Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Holy Freakin AI Batman

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Holy Freakin AI Batman Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/11/2005 5:52:21 AM   
stretch

Ok a little advice here...

Campaign against Jap AI, historical setting. The Japs marched straight up and took Rangoon in late December and kept going with one division and took Mandalay on Jan 15th. I started moving everything I could towards there on turn 1 and that just isn't enough time to get there. What the heck can I do? do I just abandon Mandalay from the beginning and concentrate futher upstream?

So I take it this is standard practice for Jap human player in a PBEM game since it seemingly cannot be stopped?
Post #: 1
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/11/2005 9:04:31 AM   
2ndACR

Park a bombardment TF out of sight and then hit Tavoy and Mouliem as soon as the Japanese troops arive there. It will drive up their fatigue levels and disruption and slow them down tremendously. Plus it makes them weaker in combat.

That will give you some extra time.

I have had this tactic used against me in PBEM.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 2
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/11/2005 6:43:42 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Park a bombardment TF out of sight and then hit Tavoy and Mouliem as soon as the Japanese troops arive there. It will drive up their fatigue levels and disruption and slow them down tremendously. Plus it makes them weaker in combat.

I did try that against AI.... I think I miscalculated a bit, so it cost me BB Prince of Wales sunk and BC Repulse damaged I saved from Singapore...
There was lots of Betties in Tavoy when I reached it.

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/11/2005 10:23:57 PM   
Mynok

Ya know what's worse? Sitting comfortably as Japan at Moumein waiting for divisions and aircraft to free up from the Malaya conquest and suddenly receive the report "Japan occupies Rangoon" in your op report.

Now I'm not complaining overly much, as it is very helpful when those little dots and other empty bases get captured without any effort elsewhere, but Rangoon?!? I didn't want it yet! I can't protect it yet! Now it'll have the crap bombed out of it before I can get CAP there, or I'll have to denude my air assets in Malaya. This is going to hurt my Sumatra operations as well.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/11/2005 11:22:48 PM   
mlees

Do you have anything under computer control?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 5
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/12/2005 1:06:21 AM   
Mynok

This is a new feature apparently. I've nothing under computer control, and there were no units in Rangoon....mine or his. When you capture a base, empty bases and dots next to it can be occupied and captured without combat by the system during turn execution.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 6
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/12/2005 2:08:46 AM   
dtravel

Its not a new feature, been in the game from the beginning I believe. (Or at least from the 1.2 patch.)

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 7
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/12/2005 3:44:06 AM   
Mynok

Last game I played was UV....... it's new to me!

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 8
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/13/2005 12:13:26 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I did try that against AI.... I think I miscalculated a bit, so it cost me BB Prince of Wales sunk and BC Repulse damaged I saved from Singapore...
There was lots of Betties in Tavoy when I reached it.

Cheers,

M.S.

Oops. I should have said unless he parks a/c there.

You basically have to have the ships ready and waiting from game start and as soon as the Japanese show up in Tavoy, hit him. Before he has even taken the base. Hit him.

Then hit him again when he hits Mouleim. That will slow down the Japanese player alot. Plus it will allow you to either fort up some more or pull back better.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/13/2005 5:48:16 PM   
Sardaukar

I hope that in my ongoing "introductory" campaign (with AI as historical level) that AI doesn't get an idea to make amphibious invasion to India... I even couldn't hold Akyab against IJA steamroller this time. But I'm quite confident to hold Ledo-Kohima-Imphal and the end of rail line near Akyab...it's almost mid-April 42 now. But I've pulled almost all troops but base forces from bases in eastern coast of India to defend my line in east. I hope AI Japan doesn't get an idea to land into some base...I don't have anything but Royal Navy to secure the coast (few base forces too, but they rarely count)...and with Brit CV and CVL I'd not like to try my luck against even "mini-Kido Butai". Against human I prolly would lose most of India...Trincomalee and Colombo are well-garrisoned, though...at least relatively compared.

Since this is my first caampaign in WitP, I had delusions about trying to keep Mandalay. I had 2 brigades smashed in Pagan and Tang Gyi...but what happened in Mandalay was worse. Now I have half-dozen units slowly hacking their way through jungle to reach China (since Japan has cut Burma Road). I don't get why my troops decided to retreat to NE to open hilly country instead to east which has trail. Now it'll take months and months to get those guys out...and even then they cannot get back to India.

I was trying the Bombardment-thingy in Tavoy..but I miscalculated that in day (or maybe 2) and AI got bombers there....end of story for that attack. Now I'm thinking about hitting Akyab...but that experience has made me very cautious..I know AI has considerable air power in Rangoon. Well...maybe in 1943 I may start to try something more active

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/14/2005 12:25:58 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I hope that in my ongoing "introductory" campaign (with AI as historical level) that AI doesn't get an idea to make amphibious invasion to India... I even couldn't hold Akyab against IJA steamroller this time. But I'm quite confident to hold Ledo-Kohima-Imphal and the end of rail line near Akyab...it's almost mid-April 42 now. But I've pulled almost all troops but base forces from bases in eastern coast of India to defend my line in east. I hope AI Japan doesn't get an idea to land into some base...I don't have anything but Royal Navy to secure the coast (few base forces too, but they rarely count)...and with Brit CV and CVL I'd not like to try my luck against even "mini-Kido Butai". Against human I prolly would lose most of India...Trincomalee and Colombo are well-garrisoned, though...at least relatively compared.

Since this is my first caampaign in WitP, I had delusions about trying to keep Mandalay. I had 2 brigades smashed in Pagan and Tang Gyi...but what happened in Mandalay was worse. Now I have half-dozen units slowly hacking their way through jungle to reach China (since Japan has cut Burma Road). I don't get why my troops decided to retreat to NE to open hilly country instead to east which has trail. Now it'll take months and months to get those guys out...and even then they cannot get back to India.

I was trying the Bombardment-thingy in Tavoy..but I miscalculated that in day (or maybe 2) and AI got bombers there....end of story for that attack. Now I'm thinking about hitting Akyab...but that experience has made me very cautious..I know AI has considerable air power in Rangoon. Well...maybe in 1943 I may start to try something more active

Cheers,

M.S.

nice to see someone struggling against the AI

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 11
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/14/2005 2:19:43 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Its sad to see the elite Imperial troops fall so far in skill.

( If you don't get it, go read 'Dune'.)

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 12
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/14/2005 2:34:16 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Its sad to see the elite Imperial troops fall so far in skill.

( If you don't get it, go read 'Dune'.)

read it and saw the movie. but dont remember that part. its been awhile... refresh me!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/13/2005 7:34:34 PM >

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 13
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/14/2005 3:44:41 PM   
Sardaukar

Sardaukars were the elite Imperial troopers in Dune

Sadly...this one is/was failing miserably against AI . But I blame the fact it's my first WitP campaign (scen 16)..and actually my second WitP game after few turns of tutorial ...and I didn't have UV.... And manuals...who reads stinking manuals ?!?!?

Sooo....I made few bad decisions, but I'm getting things right way now. Just got into May 1942 and Japanese invaded Guadalcanal....I sent CV Lexington and CV Enterprise to check if Kido Butai is there...

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 14
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/20/2005 8:01:58 AM   
dan frick

Same thinf happened to me, the Brits all bagged ass of to China. I have no idea what to do whth them. It's mid 43 in my game and I'm thinking of attacking Hanoi or Hong Kong.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
RE: Holy Freakin AI Batman - 1/20/2005 12:44:37 PM   
Marten

looks like I had lot's of luck at tavoy against AI. I've sent two british BB's some CA's and CLAA's to bombard it at night, they arrived unopposed and destroyed LOTS of aircrafts on the ground (namely: zeros, bettys, nells and so on) and now my artificial imperial opponent is holding only some nates there. every three days, or so, my fleet sails to tavoy on bombardment mission, every day my b17 are raining death on tavoy, 2E bombers and fighters are disrupting japanese troops on their way to rangoon. so far so good.

(in reply to dan frick)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Holy Freakin AI Batman Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI