Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Norm Kroger's new game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Norm Kroger's new game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 1:08:48 PM   
fbastos

Russo-Japanese War.

Very impressive, and very pretty too. Too bad it feels a lot like Great Naval Battles, and it doesn't have a campaign mode. Don't think I'm going to buy it without a campaign mode.

Everybody is moving from hexes to 3D... duh... :(

F.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fbastos -- 1/3/2005 11:15:55 AM >

I'm running out of jokes...

Post #: 1
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 2:42:47 PM   
Genisis

Looks like an old Peter Turcan game "Jutland" ?

Put it away it might rain!

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 2
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 3:55:43 PM   
ZonkerHarris

I'll be buying this one. For those of you who haven't been following it on Koger's web page (located here: http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/RJW.html ), the latest status rerport says:

quote:

Tentative release "Real Soon Now"

Development Notes

For those who've been waiting, things should start moving soon. I still can't really discuss details, except to say that we've pushed the operational / campaign side of the game (discussed at length below) off to an expansion. Our initial release will focus on the major battles at a tactical level. Something big had to be delayed to make development time for multiplayer functionality in the game, a feature I've finally become convinced is absolutely essential in today's market. Instead of the usual industry solution of shortchanging the "AI" on the theory that it isn't really all that important in a multiplayer capable game, we decided to delay completion the operational module instead. I still think the future of the game hinges strongly on the campaign feature. It is in development, and is pretty far along. Expect it to become available as an expansion shortly after the game is released.

I'll wind up paying extra for the campaign expansion, but so it goes in the market these days.

"All right you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"

(in reply to Genisis)
Post #: 3
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 4:06:10 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbastos

Russo-Japanese War.

Very impressive, and very pretty too. Too bad it feels a lot like Great Naval Battles, and it doesn't have a campaign mode. Don't think I'm going to buy it without a campaign mode.

F.

When I first posted info (and URL and pics) about this game many many months ago I was told that this was considered to be "very very light simulation lacking depth and not meant for Grognards"...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 4
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 4:56:39 PM   
Sneer

very deep naval simulation also with campaign mode but with poor graphics is available as Raiders operations - or now Strategic Naval Gunnery operations- I was a beta for quite long so I know this from inside.
The main problem is that you join club not buy game (100$ unfortunately) and are on mercy of main designer who is at least "strange" and humorous person
don't remember website adres check title in googles if interested

< Message edited by Sneer -- 1/3/2005 9:58:11 AM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 8:43:47 PM   
pad152

Well I was very interested in this game but now it sounds like its going mulitplayer(no AI?) vs operational/campaign. I'll wait for the expansion.

A remake of Great Naval Battles wouldn't be a bad idea (think Action Stations in 3D with campaigns). There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 6
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 9:22:09 PM   
kgsan

For what its worth, I did not read him as saying that there is no AI in the game, but that, rather than short change AI, they are focusing on tactical at this stage and will tackle operational campaign in a possible follow up. However, like some of the others here, I am more interested in an operational campaign than a tactical simulation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Well I was very interested in this game but now it sounds like its going mulitplayer(no AI?) vs operational/campaign. I'll wait for the expansion.

A remake of Great Naval Battles wouldn't be a bad idea (think Action Stations in 3D with campaigns). There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 10:12:34 PM   
Mr.Frag

Go get Harpoon III, the only thing it is missing right now is Multiplayer.

I doubt anything else is going to come along and rival it anytime soon.

(in reply to kgsan)
Post #: 8
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/3/2005 10:25:05 PM   
witpqs

Mr. Frag,

One thing about the Harpoon III interface that really annoys me is the mouse cursor movement. It is incredibly slower than in windows, meaning that you have to move the mouse much further to get the same cursor movement. It's like going back to old DOS use of a mouse (basically I guess that is what's happening).

Do you just put up with this or have you found some trick/drivers/whatever to modify the mouse cursor movement?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 9
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/11/2005 9:50:07 PM   
ancient doctor

Russo-Japanese warfare is one of the most interesting but also most forgotten(game terms).Now it seems that it will be only naval battles or it will include land warfare?

P.S.1 BTW fbastos i like the... boobs,erh i mena your avatar.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/11/2005 10:40:56 PM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbastos

Not "Everybody". Lets not forget many of the Matrix 2D Developers and other Developers like ME :)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
There has been a real lack of naval games sense the death of Harpoon IV.

Check out http://www.coldwarfleet.com , there isn't too much info on the website right now but that is changing fast as we've given in to all the pressure to share everything and have started to do so with each title one by one. There is also a survey we've been conducting for awhile on this game title which has received a large amount of responses, though we are still interested in receiving even more surveys and feedback.
You can also signup at the new forums (nearing only 2 days old) for discussion at http://www.mnemonicgames.com/forums .

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 11
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/11/2005 11:21:07 PM   
RBWhite

Well, Well

Maybe Mr. Kroger would also be inclinded too remake Age Of Rifles, being that he won't release any of the source codes.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 12
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/11/2005 11:51:38 PM   
Hanal

I would rather have seen this title as a turn based campaign covering all aspects of the Russo-Japanese War and not just an RTS naval campaign....guess I'll have to see if the SC2 editor can be used to create one....

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 13
RE: Norm Kroger's new game - 1/12/2005 12:08:15 AM   
RBWhite

The only RTS Naval Simulation that I thought was enjoyable and challenging was Jane's Fleet Command.

But I agree with Veldor, I would prefer a 2D turn based Naval Simulation.

I've been peeking over at Mnemonic Games, at Cold War Fleet.

Veldor, lets us know when Cold War Fleet starts coming together.

I'll keep checking periodically, the games features sound good.

< Message edited by RBWhite -- 1/11/2005 10:26:13 PM >

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Norm Kroger's new game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI