Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> RE: First Impressions? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions? - 10/11/2004 4:56:27 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

Great Battles

unfortunatly unless you have an old system with win95 you will not be able to play it. I have just try it 3 weeks ago

They all run just fine under XP. The only tweak needed is to set Windows 95 compability for the both the install and game .exe files.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 31
RE: First Impressions? - 10/11/2004 5:17:15 PM   
toddtreadway

My wife hates this game.

She got to spend the whole weekend alone because of it as I played through the campaign. As I explained to her, it is all the game developer's fault.

I'm usually the type of gamer that will spend a couple of hours at a game, jump to another one for a bit, then back. But this game really captivates my attention (as hard as that is to do). I haven't had so much fun with a computer wargame since Panzer General or Clash of Steel.

< Message edited by toddtreadway -- 10/11/2004 9:18:09 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 32
RE: First Impressions? - 10/18/2004 12:17:57 AM   
pahom

I just wanted to say that I am very happy with my purchase. I was sitting on the fence on this title, but had a free weekend, and decided to get it on impulse. This game is etremely addictive, and very enjoyable. I think I have already gotten my money's worth in one weekend. I have only played the first few battles, each a few times, but find myself going back and trying something different. I am a complete newbie in regards to ancient battles, but this game has certainly won me over.

I am very excited about this series and look forward to more in the future.

Sincerely,

Pahom

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 33
RE: First Impressions? - 10/18/2004 8:03:36 AM   
SlapBone

I'm not getting this game because...wait, an AAR... because it costs too much and ...wait I don't even need my wallet because I know my credit card number by heart... but really there is no way I'm going to by yet another game... damn she's gonna be pissed now when she sees the bank account.

Ok, as you can see my willpower lost the 1st battle in Alexander, and that was the battle whether to buy it or not. I'm having a blast, and it's ashamed that my willpower can't be here to enjoy it with me.

(in reply to pahom)
Post #: 34
RE: First Impressions? - 10/26/2004 10:53:28 PM   
parusski

LOL Slapbone, I have purchased, Korsun, AtD, BIN, WitP, Alexander TS....Plus nine games from "other than Matrix" in the last few months. I can only get away with this 'cause my wife forgot to "BE TOLD" that my bonuses from work doubled in Jan 04. Hmmm, wonder why she does not know that.

ENJOYYYYYYY

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 35
RE: First Impressions? - 10/27/2004 12:11:15 AM   
Mr.Frag

This is one of those games that sucks you in by looking very simple at first. Next thing you know you are spending hours second guessing every single key press/mouse click.

Don't be fooled, it is like chess. Anyone can move a pawn forward. The question is "What if i do?"

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 36
RE: First Impressions? - 10/28/2004 12:09:35 AM   
Clipper1968

I have just downloaded,installed the game and played the first battle.I like it as it is easy to understand but quite difficult to handle:that's I am expecting from a wargame or a game!!!
I have stupidly lost some units in the first battlebut I hope to do better in the future...where are my panzers???
That's definitively a great game which is effectively very enjoyable and very addictive.
I am looking forward to get the next episode of this Series:could it be about Hannibal please???

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 37
RE: First Impressions? - 10/30/2004 3:46:03 AM   
wodin

Wives and wargames/PC dont seem to mix. I remember the bliss full days and nights of endless hours of PC gaming........Close Combat 2 and 3........EAW....Campaign Series....Mechcommander (not normally my thing but I enjoyed it for a bit)......Fallout......Baldurs Gate

Then I met my wife married with in 7 months..many new great wargames arrived and now I didnt have the time to play......

(in reply to Clipper1968)
Post #: 38
RE: First Impressions? - 10/31/2004 12:17:03 AM   
parusski

Sorry to hear that wodin. Do what I did. Put your foot down and tell her off like Eric Cartman(South Park) would tell off his mom.

Well, you can. I just worked out a compromise.

When I first looked at the game I thought "WHAT is this" uugghh. BUt I am hooked now.

< Message edited by parusski -- 10/30/2004 10:16:59 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 39
RE: First Impressions? - 10/31/2004 1:58:42 AM   
wodin

You dont know my wife. For starters she has Aspergers Syndrome so putting your foot down isnt an option!!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 40
RE: First Impressions? - 10/31/2004 4:05:39 AM   
ravinhood

Just tell your wives you are a "beta" tester for the game, they won't know any difference, most know nothing about wargames or computer lingo. hehe

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 41
RE: First Impressions? - 10/31/2004 4:31:15 AM   
Belphegor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Just tell your wives you are a "beta" tester for the game, they won't know any difference, most know nothing about wargames or computer lingo. hehe

Hmm, that might work. But they do have very long memories, and if they ever do understand the lingo they will remember what you said. And figure out that you lied. then you have that other saying about the woman scorned...

paraphrased best as "ow, honey, bricks hurt no matter what part hits your head first"

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 42
RE: First Impressions? - 11/1/2004 4:53:39 PM   
koiosworks

If you really want to PO your wife, come home and tell her that you are quitting your well paying job to start up a game company

< Message edited by koiosworks -- 11/1/2004 2:54:44 PM >

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 43
RE: First Impressions? - 11/1/2004 5:00:34 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: koiosworks
If you really want to PO your wife, come home and tell her that you are quitting your well paying job to start up a game company

Yeah, I can 2nd that one...

Deride

(in reply to koiosworks)
Post #: 44
RE: First Impressions? - 11/5/2004 9:19:18 PM   
Poliorcetes

Well so far it is fun. I am frustrated that after the first few battles, it becomes a question of figuring out the exact way to win. I've given up trying to win the first time around and just using that battle as a reconaisance battle to get a feel for what's going on. Which is probably just as well given that there are a limited number of battles to fight. But I really like the game. I'll be sad when I run out of battles. I don't have time for online opponents and I don't see how this would work well as PBEM.

Poliorcetes

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 45
RE: First Impressions? - 11/9/2004 6:22:58 PM   
Warfare1

It may be a good game, but I won't be buying it for the following reasons:

1) It has only eight battles.

2) There is no PBEM capability.

3) There is no scenario/campaign/terrain editor.

4) There is no random scenario creator.

5) You can only play one side (Greek).

For the price tag, and limited gameplay, this game would get old quickly.

How many times can you play the same limited battles over and over again?

For my ancient battles fix I rely on:

1) The Great Battles Collection (it contains campaigns for Alexander, Caesar and Hannibal) can be found free at the doggie site.

2) MTW mods.

3) Civ2 MGE has some great ancient battles available for download.

Cheers!

(in reply to Poliorcetes)
Post #: 46
RE: First Impressions? - 11/17/2004 5:14:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

Warfare1,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

If you're interested in the genre and would like to see further games that take your feedback into account, please consider taking the plunge. I've seen what Koios Works has planned and I think this series will be an absolute classic as it evolves.

Please note also that there is TCP/IP play to take the place of PBEM and that in multi-player mode you can play either side, not just Alexander/Greek. In addition, there are multiple ways to win each battle and the overall play time is right at or above the industry standard.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 47
RE: First Impressions? - 11/17/2004 6:30:27 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Warfare1,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

If you're interested in the genre and would like to see further games that take your feedback into account, please consider taking the plunge. I've seen what Koios Works has planned and I think this series will be an absolute classic as it evolves.

Please note also that there is TCP/IP play to take the place of PBEM and that in multi-player mode you can play either side, not just Alexander/Greek. In addition, there are multiple ways to win each battle and the overall play time is right at or above the industry standard.

Regards,

- Erik

I have no doubt that it is a good game, especially based on the feedback from other gamers.

However, when I buy a game I base it on the most bang for my dollar (for added features please see my post above). With only 8 battles to play, there simply isn't enough here to hold my interest, especially after those battles have been played several times.

However, I do note that the next game in the series will have more added features, so I will be keeping my eye on the game's development.

All the best.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 11/17/2004 4:31:06 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 48
RE: First Impressions? - 11/26/2004 10:19:32 PM   
HobbesACW

Just played the demo and it is far better then I expected. It would make a great game to play with a few beers over the Christmas hols but I just can't see it lasting any more than a couple of weeks. At half the price I would rush out to buy it - but at 40 quid inc P&P it's
just too much to pay for a 2 week game. I may still end up getting it though :)

I would love to see a game like Rome TW with this as the tactical part.
Chris

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 49
RE: First Impressions? - 11/27/2004 2:35:57 AM   
HobbesACW

I finished the demo and won my first game without reading the instructions.

I didn't feel the AI was too easy, it seemed to play a fairly solid game but I'm wondering if the demo is a fairly easy scenario?

I really think the game needs something more. Not sure I would even play it for two weeks. It does have addictive qualities though and I would certainly recommend the demo to people.

I hope the next in the series offers more for the price, but will it appear if people don't buy this version?

I don't normally like split genre games like Rome TW, but I think the tactical aspect to this game is not enough - it needs more! But it's a very good basis for a classic game if
developed further.

I will certainly buy if improved
PBEM is a must + it seems a game where random scenarios with players buying units using points could work well. (Also the background is garish - a better looking surface would help - green grass, desert sand - anything that doesn't look like this table top!)

Otherwise replace the Rome TW tactical game with this and I will be happy paying 50 quid for it :)
Chris

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 50
RE: First Impressions? - 11/27/2004 11:01:15 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: hobbes

I finished the demo and won my first game without reading the instructions.

I didn't feel the AI was too easy, it seemed to play a fairly solid game but I'm wondering if the demo is a fairly easy scenario?

It's the easiest scenario, meant as an introduction to the game. It is, however, still more than possible to lose .

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/27/2004 9:02:22 AM >

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 51
RE: First Impressions? - 11/29/2004 11:58:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Chris,

Thanks for the comments. There's more playability in there than may appear from the demo. Please do pass the demo along to anyone you feel may be interested.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 52
RE: First Impressions? - 12/22/2004 10:13:00 AM   
Direwolf

Hi All.

Got a chance to play the demo from a m8 who is in the same RTW clan as I am. Just wanted you to know that I am DL'ing the game now and look forward to more games in the future.

FYI...the only turn off at this moment would be...EIGHT scenarios. At face value that doesn't seem like a whole lot but perhaps it'll last longer than I think.

Talk to ya'll soon.

cheers,
Direwolf

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 53
RE: First Impressions? - 12/22/2004 6:13:53 PM   
koiosworks

Just a note,

the scenarios get much larger than the first one in the demo - averaging about three times as large.

hope you enjoy the game!

(in reply to Direwolf)
Post #: 54
RE: First Impressions? - 1/4/2005 7:57:09 PM   
TheHellPatrol

I broke down and bought this game yesterday and, to be honest, i didn't think it would be my cup of tea. Why? I mostly enjoy 17th century and up but i have had much fun with Legion,Spartan and now Gates of Troy. Perhaps another Matrix product re-kindled the fire for this time period?
Well, first off, the screenshots don't do this game justice. The quality of the graphics, units and terrain, are truly beautiful. The first thing i noticed after some limited play was the "high production value" that ATG:TS comes across with, everthing from the interface to the "hand of doom" that pulls the defeated off of the battlefield. There is much more gameplay than meets the eye at first. I, like others have mentioned earlier, was worried about how limited a 6 scenario campaign would be. The play is much more tactical than others of the genre and i found myself not wanting to proceed to the next scenario before i tried out some other maneuvers (oblique). As the battles get larger i can only imagine the amount of time involved, and i look forward to it.
The big test for this title, coming from a jaded wargamer who has been wargaming/miniatures since i was 10 (32 yrs. exp.), was that i played this game in my dreams. I know if a game has staying power if i'm playing out turns in my head while i sleep and such is the case with this title. No TF's, Zero's or Jagpanzers last night...Alexander and co.
I see great things to come for this series and i am thrilled to see the ever increasing quality of products that Matrix has been and will be bringing us in 2005!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to koiosworks)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> RE: First Impressions? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI