Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can someone tell me how to blow a train?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Can someone tell me how to blow a train? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 9/29/2004 4:49:42 PM   
lordowen

Sorry, I'm a new one for the MC. I firstly choose the MCNA as my first MC. And the first mission I choose "to get train". But I never meet a train before in other secanrios. I blow the engine and box car away, but when I shoot the tanker car and other "soft" target (eg. ammo dumps and command post), they just been "hit" but not destroyed. No matter what weapon I used to shoot them, they just like old ones -- they never die! How can I kill them? I wish to blow them into the moon!
Post #: 1
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 9/29/2004 9:13:37 PM   
Voriax

Howdy

Those tanker cars are just like ammo dumps, you have to punish them a lot. It will take dozens of hits from small arms fire until they blow..the bigger weapon you are using the better. Satchel charges are good

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to lordowen)
Post #: 2
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 9/30/2004 4:12:33 AM   
Kokoda

Yes, satchel charges and large HE shells (eg 155 SPA) can do it in one shot. This is very useful and quick. I can't remember whether this scenario has engineers or SPA - I took a different thread.

If you don't have these resources you just have to spend a long time attacking them - like ammo dumps. Remember though, in this scenario I think you have to exit your forces from the map to gain max points, so don't spend so long gaining the points for killing the train, because you'll lose points in not exiting the map.

CHRIS

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 3
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 9/30/2004 11:30:11 PM   
lordowen

Hi, Voriax:

Thanks for your help. Now I blow them all. Although my assult teams equiped with satchel charges, they always performed an assult to the tanker, and always fail. The assult rate is 10%, but after almost 20 attempts, I gave it up and let my PzII/III tanks to finish them. I don't know why my assult team used the assult attack instead of the normal attack since the tanker car is a "soft" target. But at least, I kick their ass.

Thanks againg.

lordowen

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 4
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 9/30/2004 11:41:35 PM   
lordowen

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the engineers or SPA in this optional condition. So I can just shoot them. I think I used 2 or 3 PzIII tanks to finish one target, that means up to 30 to 40 shots. Err...a little bit more.

And now I need to quit the battlefield as you mentioned. There are two exit hexs in this map, can I stick units in one hex per turn? If I do so, will I lost something? It is third turn now, and the British armor force is presenting...

lordowen

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 5
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 10/1/2004 12:27:00 AM   
Voriax

Lordowen, if an attack fails it is often best _not_ rally the assaulting unit immediately. You see, the suppression it receives from failing an assault prevents assaulting again _but_ it usually has shots left and can attack in normal manner often getting rather high hit percentages.

As for exit hex type scenarios, each unit you will leave in the battlefield is counted against you. So do not take any unnecessary casualties. When you move your units into the exit hex they stay there until you end your turn, then they disappear and give you points. Of course if a scenario has valuable victory hexes it might be worth sacrificing few auxiliaries in trying to hold those hexes, but it is your call. You should check the value of those train cars, destroy those with values in hundreds and then withdraw your troops.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to lordowen)
Post #: 6
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 10/1/2004 11:15:09 PM   
lordowen

Hi Voriax:

Thanks for your advise again. I know that if the suppression value greater then 10, the infantry will not assult and use normal attack. But I just wander why they used assult since the tanker car has no armor and should be a "soft" target.

Another strange thing happened. I finished this scenario but get a "decisive defeat". Of course, my score is 309 and computer's score is 1534 so I get such result. But I finished all train cars, all ammo dumps, a command post, all people inside the target area (including 2 25pd artillerys, 2 AT guns, 1 HMG, and 2 40mm AAs). After this, I also withdrawed almost all my troops except 1 PzII and 3 infantry.
I even captured all VP hex, but I only get 309 and computer get 1534!!! I totally confused. Is there anything wrong? some mistakes I has been taken? or some actions will produce a negative effect to my score?

Please kindly advise me again.

lordowen

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 7
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 10/5/2004 8:43:57 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax

Lordowen, if an attack fails it is often best _not_ rally the assaulting unit immediately. You see, the suppression it receives from failing an assault prevents assaulting again _but_ it usually has shots left and can attack in normal manner often getting rather high hit percentages.

Hi Voriax,

Sorry, but that seems wrong to me. I think it is wiser to rally the unit, then target the hex and attack using the "C" key to pick just your satchel charge. That way you can fire the satchel charge at the target without assaulting it, and you don't have to be suppressed.

Hope this makes sense,

P.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 8
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 10/5/2004 8:48:41 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordowen

Another strange thing happened. I finished this scenario but get a "decisive defeat". Of course, my score is 309 and computer's score is 1534 so I get such result. But I finished all train cars, all ammo dumps, a command post, all people inside the target area (including 2 25pd artillerys, 2 AT guns, 1 HMG, and 2 40mm AAs). After this, I also withdrawed almost all my troops except 1 PzII and 3 infantry.
I even captured all VP hex, but I only get 309 and computer get 1534!!! I totally confused. Is there anything wrong? some mistakes I has been taken? or some actions will produce a negative effect to my score?

Please kindly advise me again.

lordowen

Hi,

I don't think anyone can adequately explain the scoring that the computer uses - it seems pretty broken. I know that the "points per turn" victory hexes don't work if you save the game, so any of those that were in your scenario are likely to be scored wrong. Personally, I suspect that the game also does not properly credit you when you exit units - I've often had those scenarios scored oddly.

Wish I could be of more help,

P.

(in reply to lordowen)
Post #: 9
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 10/12/2004 6:52:52 PM   
RockinHarry

If there´s any "Victory Exit hex" (can be more than one) for your side in the scenario then you need to move as many of your units onto these hexes and if you´re finished with all your moves in a turn, hit "end turn" button. Now all units presently stationed on the "victory exit hexes" are removed from the map and your force and you´re awarded the unit cost x3 for any unit exited off the map this way. If you don´t move units off the "victory exit hex", then at games end your opponent (in this case the computer) earns vitory points worth half of your combat forces, still on the map at games end!

here´s the same stuff mentioned in the game manual page 27 and 186:

Exit Victory - When using this option the player will receive victory points for each of the units
that is able to exit off of the map. If there are any Exit Victory hexes in a scenario, the other side
gets ½ the escaping side’s starting force value as victory points immediately. Units exited through
the Exit Victory hexes now score 3x their (and their passengers’) value as victory points.

The odd tanker car. As already stated it´s actually an "ammo dump" class unit and that effectively means these need to be hit quite often to blow up! Nowadays scenario makers can "presassign" damage points to units in a scenario, in order to make them blow up more quickly. Off course that does not help you now, so just forget about it and plaster the tanker cars with big high explosives like satchel charges or large caliber guns...if you have the time and don´t need to head to victory exit hexes!

From my experience, using the "C-key" and selecting single weapons for 1 hex range attacks individually works best. Only when these fail, you can try an additional "close assault"..for free.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 10
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 12/8/2004 9:04:22 AM   
Igor

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry
From my experience, using the "C-key" and selecting single weapons for 1 hex range attacks individually works best. Only when these fail, you can try an additional "close assault"..for free.

Just don't forget to hit the T key first, and target said dump/fuel depot/whatever. Then you can choose your weapon.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 11
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 12/18/2004 3:43:09 PM   
Bladrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordowen

Hi, Voriax:

Thanks for your help. Now I blow them all.

Really?

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to lordowen)
Post #: 12
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 12/22/2004 2:24:52 AM   
BlitzSS

Who said all the action was on the War in the Pacific Forum???

"Nuts"

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 13
RE: Can someone tell me how to blow a train? - 2/1/2005 2:22:37 AM   
Wild Bill

Oh, there's lots going on around here, Blitz. We are blowing things up all the time and even getting blown up occasionally

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Can someone tell me how to blow a train? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI