? perhaps you can't turn it all the way off?

hmmm...not making much sense here....more coffee....

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 27
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 9:22:52 PM   
testarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

so if i rename my sound folder to NOSOUND, does it matter wheather or not i have the sound on or off? i suppose it wouldn't be that hard to turn it off, but why bother changing the folder name if you can turn the sound off? perhaps you can't turn it all the way off?

hmmm...not making much sense here....more coffee....

NOSOUND is kinda drastic measure - helps with old hardware (although if you have Audigy 2 with Direct X acceleration enabled it should work fine).
Try to turn off the music first. Another thing to consider - set messages delay to 0.1, helps a lot, than set sound off, than combat animations off.

Dr. Miller: I should've called the marines!
Dalton: They're few, they're proud... And they ain't here!!!

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 28
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/14/2004 9:33:06 PM   
Thurmonator

oh yeah,

while your fixing the bump mapping, please check out the "real-time" toggle switch in the preferences screen, cause I can't seem to find it?

Is this a bug or a feature?

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 29
RE: WITP perfomance + videocard - 12/15/2004 5:25:02 AM   
e8flyer

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 1024 MB RAM, RADEON X800 PRO AGP 256MB so no problems here, although I did have to slow down the pointer action, it would be all over the place sometimes. I do get constant crap from my friends who say I spent $400.00 video card for a no graphics, turnbased , grognard , number crunching , micro-management game. My only answer is yes , yes I do love this game , enough so that I am going to get a laptop just to play it in the desert, that is if the 1.4 patch comes out soon!

< Message edited by e8flyer -- 12/15/2004 3:25:59 AM >

"The only reason that anything ever gets done is because there are pockets of competence in every command. The key is to find them...and then exploit the hell out of 'em." CMDR CENTCOM

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WITP perfomance + videocard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI