Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of getting this.......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Thinking of getting this....... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 3:21:00 AM   
John Pancoast

Questions:

- does this game have scaleable levels of command, or is it a micro-management nightmare ? I.e., my only interest in the Pacific is carrier task forces.
Can one play the game in command of those only ?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 3:36:13 AM   
Platoonist

You might enjoy one of the smaller scenarios or this game's predecessor Uncommon Valor. Sounds like the complete campaign game probably wouldn't be for you. There you are responsible for delivering the beans and bullets to those carrier task forces as well as their repair and upkeep. Plus looking after all of those less glamorous forces such as the hordes of minesweepers, subchasers, oilers etc.

Works for me tho.

(in reply to John Pancoast)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 4:41:56 AM   
John Pancoast

WOW ! Just saw the price, never mind. Thanks though.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 4:49:06 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Pancoast

WOW ! Just saw the price, never mind. Thanks though.

I expect my cost per hour to be well under $.01. You ought to do better than that at your age; you have longer to play it.

Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 7:01:38 AM   
Ideologue

I initially balked at the $70 price tag, too, but I got it anyway--largely because of grumbler, God bless you--and I have not been disappointed.

The grand campaign is difficult to get into (though I'll try it eventually) but the less involved scenarios, further from the major micromanagement of the Centrifugal Offensive, are great fun, from my long-term anti-Midway game to the four hours it took for the Soviets to spank me in Autumn Storm. The big game I'm playing has so far revolved almost entirely around my carrier groups, too, so there's that.

All in all, I've really found it worthwile. This is the first hex wargame I've ever played, and it has opened me to a lot of new possibilities in the genre.

Also, grumbler, if you're here, I'm gonna invade Australia whether you like it or not. :blurgh:

< Message edited by Ideologue -- 12/28/2004 5:03:56 AM >

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 7:08:13 AM   
John Pancoast

Thanks guys. I'm sure the game is worth it, but at this stage of my life, no way am I spending that kind of money on a pc game :)

Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 7:41:36 AM   
ckk

You don't know what you're missing!!!!

Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 8:06:35 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Thanks guys. I'm sure the game is worth it, but at this stage of my life, no way am I spending that kind of money on a pc game :)

I spent $48 on Vampire the Masquerade, which I didn't like (not enough bouncing); $50 on Everquest II which I don't play (gotta detox myself); $45 on Silent Hill 4 (which isn't scary enough); etc...

See? All that money wasted to no purpose...

Meanwhile, here I can have the satisfaction of learning how to identify the corkeplet bumpindex of a B-24 when you see 1/30 of it on one of Brady's pictures; and to engage on interesting discussions on the map distance from the city of Miojo-Ramen to the island of Duh-Dah-Doing when stopping at San Francisco to refuel; and how many Japanese you can squeeze on an authentic WW2 tanker (answer is, of course, 12,377 plus 30 supply rations of rice).

See the fun you are going to miss?

F.

< Message edited by fbastos -- 12/28/2004 6:06:58 AM >

I'm running out of jokes...

Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 8:13:49 AM   
pad152

quote:

I spent $48 on Vampire the Masquerade, which I didn't like (not enough bouncing); $50 on Everquest II which I don't play (gotta detox myself); $45 on Silent Hill 4 (which isn't scary enough); etc...

Well, look at it this way, you didn't spend $79.00 for the Half Life SE!

< Message edited by pad152 -- 12/28/2004 6:14:19 AM >

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 8:22:29 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbastos
how many Japanese you can squeeze on an authentic WW2 tanker (answer is, of course, 12,377 plus 30 supply rations of rice).

Nonsense. Actual answer is two at a time, if they're into that, otherwise, sequential monogamy.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 12:01:29 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Hey Platoonist, your sig pic is so cool. How about one showing a Mark 14 and a Long Lance and the caption 'Size does....'

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 11
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/28/2004 7:42:29 PM   
crsutton

Well, I bought Half Life 2 right before Xmas. It is beautiful and the physical dynamics are state of the art. Took me about 15 hours to play it through. It was a blast. Second time through, it was fun but I knew all the solutions and tricks. Third time, it is getting a bit boring. On line play is just silly. Like Quake on hyperspeed with no real tactics or strategy. Just a bunch of kids running around calling each other "dude".

Now I bought UV when it came out two and a half years ago. Still playing it like a fool and loving it. Just beginning to wade into WITP. I suspect I will be playing it years from now.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/29/2004 4:48:09 AM   
bordric

There are games and then there are great games.

I bought PacWar and Carrier Strike way back when... 91' 92? Maybe 93 don't remember. Then I bought WIR it was like a perfect game with all the issues it was wonderful. I played these games for about 8 to 10 years.

In between now and then I have bought just guessing... 100 games? Pacific Air War, Harpoon, HarpoonII, Steel Panther, Master of Orion, Panzer General to Dark age of Camelot. Many in between I might add. Of all those games PACWAR gave me more hours of playing then any other, War in Russia coming is a close second. The others I might have played 1 hour or several months. I even played Battle of Britain and have it around here somewhere.

SSI, Microprose were the masters in the 1990's. I miss those games. Thinking was required.

Over the years I have spent between 4000 and 6000 dollars on games, but my 49.99 investment in both PACWAR and WIR have given me hundreds of hours of play time. Great games are few and far between, Civilization, Counterstrike, PacWar these are games that keep on going. I suspect nothing less from WITP.

Grigsby is the master, like Mozart or Angelo every area of expertise has masters, in war gaming Gribsby and company (not taking anything away from the other at 2x3) is my Mozart.

Not for everyone for sure, I played BoB for hours on end and people thought I was insane... But maybe I am not fast with the fingers and joystick but give me 1000 bombers, several months and I will bring Britain to their knees...

WITP is not for the Blitzkrieg 1942 folks, however if they will take a few hours to play it they may find there is more beyond a few mouse clicks when you see well laid out plans bring victory.

70 bucks? pffft.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 13
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/29/2004 5:57:02 AM   
ckk

It ain't the dollars man, It's the hours

Post #: 14
RE: Thinking of getting this....... - 12/29/2004 6:02:49 AM   
medicff

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Pancoast

What stage of life is that?

If you like many strategic aspects and many hours of play and replay time then worth the $70.00 it is IMO.

If you still are carousing the world and just want the quick sit down excitment of Half-Life then this would not be worth it as WITP is much more involved. Best to get SSG carriers at war (I think that was the name).

Just my .02 1/2

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Thinking of getting this....... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI