Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

KP the next SPWaW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> KP the next SPWaW? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
KP the next SPWaW? - 8/28/2004 9:16:00 AM   
Lionfish

I have a sneaking suspision that KP (the decisive battle engine) will be to operational wargames what SPWaW is to tactical wargaming.

10 years from now, it is very possible that we have installed KP on the latest greatest computer. Downloading special apps to slow it down or to get the graphics to work, crazy fansites still building or adding to it. Matrix releasing the KP Mega-Campaigns.

I have not played a game that has such solid game play, ease of use, and fun in wargaming since SP.

It very well could be come the staple of operational wargaming.

Why do I think that KP could become as legendary as SP, simple... as with Chess, you can learn to play in a short amount of time, the rules are simple and solid, but it will take you a long time to master.

I think that is why we see all these stellar reviews for the game, it's simple, solid, and fun - but complex to master. Very rarely do you see such high marks from reviewers for a turned based hex wargame in popular computer gaming magazines, actually NEVER.

thoughts?

BTW - I am getting better.
Post #: 1
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 8/28/2004 10:54:17 AM   
Pustov

My ...Thoughts exactly....It's the best operational wargame ever.

(in reply to Lionfish)
Post #: 2
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 10/7/2004 5:22:43 PM   
bostonrpgmania

Unfortunately I dont think so
Already I am feeling like KP is neglected due to BIN
I am also afraid that there will not be any more fan made scenarios since every body will be using BiN editor
There is even saying that KP and AoD could be converted into BIN in near future

(in reply to Pustov)
Post #: 3
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 10/11/2004 1:23:21 PM   
CoffeeMug

quote:

ORIGINAL: bostonrpgmania

Unfortunately I dont think so
Already I am feeling like KP is neglected due to BIN
I am also afraid that there will not be any more fan made scenarios since every body will be using BiN editor
There is even saying that KP and AoD could be converted into BIN in near future

I have no problem with that, because a lot of people, like myself, will make the plunge afterall, like, when the patch is out.

BTW: Can you play the KP scenarios with BiN?

Yours,

CM

(in reply to bostonrpgmania)
Post #: 4
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 10/12/2004 1:27:12 AM   
Fred98

No, they are different engines.

I would be happy if the KP scenarios remain with KP and new scenarios come out for BIN. Reproducing a scenario doesn't make it more enjoyable. "Been there done that" syndrome sets in.

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 5
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 10/13/2004 9:55:04 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I would be happy if the KP scenarios remain with KP and new scenarios come out for BIN...

Disagree Joe. There's a new engine in town that totally revises game play and feel massively!

The way to increase the series' sales imho is to retrofit KP just like Ardennes to the new standard rather than marketing two conflicting engines.

Good will, good value and good gaming. Revamp ATD to the new engine if need be too.

These projects will take time and labor so charge for them. Download and disc on demand only. Full price if need be but give a hefty discount to original owners of either title as applicable. Eventually phase out the orignal KP and ATD - KP of course isn't downloadable at present.

Not perfect but a workable economic model for our cottage industry. Personally I wouldn't charge but the catayst for that decision and even whether to go ahead I feel, will be the first quarter's sales of BiN. If DB is to have a future post Sicily, I'd be investing the time for a longer term gain. But easy for me to say from the sidelines.

Adam.

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 10/13/2004 5:55:46 PM >

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 11/10/2004 8:05:29 PM   
Awac835

I would whis that the KP scenarios would be made for BIN. I don't know why i never really got into KP the way ive gotten into BIN, becouse the two games ain't that diffrent but i just like the BIN interface and engien alot more. Maybe its becouse i understand the supply rules of BIN, never did uderstand how they worked out for KP.

About DB engien being what SPWaW is for tac gaming im not so sure, try looking at the TOAWCOW forum over at warfareHQ, that game is already for strat gaming what SPWaW is for tactical gaming. I myself have thought of buying TOAW, i like the fact that you feel much more like you in control, a little bit like WiTP. In BIN/KP you feel like you are a subordinate, you get this and this to do with and that will have to do. In WiTP and TOAW you get more that feel that you are high up there comander in chief, it is you who are giving assets to your subordinates and they will then cary it out.
In WiTP this is very true, to a less extent in TOAW, but i still think you get that feeling becouse you can issue airplanes to battles(sure you can to this in bin but it just don't feel the same becouse your not in control of them, they get appointed to you), you decide where those paratroopers should jump out, and you decide where those marines should hit the beaches. You got airfields and you decide that this infantry divison will board that flight, and so on.

If features like those in TOAW where put into the DB engien i would be all over it. It would be the greates operational wargame in the history of computer gaming!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing i would love to see is a operational wargame done with modern conflicts in mind. TOAW can do this but it don't do it very well i have been told. I have only played the demo of TOAW but that did get me impressed alot.

Why do every wargame have to be based on WW2. A operational wargame that would take into account such things as air power and recon would go along way for me.

(in reply to Lionfish)
Post #: 7
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 12/29/2004 11:11:34 AM   
KG_Perun

I must say that I enjoy Decisive Battles engine immensly because of its simplicity (it kind of reminds me of Panzer General series :)).

But there is a game called Panzer Campaings (Kursk)that beats Decisive Battles in accuracy (detailed OOB from company to armygroups ; casualties taken in nr. of man, vehicle , planes ...depending on type of units that fights the combat)

Since PC is somewhat older series based on the same engine all the previous games of that series got updated with the newest releases of the game thus enhancing the gamplay of the older games, which is exactly what , in my opinion, this series (DB) is going for.

It is interesting that both series have released same operations , Normandy and Korsun. If nothing else by playing both, one could get an excellent opurtunity to judge for himself the +'s and -'s of both games.

KG "Perun"

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 8
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 1/2/2005 5:55:21 PM   
hank

I can't imagine much effort being put into anything related to the "KP" engine. Most of the old time DB players have migrated to the "BiN" engine and most don't have desires to go back. The "BiN" engine is a next step evolution of the old DB engine (IMHO); and a great upgrade it is.

However, I sure do wish SSG would migrate the old primary "KP" scenario "campaigns" to the "BiN". Primarily the Korsun Pocket, Across the Dnepr, and maybe throw in a couple of the Korsun battles like Trapped on the Dnepr or Steve's Short Campaign. Personally I would pay a modest fee for these campaigns playable with the latest release of BiN, V1.01. That's just me though and I understand some people would thing these should be freebies. Effort = money and it takes time to convert these scenarios from KP to BiN; I've tried it ... its not that simple. ... and people have to make a living. Actually I think it should be a part of the overall upgrade plan so eventually all the major conflicts of WWII would be available for tournament and general PBEM play.

just my $0.02.

hank

(in reply to KG_Perun)
Post #: 9
RE: KP the next SPWaW? - 1/14/2005 12:36:22 PM   
Empyrean

Yeah, just wanted to jump in here. As someone who has played much PzC, it has huge problems, when it comes to representing the operational level. The Decisive Battles series has focused foremost on operational level effects, whereas PzC starts from the tacictal level, while trying to set up operational scale scenarios. With PzC it is possible to arrange huge concentrations of force, and create rapid, and powerful local attacks, that don't suffer from strategic considerations. You simply gain an edge, and keep pursuing it. DB doesn't allow this sort of nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, the DB series is a god-send with regard to operational level wargaming. Hallelujah

< Message edited by Empyrean -- 1/14/2005 11:42:51 PM >

(in reply to KG_Perun)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> KP the next SPWaW? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI