Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Online strangeness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Online strangeness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Online strangeness - 12/24/2004 10:53:53 PM   
derflinger

I started an online game a couple of hours ago. I was the host. My opponent set up second and was the defender.
After about the fifth turn, I accidently hit the 'Y' key the screen went blank and the game froze up. I went to the task manager and saw that the game was still running, but was not responding. Eventually, I tired of trying to bring it back and rebooted.

I sent emails and tried calling my opponent, but they were still online. After at least an hour, he called me and was wondering why I never moved my tanks. Apparently, the Recon and Engineers continued to move forward. They even called in a few artillery strikes, so I didn't get shut out totally.

Anybody else experience anything like this?

Man, I wish SSI would let go of the source to this. I would even pitch in some cash to get it. I would even agree to never sell it. I just want to make the darn thing work in the XP world.
Post #: 1
RE: Online strangeness - 12/26/2004 8:30:55 PM   
minefield

Well if you lose connection then the AI takes over. I don't know why just the leg units would continue to move though. If you rebooted I can't see how he would've been getting any data from your computer; it must've been the AI.

Send the saved game files as a zip and load from that point.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to derflinger)
Post #: 2
RE: Online strangeness - 12/26/2004 8:40:55 PM   
derflinger

Thanks for the reminder about the auto-save feature. Unfortunately, my opponent played the game through and took a look at the map at the end... I think we will start a PBEM game today.

You wouldn't happen to have heard about the game lock-up problem?

'Y' is supposed to set open fire range for the selected unit. But if I use it beyond the first turn or two, it freezes the SPWAW process on my machine.

Very annoying.

(in reply to derflinger)
Post #: 3
RE: Online strangeness - 12/27/2004 11:04:03 PM   
minefield

Well I have encountered strange things with online; most of which dealt with units acting strangely (coming back to life, wrong weapons, etc.).

I have seen people's games lock-up during purchase or other screens, but I have not heard of your particular problem.

I had the problem of Y locking up the game in PBEM play before. I don't know why setting range by using Y would be a problem, but I know of at least one other who had the exact same problem. I was able to resolve my problem by reverting back to an older video card driver from NVIDIA.

I would suggest to you to try a solo game and test the functionality of the Y key to see if it is an online problem or a global problem.

Playing the Online mode does take some patience and determination to get through the technical problems. I would suggest if you try it again to tell your partner to go ahead and quit the game or ctrl alt delete the program if it starts up the AI turns. I can't believe he would've missed your dropping from the game since a loud alarm goes off whenever someone leaves. Then you two can pick up where you left off with the saved game files.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to derflinger)
Post #: 4
RE: Online strangeness - 12/28/2004 7:39:45 AM   
derflinger

Good suggestions,

I tried it in a solo game, and 'Y' worked as expected for a couple of turns. Then it locked up. I'm thinking perhaps I should see if it only hangs if I hit 'Y' but the selected unit has already fired all it's weapons.

Or I may just remove the Y key.

I'll have to remind him of the alarm. Do you know if that alarm goes off when the "host" leaves the game?

Thanks!

Derflinger

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 5
RE: Online strangeness - 12/28/2004 8:23:31 PM   
minefield

It does go off when the host leaves the game. I also believe it goes off if a player leaves the game.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to derflinger)
Post #: 6
RE: Online strangeness - 12/30/2004 11:00:26 AM   
sandman20

quote:

ORIGINAL: derflinger

Thanks for the reminder about the auto-save feature. Unfortunately, my opponent played the game through and took a look at the map at the end... I think we will start a PBEM game today.

You wouldn't happen to have heard about the game lock-up problem?

'Y' is supposed to set open fire range for the selected unit. But if I use it beyond the first turn or two, it freezes the SPWAW process on my machine.

Very annoying.

Same "Y" problem occured when I played PBEM against my opponent. "1" key will do the same thing, difficult to say why game will lock up totally.It's very frustrating.

(in reply to derflinger)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Online strangeness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI