Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick question from a MC noob

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Quick question from a MC noob Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick question from a MC noob - 1/17/2005 12:35:20 AM   
CatLord

Hi guys,

I am currently waiting for the turn of my UV opponent, and I was thinking, "To Hell with him , I will install my shiny new 8.2 SPWaW from the CD and start a MC". Then I remember having read somewhere that once you start a battle, you cannot save the game until the battle is over. Is that right ? Does it mean I need to plan a full afternoon (or at least a couple of hours) to play a single battle of a MC ?

Cat

Member of the Revolution Under Siege development team.
Post #: 1
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 1/17/2005 1:43:19 AM   
Kokoda

MC saves are automatic, so when you break off during a battle you return to the same spot. So you don't have to set aside the time to play the whole battle. What you can't 'easily' do it to try a few tactical options by resorting to an earlier save as you can with a built in campaign.

To 'save' the staus of a MC game you need to find the save in the MC/save directory (it will have the name you assigned it) and copy the files into another folder that you create. You can then swap these over into the 'active' save in the MC whenever you want.

I save each scenario in a separate folder so I can return to some points in the 'branches' of the MC, and can also readily use Campaign Watcher.

Hope this helps...

CHRIS

(in reply to CatLord)
Post #: 2
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 1/17/2005 5:30:26 AM   
plloyd

Check the thread Problem installing MC with SPWAW 8.2. Your answer is there. Don't forget the sound files.

< Message edited by plloyd -- 1/16/2005 8:34:16 PM >

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to CatLord)
Post #: 3
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 1/17/2005 11:18:38 AM   
slyone

If I remember well, and the forum colleagues should correct me if I'm wrong, the only MC saving problem is with the per-turn-victory-hexes. I think that when saving in the middle of a battle MC forgets all the points that you earned in the current battle thanks to securing per-turn-victory-hexes. So that when you reload it another day the point counting for this type of hexes starts from zero (from the saved turn).

Panzerschütze Altmann
Panzer 623
Pz.Abt. II
1. Panzer Regiment

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 4
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 1/17/2005 5:54:24 PM   
CatLord

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kokoda

MC saves are automatic, so when you break off during a battle you return to the same spot. So you don't have to set aside the time to play the whole battle. What you can't 'easily' do it to try a few tactical options by resorting to an earlier save as you can with a built in campaign.

To 'save' the staus of a MC game you need to find the save in the MC/save directory (it will have the name you assigned it) and copy the files into another folder that you create. You can then swap these over into the 'active' save in the MC whenever you want.

I save each scenario in a separate folder so I can return to some points in the 'branches' of the MC, and can also readily use Campaign Watcher.

Hope this helps...
So what you are saying is just that it only use one single save slot, so if you really badly manage a battle, you can not go back to the previous one, and redo it ?

That would suit me, I don't mind...

Thanks

Cat

Member of the Revolution Under Siege development team.

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 5
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 1/19/2005 2:52:00 AM   
Kokoda

Yes it uses a single save slot, but it is not in the usual 'save' directory that allows you to load it again. MC have their own save directory in the MC directory. Each time you save in the battle it automatically overwrites the last save. I think even if you rename the file it still saves into the original slot.

I don't mind it because I think you shouldn't be able to have 'mulligans'. "I'll just move my King Tiger one more hex...BOOM! Ooops! WBW obviously designed this war. I'll reload my save and try something else!" was not an option available to the war-time commmanders..

The only way I know to provide more flexibility is to copy this save into another directory that you create. You can always copy at turn 5, stuff things up by turn 10, and then have another go by moving your turn 5 save to replace the automatically generated save in the MC save folder. So you CAN replay the turns if you fiddle about a bit.

I'd forgotten about the per-turn VH. That is still a problem. On another issue - You can't afford to get too precise about the way in which the scoring happens - sometimes it does not appear very logical.

CHRIS

(in reply to CatLord)
Post #: 6
RE: Quick question from a MC noob - 2/1/2005 2:11:17 AM   
Wild Bill

Actually it waqs Michael Wood who insisted that it be this way. I personally opted for the save as you go method. I'm just not that good.

Your solution is a good one Kokoda. It almost always works. I only no of one instance where it did not for me. Having numerous saves is possible if you copy them to another file folder. I usually name them in some way as to remember where they go, perhaps in the case of MC-SE with the regiment # and a short word indicating which battle it is.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Quick question from a MC noob Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI