Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/24/2005 4:27:50 PM   
IBTyrone

The Bridge at Remagen

A mini-campaign for SP:WAW 8.3

A three scenario mini-campaign chronicling the attack and capture of the Ludendorff Bridge, near Remagen, Germany, March 7th and 8th, 1945.

Design: Jeff "IBTyrone" Groeling

Historical Background:

On the morning of March 7, 1945, the spearhead of Hoge’s Combat Command B of the 9th Armored Division, Task Force Engemann, led by Lt. Colonel Leonard Engemann was ordered to ordered to reach the Rhine as quick as possible and then turn South to meet up with other elements of the 9th Division. Task Force Engemann was composed of Company A of 27th Armored Infantry Battalion, commanded by 2nd Lt Karl Timmerman, and elements of Company A, 14th Tank Battalion,led by Captain George "The Greek" Soumas which included a platoon of newly arrived M26 Pershing tanks, commanded by Lt. John Grimball. Only four Pershings were available as the fifth was in for repair. Also attached to TF Engemann was one platoon of C Troop of the 89th Calvary Reconnaissance squadron.
Despite sporadic resistance on the way to the Rhine River the morning of the 7th, TF Engemann reached the heights above Remagen near St. Apollinaris church around noon to find the Ludendorff Bridge on the Southeastern edge of town still standing.

Colonel Engemann was faced with a dilemma--call in artillery and aircraft to destroy the bridge and prevent more Germans from retreating across or to make an attempt to capture it. Engemann made a decision to try and capture the bridge intact and sent his troops and tanks into Remagen to secure the town before making an attempt on the bridge. As the Americans approached the bridge, the Germans blew a large crater on the approach to the bridge to stop tanks from crossing. Lt. Timmerman's company fought their way across the bridge under intense enemy fire as the Germans attempted to destroy it with demolition charges. Several explosions damaged part of the bridge, but the main charges failed to fire and the bridge remained standing.

After capturing the bridge, Lt. Timmerman ordered his second platoon, commanded by Lt. Jim Burrows, to capture the heights above the bridge in order to secure the bridgehead. After a hard fight up the 600 foot Eperler Ley with Germans shooting and rolling grenades down on his men, Burrows managed to secure the heights.

By the evening, the engineers were able to fill the crater on the approach to bridge and make enough repairs to the bridge to start moving armor across. However, the Pershings had to stay in Remagen because the engineers were uncertain whether the shaky bridge would be able to hold their weight. The other nine Shermans of company A, 14th Tank Batallion, moved across and took up positions along a 3,000 frontage of the bridgehead. After the Shermans crossed, a tank destroyer from the 656th Batallion began to move across and slipped off the bridge roadway. The tank destroyer was perched precariously on two beams blocking all vehicular traffic across the bridge until it could be cleared at 5:30am on the morning of the 8th. While the engineers were working feverishly to remove the trapped tank destroyer, the Germans launched several determined counterattacks during the night to get close enough to the bridge to blow it up. The Germans engaged in a fierce local struggle with the first Americans to cross the bridge and just before dawn a handful with the explosives actually managed to reach the bridge. American troops from the 78th Infantry Division captured them before they could place the explosive on the bridge from the truck.

On the 17th of March 1945 the Ludendorff Bridge collapsed. 28 American engineers attempting to repair the bridge lost their lives. In the ten days that the bridge had been in American hands, several pontoon bridges across the Rhine had been completed. There was no immediate further need for the Ludendorff span.

The capture of the bridge is known in the annals of the war as the "Miracle of Remagen". General Eisenhower stated that "the bridge is worth its weight in gold". In the days immediately following, the German High Command made desperate attempts to destroy the bridge by bombing runs by the Luftwaffe and even employing frogmen.

There is no doubt that the capture of the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen had a significant effect on the events leading up to the end of WWII. Probably the greatest impact was in respect to the morale of both the German and Allied Forces and the disruption it caused in both the command and subsequent redeployment of the remaining German Forces. The claims that it shortened the war by one or two weeks are difficult to substantiate but are certainly not unreasonable.

Campaign Notes:

With True troop off/Rarity off, there are 1312 points to apply toward the purchase of a mechanized infantry company and a cavalry reconnaissance section. A historically correct version of the mechanized infantry company would include 57mm AT guns, 60mm M2 mortars and jeeps. The calvary recon section can be purchased under the armored area for 131 points. In this version of the crossing of the Rhine, the mini-campaign is far from bloodless and perhaps more challenging than might or should be expected. Part of this is due to limitations in the game engine (German morale was very low by this stage in the war) and optimal cooperation between different segments of German forces possible in the game (The AA units play much more significant a role in this mini-campaign than they did in reality). That being said, I have made a very strong effort to be as historically accurate as possible. Maps and troop strengths are as good as possible given the books and online resources available.

References:

Hechler, Ken. "The Bridge at Remagen: The Amazing Story of March 7, 1945- The Day the Rhine River Was Crossed" Pictorial Histories Publishing Company; Revised edition (January 1, 1994)

"The Bridge." Booklet, n.d. 30 p. D757.9R4B75.
http://www.mindspring.com/~sgasque/army/bridge.htm

"The 9th: The Story of the 9th Armored Division" Booklet text available online:
http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/9tharmored/

Available for download over at the SPWAW forums:
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4311

And now available at the filedepot over a Wargamer:
http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3883

< Message edited by IBTyrone -- 1/26/2005 9:40:39 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 12:02:37 AM   
KG Erwin

Yeah, good one, IBTyrone. For those who don't know, author Ken Hechler is a former West Virginia Secretary of State, and last year lost a bid for re-election. I see him once in a while in downtown Charleston, where I work, and I have an autographed copy of the book, which was given to me by a friend. I don't know the man personally, but the next time I see him, I'll introduce myself and tell him about this campaign.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 2
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 3:49:56 AM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Yeah, good one, IBTyrone. For those who don't know, author Ken Hechler is a former West Virginia Secretary of State, and last year lost a bid for re-election. I see him once in a while in downtown Charleston, where I work, and I have an autographed copy of the book, which was given to me by a friend. I don't know the man personally, but the next time I see him, I'll introduce myself and tell him about this campaign.

I'd appreciate it, Gunny. The book was a good read and the best source I could find on the capture of the bridge. I did not know Hechler was in politics. I would have thought he was still doing military history given his background and connections. The copy of the book I got my hands on (via Inter-Library Loan) was an original 1957 copy so the information about the author was a little out of date.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 4:13:44 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: IBTyrone

quote:

I'd appreciate it, Gunny. The book was a good read and the best source I could find on the capture of the bridge. I did not know Hechler was in politics. I would have thought he was still doing military history given his background and connections. The copy of the book I got my hands on (via Inter-Library Loan) was an original 1957 copy so the information about the author was a little out of date.

I'll see what I can do, Jeff. The former Secretary is now nearly 90 years old, but still sharp. He is from that WWII generation, and we need to remind him what he did for the vets of the war. I guess he could be considered West Virginia's version of Steven Ambrose. He has quite a reputation as a patriot for the state, and a strong supporter of the Democratic Party (the party of Roosevelt and Truman).

BTW, where are you from, Jeff? You should add your state of residence (or your country) to your profile.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 4
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 4:22:47 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

I'll see what I can do, Jeff. The former Secretary is now nearly 90 years old, but still sharp. He is from that WWII generation, and we need to remind him what he did for the vets of the war. I guess he could be considered West Virginia's version of Steven Ambrose. He has quite a reputation as a patriot for the state, and a strong supporter of the Democratic Party (the party of Roosevelt and Truman).

I figured he was getting up there in years. Too bad he lost the election. I hope he finds something else to fill his time. Sometimes that loss of direction in life can be hard when you get older.

quote:

BTW, where are you from, Jeff? You should add your state of residence (or your country) to your profile.

I live near Lexington, KY now, but grew up in Indiana. I need to update my profile. Haven't looked at it for awhile.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 7:41:46 PM   
robot

Tyrone Im from ky myself. Wife and I live in Covington across from Cin. Oh. My brothers daughter lives some where in Lexington.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 6
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 10:23:55 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

Tyrone Im from ky myself. Wife and I live in Covington across from Cin. Oh. My brothers daughter lives some where in Lexington.

Hi Robot. I had noticed in your AARs that you hailed from Covington. I pass through all the time going to and from Indiana. The traffic around Louisville is obnoxious. I always park in Covington and walk across the Roebling Bridge to go to Reds games. It's a beautiful walk.

I enjoyed the last AAR tremendously BTW--the bit with the card game and luger was great!

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 7
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/25/2005 11:17:26 PM   
robot

Tyrone ive walked across that bridge too many times to count. I live on 4th street across from the IRS building. There is two twin senior citizen buildings there. You have probaly went past them yourself a few times. Glad to see a fellow Kentuckian has the same interests. And thank you for the kind words.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 8
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/26/2005 4:46:16 PM   
IBTyrone

That's a great place to live, Robot--within walking distance of downtown Cincinnati and most everything you'd need or want to do. Cincy has one of the nicest downtowns that I've been to. A lot better than some other cities in Ohio.

Keep up the good work with the AARs!

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 9
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 1/26/2005 4:47:33 PM   
IBTyrone

The mini-campaign is now available over at Wargamer:

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3883

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 10
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/7/2005 7:35:41 PM   
__Creeper__

Do the germans have a jagdtiger defending the bridge? Iv read from a couple diffrent sources that a Jagdtiger took part in the defence of the bridge, and also theres a game called panzer front wich features a ludendourf bridge scenario in wich there is a jagdtiger on the other side of the bridge

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 11
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/7/2005 8:40:20 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: __Creeper__

Do the germans have a jagdtiger defending the bridge? Iv read from a couple diffrent sources that a Jagdtiger took part in the defence of the bridge, and also theres a game called panzer front wich features a ludendourf bridge scenario in wich there is a jagdtiger on the other side of the bridge

Nope. As far as I can tell, there was not a Jagdtiger at the bridge at the time when the Americans crossed--at least according to Ken Hechler in his book. I also did not come across a mention of a Jagdtiger in any of the other accounts I've read.

However...there may have been a Jagdtiger involved in some of the sporadic counterattacks on the bridgehead after the Americans captured it. The counterattacks by the Germans were for the most part disjointed, unorganized affairs which did not fare well after the first night. After it became apparent that they couldn't retake the bridge with counterattacks, they started using artillery and aircraft bombardment to knock the bridge down. A Jagdtiger would have made the capture more challenging, that's for sure, but Willi Bratge, the German commander, only had a depleted security company, some engineers and AA units at his disposal.

If you have some other sources I missed, Creeper, I'd like to take a look at them!

(in reply to __Creeper__)
Post #: 12
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/8/2005 7:48:54 AM   
__Creeper__

I cant remember the places Iv read it, although Im almost sure it was refrenced on the history channel, maybe I heard it on the program called "tanks"

one things for sure, I know Iv heard it from more than one source

a simple google search for jagdtiger at remagen comes up with lots of stuff,
the first 3 results were

http://www.battletanks.com/jadtiger.htm

http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/Panzer/tankdestroy2b.html

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:UnhKdLiJheAJ:www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5353/jtiger.htm+jagdtiger+at+remagen&hl=en&start=4

and the list goes on, just google it yourself Im sure youll find evidence

< Message edited by __Creeper__ -- 2/8/2005 5:49:42 AM >

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 13
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/8/2005 3:28:29 PM   
IBTyrone

Alright. I'll look into it. Thanks Creeper.

Post #: 14
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/8/2005 3:52:48 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey Creeper.

I read through the links you sent and two of the three confirmed what I thought--that the Jagdtigers were part of counteroffensives to retake the bridgehead. I copy and pasted the relevant text from the two sites below:

quote:

http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/Panzer/tankdestroy2b.html

Pasted text:
The first action of sPzAbt 512 was against the new American bridgehead in Remagen, where the Allied forces had been able to cross the Rhine. The action failed, and during their retreat the Jagdtigers could destroy following Sherman tanks at a distance of two kilometers and more.

Hechler pointed out that the 11th Panzer Division was in the general vicinity and had 4000 men, 25 tanks, and 18 artillery pieces available for counterattack. Hechler thought if these units had struck immediately after the capture of the bridge, they could have collapsed the bridgehead. But...forward elements of the 11th Panzer did not begin to move toward the bridgehead until the evening of March 8th.

quote:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:UnhKdLiJheAJ:www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5353/jtiger.htm+jagdtiger+at+remagen&hl=en&start=4

Pasted text:
The 653rd was employed on the Western Front during the Ardennes offensive, and later with the 512th in the defence of Germany proper, in such actions as that of the Remagen Bridgehead on 10 March 1945.

The Americans crossed the bridge on the afternoon of March 7th. The 653rd moved three days after the bridge had been crossed. By the time they got moving, the Americans were too well established on the other side of the river for the Germans to push them back across.

My mini-campaign only covers events from the morning of March 7th until 3am March 8th. If I do decide to add another counterattack to it, there will be Jagdtigers.

Thanks for the info, Creeper.

Post #: 15
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/9/2005 7:31:11 PM   
__Creeper__

right, oh well, I didnt look to far into the details to realize those points, I just knew that Id heard about it somewhere

I wonder why the Germans didnt have their jagdtigers in defence of the bridge, it would seem the perfect position for a Jagdtiger or 2

< Message edited by __Creeper__ -- 2/9/2005 5:32:57 PM >

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 16
RE: New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign - 2/9/2005 9:25:22 PM   
IBTyrone

Good question, Creeper.

Hechler outlines several reasons including Wehrmacht priorities elsewhere, lack of communication and cooperation on the German side, and the rapid speed of the American advance.

*Any* German armor on the other side of the bridge would pretty much have stopped the attack cold since the Americans couldn't get tanks across it initially. Even one AT gun would have given the Americans fits. However, until the Germans got the bridge in the water, the Americans would have probably tried taking it no matter what the cost.

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Bridge at Remagen mini-campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI